National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

Honestly, after this first quarter, this game is already decided and it just shows how the Cowboys are not ready for good teams, they have the players but the coaching just sucks. 

It kinda looks like that, but just remember.........

the Vikings have Cousins as their QB, it's Sunday Night and the lights are bright. The Vikings are quite capable of erffing this one up.

18 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

It kinda looks like that, but just remember.........

the Vikings have Cousins as their QB, it's Sunday Night and the lights are bright. The Vikings are quite capable of erffing this one up.

Yea, I try to be for my team (Cowboys) but it hard because of how bad the playcalling is. at least we don't have many players out 

4 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

Yea, I try to be for my team (Cowboys) but it hard because of how bad the playcalling is. at least we don't have many players out 

Well, whaddya know, the 'Boys have tied it up. Keep the faith, Yuna.

(I'm a Niner fan but I do have some serious cash on this one for the Cowboys).

Just now, Yuna4353 said:

With how good the Niners are doing tomorrow MNG is going to be good. 

Yup. Nice to see the Niners competitive again. Seattle and SF have had some epic battles in the past, maybe this one will be too.

I have high respect for Pete Carroll. (BTW We went to the same high school together.....Redwood High in Marin County California....he was a senior when I was a freshman).

The Niners have a tremendous pass rush..........but we've seen how a mobile playmaker like Kyler Murray (or Russell Wilson NFL MVP) can beat it.

But can the Hawks stop the Niner rushing game? I have my doubts.

(Niners stellar LB Kwon Alexander now out for the season and TE George Kittle is doubtful).

I am a Niners fan and have no love for the Packers or Rodgers, and certainly not for the Panthers (disliked them since their first season as an expansion team when they walked into the league with a stacked roster and beat my Niners in their first of 2 games, lol), but that Roughing the Passer call on Carolina D for a perfectly legit tackle of Rodgers in the endzone while he was trying to throw the ball away was complete BS.  It honestly could have been the catalyst that changed the outcome of that game.  And while I don't have a horse in that race, and the result doesn't matter to me either way, it's annoying to see how badly QBs are babied now.  If you don't want to take any kind of hit, run the ball, screen pass, quick out, run out of the pocket and throw the ball away faster, etc... there's so many options.  As fans, we don't need the refs calling personal fouls every time a defender looks cross-eyed at a QB.

10 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

I have high respect for Pete Carroll. (BTW We went to the same high school together....

Oh yeah?  TL here :P  But that was 20 years ago...

• Like 1

Just now, Matto_lsi said:

I am a Niners fan and have no love for the Packers or Rodgers, and certainly not for the Panthers (disliked them since their first season as an expansion team when they walked into the league with a stacked roster and beat my Niners in their first of 2 games, lol), but that Roughing the Passer call on Carolina D for a perfectly legit tackle of Rodgers in the endzone while he was trying to throw the ball away was complete BS.  It honestly could have been the catalyst that changed the outcome of that game.  And while I don't have a horse in that race, and the result doesn't matter to me either way, it's annoying to see how badly QBs are babied now.  If you don't want to take any kind of hit, run the ball, screen pass, quick out, run out of the pocket and throw the ball away faster, etc... there's so many options.  As fans, we don't need the refs calling personal fouls every time a defender looks cross-eyed at a QB.

Oh yeah?  TL here :P  But that was 20 years ago...

NO SH*T? My Uncle and Aunt resided in Lucas Valley and my cousin still lives on Idylberry Drive.

The NFL will baby their stars (like Rodgers) just like the NBA babies theirs. Its all about the $$$. Its not right, it is what it is. Even in amateur sport, the repeating champion or star performer will always get the benefit of the doubt from the umpires/referees.

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Yeah, it's a dumb thing for him to say even if it's technically true.  Let's try being better than 2-7 (2-4 in Sam's case) before we start with the flights of fancy.

Then again, if we pulverized an athlete or celebrity every time they looked into a camera/microphone and said something stupid, we'd be punching people from dawn 'til dusk and spending most of the night catching up anyhow.

This "full weight" foul is a joke, instituted off the back Rodger's whining and made worse by the incompetent refs this season whom can't seem to tell the difference between someone throwing their weight on someone and not.

This season is a joke. College football for me until playoffs

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I am a Niners fan and have no love for the Packers or Rodgers, and certainly not for the Panthers (disliked them since their first season as an expansion team when they walked into the league with a stacked roster and beat my Niners in their first of 2 games, lol), but that Roughing the Passer call on Carolina D for a perfectly legit tackle of Rodgers in the endzone while he was trying to throw the ball away was complete BS. 

One of the worst calls I've seen. The official was RIGHT THERE. He had to have seen that the guy was turning his body. The whole "full weight" thing is a stupid ass rule to begin with, but there was nothing like that in the play. 

1 hour ago, majob said:

Me, too. After a comedic start to the season for my Volunteers, they have really battled back. One more win means a bowl game, and for a team that lost to Georgia State at home to start the year, that's a great turnaround.

1 hour ago, majob said:

This "full weight" foul is a joke, instituted off the back Rodger's whining and made worse by the incompetent refs this season whom can't seem to tell the difference between someone throwing their weight on someone and not.

My thoughts exactly!

