National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Well as bad as that was, the good news is that still wasn't the worst Bears offensive performance I've ever seen. Certainly up there. But the #1 spot still goes to that infamous Jimmy Clausen vs Seattle punt game that gave us this graphic:

bears_9drives.jpg

Also, holy shit do we miss Akiem Hicks, cause teams are just running right through us without him at the middle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yuna4353 said:

I don't want to say this SNF game was bad, it was just meh. Dallas was the better team tonight, and with all the injuries the Eagles had, they are just a mess. 

Yeah well said, Cowboys played great and eagles as you say are just struggling with the injuries though the 2 early fumbles didn’t help them

15 hours ago, SnakeonaBoat said:

Well as bad as that was, the good news is that still wasn't the worst Bears offensive performance I've ever seen. Certainly up there. But the #1 spot still goes to that infamous Jimmy Clausen vs Seattle punt game that gave us this graphic:

Also, holy shit do we miss Akiem Hicks, cause teams are just running right through us without him at the middle.

Seeing Jimmy Clausen's name got a chuckle out of me.  Thanks for that.

Bears have more trouble than Trubisky at the helm; it's Nagy. Look at the run/pass disparity on Sunday - 7/54!! Is Nagy trying to be David Klingler's run-and-shoot from the 90s?!? With no hint of a run, D lines are going to rush like mad and tee off on the QB. And it looks like that's what the Saints did.  Everybody wants to hire that young, "offensive genius" but part of being a coach is being adaptable as well.

And great observation on the D line. Khalil Mack gets all the press, but when I have watched the Bears, Hicks is just as much of a wrecking ball. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Okay, I'm hereby issuing a public apology to Kirk Cousins. I still question your ability to show up in prime time games, but when it's 1 PM on Sundays, you're my man. Cook reminds me of AP in his prime.

Sad to see Marvin Jones' 4 TD day go to waste, but how about the NFC North this year? They're all scary good.

After the Chicago loss, Stefanski has called for a lot more play-action, rollout passing plays for Kirk, and he has thrived with getting a bit more time to survey the field. Why they tried to keep him in the pocket vs. Chicago's vaunted rush is still perplexing. We've done the bootleg/rollouts for three games now so teams will start adjusting by leaving a DE or LB back, but Kirk is better at eluding guys in the open field, than having pocket poise. That's three straight 300-yard games, with back-to-back four TD games (and his 1 INT was Diggs' fault). 

Now Kirk goes to primetime on Thursday, but I have a bit of faith in him as it's at home, vs. his old team (payback!) and the Skins are frankly, terrible. Hopefully, I don't have to eat my words, but the rest of the nation should see Good Kirk this week. We have a few away primetime games in Nov. so there'll be a few more chances for everyone to giggle again at Bad Kirk. 

But he deserves some accolades for his stellar play the last three weeks. 

And the road game in early Nov. at Arrowhead is a Noon kickoff! :yay:

• Like 1

@PerryToxteth, I thought of you this weekend as I watched the 4th Q and OT of the UNC game.  Must have been a highly entertaining game at least but I thought you had it won a couple of times!  The late holding call in OT was brutal; you would have had 1st and Goal and I think only needing a FG to win.  As it was the longer field goal just missed wide right by a yard.  After the penalty, the Heels for playing for the field goal so why not line the ball up in the middle of the field instead of the right hash.

I was not aware of the change in college football OT rules.  Starting with the 5th OT, it goes to alternating 2-point conversion tries - that is crazy.  Perhaps by the 7th OT, it just goes to flip a coin!

For the NFL, the Cowboys put a massive beatdown on the Eagles; I wonder if Doug Pederson will guarantee a victory in the rematch.  Cowboys got Amari Cooper back (special talent) and the two offensive tackles - night and day difference from the week before.  But they did lose two key defenders due to injury during the game.

Baltimore is fun to watch, Lamar Jackson (not sure he can hold up with his frame) and two defensive touchdowns under DC Wink Martindale - lol, yes, that is his name.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Now Kirk goes to primetime on Thursday, but I have a bit of faith in him as it's at home, vs. his old team (payback!) and the Skins are frankly, terrible. Hopefully, I don't have to eat my words, but the rest of the nation should see Good Kirk this week. We have a few away primetime games in Nov. so there'll be a few more chances for everyone to giggle again at Bad Kirk. 

But he deserves some accolades for his stellar play the last three weeks.

I'm glad the Redskins game is at home too...but mostly because their field is crap, and I don't want to risk any more injuries. It's going to be weird seeing Keenum and AP play for the other team, since both jerseys I own have their names on them. ?

