Capcom wants to keep remastering more of their games

smellslikejavier

Resident Evil 7, Dead Rising 4, Deep Down -apparently-, etc... they released Street Fighter V and Umbrella Corps some months ago too.

Thing is, this remasters are giving them tons of easy money, they won't be making them if there wasn't people buying them. So as long as they keep doing well, expect to keep seeing more re-everything.

Capcom will probably never return to being the company they were when they were one of the top developers and producers in the video game industry.

Also, using the term, "giving them tons of easy money" when describing Umbrella Corps is very odd. Have you played it? Neither have most people  :P

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

Capcom will probably never return to being the company they were when they were one of the top developers and producers in the video game industry.

Also, using the term, "giving them tons of easy money" when describing Umbrella Corps is very odd. Have you played it? Neither have most people  :P

I clearly said "this remasters are giving them tons of easy money" (referring to all the recent Resident Evil remasters they have been releasing), I wasn't talking about their new games. I know Umbrella Corps was a complete failure.

They're in my mind just re-releases. When I say Capcom remaster, I think Resi 1 and 0 being redone completely (yes, I know the GameCube version's story), and what they're doing with Resi 2 in the future and whatnot. When they actually put effort in, I'm down. Resi 4, 5, and 6, are, at least in my opinion, just another re-release, same with Dead Rising. Like, sure, there's MINOR improvements, but most of those come with just being on a better system, easier to throw it at 1080 and shit, etc. whereas Resi 1 and 0's full on remasters are well worthwhile, well, worth doing, whether they're worth buying or not is up to the individual. 

Erm but then you're confusing remaster with remake? since RE1 from GameCube and the new version of RE2 are remakes, while all the other ones are remasters that were given a 1080p treatment and more framerate. And this is what Capcom is aiming for with their statement: more "1080p re-releases", not remakes.

Edited by Gevirein

I clearly said "this remasters are giving them tons of easy money" (referring to all the recent Resident Evil remasters they have been releasing), I wasn't talking about their new games. I know Umbrella Corps was a complete failure.

Erm but then you're confusing remaster with remake? since RE1 from GameCube and the new version of RE2 are remakes, while all the other ones are remasters that were given a 1080p treatment and more framerate. And this is what Capcom is aiming for with their statement: more "1080p re-releases", not remakes.

I knew what you were talking about, I was making a joke that most people (myself included) feel that Umbrella Corps is a "re-master" or "re-make" of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. Note the emoji at the end of the sentence...clearly :wave:

Actually I have all the PS2 Fatal Frames on disc, I have beat all the Clock Tower ('96) on PS1 and Clock Tower 3 on PS2. I have played Rule of Roses but never beat it because it was only a Blockbuster rental when I was a kid. I have played Obscure: The Aftermath on Wii but didn't really care for it. Too cheesy for me. Haven't played the first game.

the first Obscure 1 is a MUCH, MUCH better survival horror than Obscure 2 in every possible way (known as "the aftermath" on US apparently).

Obscure 2 was such a big downgrade of the first game, the story isn't that good, is more linear and not sandbox like the original game were you could free-roam the whole school, the gameplay on the sequel is much easier since you only have to shoot the enemies without using your flashlight to clear their "shadows first", etc...

and the most important thing: in Obscure 1 if one of the friends died then you could continue to play as the others, you could even beat the game with just 1 survivor, although you'll obviously would get a bad ending because of this. meanwhile in Obscure 2 if one of the friends died is an instant game over, and it only has 1 single ending so it doesn't even has much replayability on it.

so yeah, if you ever have the chance to play the first Obscure do it, is a much better survival horror experience than the sequel in every way. 

hopefully they'll bring them both over the PS4 at some point, especially the first game since its the one i care most about.

I never played any of the Outbreak games but after seeing so many people hoping for a remaster my interest for them has grown over the years :) having them with a restored online mode would be fantastic!  :wub:

Haunting Ground looks good too, in fact I think I'm more interested on seeing remasters of their old games rather than on their new games  :giggle: but I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 7 and Dead Rising 4!

