Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

Hmm, for June's theme...

- Short/One-word names: Games with only one word in the title ("the", "a" and similar doesn't count) Hardcore requirement: 6 letters or less (and "the", "a" ect does count and as such isn't allowed) [might be too close to the recent "naming" theme?]

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

My them suggestion would be: Movies: Play a game based on a movie (HC: Play a game based on an Anime/Manga)

Seems like the HC theme wouldn't be a part of the main theme though, assuming main theme just means movies and not TV series (and most anime games doesn't seem to be based on the movies)

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

My them suggestion would be: Movies: Play a game based on a movie (HC: Play a game based on an Anime/Manga)

Just now, Zanreo said:

Seems like the HC theme wouldn't be a part of the main theme though, assuming main theme just means movies and not TV series (and most anime games doesn't seem to be based on the movies)

Might also be too restrictive as many movie based games aren't that good (so many people won't have one in their backlog) and even fewer people enjoy anime/manga games.

• Like 1

Maybe just "animation" instead of specifically anime/manga?

Another one:

Remakes: Play a game that's a remake/remaster/ect (HC: a remake/remaster of a game originally on a non-Playstation console/platform) [would this be too few available games?]

...yeah, think I might just go with the "one word" suggestion, kinda just throwing out whatever comes to mind

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

11 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Might also be too restrictive as many movie based games aren't that good (so many people won't have one in their backlog) and even fewer people enjoy anime/manga games.

I meant movies plus TV series. Althought I don't know many games based on a series. A few Simpsons games and South Park Stick of Truth are the only ones I can think of right now.

8 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Maybe just "animation" instead of specifically anime/manga?

Animation would be good for me. That would include all the Disney games.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2016 at 8:02 AM, xFalionx said:

Stats before the event:

Platinum trophies: 15

100% completed: 11

Completion: 40.51%

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: - +2

100% completed: - 1

Completion 40:41% 

On 21/12/2016 at 8:02 AM, xFalionx said:

For this month's theme I'm going to get Tomb Raider platted and possibly rise of tomb raider if I get the time ^_^

Last month I managed to get The last of us platted and I finished resident evil 7 story 

Edited by MortalRikku
  • Like 2

I didn't finish any storylines or earn any platinums in April...my Bronze ranking is correct.

For May, I hope to accomplish Dishonored, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and No Man's Sky as my Earth games. Maybe even The Bunker, since it takes place in an underground bunker.

Are we allowed to retroactively use our skips?

I apologize for not updating sooner. I was rallying to try and complete NASCAR Heat Evolution by the end of April, but alas it did not work. Here are my updated stats:

Platinum trophies: +2

100% completed: -

Completion: +1.15%

• Like 2

I continued on Witcher III, time will tell if I can complete it without being distracted again. My last trophy before today was two months ago - March 2, the day before the Switch was released. I recall playing a little bit of Witcher either during or shortly after Zelda, but I soon got distracted by other Switch and PS4 games. On the Switch side, after Zelda I played through Shovel Knight, Specter Knight and I started on Blaster Master Zero. On the PS4 side, after KYC3 I did a bunch of games  that did not take me that long (half a day of finishing up This War Of Mine, playing Late Shift, trying Feist and Life Goes On) but the most time consuming were going for the platinum in Black Flag and replaying the Uncharted quadrilogy.

I played through Mario Kart last weekend on 50cc and I have started on 150cc, I'm going to alternate this and Witcher III.

If I manage to get through the story of Witcher III, at least I'll have a silver ranking this month. I doubt I'll do any 100%s or platinums this month.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I finished MXGP. Here's my arguing:

"Unlike many kinds of racing games, MXGP uses motocross tracks (well, that's the name of competition... :facepalm:), where they are all dirt tracks (off-road) and have a lot of bumps - these bumps are common in motocross races, and they must be taken into account when you're riding (like you should consider tracklines in regular racing games). Since in MXGP you ride on Earth AND you should consider all these earth-made bumps to ride properly, I think this game should be considered for May's theme.

If this game is considered eligible for May's theme, it will grant me only the Platinum Grade for May.

