Project Platinum: General info and leaderboard

xZoneHunter

A thought I had based on a couple sources:

This would be to use themed and genre based PP lists as a Meta-list of sorts (a la Diablo's and WoW's achievement system) meaning completion of a particular series PP list makes one eligible to attain a rank in this meta list (of course this presents difficulties over who has the right to maintain such high level lists). So following the Shonin Jump / Dragonball example given, a plat in the dragonball list meaning completion of all it's games would make one eligible for a rank in the Shonin-Jump list.  This would give series the ability to have a list of their own once they meet the qualifications without having to be pigeon-holed into a 1 title-per-list rule.  Although, this creates the problem brought up by a few members about leaderboard scores being skewed, which brings up my next source of inspiration for this thought. 

Following the precedent set by Dragon Archon's Ultimate Trophy for his SO4: Epic Quest Thread would be to "create" a few other trophy levels whose point value is based on the current point scale progression.  Since he chose a Diamond trophy (which for argument sake, we'll give a point value of 1080 pts) for his reward, following the theme of gems would be Ruby (360 pts), Sapphire (540 pts), and Emerald (720 pts) for example representing different tiers of further accomplishment in this meta list.

Personally I am not too into leaderboards and ranking and all that, I'm more so interested in hitting all the achievements in and of themselves.  So I am all for games appearing in multiple lists, as a "personal picks list", "challenge list", as well as the proposed genre/theme lists, and their own series list.  But in order to preserve the integrity of the leaderboards for the folks who are interest in their overall ranking obviously any plan made to allow for such would need to be thoroughly fleshed out in order to be as fair as possible and allow for as little exploitation as possible.  Just remember no system is ever perfect. :)

Yes, i guess i have made it a little too complicated. But no the Dragon Ball + Cod was just a stupid example. If there was an Playstation Exclusive PP thread which would consist of Uncharted (let's just go with Uncharted) You could make for example a Nolan North PP thread. Which would include Uncharted games, Deadpool, Assassain's creed, and whatever other game he voiced. Both use Uncharted games while being different from each other.

But i agree that if you'd have asked to make a Dragon Ball thread before Jem made his shonen jump requests i would have probably allowed it. Which is why there will be consistencies if someone wants to create a thread with any of the franchises already listed since i can't really shut those down, now can i? And it wouldn't be fair towards you to allow others having a one franchise only PP thread while that franchise is being used in another thread.

Anyway you pointed out something really noteworthy, which hadn't crossed my mind when i created this. I can go either two ways with it. 

• Allow you to make a Dragon Ball PP thread. So we can have One franchise only PP threads as well as multiple franchises combined PP threads. 
  • Once a franchise has been taken it can't be used again for any other PP threads. So Dragon Ball's games will only be listed in Jem's thread.

Since i made this for the PSNP community what do you guys think?

Yeah this was the original issue/complication. So its ok to have both a PP that includes Uncharted games as long as they both use other games alongside it, but you don't like it if both PPs had Uncharted but one of the two was only Uncharted.. So this means the only time when its ok to use the same series twice is when it involves other games alongside it.

So you do realize this means that all the solo threads of a series like Ratchet and GOW cannot be used in any kind of other PP thread (no open world, furries, or 3rd person shooter, etc for Ratchet. No button mashing, hack and slashing, godly characters, etc for Kratos), because of the present rule. If this is allowed, this would make your decline of my DB PP thread biased and unfair. This also means first come first serve. If the universal thread comes first, then the single series PP thread can't exist. If the single series comes first, universal PP threads can't be made.

Definitely have to go with the second option, as the first even brings forth much more issues that I haven't even presented. Like, if Jem goes through with making his PP thread, this means no-one can make a thread related to or that includes those game characters. The more broad/universal the PP thread is the more other-ideas that are incredibly limited and cannot be used. You can actually cheaply and prevent people from creating certain threads with the first option to, like if I made a Naughty Dog PP thread then you can't use The Last of Us in a stealth, 3rd person, amazing games, w/e PP thread, nor any other of ND's games in any thread even if its related to the games.

Personally, I would like to keep things as simple as possible. If there are no limits, what would prevent, let's say Uncharted for example, from appearing in 4-5 different PP's? It just seems a little unfair for the same games to count multiple times. Also, some of the suggestions for the "mixed bags" PP's can be pretty convoluted. It's one thing if the connection between the games makes sense, they are similar, and people often identify the franchises with each other. I agree with Hemlak that the mixed bags should usually focus on games that can't meet the requirements on their own. Of course there are exceptions like this Shonen Jump/DB situation. The simplest solution would be to say that a game can only be used once.

However, I can also understand where Mar is coming from. If a game can stand on its' own, it should probably get a PP thread if someone wants to do it. Maybe the best solution is that a game *and game series can be used in 1 solo thread and 1 multiple franchise thread. I wouldn't want a game appearing in any more than 2 PP's though at most.

Sorry, I said that I like to keep things simple and then my answer was kind of long and confusing since I see both sides. Basically, I'd probably prefer that a game only be used once but I'd be fine with voting for a 1 solo and 1 combined PP solution. Wouldn't be a fan of seeing a game in 3-5 threads though.