Monster Hunter on PS4 or Vita would be great. I don't understand why the keep making them for the 3DS, makes me a sad gamer. I'm begging you Capcom, bring it to me! 

MH on 3DS makes 3 - 5 million a pop. M Hunter on the PS4 would be awesome because it would gain sales here in the west but Vita, no.

I'd be all for a remaster of Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and 2, only if it would include the multiplayer as that is where most of the fun came from on that game. It'd also be nice if they paired all regions together. I'm also aware that you can still play the game online via a custom made server for PS2 on the Japanese version.

i guess you haven't heard of Rule of Rose either then? since that's an even more rare survival horror from the PS2 era, it also had some similarity with haunting ground in terms of the protagonist being a female with a dog companion:

Now this game is truly a gem that more people need to experience. While the gameplay wasn't great and felt very stiff, the lore and story of the game if you paid attention was phenomenal and why most of its fan-base love the game, including me. With how obscure and expensive the game is now, a lot of people wont experience it unless they play on an emulator, unfortunately.

MH on 3DS makes 3 - 5 million a pop. M Hunter on the PS4 would be awesome because it would gain sales here in the west but Vita, no.

I think MH made similar sales on PSP/Vita too.   In fact, if I'm not mistaken, MHFU sold more than any other MH title, coming in at around 5.5m, whilst MHP3rd shifted 4.8m, both more than anything the DS/Wii has sold.   Granted both of those have a number of years on the Nin. titles but still.   Some have argued the loss of MH is the reason Vita sales have never hit the heights, and I think there's a truth in there somewhere, especially in Japan.

I'd take new MH on Vita, but I do agree MH on the PS4 would be amazing.  :)

the first Obscure 1 is a MUCH, MUCH better survival horror than Obscure 2 in every possible way (known as "the aftermath" on US apparently).

Obscure 2 was such a big downgrade of the first game, the story isn't that good, is more linear and not sandbox like the original game were you could free-roam the whole school, the gameplay on the sequel is much easier since you only have to shoot the enemies without using your flashlight to clear their "shadows first", etc...

and the most important thing: in Obscure 1 if one of the friends died then you could continue to play as the others, you could even beat the game with just 1 survivor, although you'll obviously would get a bad ending because of this. meanwhile in Obscure 2 if one of the friends died is an instant game over, and it only has 1 single ending so it doesn't even has much replayability on it.

so yeah, if you ever have the chance to play the first Obscure do it, is a much better survival horror experience than the sequel in every way. 

hopefully they'll bring them both over the PS4 at some point, especially the first game since its the one i care most about.

Oh wow. Yeah I will have to check it out if I ever get a chance. Maybe check out a couple gamestops and pawn shops. I have found some pretty rare old games at pawn shops.

A little off topic but have you ever played Shadow of Destiny? (Not sure if it had the same name in EU) It is a Konami game for PS2 and I really enjoyed it as when I was younger. It tells a pretty interesting story and I don't think I have played a game like that since. Here is the Wikipedia link if you want to read about it some and aren't familiar with it.

Good maybe now Capcom can make some money off their games/IPs besides RE, SF, and MH.

I swear Capcom is the only game company I can think of were people keep asking for new games/IPs, Capcom makes them, and then no one buys the new games/IPs.

Sadly that happens with Sony too. Not so much this gen but it was not very good for PS3 and Vita if you don't count Uncharted. I am talking pure sale figures, not review scores or fan praise.

Edited by skateak

As long as they divide their resources in a way that they can still release new games, then it doesn't really matter if they keep releasing all these remasters. If anything, the money they are making off their old games should *hopefully* remind them that they can still make money off their old franchises.. would kill for a new Breath of Fire or Onimusha!

• Like 1

Oh great, remasters instead of focusing on new games and IPs :facepalm:. Though I suppose Capcom messed up some new games too *glances at Street Fighter V*. I'd rather see a sequel to Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter then another remaster.

Couldn't agree more! If not a sequel at least remaster Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PS4 or port the PC version! :unsure:

• Like 1