Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

5 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

The best thing of all is no more random encounters as you can just steer away from visible Pokémon that roam around! 

Yeah the knowing which Pokémon you walk into feelsmuch better than I thought before I started.

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Since this is not a mainline game, random encounters will be in the 2019 game

People keep saying that but it's been stated by Game Freak multiple times that they themselves consider this a mainline game. It's just an entry level remake one, and the 2019 game will be the mainline one that pulls the series info Gen 8.

4 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

With the same logic we can expect there will be no TV play either in the next 2019 game on Switch?

... Let's go can't be played docked? Huh. Goes to show how little I use docked mode these days, I didn't even know that.

Also, a woman gifted me her Bulbasaur and a guy gifted me his Charmander. Which means I just need to run into someone who wants to get rid of their Bulbasaur and then my planned team will be nearly complete (or complete, if I decide to keep Bulbasaur in there).

I was trying to do the catching combo thing today and unfortunately I got some bad news about it. 

Initially I though the combo was impossible to break if you kept capturing the same pokemon but if the pokemon runs away from you the chain will be lost. I also tried to make a hard safe after I captured 15 eevees in a row but once one Eevee run away even quiting the game and loading the game didn't work. So you will have to be extremely lucky to reach a x30 combo stream because sometimes the pokemon decide to run away after the first throw :(

2 minutes ago, Aexuz said:

I was trying to do the catching combo thing today and unfortunately I got some bad news about it. 

Initially I though the combo was impossible to break if you kept capturing the same pokemon but if the pokemon runs away from you the chain will be lost. I also tried to make a hard safe after I captured 15 eevees in a row but once one Eevee run away even quiting the game and loading the game didn't work. So you will have to be extremely lucky to reach a x30 combo stream because sometimes the pokemon decide to run away after the first throw :(

... Why would you want to capture 30 of the same Pokémon in a row? Is this another one of those metagaming things?

Just now, Agent 47 said:

... Why would you want to capture 30 of the same Pokémon in a row? Is this another one of those metagaming things?

When you reach x30 combo streak you get the best chances to get a Shiny Pokemon and also the best possible IVs. 

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

... Let's go can't be played docked? Huh. Goes to show how little I use docked mode these days, I didn't even know that.

https://i.giphy.com/media/26uf1yBUWFlBTgeA0/giphy.webp

Really? Shit. That's bulltoot. I was only really half interested because it had 2 player, because we could grab a Joy Con, shove it on the tele, and play together. Surely this be not true, to Google!

It's all good. You can in fact play docked as assumed. You nearly scared me there for a sec.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy

14 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

https://i.giphy.com/media/26uf1yBUWFlBTgeA0/giphy.webp

Really? Shit. That's bulltoot. I was only really half interested because it had 2 player, because we could grab a Joy Con, shove it on the tele, and play together. Surely this be not true, to Google!

It's all good. You can in fact play docked as assumed. You nearly scared me there for a sec.

Yeah, I tried playing docked when I first got it, and it works fine. Although you do of course need to use the Joy-con(s) since the Pro Controller is not supported.

I think maybe what @Eyjabria was suggesting was that we can't assume that Pokemon 2019 will revert all the changes that Let's Go brought. Otherwise then it's possible that it won't support docked mode either, since the series has always been handheld-only prior to Let's Go. I think it's too early to predict what the 2019 game will have, feature-wise. Maybe it won't have random encounters after all.

I have a question after Let's Go for those of you Pokemon vets. From what I remember of past games, when you beat a gym leader, they tell you where the next one to beat is. I beat the first gym leader in Let's Go and he didn't tell me that.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I have a question after Let's Go for those of you Pokemon vets. From what I remember of past games, when you beat a gym leader, they tell you where the next one to beat is. I beat the first gym leader in Let's Go and he didn't tell me that.

They don't tell you but it's not necessary. The only way to move forward is through Mt. Moon, and the first town after that already has the next gym.