Exactly...... exac..tly. This is how it should be. Otherwise, I can create a Shooter PP or 2015 Games PP (these are what I meant by broad) thread, and then bam.. destroy the potential idea of hundreds - you can't make a Borderland's thread or include BLs anywhere (for the shooter PP) in any thread. Want to make a horror thread with some good horror games? Too bad im including SOMA and Dying Light in my 2015 PP thread and other games that are the complete opposite and aren't even in the horror genre that can belong to literally any type of other group of PPs, etc, etc, the list is looooong. Imagine if I made a Racing PP, not a simulator one or arcade, a general-racing one... how many racing games would I be using, thus preventing someone from using the games and even possibly messing up a series based thread they had in mine.

Like seriously, there are a lot of games out there, but not a lot (at all) to limit these thread to PP to use a game only once. I mean we all do remember these threads can only be made for games that have platinums, a standlone series PP must have 5 games and all must have platinums, and for combined games and (oh god) series PP threads, just think about the conflict and very very very little PP threads people will be able to make. Like everyone really has to think about their choice when they say the first option, because it truly doesn't make sense to support it, especially with no certain type of limiting ruleset in place for PP creations. If truly only games can be used once, we won't have much PPs out there overall, unless there solo IP games (like Spec Ops, Enslaved, Heavy Rain, etc) which is going to be a pretty boring trend and stuff...

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

*snip*

How it's looking right now, it will indeed be the that option. But i'm going to leave it overnight and write up my final thoughts tomorrow. Going to make sure that it's clear so this hiccup won't repeat itself again in the future.

Props for bringing it to my attention though. =)

Edited by Zone Hunter

How it's looking right now, it will indeed be the that option. But i'm going to leave it overnight and write up my final thoughts tomorrow. Going to make sure that it's clear so this hiccup won't repeat itself again in the future.

Props for bringing it to my attention though. =)

I could have did a better write up, but the potential is so huge that I was too lazy to go full out.. it's wayy too huge. I just want to say that if the 1st rule is enforced, for balance sake new rules would have to be made to compensate. If not, too many PP ideas would be destroyed and greatly limited. Like, you would have to ban the idea of super and really general/universal PP threads like Shooters as it includes FPS, TPS, overhead, etc, etc, etc. And another rule would be to limit how many entirely different games can be used, so series heavy threads aren't affected and prevented. This is that kind of compensation that you would have to enforce so that the community can make PPs without worrying and stressing, more frequently, over if theirs would have to be scrapped because someone requested to make a PP that affects theirs.. and so there can be a lot of varied and even less clustered PP game threads.

Edited by Mar

I strongly object to this PP ever happening.

There's no way one could create "Amazing Games PP" because what is amazing for the creator may not be amazing for others.

Didn't i already made that thread? It's called PP HDN  :awesome:

Alright to get down to business. To make things a bit more simpler i have made a few changes to the rules,

From now on every franchise can only be used once. So that no PP thread uses the same games in its line-up. 

As for the Mixed bag PP threads. (Multiple franchises and stand alone IP's)

• You can't use franchises that have already been used, ofcourse.
  • You can't use franchises that exceed the 5 unique games rules (at the time of requesting to make the thread) as they can have their own thread. Mixed Bag PP threads are only for smaller franchises and stand alone IP's.
  • If you use a franchise you'll have to use the whole franchise and every game has to meet the condition of your Mixed PP Thread. (So, no plucking single games from other franchises to include them in your PP thread)
  • You'll need to include every franchise and game that meet the conditions of your Mixed bag PP threads.
  • No Mixed bag PP threads based on Genre (like RPG/Racing/Fighting/...) or Developer. Be specific!

I will be a bit more strict with Mixed bag PP threads since there are a lot of things to take into consideration when making one.

What this means for the Mixed bag PP threads currently up;

• Dengeki Bunko: You cannot use any of the HDN games. 
  • Point-and-Click: If you are going to use 1 Sherlock holmes game you'll have to include the other one. Or don't use any of them. 

Thoughts and feedback are welcome. 

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 2

Alright to get down to business. To make things a bit more simpler i have made a few changes to the rules,

From now on every franchise can only be used once. So that no PP thread uses the same games in its line-up. 

As for the Mixed bag PP threads.

• You can't use franchises that exceed the 5 unique games rules (at the time of requesting to make the thread) as they can have their own thread. Mixed Bag PP threads are only for smaller franchises and stand alone IP's.
  • If you use a franchise you'll have to use the whole franchise and every game has to meet the condition of your Mixed PP Thread. (So, no plucking single games from other franchises to include them in your PP thread)
  • You'll need to include every franchise and game that meet the conditions of your Mixed bag PP threads.
  • No Mixed bag PP threads based on Genre (like RPG/Racing/Fighting/...) or Developer. Be specific!

I will be a bit more strict with Mixed bag PP threads since there are a lot of things to take into consideration when making one.

• Point-and-Click: If you are going to use 1 Sherlock holmes game you'll have to include the other one. Or don't use any of them. 

Thoughts and feedback is welcome. 

