PS+ Price Increase

jdizzle0420

It would be nice to get more for the extra $20. I don't use the online pass for PS4 and since they added that to the "package" it feels like the quality of the IGC has declined. I'm not broke, I can afford it. However, this increase really has me wrestling with whether or not a PS+ membership is good value for my $70 when the games I get/want can be had on flash sales, likely for less over the course of a year.

They should separate the two and charge a bit less for each, and then give a discount to people who want both. Consumer choice is what we want here.

Just to be clear. Im referring 69.99 to the next raise after this current one coming at 59.99 USD. So it's really 10$ more.

Good thing I recently canceled my sub.

Seriously IGC has been fucking shit with garbage indi titles and games that are broken/ have broken trophies.  The vita is also getting shafted getting mostly psp games and indi crossbuys.

Seriously IGC has been fucking shit with garbage indi titles and games that are broken/ have broken trophies.  The vita is also getting shafted getting mostly psp games and indi crossbuys.

Not sure how that is a good thing. If you still ever want to have PS+ again, you'd probably want to pay for it before the price increases. It's not like you get less than a year if you pay less for it now.

I read incorrectly that this started August 22nd (i.e. Today). September 22nd works well for me - my subscription comesup for renewal before then (thankfully).

Still, I stand by my earlier comment. If the price increase accompanies a raise in quality in the games given, or the sales, I'll be satisfied. If not, I won't. But I've got a year to check it out, I guess.

This is exactly why. This, and the fact that PS4 games have online trophies. With the way the service is designed, if you've started a bunch of PS+ games, you either have to finish them before your sub ends, or have them stuck on your profile unfinished forever (or you could buy every game you have unfinished, but at that point, what was the point of subbing in the first place?). I would very much like to drop my PS+ sub, but until I finish my PS+ games, I can't feel good about doing so. And some of the PS+ games are pretty shitty so I have no motivation to finish them, creating an endless cycle.

That's currently the only reason to be subbed imo, especially if you don't own a PS4 yet. There's 0 incentive for people to sign up if they don't have a PS4 because the IGC sure isn't worth subbing for.

Had the same problem when my PS+ ran out.

What I did was:

* Buy the Plus games on sale I needed to finish that I wanted to own anyway

* Use 2 days of free PS+ that I still had (and I think everyone can access) they're offering you to try out PS4 multiplayer to finish 2 games I didn't want to buy

* Learn my lessons (for instance, I was playing so many of my own games during my PS+ so that renting the oh-so-cheap Plus games did NOT pay off in the long run) and never subscribe to PS+ again with my main account and...

* Whenever I need PS+ to play the mp portion of any bought PS4 game, create a fake account, redeem the 2 weeks PS+ trial and use the subscription to play online with my main account.

Thanks to my 360 days, I'm conditioned to paying $60 subscription fees, though I do like to find discounted cards around the holidays if I can. For me the value of PS+ is in multiplayer and cloud saves. I treat PS+ games as bonuses as I only have Resogun, Don't Starve, Rocket League and HellDivers; small list but pretty great. It is my hope with the price increase Sony will invest in the network back-end; online optimization, more dedicated servers, etc. Who knows maybe they can also donate some money to Naughty Dog to fix the matchmaking on Uncharted 4. :)

• Like 1

Reasoning why the online was free for the ps3? It was dead last in sales and they wanted to entice people from the xbox. Reason why xbox has better games with gold each month? It is selling far less than the ps4. As for the 10 dollar increase, it's not really that big of deal especially if you wait for sales.

And if anybody remembers, PSN circa PS3 era was absolute shit. I know tons of people would have paid for the subscription just to have an Xbox Live-esque level of competence. Really, no party functionality... wasn't even worth having free online.

Guess people forget about those dreary days. I guess it's easy to forget if you don't have friends and only care about the free offerings though.

This is a crazy idea, and I'm prepared to get slammed for it....but what if this announced price hike is just a deceptive marketing plan to make you guys buy another year of ps plus at the regular $50 price? Many websites are saying, "the $40 ps plus deals are over! Buy a $50 ps plus membership before you lose that $10 discount!!!"

I vote to wait a couple weeks for another $40 deal to show up. Then, if that fails, buy a $50 card on September 21st.