Anytime I can return here to post my suggestion for June's theme - I'm still thinking about a good one...

• Like 1

This has taken me quite a while to write but I finally got done with it now.

What I wanted to discuss with you people earlier is that I'm looking for someone to permanently take this event over (or at least to keep it running the longest amount of time possible). That's also the main reason I chose to rename this event now, and to leave you with a permanent banner, as I'm not sure if there's an artist willing to continue my scheme of adding another layer to the banner fitted for each months theme every month. I would however be willing to provide you with my Gimp project files if anyone would like to take that responsibility up. 

I'll go over the details of why I've come to the conclusion that it's best for me to retire later on since I want to relay the key information first. Anyone who'd like to take up my role as the host of the event for the rest of the year, and maybe even for subsequent events in the following years but at least this one, may notify me either in a PM or in this thread, and I'll open a group PM with all you guys, so you can decide who wants to take the leadership of this event, or if you even wanted to do that as a group. I'll then give you all the information you need to continue this event with the plans I had in mind, along with instructions on how the move would work out. 

I really wouldn't want to see this event go because a lot of people seem to have taken a liking to it, but if nobody takes up my role I'll be forced to abandon this thread. 

Well, this is the hard part for me to write. Exactly what I'm doing and my reasoning behind that. What I'm doing is I'm basically gonna move on from PSN Profiles and I'm basically gonna cease all communication in these forums for a relatively long time. This is not at all related to the people on here as this is probably the most friendly community I've ever found on the internet and I pretty much like every single person I met on here.

So to start with the reason for all this you have to know that I'm currently fighting my real life on four frontiers, which is to say that I've got 4 big problems and leaving this site behind would help me progress towards two of these. Without going into too much detail about my personal life, one of these problems I can't do anything about. You could say it's just a big dose of bad luck, but it's also what will probably be taking up most of my time in the coming months. Then there's an education related problem which could stop the first problem but it's something I need to spend my free time on, so that might take a while and I keep distracting myself from that. Another one of these problems is that we need to move soon and we still don't know where to, which severely complicates my second problem.

My last problem is something of a different kind. While browsing through Extra Credits' videos to feed my curiosity, I came across this one and realized something that I've always tried to keep myself from noticing.

Spoiler

To summarize, it's mostly about the writer's descent into game compulsion, how he got away from that, and what he would tell anybody who believes to suffer from game compulsion.

I really liked the way he talked about the problem being less of an addictive nature in games but rather that the ones suffering from game compulsion often are dissatisfied with their life and try to fill that void with games, as they offer a feeling of control in contrast to the often harsh and random feeling reality. You see, I actually saw this video close to its release around 5 years ago. Back then 15 year old me was still busy playing Skyrim until 8AM on weekends and 4AM on workdays, when I had to wake up for school 2 hours later. I wrote it off as bullshit and just kept going as always. Now that I've stumbled upon this video by accident again, I can look back on my life and notice the similarities. While I came to the conclusion that despite the actions of 15 year old me, I wasn't suffering from game compulsion, I did notice that there actually was a void in my life and I've been using all manners of things to try and fill that void, to cure my dissatisfaction with the world. At first it were games, then it went on to the internet in general. I've looked at what I do in the day and I've come to see that I spend way too much time on this site, a lot more than on gaming. Hell, I spent 6 hours on here a few days ago when I actually wanted to put some work towards my second problem. I always end up avoiding important things in these kinds of ways no matter if it's through this website, other websites, YouTube, Anime, TV shows, movies, or games.

I really don't have the time for these kinds of distractions at the time, so I'll be leaving for a while or forever. Please understand that I like all of you, and you're a great community but this is to get my priorities straight and to get my life back in check.

While I'm still looking for someone to take over the event I'll still be updating you, and I may drop in to give a few more instructions or answer questions for a certain time, but sooner or later I'll leave to have more room to tackle the challenges life throws at me currently.

I'll update anyone who posted between my last post and this one soon, so just keep on going as usual. 