We might have really lucked out by getting KC when Mahomes isn't playing. Unfortunately, so does Green Bay. They could run the table with the schedule they have coming up. I don't know how the tiebreakers will work, but that game on December 23 may decide the division, unless the Bears or Lions jump back into the mix.

Either way, I like when Kirk plays mad. We should light a fire under him more often.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, djb5f said:

@PerryToxteth, I thought of you this weekend as I watched the 4th Q and OT of the UNC game.  Must have been a highly entertaining game at least but I thought you had it won a couple of times!  The late holding call in OT was brutal; you would have had 1st and Goal and I think only needing a FG to win.  As it was the longer field goal just missed wide right by a yard.  After the penalty, the Heels for playing for the field goal so why not line the ball up in the middle of the field instead of the right hash.

I was not aware of the change in college football OT rules.  Starting with the 5th OT, it goes to alternating 2-point conversion tries - that is crazy.  Perhaps by the 7th OT, it just goes to flip a coin!

I have an ulcer and it's name is Blacksburg! 

Honestly, I don't think I've been to a sporting event with so much of an elation/ frustration / depression roller coaster, but I guess that's what six overtimes will do to you.  Both teams had so many chances to win it, Heels' inexperience definitely foiled them many times. Worst one was on the coaching staff though. In the (4th?) OT, UNC lined up for a FG, kicker made it, but they got a delay of game penalty. How did nobody on that coaching staff see a dying play clock and call a timeout??? 

And yes, the entire crowd was shocked about the 5th OT rule. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a fan in the stands who knew that rule. Looking back, I wish they kept with the original rules. Then again, I had been in the stands for 5+ hours at that point, so I guess the rule is there to finish the game quicker. :hmm:

In the end, I can handle the loss because it was one for the record books. Any time you go to a road game, you hope for a good game and that's what we got. You can never expect a win on the road, especially in Lane Stadium, but damn were we close! 

And I laughed about the Cow Country moniker. I guess UVA has never had a road game to Iowa City or Ames!  :P

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Welp, this game was entertaining for not a single solitary second.

Darnold's making it entertaining. As in, I haven't seen anybody make such terrible passing decisions since...Jimmy Clausen? 

Honestly, it's not even the Patriots defensive scheme. It's watching a QB at the NFL level make decisions that a high school JV quarterback shouldn't make. 

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Darnold's making it entertaining. As in, I haven't seen anybody make such terrible passing decisions since...Jimmy Clausen? 

Honestly, it's not even the Patriots defensive scheme. It's watching a QB at the NFL level make decisions that a high school JV quarterback shouldn't make. 

This is what's driving me crazy, all the media talking heads can't gush enough about the Pats' defense and how "historic" their performance is but seriously c'mon:

- Dolphins, no explanation needed.

- Jets, minus their starting QB right?

- Bills, minus their starting and backup QB right?

- Redskins, another juggernaut that's not  a complete mess at all.

- Giants, rookie QB

- and the Jets again, a game where Darnold apparently thought the Jets were in their white jerseys.

The one "competent" offense they've played is the Steelers, who the Pats have been slapping around for years.  I'm not trying to completely discredit what they're doing (just 99% discrediting because I am a pure hater) because Belichik is a scheming god and I'm certain he's going to make Mayfield look like a complete fool but damn.  Funniest thing is, every time the 9ers defense is brought up the same talking heads immediately point out their strength of schedule to dismiss 'em.

Edited by skidmarkgn

Did you see Belichick looked almost amused after those back to back penalties? xD Strange from his default grumpy face.

The Pats play the Browns next. Might be kinder if they forfeit. I read somewhere online that the Browns coach was almost fired after last week's game. Not sure if there's any truth, though considering the idiots who run the team, wouldn't be surprised. Maybe the Pats will cause another head coach to get fired this week.

And this weekend is gonna be tough for the Chiefs. Hell, it would be even if Mahomes was playing.

22 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

because Belichik is a scheming god

13 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Did you see Belichick looked almost amused after those back to back penalties? xD Strange from his default grumpy face.

Seeing Belichick's face cracking into those mini smiles was probably the funniest thing we're gonna see in the NFL for a long time lol.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Funniest thing is, every time the 9ers defense is brought up the same talking heads immediately point out their strength of schedule to dismiss 'em.