This is a crazy idea, and I'm prepared to get slammed for it....but what if this announced price hike is just a deceptive marketing plan to make you guys buy another year of ps plus at the regular $50 price? Many websites are saying, "the $40 ps plus deals are over! Buy a $50 ps plus membership before you lose that $10 discount!!!"

I vote to wait a couple weeks for another $40 deal to show up. Then, if that fails, buy a $50 card on September 21st.

Oh definitely, no need to buy $50 memberships now, you will always be able to get that at various points in the future (like you have been able to with $40) and yes, there is still a chance that another $40 offer will pop up in the next month.

And you broke complainers crack us up just as much.

It's not a matter of being broke. It's about a decrease in quality and an increase of price. But you fan boys already know that.

Nothing has improved for IGC overall since Plus was required for the PS4 if you want to go online. Shame they won't just offer an online only version for Plus.

• Like 2

Definitely am mixed about this. While I do like some of the games they offer, it does suck though. I'll still keep subbing to Plus as I have some games in my backlog from it, plus to use for working on online trophies on PS4 and the cloud save as well. 

That's a little messed up. I miss PS+ when it was optional. I felt like I was part of some badass exclusive club. 

Dude, exactly! I liked seeing the little Plus sign next to my ID as well. xD 

• Like 2

Ebay feature deals had year card for 39.99 last week. Surely itll have some again before september 22.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

This is kind of garbage. Canada has been getting the short end of the stick with video game prices for a little while now.

Do that many games even require psplus for online? The only one I can think of is destiny, so it just feels kind of weird. That better mean a quality increase, at any rate.

So Playstation is copying Xbox prices hope they give us good games and deals just like Microsoft is doing(So far they have better deals than Sony).If not we riot.

No, they don't. Even better free games is subjective. They have it better because their last gen offerings can be used on their newer console. That's the only thing I see them killing Sony at. And even that isn't helping them catch up. If you like what Microsoft's doing, go buy an Xbone S.

I wasn't a member during 2013, but I can tell you I own almost every single game in that list, and you can get every single one of them for $5 really easily. 

So, it's not that incredible.

I'd be downright shocked if any of the games from the 2016  lineup to date cost even $5 in 2019.

I know what I'm about to say sucks but gaming is still classed as a luxury. You have prioritize your bills and mortgages first.  

Ultimately for most people, this will end up being taken elsewhere from the gaming budget. I make a set amount of money per year, and there is therefore a finite amount to be spent.

With $20 more going towards Plus, $20 will be taken from somewhere else. Isn't gonna be the mortgage, so it will probably be 1 new game not purchased.

Ultimately Sony just shuffles around how the pie is divided, but there is no more pie.

Wouldn't be happening if MS hadn't shit the bed this generation.

• Like 1

Ultimately for most people, this will end up being taken elsewhere from the gaming budget. I make a set amount of money per year, and there is therefore a finite amount to be spent.

With $20 more going towards Plus, $20 will be taken from somewhere else. Isn't gonna be the mortgage, so it will probably be 1 new game not purchased.

Ultimately Sony just shuffles around how the pie is divided, but there is no more pie.

Wouldn't be happening if MS hadn't shit the bed this generation.

It all depends on the payer but I do agree with you.

No, they don't. Even better free games is subjective. They have it better because their last gen offerings can be used on their newer console. That's the only thing I see them killing Sony at. And even that isn't helping them catch up. If you like what Microsoft's doing, go buy an Xbone S.

Dude, your posts seem to come with some hostility. The person never implied they wanted an XB1S, they just want what MS is offering.

• Like 1

Sony was already winning this generation in terms of sales and they felt the need to hike up their prices? Bold move. Especially when it's for nothing other than a "changing market". I won't be cancelling my membership or anything, but I certainly won't be buying + without some kind of sale from now on. Usually there are some good Black Friday deals.

We're gonna see a hike in dud + accounts that friends will be sharing for the online play / shared plus games. xD

• Like 1

Sony was already winning this generation in terms of sales and they felt the need to hike up their prices? Bold move. Especially when it's for nothing other than a "changing market". I won't be cancelling my membership or anything, but I certainly won't be buying + without some kind of sale from now on. Usually there are some good Black Friday deals.

We're gonna see a hike in dud + accounts that friends will be sharing for the online play / shared plus games. xD

I need Sony to get more cocky by offering a promotion with their tvs. Maybe a buy a Sony tv get an XB1S for free? :P