Edited by xFalionx

@xFalionx

On the one hand it's sad to read that you will leave the site but on the other hand I think it's a good first step towards solving some of the problems by taking such measures. Don't want to write much yadda-yadda as you surely know yourself what's best for you. I just want to wish you and your family good luck for the next few months. And I hope at least some (if not all) problems will find a solution.

• Like 2

I went ahead and added "Games with awesome soundtracks (HC: no AAA games)" as my own entry this time around. I probably won't be around anymore by that time but I liked the suggestion in the last Random month enough that I wanted to give that one another chance.

On 5/1/2017 at 3:04 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Well, I couldn't really do that while you were being mysterious about the rules now could I ;)

I'll go with the "I See Dead People" one because it's the weirdest. Tweaked the rule a bit, here it is:

I See Dead People: the game features (un)dead beings - zombies, vampires, ghosts... (HC: player character is or becomes (un)dead being, and/or deaths of the player character are integral to the plot/gameplay)

Game examples: Dante's Inferno, Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow, The Walking Dead, Skyrim, The Witcher III, Plants vs Zombies, Saint's Row The Third...

HC (PC is or becomes (un)dead) examples: Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2, God Of War (any GOW where Kratos actually dies and goes to hell, I forgot which one(s)), Murdered: Soul Suspect, Dark Souls, Specter Of Torment...

HC (PC deaths are integral to the plot/gameplay) examples: Super Meat Boy, Life Goes On: Done To Death, ZOMBI...

I'm almost tempted to let games where the player character dies during the story count, like

Reveal hidden contents

Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, or Heavy Rain depending on your choices

... But I think that it's not fitting enough to the theme (and it means you should already know about what might be a big plot twist) and I don't want people to spoil stuff for others.

If anyone feels like suggesting one of my other themes they can feel free to do so, so if @Edunstar84 wants that knight/dragon theme...

Alright then, I ended up taking your first HC theme as that's a bit less confusing than the other choice. 

23 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

@BillyHorrible, I will indeed take one of Billy's leftover themes - Knights and Dragons.

Swapped your theme for that one. I took the original HC theme which requires both knights and dragons in the same game as it seems fitting.

22 hours ago, Hemiak said:

@BillyHorribleI like this one. If you would have used the cowboys one I'd need to use my 2nd skip for sure. 

My suggestion. 

Bargain Bin : Games you picked up for less than $10. HC: <$3.

Was going to say $5/free but figured I'd make it a little more accessible. 

I earned the final trophy in I Am Alive so +1 100% for 36 total. 

Updated your stats.

Man, I really like this idea. I changed the HC theme up a little to not allow free and/or PS+ games as that seemed to make it too easy.

20 hours ago, Kent10201 said:

@xFalionx I forgot the most important part  of using my skip xD. I got both Doom and Lego Dimensions ready to plat last month for the Trophy Hunting Olympics. I would like to use the Doom platinum image for the month of April. Thanks for reminding me :D!

Yeah, no worries. :) Updated you.

18 hours ago, Zanreo said:

Hmm, for June's theme...

- Short/One-word names: Games with only one word in the title ("the", "a" and similar doesn't count) Hardcore requirement: 6 letters or less (and "the", "a" ect does count and as such isn't allowed) [might be too close to the recent "naming" theme?]

This is actually pretty close to one of the choices I had up in the poll for the naming theme. That's no issue though, as I've previously stated that you may choose any theme as long as it wasn't chosen within the same year already, even if they were in the polls already.

Anyways, I think it's pretty funny that the theme about short names is the one that ended up with the longest name so far. :D 

17 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I meant movies plus TV series. Althought I don't know many games based on a series. A few Simpsons games and South Park Stick of Truth are the only ones I can think of right now.

Animation would be good for me. That would include all the Disney games.

I think a "Games based on something that has already been or could in the future be shown on TV" with a HC theme of games based on live action would work out pretty well. I went ahead and entered that as your choice, so feel free to correct me on that if you don't agree.

15 hours ago, MortalRikku said:

For this month's theme I'm going to get Tomb Raider platted and possibly rise of tomb raider if I get the time ^_^

Last month I managed to get The last of us platted and I finished resident evil 7 story 

Good luck with your Tomb Raider games. I've updated your stats.