And that's BS 'cause I can guarantee you that defense is real on top even without a starting CB

He's a great coach and all, but Bill Belichick was a dick last night.  His hatred for the Jets -- on a personal level, because there's no good "professional" reason to dislike the Jets right now -- had him running up the score and doing other things that fell clearly into the realm of "bad sportsmanship".

Otherwise, there's not really much to say about last night's "game".  Sam Darnold's mechanics were terrible; his decision-making was sub-optimal, but I blame most of those interceptions on his continually throwing off his back foot as opposed to making stupid decisions.  Add to that Adam Gase's piss-poor play-calling -- run the football some more and mix in a bunch of short passes to help your quarterback, you idiot! -- and you had a recipe for a disaster.  The Jets' defense wasn't terrible, all things considered, especially in light of how much time they spent on the field and the situations the offense kept putting them in.

At least Gang Green's schedule finally lets up now.  They've still got Oakland, at-Buffalo, and at-Baltimore (on a Thursday!) on their slate, but they also have Miamix2, at-Cincinnati, at-Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, at-Washington, and the Giants to play.  The playoffs are probably a non-possibility, but this team could win 7 or 8 games before it's all said and done.

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

This is what's driving me crazy, all the media talking heads can't gush enough about the Pats' defense and how "historic" their performance is but seriously c'mon:

- Dolphins, no explanation needed.

- Jets, minus their starting QB right?

- Bills, minus their starting and backup QB right?

- Redskins, another juggernaut that's not  a complete mess at all.

- Giants, rookie QB

- and the Jets again, a game where Darnold apparently thought the Jets were in their white jerseys.

The one "competent" offense they've played is the Steelers, who the Pats have been slapping around for years.  I'm not trying to completely discredit what they're doing (just 99% discrediting because I am a pure hater) because Belichik is a scheming god and I'm certain he's going to make Mayfield look like a complete fool but damn.  Funniest thing is, every time the 9ers defense is brought up the same talking heads immediately point out their strength of schedule to dismiss 'em.

Absolutely true.

But at the same time, you can't fault the Pats for the schedule that the NFL made them. This isn't college where the coaches can choose to add a couple non-conference cupcakes.  New England has played who they were scheduled to play, and they deserve  some accolades because they are putting up numbers that haven't been seen in 100 years! There's been plenty of fantastic teams from decades ago that haven't equaled the scoring ratio numbers seen this year. It's the journalists job to point things out like that. Of course, most talking heads can't really qualify as true "journalists," but mere blow hards; so yes, the endless adorations get to be a bit much. But that's pretty much society these days. Forget the facts, let me tell you my opinion for the next 20 minutes...

But yes, as a Pats fan I am eager to see the D get tested by better offenses, and that will come in November. I am also hoping to watch Baker Mayfield get embarrassed, as probably are most NFL fans. His commercials are terrible, btw. 

- NE faced Josh Allen in Week 4. He got picked three times, but I can't remember if he got hurt or got pulled. 

- And I'm pretty sure Belichick cracked a bigger smile about the penalties on the punt than he has in the last couple Super Bowl victories. 

Adam Gase is upset ESPN played Sam Darnold saying he saw ghosts while being mic'd up. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2019/10/22/sam-darnold-seeing-ghosts-new-york-jets/4063954002/

Well, if they agreed to it, anything that doesn't run afoul of the FCC is fair game!

Edited by MidnightDragon

14 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Adam Gase is upset ESPN played Sam Darnold saying he saw ghosts while being mic'd up. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2019/10/22/sam-darnold-seeing-ghosts-new-york-jets/4063954002/

Well, if they agreed to it, anything that doesn't run afoul of the FCC is fair game!

There's supposed to be an understanding that certain things recorded by the cameras and microphones on the sidelines are to stay private and not get aired on television.  Mostly, things that can make the players or teams look really bad.

Mind you, this isn't an ESPN issue because they're not the judge of what is supposed to be allowed on the broadcast -- allegedly, it's NFL Films that's the gatekeeper here.  But ESPN (theoretically) should know better, because I imagine that if there are more incidents of this nature, teams will either refuse to let their players get mic'ed up or the League will have something to say when contracts come up for re-negotiation.

Adam Gase has bigger problems, and this whole ghost quote is a mountain made from a molehill.  But ESPN or NFL Films or whomever should still know better.

2 hours ago, majob said:

With the Lions trading Quandre Diggs this early in the season to the Seahawks for a weak draft pick its pretty clear the franchise has given up on the season

Yay.......

You and another Lions fan on this site seem to be pretty high up on Diggs, I'm not super familiar with they guy, what's Seattle getting with him?