Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

14 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I also have the Pokemon game. Sword.

But... I'm a year+ behind on games. I probably won't be playing it until around this time next year. 1f613.png

Only a year+ behind? You're doing well. I still have unplayed games I've bought years ago.. ?

Once you decide to start playing Pokémon Sword I hope you'll like it.

I've played Pokémon Shield for 10+ hours now and got my 2nd gym badge last night. I've enjoyed just strolling around the wild area and towns, trading Pokémon, cooking curry, and I'm in no hurry to speed through the game.

Took part in some of the Max Raids too and I was pleasantly surprised they aren't locked behind an online subscription paywall like I thought they were. At first I wasn't interested in the Dynamax/Gigantamax mechanic but the Max Raids were a pretty impressive experience! The gigantic Pokémon dealing huge damage to a party of four players (I think the two others aside from me and husbando were AI controlled), with rumbles on controller and all. It felt like serious business. It was also fun to see my own Pokémon change into Dynamax form. It was like a battle of kaijus. The rewards for the raids were pretty nice too. 

It was a nice touch that they offered some extra fluff as gifts to people with Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee save file. I got a cute League Card template with Pikachu illustrations and my female Pikachu from Let's Go joined my team too.

3 hours ago, thepeaguy said:

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game since the remake of the first one.

I'd like to get back into the series again, but there's too many of these games.

They don't connect to each other, so you could just cherry pick the ones that are most interesting to you.

Just became the champion in Pokemon! xD Here's my final team.

Centiskortch

Gastrodon

Manetric

Sirfetch'd

Hatterene

Corviknight

I'll keep Sirfetch'd for competitive, but will probably replace the others. Probably use Rotom (Fan), Corsola, and Umbreon for competitive and add in a Charizard as well. Not sure what to do with the last spot... Maybe Dragapult? Still ironing out the kinks.

I'll be doing raids with friends and EV training box Pokemon for a while. These 3% gigantimax catching rates are ridiculous though.

There's been some sales at estore, so I got Peach Ball again (english version this time) and spend points on some DLC. I doubt the first party games are going to get lower sales than this, even if they're not killer deals, but I already have Xenoblade 2 (+expansion) and Zelda BotW which are most important to me. Kind of want to get Octopath and maybe Fate/Extella Link, but I could get those physical for same price or lower.

Now I'm finished with Pokémon Shield with getting around 350* Pokemon and done all post-game the game has to offer. It took me 12 days to do it all, might have taken more if I choose to hunt down the Pokemon with 2-3% encounter rate. Plan to get Pokemon Sword (Digital) some time then Pokemon Home is out to get the last 50 Pokemon.

*Got Eiscue to show it's Ice Face then it was snowing/hailing in Lake of Outrage due to it having a higher encounter rate then the ones on Route 10.

Tempted to pick up Ring Fit Adventure just to compliment some other health/exercise changes I'm looking to make.  I liked the Wii Fit's and this sounds like kind of a fun iteration of that.

Anyone have it and have any thoughts to share?  I hear it has a cute little story and RPG progression to it... is there anything else that motivates you to keep coming back every day?  Even after the story is done?

And do you need a lot of physical space to move around in for it to work, and do you need to be square to the Switch for it to pick up your movements?  Because I'm thinking I'd need to move the Switch out of the office and into the living room if I got it (I prefer it in the office for gaming but there isn't much standing room).

Edited by Dreakon13

On 10/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, awf9495 said:

Cold Steel 3 and Fire Emblem were my most anticipated games of 2019 by far and I hope to pick up CS3 very soon (even though I probably won't get to it for a while). Thoughts so far?  I too am hoping for Switch ports.  Subbed versions of the Crossbell games would be amazing.

