Vita's 5th Birthday

dmsleight

The 5th anniversary of the vita is nearing and I am really hoping (though not actually expecting) Sony would show some love to the Vita faithful.  I remember a couple years ago they did something.  I think there was a free game?  I don't really want a free game, not that I would turn it down, but a quality game release would be fantastic.  I was thinking maybe an inFamous game (could have been a console seller if PS had the backbone) or Killzone sequal. I would also take a QUALITY product from a franchise like COD (didn't play this one because of such terrible reviews), Tomb Raider, GTA (why not, PSP had one), Batman (Blackgate was ok at best) or Pokemo... oops

I know I'm dreaming, but what would be a good anniversary present for you and your beloved portable console?

• Like 1

Wow, five years already, eh? It really doesn't feel that long. Time files when you're having fun as they say, and I sure have had a lot of good times on my Vita. I don't see that stopping anytime soon. Here's to five more years! ;)

Since Sony barely even acknowledges the Vita's existence these days, I doubt we'll get anything fancy. I could see them putting on a Vita games sale for sure, and maybe if we're lucky, they could give out a free game (I doubt it though). If we're talking about our pie in the sky wishes though, an announcement of a Vita 3000 model would be glorious! It would bring back the OLED screen, have a long battery life and lots of internal memory. Or hey, why not a Vita Go announcement? Everybody loved the PSP Go, right? :P

Hmm... How many posts will it take for someone to come and say that Vita is dead?  :hmm:

The Vita is dead. It has no games. :awesome:

• Like 1

Everybody loved the PSP Go, right? :P

I did, and do. I got it for 200 when it was only a couple months old, came with a download code for 10 games (Gran Turismo, Vice City Stories, Avatar, NFS Shift, Fifa 2010, Wipeout, MotorStorm, Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet, and something else) which were worth like 400 or so at the time alone.

Amazing quality screen, even compared to the already brilliant (at the time) 3000 model.

Way louder and better sounding speakers.

Bluetooth support (for earphones AND syncing up a Sixaxis remote).

Built in 16gb of memory at a time when 2gb PSP cards were still at least 40 bucks or so.

Much more compact form factor, with, in my opinion (and this is coming from someone who loves the layout of the OG PSP to death), an even better control setup.

10 included top tier games for the system out the gate (3 in some territories though :/ )

The PSP Go was a badass, man. Getting rid of the UMD was fucking stupid though, that's what, in my opinion, above all else, was responsible for it's demise. Would have made it bigger, but shoving a UMD drive in there and dropping the price a bit (keep your games Sony, 200 was probably too much to ask at that point honestly) could have done wonders.

... Anyhoo, since like 80% of my Vita games are digital, I'd honestly love a Vita Go. Got a 32gb card, got a spare 16gb card somewhere, the missus has a 16 and 8 of her own, we'd do fine with one of them.

Fuck it, Sony, go make a PS Vita Go. I'll buy ten of them, if only because I wish I did that with the PS TV since I couldn't find one for sale a month or two after release (I love mine, but holy shit, the blacklist of games was honestly even MORE stupid than leaving out the UMD drive)

• Like 3

I used to have a Vita back in the old days when they were popular, sadly the hype died out quicker than Corduroy trousers and and mullets *sigh* :(

R.I.P. Vita, you were loved very much, hope you're having a banger in heaven. #GoneButNotForgotten <3

Yeah probably Sony won't even remember or maybe yes with a Series of Shitty Sales that are Worst than usual xD

Honestly I don't like what Sony does since yeah 2013 with Vita? Neither i like all their exclusives games going out on 4 so Thanks you much to Compile Heart, IF and all this Kind wonderful companies that keep working and pubblish game on it (Or better say on it even here), Can't Give a mind about Indie developers all praising them i see in some topics when if you check on Twitter their pages like 70% of them ask "Should i make even a PSVita version?" So They ask to do that besides the PS4 ones not working only on vita. Ah Yeah no Thanks even to the Stupid Bandai and not porting Digimon for whatever reason in January.