I agree with these new rules, it'll make the whole PP thing less complex and will keep the leaderboards tidy with no duplicate platinums

On a side note,

@ZoneHunter

Could you add SkyesUnholy to the Assassin's Creed one alongside myself, we are going to run this together :)

Notice me Zone-chan

I'm sorry, added you now. It has been a bit hectic around here the last couple of days  :giggle:

Agreed xD

And just to clarify with this new rule in place - if a new PP were to be made, would it be allowed to include a franchise of games with only 4 unique games with platinums but has a soon-to-be released game with a platinum, stealing away a potential PP for that franchise in the future?

And just to clarify with this new rule in place - if a new PP were to be made, would it be allowed to include a franchise of games with only 4 unique games with platinums but has a soon-to-be released game with a platinum, stealing away a potential PP for that franchise in the future?

It depends on the franchise really. If someone would want to make a Mixed Bag PP with the Uncharted games in it for example (which has now 4 games with a platinum, excluding the remasters) i will probably say no since Uncharted 4 will be coming out in a few months making the franchise eligible for its own PP.

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 1

Didn't i already made that thread? It's called PP HDN   :awesome:

Oh you :awesome:

Sounds good.

(Just two less Plats for my Dengeki road :/)

On a side note,

Notice me Zone-chan

Your senpai did not notice you :awesome:

• Like 2

Only real issue I have with that is the Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls as that is a crossover title as Sega Hard Girls is a Dengeki Bunko franchise since the other titles I was just going to use due to Dengekiko being playable and who she is the representitive for as well as who she borrows a moveset from(Kirito and Misaka). 

That's about all for my confusion, I think?

Only real issue I have with that is the Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls as that is a crossover title as Sega Hard Girls is a Dengeki Bunko franchise since the other titles I was just going to use due to Dengekiko being playable and who she is the representitive for as well as who she borrows a moveset from(Kirito and Misaka). 

That's about all for my confusion, I think?

That does seem to be a problem then.  :hmm: I don't really want to bend the rules already and include it in both of our threads. So i guess since the game leans more towards Dengeki Bunko it should be alright for you to use it, and i'll not include it in the HDN thread then when it get localized. As for HDN:U that one really leans more towards the HDN franchise so i'll keep it included in my thread. As for future games we'll just have to see where they fit best.

Edited by Zone Hunter

That does seem to be a problem then.  :hmm: I don't really want to bend the rules already and include it in both of our threads. So i guess since the game leans more towards Dengeki Bunko it should be alright for you to use it, and i'll not include it in the HDN thread then when it get localized. As for HDN:U that one really leans more towards the HDN franchise so i'll keep it included in my thread. As for future games we'll just have to see where they fit best.

We can always vote (meaning I decide if it's Japanese :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:) and decide which PP is more suitable =D I believe that won't be a problem :)

I suppose I'll use the second Sherlock Holmes game as well then. Even though it lacks the inventory system of its predecessor, it is very point-and-clicky so I'll make an exception for it (and it's not like it should prevent anyone else's franchise PP later on as it's unlikely to get 5 trophy-enabled games down the line) to be included.

So does Jem's PP become "Misc Shonen Jump PP"? without the Dragon Ball games then?  Or is his thread grandfathered in since he got the idea in before the rule clarification?

Pretty much yes. Jem's thread has been finished for a while now so it didn't seem fair to dismiss his whole idea because of a loophole in my rules.

Pretty much yes. Jem's thread has been finished for a while now so it didn't seem fair to dismiss his whole idea because of a loophole in my rules.

Sounds good, I have never, and will never, play any of these games :D  I was just curious how it was going to be handled.

Another PP thread has popped up. At this point, I'm wondering, why even bother with a 2 threads per week rule?

More than likely there will be a lot of irrelevant PP that no one cares about in a month or two. I could name a few examples, but I'm afraid to end up being too specific.

Another PP thread has popped up. At this point, I'm wondering, why even bother with a 2 threads per week rule?

More than likely there will be a lot of irrelevant PP that no one cares about in a month or two. I could name a few examples, but I'm afraid to end up being too specific.

Well i'm not sure if you followed the thread a bit, but GarciaFever jumped the gun and posted his way too early due to miscommunication. While this was unfortunate i didn't want to punish the ones who were already waiting for their thread to be posted. Thats why we had 3 this week (R&C, Atelier and Shonen Jump).

Also i'm hoping with the leaderboard that will be up soon (i know i keep saying this...) that won't happen to most threads.

I posted earlier in the thread but I guess it was glazed over.

I'd like to do a Devil May Cry Project Platinum

Okay, looks like it fits the 5 unique game rule (didn't know there were so many DmC games O.o) So i'll add you to the list.

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 1

Not sure who would want to host it, but we could have a blazblue PP.

• BlazBlue
  • BlazBlue Continuum Shift
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
  • BLAZBLUE CHRONOPHANTASMA
  • BLAZBLUE CHRONOPHANTASMA EXTEND
  • XBLAZE CODE : EMBRYO
  • XBLAZE LOST : MEMORIES

Also, since the question got lost earlier, is there anything wrong with splitting a mixed bag PP when a series gets enough games?

• Like 1