15 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I didn't finish any storylines or earn any platinums in April...my Bronze ranking is correct.

For May, I hope to accomplish Dishonored, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and No Man's Sky as my Earth games. Maybe even The Bunker, since it takes place in an underground bunker.

Are we allowed to retroactively use our skips?

I apologize for not updating sooner. I was rallying to try and complete NASCAR Heat Evolution by the end of April, but alas it did not work. Here are my updated stats:

Platinum trophies: +2

100% completed: -

Completion: +1.15%

Well, that's bad luck. 

Nah, skips can't be used retroactively. 

Anyways, I've updated your stats.

1 hour ago, JoaoQuique said:

Yesterday, I finished MXGP. Here's my arguing:

"Unlike many kinds of racing games, MXGP uses motocross tracks (well, that's the name of competition... :facepalm:), where they are all dirt tracks (off-road) and have a lot of bumps - these bumps are common in motocross races, and they must be taken into account when you're riding (like you should consider tracklines in regular racing games). Since in MXGP you ride on Earth AND you should consider all these earth-made bumps to ride properly, I think this game should be considered for May's theme.

If this game is considered eligible for May's theme, it will grant me only the Platinum Grade for May.

Anytime I can return here to post my suggestion for June's theme - I'm still thinking about a good one...

I have no trouble accepting a dirt racing game for the Earth theme, so have fun with your platinum rank. :) 

@BillyHorrible, @Crimson Idol, @Myu thanks to the three of you for these kind words. I'll try to make the best of my situation and I'll be missing the lot of you too. 

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I continued on Witcher III, time will tell if I can complete it without being distracted again.

Oh man I get you with this:facepalm: I started The Witcher 3 a few months ago and I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

@xFalionx, I hope everything turns out alright for you as you deserve it!^_^ It will be sad to see you go and we will all miss you!:)

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xFalionx said:

This has taken me quite a while to write but I finally got done with it now.

What I wanted to discuss with you people earlier is that I'm looking for someone to permanently take this event over (or at least to keep it running the longest amount of time possible). That's also the main reason I chose to rename this event now, and to leave you with a permanent banner, as I'm not sure if there's an artist willing to continue my scheme of adding another layer to the banner fitted for each months theme every month. I would however be willing to provide you with my Gimp project files if anyone would like to take that responsibility up. 

I'll go over the details of why I've come to the conclusion that it's best for me to retire later on since I want to relay the key information first. Anyone who'd like to take up my role as the host of the event for the rest of the year, and maybe even for subsequent events in the following years but at least this one, may notify me either in a PM or in this thread, and I'll open a group PM with all you guys, so you can decide who wants to take the leadership of this event, or if you even wanted to do that as a group. I'll then give you all the information you need to continue this event with the plans I had in mind, along with instructions on how the move would work out. 

I really wouldn't want to see this event go because a lot of people seem to have taken a liking to it, but if nobody takes up my role I'll be forced to abandon this thread. 

Well, this is the hard part for me to write. Exactly what I'm doing and my reasoning behind that. What I'm doing is I'm basically gonna move on from PSN Profiles and I'm basically gonna cease all communication in these forums for a relatively long time. This is not at all related to the people on here as this is probably the most friendly community I've ever found on the internet and I pretty much like every single person I met on here.

So to start with the reason for all this you have to know that I'm currently fighting my real life on four frontiers, which is to say that I've got 4 big problems and leaving this site behind would help me progress towards two of these. Without going into too much detail about my personal life, one of these problems I can't do anything about. You could say it's just a big dose of bad luck, but it's also what will probably be taking up most of my time in the coming months. Then there's an education related problem which could stop the first problem but it's something I need to spend my free time on, so that might take a while and I keep distracting myself from that. Another one of these problems is that we need to move soon and we still don't know where to, which severely complicates my second problem.

My last problem is something of a different kind. While browsing through Extra Credits' videos to feed my curiosity, I came across this one and realized something that I've always tried to keep myself from noticing.

Hide contents

To summarize, it's mostly about the writer's descent into game compulsion, how he got away from that, and what he would tell anybody who believes to suffer from game compulsion.

