is Xlink kai cheating?

This is more a post to the admin of the site. 

Is using something like Xlink Kai for games where the servers have closed cheating? (i.e. Ghostbusters/borderlands/resistance 2)

i take pride in what i have achieved over the years and have not resorted to cheating to get them. The constant reminder of not being able to finish these games is aggravating. however with this work around available i wanted to double check before i take the plunge and do something i cannot return from.  

If this is perceived as cheating i have partially come to peace with the fact that they will be out of my reach unless a miracle happens and the servers reopen... 

Umm.. I would say so.  It's using something outside the game.  If you can't otherwise connect to the servers, then I would say it is cheating.

yeh thats my dilemma! its external source but you still have to grind out the trophies as though you were to earn them normally. 

You can only use xLinkKai for games that have a LAN option and you can only play LAN with people on it, you can't play ranked matches or any matchmaking multiplayer games with it so if a game has closed servers and the multiplayer trophies are possible in LAN with another player then you could use it to get those trophies with them if you don't have a 2nd PS3. It's not cheating and you won't get flagged for using it because it's just something you use to connect to other people online, it doesn't stop you from legitimately earning the trophy, in-fact it's more effort to use it than actually connecting to a server that is still up. 

From what i can read on Wikipedia, it simulates a LAN environment so no it's technically not cheating. However, i highly doubt you'll be able to earn many trophies using this method since you're technically not playing 'online', but doing, what i assume, private matches. Maybe it would work with games that feature P2P multiplayer? Who knows? 

How would that be cheating in any way.

If it is something that isn't licensed by Sony, it probably shouldn't be used to be on the safe side.  Reading the new replies and it seems like it will only work if those games supported LAN in the first place; the OP didn't exactly explain this part.

If it is something that isn't licensed by Sony, it probably shouldn't be used to be on the safe side.  Reading the new replies and it seems like it will only work if those games supported LAN in the first place; the OP didn't exactly explain this part.

If people found a workaround to still earn online trophies in games with closed servers it'd still not be cheating, as long as a. no hacking was involved and b. everyone with internet access had the chance of using the workaround.

edit: smiley.

Edited by fastflowdaman

Ehh, this might sway on the side of "cheating" in that nobody can accidentally or naturally do this like they could an in-game glitch, not downloading a games patch, or PSN cloud sync and things like that. This is more something that you have to go out of your way to do using external things to create a now non-existent scenario within the game. Sure you would grind the trophies out normally but it's not an official feature a normal user has on their PlayStation - it's external "tampering" to get something that doesn't officially work anymore to work so you could get trophies that really aren't possible to get anymore. At least that's my thoughts on it - I wouldn't do it if I were you.  :P

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Ehh, this might sway on the side of "cheating" in that nobody can accidentally or naturally do this like they could an in-game glitch, not downloading a games patch, or PSN cloud sync and things like that. This is more something that you have to go out of your way to do using external things to create a now non-existent scenario within the game. Sure you would grind the trophies out normally but it's not an official feature a normal user has on their PlayStation - it's external "tampering" to get something that doesn't officially work anymore to work so you could get trophies that really aren't possible to get anymore. At least that's my thoughts on it - I wouldn't do it if I were you.  :P

Yeah, like using Skyhook to achieve the Street Smart Stars in Smart As before the servers close. Nothing I'd personally do, of course. Or would I?

Interesting topic, I think this wont work in games where trophies need to be done in ranked matches. Most of the games I know that are unachievable require you to play in ranked games.

Edited by ReimiSaionji9742

I doesn't really matter if its with Sony. Save transferring is a Feature implemented by Sony but you can still get flagged for that (yes some people exploit it to cheat but a lot of others are legit).

Anyway as people have mentioned you need to be on ranked modes to get trophies on Resistance so i dont think Xlink will be much use.

EDIT: Apparently its illegal to use so i dunno if you wanna use that now.

Edited by Gibbo_0113

• 1 month later...

This is more a post to the admin of the site. 

Is using something like Xlink Kai for games where the servers have closed cheating? (i.e. Ghostbusters/borderlands/resistance 2)

i take pride in what i have achieved over the years and have not resorted to cheating to get them. The constant reminder of not being able to finish these games is aggravating. however with this work around available i wanted to double check before i take the plunge and do something i cannot return from.  

If this is perceived as cheating i have partially come to peace with the fact that they will be out of my reach unless a miracle happens and the servers reopen... 

Wait, would this work for Bulletstorm? I recently bought that game without knowing the servers were shot. It irks me to have a sealed game on my shelf, that I'll never play. And would it work for such games as Manichi Issho, Driftopia, or Weekly Toro Station? Perhaps it would bypass region-restriction, such on Monster Hunter Frontier G?

Edited by ArmoredSquirreXD

I just stumbled on this thread, so I'm not sure if it would work or not with Bulletstorm, as it seems limited to LAN scenarios. If putting an unplattable game on your list irks you so much, just make an alt and play it on that. Dont let virtual trophies bar you from enjoying your purchase; they're meant to supplement gaming, not hinder it.

I feel your pain. Hopefully someday Sony will allow users to delete trophy lists for these games where the platinum is unobtainable. I think that's a more realistic solution to hope for.

Hopefully it will NEVER happen. Now THAT's a more realistic solution to hope for.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 3

Hopefully it will NEVER happen. Now THAT's a more realistic solution to hope for.

That's not really a solution for those stuck with an incomplete game on their profile. I appreciate your opinion though, thanks.

Edited by subzy84
  • Like 1

Because incomplete (?) games need a "solution" now...?

Yes, because people want to be able to display games that can be completed. 

If you're not going to provide constructive thoughts on a solution you shouldn't be posting here. 

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 1