Luckily there are many wonderful comapneis supporting it and depsite what people said if it doesn't have Game si suppose the 20-30 i ahve to play and other 30-40 i want to get there are always a dream of mine...

Edited by Puriddu9427
  • Like 2

I did, and do. I got it for 200 when it was only a couple months old, came with a download code for 10 games (Gran Turismo, Vice City Stories, Avatar, NFS Shift, Fifa 2010, Wipeout, MotorStorm, Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet, and something else) which were worth like 400 or so at the time alone.

Amazing quality screen, even compared to the already brilliant (at the time) 3000 model.

Way louder and better sounding speakers.

Bluetooth support (for earphones AND syncing up a Sixaxis remote).

Built in 16gb of memory at a time when 2gb PSP cards were still at least 40 bucks or so.

Much more compact form factor, with, in my opinion (and this is coming from someone who loves the layout of the OG PSP to death), an even better control setup.

10 included top tier games for the system out the gate (3 in some territories though :/ )

The PSP Go was a badass, man. Getting rid of the UMD was fucking stupid though, that's what, in my opinion, above all else, was responsible for it's demise. Would have made it bigger, but shoving a UMD drive in there and dropping the price a bit (keep your games Sony, 200 was probably too much to ask at that point honestly) could have done wonders.

... Anyhoo, since like 80% of my Vita games are digital, I'd honestly love a Vita Go. Got a 32gb card, got a spare 16gb card somewhere, the missus has a 16 and 8 of her own, we'd do fine with one of them.

Fuck it, Sony, go make a PS Vita Go. I'll buy ten of them, if only because I wish I did that with the PS TV since I couldn't find one for sale a month or two after release (I love mine, but holy shit, the blacklist of games was honestly even MORE stupid than leaving out the UMD drive)

Well damn, I honestly didn't expect anyone to defend the PSP Go, but here we are. :awesome:

I can't really speak for the quality of the PSP Go as I never actually owned one, and hell, I never even owned a PSP. It's just that I've heard nothing but bad things about the system, so it's interesting to hear someone with a different opinion.

I imagine that removing the UMD drive on the PSP Go was part of the reason why it was so compact. Removing it would of reduced the cost too. But yes, removing the UMD drive was probably the biggest reason why the PSP Go failed.

Lets say the Vita Go was actually a thing and had a lot of internal storage but couldn't play physical games, that would actually be quite interesting considering the price of Vita memory cards. It would essentially remove one of the biggest complaints about the system. The percentage of people playing digital games over physical is a lot higher these days than what they were like back when the PSP Go launched, and quite a few games don't even get physical releases on Vita anymore, so not being able to play physical games might not be the deal breaker that it once was.

Would a Vita Go still fail though? Without a doubt it would, but it's still an interesting thought. :P

I'd like it if they announced the Vita Switch product that they've been working on.

Pfft, who needs a Vita Switch when we already have PSTV? It was clearly ahead of its time. :awesome:

Edited by Undead Wolf

Oh man, my beloved waifu is already almost 5 years old dead... how sweet.

We're not going to get a thing. Instead, we'll get early access to Vita PS+ lineup.

Cross buy + cross buy.

I would also take a QUALITY product from a franchise like COD (didn't play this one because of such terrible reviews), Tomb Raider, GTA (why not, PSP had one), Batman (Blackgate was ok at best

>COD

>Quality product

Okay.

• Like 2

It would be nice to see a "Vita Bestsellers" sale to at least acknowledge the awesome little red-headed stepchild handheld. It would be pointless for the Vita Faithful since we all already have all the bestsellers, but it would be a nice gesture to show that the system is at least remembered on some insignificant spreadsheet of semi-important dates. I can't think of anything useful they could actually do that is realistic. Announcing new AAA games isn't realistic, sadly. 

How about a "hey, we announced this was coming to the Vita over a year ago and it's finally here" event featuring The Banner Saga and Salt and Sanctuary.  Despite my cynicism, I would totally buy S&S for the Vita on day 1 (and Banner Saga is fantastic but already played it on PS4).