I really liked the way he talked about the problem being less of an addictive nature in games but rather that the ones suffering from game compulsion often are dissatisfied with their life and try to fill that void with games, as they offer a feeling of control in contrast to the often harsh and random feeling reality. You see, I actually saw this video close to its release around 5 years ago. Back then 15 year old me was still busy playing Skyrim until 8AM on weekends and 4AM on workdays, when I had to wake up for school 2 hours later. I wrote it off as bullshit and just kept going as always. Now that I've stumbled upon this video by accident again, I can look back on my life and notice the similarities. While I came to the conclusion that despite the actions of 15 year old me, I wasn't suffering from game compulsion, I did notice that there actually was a void in my life and I've been using all manners of things to try and fill that void, to cure my dissatisfaction with the world. At first it were games, then it went on to the internet in general. I've looked at what I do in the day and I've come to see that I spend way too much time on this site, a lot more than on gaming. Hell, I spent 6 hours on here a few days ago when I actually wanted to put some work towards my second problem. I always end up avoiding important things in these kinds of ways no matter if it's through this website, other websites, YouTube, Anime, TV shows, movies, or games.

I really don't have the time for these kinds of distractions at the time, so I'll be leaving for a while or forever. Please understand that I like all of you, and you're a great community but this is to get my priorities straight and to get my life back in check.

While I'm still looking for someone to take over the event I'll still be updating you, and I may drop in to give a few more instructions or answer questions for a certain time, but sooner or later I'll leave to have more room to tackle the challenges life throws at me currently.

I'll update anyone who posted between my last post and this one soon, so just keep on going as usual. 

Best of luck in all that you do, and may you find the proper peace you are searching for. You will be missed.

And if a group takes over, make sure it is not the Illuminati :ninja:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

And if a group takes over, make sure it is not the Illuminati :ninja:

Or The Dutch. :D

For whoever eventually takes over. 

100%  +2 = 38

Knytt Underground

- another event (KYC3) 

- HC: Underground is literally in the title. xD

Nova-111 

- another event (KYC3) 

- HC: you play as a space geology research vessel exploring the inside of asteroid caves. 

• Like 2

@xFalionx  I'm sorry to hear you're juggling so much. If backing off for a while is what you need to do, then so be it - you'll be missed, but improving yourself and your situation is only good. Thanks for running this so far, and the best of luck to you!

I can handle or help with anything aside from judgement calls on qualifying games, if needed/wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

Or The Dutch. :D

For whoever eventually takes over. 

100%  +2 = 38

Knytt Underground

- another event (KYC3) 

- HC: Underground is literally in the title. xD

Nova-111 

- another event (KYC3) 

- HC: you play as a space geology research vessel exploring the inside of asteroid caves. 

With your weird way of updating your stats, I might end up thinking you're behind the Illuminati. ^_^ 

Anyways, since there still isn't a successor it's still my job to update people, which I just did.

42 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

@xFalionx  I'm sorry to hear you're juggling so much. If backing off for a while is what you need to do, then so be it - you'll be missed, but improving yourself and your situation is only good. Thanks for running this so far, and the best of luck to you!

I can handle or help with anything aside from judgement calls on qualifying games, if needed/wanted.

Thanks to you and all the others for your wishes. :) Sadly, I just ran out of likes to give you.

If I recall correctly @RizzleAbbey12, @JoaoQuique, and @Fitzquaid were all willing to offer help with the event. Maybe if you still wanted to help after hearing that I'll most likely be gone for a long time, you might be able to take the event over as a team. That way it would be less work for each of you, and you might be able to split the responsibilities up so everyone gets to do what suits them best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xFalionx said:

If I recall correctly @RizzleAbbey12, @JoaoQuique, and @Fitzquaid were all willing to offer help with the event. Maybe if you still wanted to help after hearing that I'll most likely be gone for a long time, you might be able to take the event over as a team. That way it would be less work for each of you, and you might be able to split the responsibilities up so everyone gets to do what suits them best.

Fine with me. Anything or nothing, just don't want to see it abandoned when people are enjoying it. :)

• Like 1