33 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think you misrembered that. I played every generation and can't think about one in which the gym leaders told you where the next one is.

But as Billy said, it's normally pretty obvious where to go next. Most times you only have one way to go

16 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Also, a woman gifted me her Bulbasaur and a guy gifted me his Charmander. Which means I just need to run into someone who wants to get rid of their Bulbasaur Squirtle and then my planned team will be nearly complete (or complete, if I decide to keep Bulbasaur in there).

Fixed jeez. That was a bad one.

Found thw Squirtle, by the way.

My definite team now has:

Pikachu

Butterfree

Charmeleon(->Charizard)

Squirtle(->Blastoise)

And I also have Sandshrew and Ivysaur. But I'm not sure any more about Butterfree and Sandshrew, and I've never been sure about Bulbasaur. They just don't seem so potent. I usually go for "the best defense is good offense" and pick some heavy hitting non-Normal attacks that ideally have a chance of causing stat changes or doing damage over a longer period of time. Pikachu is very skillful already and he has a fighting move for Normal type enemies, with Charmeleon it's just a matter of getting better fire moves. Butterfree might become better later when his moves can actually do effective damage against others, but Sandshrew doesn't seem to be fit for anything right now.

Maybe I should keep Venusaur in there, and add a Poliwrath, a Rhydon and/or a Dragonite...

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I think you misrembered that. I played every generation and can't think about one in which the gym leaders told you where the next one is.

But as Billy said, it's normally pretty obvious where to go next. Most times you only have one way to go

It's quite possible I mis-remembered - as I said "from what I remember"... and what I probably should have added was "which is not much".

That being said, I really did think I remembered it from the past. Maybe it was other people who mentioned the next gym? Or maybe it's all in my head. Anyway, the reason I asked is that I don't want to waste time. I don't think the game has fast travel, and I don't want to end up down the wrong path and have to backtrack. Also, if I didn't make it clear before, I don't have a lot of experience with Pokemon games. The most progress I ever made in this series is the first 3 or 4 gym leaders in a past game (I think Soulsilver or Black Version 2). Normally I play for a few hours and lost interest. So I am by no means experienced with the series. I don't know or care about optimizing my team, and I don't do anything competitive. That won't change with Let's Go, but hopefully I will actually finish the game this time... as a filthy casual. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller

18 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

It's just an entry level remake one

I have read reviews that said that newcomers could get confused, but I'm not sure if that's because people playing it are veterans and have a different approach to the game or how a newcomer might percieve the mechanics of the game.

I have never played a Pokemon and am interested in getting Let's Go. Not quite sure yet if it's really my cup of tea, but I thought playing a simple JRPG about collecting and training monsters sounded neat.

Would you guys recommend trying this, or waiting for the next mainline entry?

12 minutes ago, soniq said:

I have read reviews that said that newcomers could get confused, but I'm not sure if that's because people playing it are veterans and have a different approach to the game or how a newcomer might percieve the mechanics of the game.

I have never played a Pokemon and am interested in getting Let's Go. Not quite sure yet if it's really my cup of tea, but I thought playing a simple JRPG about collecting and training monsters sounded neat.

I'd say go for this one. It's a back to basics for the series (though I haven't played through anything beyond Platinum). "Easy" as it might be, the game doesn't hold your hand too much and leaves it to you to figure some stuff out yourself (like: what Pokémon types are effective against each other).

What @Eyjabria touched on and I completely agree with, is that the Pokémon showing up on the field, which ensures you can avoid those you don't want and run towards those you do want, is great and removes a lot of frustration and guesswork from the game.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's quite possible I mis-remembered - as I said "from what I remember"... and what I probably should have added was "which is not much".