Look at this, Cold Steel 3 is coming to Switch!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-3-is-com/1100-6471839/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

I just started on Cold Steel 2; I'm still in the Prologue but I think I'm near the end of it. I have the Collectors Edition of Cold Steel 3 for PS4 on my shelf but I may just order the standard edition for Switch. It will be out by the time I finish Cold Steel 2 and play fan translations of the Crossbell games (to be honest, it will probably be out before I even finish Cold Steel 2!), and I want to support porting these games to more platforms. The Trails in the Sky trilogy (and Crossbell series) would be right at home on the Switch without doing 3D remakes. On the PS4 people would probably expect prettier remakes.

Since you mentioned Fire Emblem, I am also playing that right now. I'm currently in the December month at the monastery. I'm enjoying it so far.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-3-is-com/1100-6471839/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

I just started on Cold Steel 2; I'm still in the Prologue but I think I'm near the end of it. I have the Collectors Edition of Cold Steel 3 for PS4 on my shelf but I may just order the standard edition for Switch. It will be out by the time I finish Cold Steel 2 and play fan translations of the Crossbell games (to be honest, it will probably be out before I even finish Cold Steel 2!), and I want to support porting these games to more platforms. The Trails in the Sky trilogy (and Crossbell series) would be right at home on the Switch without doing 3D remakes. On the PS4 people would probably expect prettier remakes.

Since you mentioned Fire Emblem, I am also playing that right now. I'm currently in the December month at the monastery. I'm enjoying it so far.

It's really strange only 3 is coming to the switch, you'd think they would include 1 and 2 as well

21 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's really strange only 3 is coming to the switch, you'd think they would include 1 and 2 as well

From reading comments on Gematsu (so take it with a grain of salt), NIS only has publishing rights to CS3 and Xseed has the rights to 1 and 2.

I bought CS3 on the PS4 so will play that. I might have gone for the Switch version if I was more patient. I appreciate you supporting the ports - I would do the same if I wasn't on such a strict budget.

I haven't actually played Three Houses yet - my post just reflects my plans for the starting house. I actually plan to play all 3 routes. I did play Valentia on the 3DS this year though and it is so underrated - tied for my favorite game I've played this year with Xenoblade 2.

I just started on Cold Steel 2; I'm still in the Prologue but I think I'm near the end of it. I have the Collectors Edition of Cold Steel 3 for PS4 on my shelf but I may just order the standard edition for Switch. It will be out by the time I finish Cold Steel 2 and play fan translations of the Crossbell games (to be honest, it will probably be out before I even finish Cold Steel 2!), and I want to support porting these games to more platforms. The Trails in the Sky trilogy (and Crossbell series) would be right at home on the Switch without doing 3D remakes. On the PS4 people would probably expect prettier remakes

Can't imagine why you'd think that when there are plenty of graphically underwhelming games on the PS4 that are popular. To be honest, I didn't want a port to the Switch, I don't like the idea of the trails series gracing their platform but if it will help localize iv the crossbell series then whatever it rakes

2 hours ago, majob said:

Can't imagine why you'd think that when there are plenty of graphically underwhelming games on the PS4 that are popular.

I'm not sure what you mean. Indie 2D games? Minecraft? I didn't mean to say only graphical powerhouses sell on PS4, but they're definitely its bread-and-butter. Anyway, my point was that the Switch does very well with graphically underwhelming games, since a lot of people play it in handheld mode where it's not very noticeable. It doesn't seem like crazy logic to me.

2 hours ago, majob said:

To be honest, I didn't want a port to the Switch, I don't like the idea of the trails series gracing their platform but if it will help localize iv the crossbell series then whatever it rakes

What does this even mean? You don't want the series to be on other platforms? Why in the world not? Getting to more platforms helps increase the player base, and keeps the franchise alive. How could that be a bad thing?

2 hours ago, awf9495 said:

I haven't actually played Three Houses yet - my post just reflects my plans for the starting house. I actually plan to play all 3 routes. I did play Valentia on the 3DS this year though and it is so underrated - tied for my favorite game I've played this year with Xenoblade 2.

From what I've seen, that's going to be a major time commitment. I'm fine with just 1 route. I'm not that big of a Fire Emblem player though. I played Awakening and liked it a lot, and I started on Fates but got bored partway through the first route I tried. I think the characters and story fell flat for me. Three Houses is more engaging so far.

