National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

He had a good career, was right time for him to retire, definitely will be in the hof, just wonder if he will stay in football with another role or not.

21 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

He needs help before he fucking kills somebody.

https://tv5.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28532490/antonio-brown-suspect-battery-probe 

He. Needs to get a lot of help, I doubt he ever plays the sport again 

13 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

He's the epitome of the Hall of Very Good.  The Hall of "I lasted a really long time and accumulated statistics without ever being one of the best at my position at any given time during my playing days".  The Hall of "Nobody would give a damn if my name were John Smith".  The Hall of "I played a Glory Boy position, so everybody thinks more of me".

Alas, he'll probably be a Hall of Famer in a few years and at the expense of more deserving players.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, acasser said:

He's the epitome of the Hall of Very Good.  The Hall of "I lasted a really long time and accumulated statistics without ever being one of the best at my position at any given time during my playing days".  The Hall of "Nobody would give a damn if my name were John Smith".  The Hall of "I played a Glory Boy position, so everybody thinks more of me".

Alas, he'll probably be a Hall of Famer in a few years and at the expense of more deserving players.

He deserves it for 18-1 alone  regardless of his stats. Joe Namath got in solely because of his ballsy Super Bowl III promise so I'd expect Eli to get in on that same merit

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, majob said:

He deserves it for 18-1 alone  regardless of his stats. Joe Namath got in solely because of his ballsy Super Bowl III promise so I'd expect Eli to get in on that same merit

Joe Namath didn't deserve it, either.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

As for 18-1?  I think there were a lot of other players who were impactful in that being a thing.  Should we just induct the whole team into the Hall of Fame for that feat?  Maybe everybody who was employed by the Giants that year, whether player or executive or coach or even something tangential like the guy who cleaned the bathrooms in their stadium?

There's far too much mediocrity in the Hall of Fame already.

16 hours ago, majob said:

Yes and no. Sure, Joe Namath got in for a ballsy SB performance, but Joe Namath didn't play in a league which literally revolved around the QB. Further, I think Namath was an AFL MVP; Eli Manning has never even sniffed that recognition (I'm not sure he's even been a first-team All Pro).

Checking his stats, Manning's best season for QB rating gives him a 93.6 (in 2015). That number is below the career rating of all of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and even folks like Tony Romo and Matt Ryan.

Certainly, he deserves credit for his toughness, but the HOF is supposed to reward careers. I think Namath did more in the league than Eli did, and while it might be questionable that he belongs in the HOF, it is not in regards to Eli.

He doesn't belong.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, MidnightDragon said:

He needs help before he fucking kills somebody.

https://tv5.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28532490/antonio-brown-suspect-battery-probe 

Choice quotes:

"Antonio Brown and his trainer allegedly battered the driver of a moving truck outside his residence, the Hollywood Police Department said Tuesday."

"The trainer, Glen Holt, was charged with one count of felony burglary and battery. He was booked into jail Tuesday evening."

"Brown is a suspect in the alleged incident but is not in custody and has not been arrested..."

Wait, what?  So he AND his trainer assaulted the truck driver who came to move his stuff, but only the trainer was arrested?

"A Hollywood police spokesman said Brown was at home with Holt at the time of the incident and they attempted to make contact with him for further questioning but were unsuccessful before leaving for the day."

So the cops showed up to question him, but he decided not to talk to them, so they just left?  Job well done, 5-0!

"Police reiterated that detectives are diligently investigating this case and still plan to make contact with Brown."

Yeah... sure...

"Brown's home is located in a gated community in Hollywood where multiple neighbors told ESPN they have been fed up with the antics coming from the home, including multiple police encounters this month."

So the cops are called to his house on the regular, but won't even arrest him after he assaults someone?  Yeah, I agree with MidnightDragon, this dude is gonna kill someone!  And when he does, everyone will say the signs were all there and they should have known better but they failed to take proper action and they'll have to do better next time.  Yeah right!  Do something NOW!

Matto........that's old news.

Brown was arrested and bonded out at $100,000. As a condition of his release, Brown is required to wear a GPS monitor, must undergo drug testing, relinquish his firearms, have no contact with the alleged victim and surrender his passport.

Perhaps most notable, the judge also ordered Brown must undergo a mental health evaluation and abide by all of the ensuing recommendations. The judge ruled that eval must take place within 10 days of his release.

1 hour ago, PsychicVibe said:

Matto........that's old news.

Brown was arrested and bonded out at $100,000. As a condition of his release, Brown is required to wear a GPS monitor, must undergo drug testing, relinquish his firearms, have no contact with the alleged victim and surrender his passport.

Perhaps most notable, the judge also ordered Brown must undergo a mental health evaluation and abide by all of the ensuing recommendations. The judge ruled that eval must take place within 10 days of his release.

I've seen zero updates about this.  Just checked all the major sites, and not a word about this since the incident.  I could only find one ESPN article about him posting bond.  I guess those headlines aren't as alluring, so they got lost.

On 1/27/2020 at 0:12 PM, PsychicVibe said:

Yeah......you don't want to be speeding when riding dirty.

Cop took the weed, but let him off with a traffic ticket.  I guess if the DA decides to, after confirming it was weed, he could go after him.  But how likely do you think it'd be if you or me got pulled over while speeding with weed and an open alcohol container, that we'd only get a speeding ticket?  I'm thinking not likely.

On a completely unrelated note... this guy plays in the NFL where the base salary is just shy of half a million a year and he drives a Chrysler 200?  Not sure if I should be shocked or applaud the frugality.  If he can just learn to keep his drugs and alcohol in the trunk, he'd be in good shape!

On 1/31/2020 at 3:20 PM, D-Square23 said:

Been a Chiefs fan my whole life. 25 years old. Just stopping in to say.... I have never had this much anxiety for a game in my life. Good luck SF. hope it is a great game. Hope my boys can get it done.

I'll see your 25 and raise you 37. ? Been through some rough years but will all be worth it if they win tonight...

42 minutes ago, Splathew said:

I'll see your 25 and raise you 37. 1f606.png Been through some rough years but will all be worth it if they win tonight...

I'll match both of you and raise all the way to 44.  And the way the Jets go, I could live to 144 and quite possibly not see them play in a Super Bowl.

Let me also use this space to get my Super Bowl pick in so everybody can run to their favorite bookie and bet the other way:  49ers 27, Chiefs 17.

Well, here it is, Super Sunday.  Time to make my final pick of the season... I hope it's a good one!

49ers 37-34 Chiefs: I'm hoping for a Niners blowout, but hope isn't reality.  This could go either way, it will probably be close, it might not.  Hoping for, and picking, a Niners victory.