Got my money on San Fran tonight (unfortunately), 11 days of rest, at home, and oh yeah, they're the better team.  Kittle being doubtful has raised my hopes a touch but not enough to expect a win.  I'm also expecting a season split though.  The week 17 game Seattle should hopefully be able to pull off.  9ers week 4 bye could be slowing them down by then (although they pretty much had a mini-bye this last week), the game's in Seattle, for whatever that's worth this year, and who knows, by then the 9ers might not have anything left to play for.

Also, the Bears, Rams and either Cowboy or Eagles are looking like they could miss the playoffs entirely, how insane is that?

Edited by skidmarkgn

16 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I am a Niners fan and have no love for the Packers or Rodgers, and certainly not for the Panthers (disliked them since their first season as an expansion team when they walked into the league with a stacked roster and beat my Niners in their first of 2 games, lol), but that Roughing the Passer call on Carolina D for a perfectly legit tackle of Rodgers in the endzone while he was trying to throw the ball away was complete BS. 

NFL Officiating Formula

Rodgers + Lambeau = Untouchable 

- As for the game last night, I'm glad the nation got to see a Good Kirk game. He's played well this season, minimized mistakes, and spreads the ball around. Is he a Championship-caliber QB? He'll never get to a chance to prove it if the Vikes secondary continues to play coverage like cardboard cut-outs. 

Also happy for Dalvin Cook to shine in primetime. He's having a MVP-like year, though he surely won't win it. But it seems Ezekial Elliott gets all the pub, and it was nice to see Cook have a bigger game than him. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Also, the Bears, Rams and either Cowboy or Eagles are looking like they could miss the playoffs entirely, how insane is that?

Actually, that is pretty normal.  The Patriots dynasty might make you think otherwise but there is normally about a 50% turnover each year in teams that make the playoffs.  The Bears were a trendy SB pick this year but they overachieved last year and are returning to where I thought they’d be.  Rams with the SB loser hangover.

29 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

NFL Officiating Formula

Rodgers + Lambeau = Untouchable 

yes, not quite as bad as the NBA, but stars get the calls.  Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. get them that other normal QBs never do.

ps - great game in Chapel Hill the other week ?. Back and forth, think both secondaries have been ravaged by injury.  Sam Howell looks as good as Trubinsky did IMO but Bryce Perkins was a little too much that night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Got my money on San Fran tonight (unfortunately), 11 days of rest, at home, and oh yeah, they're the better team.  Kittle being doubtful has raised my hopes a touch but not enough to expect a win.  I'm also expecting a season split though.  The week 17 game Seattle should hopefully be able to pull off.  9ers week 4 bye could be slowing them down by then (although they pretty much had a mini-bye this last week), the game's in Seattle, for whatever that's worth this year, and who knows, by then the 9ers might not have anything left to play for.

K Robbie Gould is also doubtful for tonight's game....so expect the Niners to be aggressive on fourth down in Seattle territory.....you might even see a 2 point try. Kyler Murray, while harassed by the Niners pass rush, still managed to have a productive game. I would expect Russell Wilson to have even more success. Should be a fun game.

NFC likely playoff teams are SF, GB, NO, MN and SEA with either Philly or Dallas as sixth spot. Rams and Carolina still have a small chance. Forget about everybody else.

AFC likely playoff teams are Patriots and Ravens, and after that it's pretty wide open........with only the Broncos, Browns and Bengals without a reasonable hope. I'd put the Jets in that latter group but Sam Darnold insists that they are still in the hunt. The Bills currently stand as the fifth seed but are a complete fraud. Browns are simply not good enough to go 7-0 or 6-1 despite their remaining (weak) schedule.

The sixth seed might turn out to be a 9-7 team that wins it in the last week by tiebreaker.

Edited by PsychicVibe
Jets

8 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

K Robbie Gould is also doubtful for tonight's game....so expect the Niners to be aggressive on fourth down in Seattle territory.....you might even see a 2 point try. Kyler Murray, while harassed by the Niners pass rush, still managed to have a productive game. I would expect Russell Wilson to have even more success. Should be a fun game.

NFC likely playoff teams are SF, GB, NO, MN and SEA with either Philly or Dallas as sixth spot. Rams and Carolina still have a small chance. Forget about everybody else.

AFC likely playoff teams are Patriots and Ravens, and after that it's pretty wide open........with only the Broncos, Browns and Bengals without a reasonable hope. I'd put the Jets in that latter group but Sam Darnold insists that they are still in the hunt. The Bills currently stand as the fifth seed but are a complete fraud. Browns are simply not good enough to go 7-0 or 6-1 despite their remaining (weak) schedule.

The sixth seed might turn out to be a 9-7 team that wins it in the last week by tiebreaker.

so you are saying the Dolphins also still have a chance?  ?

5 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Honest question, did they change the playoff seed ranking rules?  I know there was talk of changing it like the NBA did to go off record only and no longer put so much weight on winning a division, but I did a quick search and couldn't find any info.  I ask cause Philly and Dallas are the same division and under the old (current?) rules would still be guaranteed 4th place or better for the division win.  If they have changed the rules, then yey!  I really want to see that happen.  No longer do I want to see teams with 13+ wins in 5th place, and teams with 7 or 8 wins in the playoffs, it's complete BS.

Also, so far so good in tonight's game, hope the Niners keep it up!

Edited by Matto_lsi