That being said, I really did think I remembered it from the past. Maybe it was other people who mentioned the next gym? Or maybe it's all in my head. Anyway, the reason I asked is that I don't want to waste time. I don't think the game has fast travel, and I don't want to end up down the wrong path and have to backtrack. Also, if I didn't make it clear before, I don't have a lot of experience with Pokemon games. The most progress I ever made in this series is the first 3 or 4 gym leaders in a past game (I think Soulsilver or Black Version 2). Normally I play for a few hours and lost interest. So I am by no means experienced with the series. I don't know or care about optimizing my team, and I don't do anything competitive. That won't change with Let's Go, but hopefully I will actually finish the game this time... as a filthy casual. :)

I can't say for Let's Go but normally you get an attack called Fly. It's one of the special attacks you can learn from an HM. Those attacks can be used autside of battles and Fly is used to travel to every already visited city in the game. But in Sun and Moon they removed the HMs and replaced them with other means to use them. Fly for example was changed to a Charizard you can call. I guess it's similar in Let's Go.

1 hour ago, soniq said:

I heard that the Let's Go games are aimed at new players, to get a feeling for the games. So I would say get one and see how you like it. If you like it enough, you can buy the new game coming 2019.

31 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I can't say for Let's Go but normally you get an attack called Fly. It's one of the special attacks you can learn from an HM. Those attacks can be used autside of battles and Fly is used to travel to every already visited city in the game. But in Sun and Moon they removed the HMs and replaced them with other means to use them. Fly for example was changed to a Charizard you can call. I guess it's similar in Let's Go.

Cool, that's good to know! I might have stuck with previous games if I knew they had fast travel. I love time-saving options in games, and since Let's Go streamlines other things, I would be very surprised if Fly or a similar ability was not present.

9 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Fixed jeez. That was a bad one.

Found thw Squirtle, by the way.

My definite team now has:

Pikachu

Butterfree

Charmeleon(->Charizard)

Squirtle(->Blastoise)

I'm using Jolteon, my partner Eevee (already level 60) Snorlax, Gyarados, Charizard and Mew. 

I'm heading to Blaine's city right now. 

You know, the more I play Let's Go, the more I enjoy its music. I especially appreciate the brass section swinging into full gear in the fourth bar of the battle music.

I'm just past the third gym now. Going into Diglett's cave soon, but I'm exploring the route next to it for a bit first.

I have no problem with it if the 2019 game goes back to wild battles, but I really, really wish now that they keep the random encounters out and just have the Pokémon walk around like in this game.

Also, I just got a Mr. Mime. I won't use it, but I like Mr. Mime a lot more since the Detective Pikachu trailer.

So me and my partner bought the pokemon limited edition swich bundle. This is the first nintendo console ive ha since the gamecube so looking forward to getting back into some nintendo classics x) doed anyone have any recommendations? Currently got mario odyssey and pokemon lets go. Hoping there's some other zelda/mario/donkey kong/metroid/pikmin games on the way!

42 minutes ago, CaptainMonkster said:

So me and my partner bought the pokemon limited edition swich bundle. This is the first nintendo console ive ha since the gamecube so looking forward to getting back into some nintendo classics x) doed anyone have any recommendations? Currently got mario odyssey and pokemon lets go. Hoping there's some other zelda/mario/donkey kong/metroid/pikmin games on the way!

Well, if you like those...

Zelda already has a title on the Switch, Breath Of The Wild. I thought it was amazing.

Mario gets a 2D platformer early 2019 (a port from the Wii U).

Donkey Kong has Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, also a Wii U port, and a great platformer. My favourite 2018 Switch game.

Metroid Prime 4 is on the way for Switch, might be a year or two until it releases.

I'll focus my list of recommendations on titles you might have missed otherwise. Check gameplay for yourself, I don't know what your preferences are, and I'm only naming things which to my knowledge aren't available on PlayStation platforms :)

The Messenger, Golf Story, Fast RMX, Picross S, Agatha Knife, West Of Loathing, Snipperclips, Bulb Boy, Human Resource Machine, World Of Goo.

That's just off the top of my head. I've noticed recently that I have close to 100 games bought on Switch, so I can probably recommend more stuff if I dig into my library.