Xenoblade 2 was fun. I actually liked the exaggerated weird British accents. I haven't played Golden Country yet though.

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

From what I've seen, that's going to be a major time commitment. I'm fine with just 1 route. I'm not that big of a Fire Emblem player though. I played Awakening and liked it a lot, and I started on Fates but got bored partway through the first route I tried. I think the characters and story fell flat for me. Three Houses is more engaging so far.

Xenoblade 2 was fun. I actually liked the exaggerated weird British accents. I haven't played Golden Country yet though.

I am okay with huge time commitments (I've put 150+ hours into 3 different games this year). Keeps me from playing and buying so many different titles.

I played all three versions of Fates and Birthright is my game-of-the-year for 2016. I am a big fan of the franchise though so 3 playthrough of Three Houses is almost mandatory for me.

I haven't played Golden Country yet either but definitely looking forward to it as well as the upcoming remake of the first game.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Indie 2D games? Minecraft? I didn't mean to say only graphical powerhouses sell on PS4, but they're definitely its bread-and-butter. Anyway, my point was that the Switch does very well with graphically underwhelming games, since a lot of people play it in handheld mode where it's not very noticeable. It doesn't seem like crazy logic to me.

What does this even mean? You don't want the series to be on other platforms? Why in the world not? Getting to more platforms helps increase the player base, and keeps the franchise alive. How could that be a bad thing?

And my point is that saying something would only do well on the Switch and not other platforms because of its graphics is false. One of the best selling games on the PS4 is FFXII, a port of a PS2 game and various graphically underwhelming games like Crypt of the Necrodancer have sold well also. 

Most people who own a Switch also own another console so there isn't this whole new untapped market by porting to the Switch and to keep from derailing the thread, let's just say I don't want this game on the Nintendo brand. A PC port wouldn't have bothered me

15 hours ago, majob said:

And my point is that saying something would only do well on the Switch and not other platforms because of its graphics is false.

That's not what I was trying to say. I must have worded my original post poorly and it's not really worth digging into. It was only an aside anyway. Let's move on.

One thing I will clarify however, is that in no way was I stating that I don't want the Crossbell games or the Trails in the Sky games to get ported to PS4. I'm sure there is a market there for Cold Steel fans, whether they're remakes or straight ports. I think the series should continue on PS4, Switch, and PC so I would like to see both older series there, as well as Cold Steel 1, 2, and 4 on Switch. And Cold Steel 4 localized for PS4 too of course.

15 hours ago, majob said:

Most people who own a Switch also own another console so there isn't this whole new untapped market by porting to the Switch and to keep from derailing the thread, let's just say I don't want this game on the Nintendo brand. A PC port wouldn't have bothered me

The Switch getting JRPGs is not necessarily a vast untapped market, but it's still increasing the fanbase. It has become an extension of the JRPG market just like the PC has, and the Atelier series has added it as a major platform. JRPGs on Switch are appealing to gamers like me, who preferred to play long JRPGs on PSP/Vita and got left behind when the Vita died. I can't speak for all portable gamers; in my case I wouldn't refuse to play a non-portable JRPG (on PS4), but I love having more games to play on the go.

The part I don't understand is how porting the series lessens the experience if you choose to continue playing it on PS4. That isn't likely to happen with Trails. Why not both? The series has established a pattern of PS3 (now PS4) as lead platform, with the PC ports having extra bells and whistles. The Switch can fit into that, with it being similar to the PS4 versions but with reduced graphics quality.

I just won my first ever game of Tetris 99! Is it wrong that I'm so excited about this?! Two times before I managed to place 3rd, but it felt like a miracle to get there. I never thought I'd be able to win a game, but somehow I did it! I definitely got the right pieces at the right time - at the very end I got two Tetrises in a row, which dumped 20 lines on my last opponent. Huzzah!

Also, be sure to head over to the giveaways forum and vote to enter my $20 eShop gift card giveaway.