I realised I need to stop buying games, anyone else?

tpepper1985

Money tied up with something you don't use/have never used is most certainly wasted money. Even if that money is significantly less than you spend on other things, it's still money. Good on the OP for recognizing it and making an effort to keep it reasonable.

When I got to a point of realizing I had far more games that I was going to be able to get to in a reasonable time, I sold a bunch and kept a list of what I sold. Since I bought them cheap and sold them for slightly more than I bought them for, I'm still up a couple bucks. If I find time, I'll buy them again, because I have the money to be able to. 

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Money tied up with something you don't use/have never used is most certainly wasted money. Even if that money is significantly less than you spend on other things, it's still money. Good on the OP for recognizing it and making an effort to keep it reasonable.

When I got to a point of realizing I had far more games that I was going to be able to get to in a reasonable time, I sold a bunch and kept a list of what I sold. Since I bought them cheap and sold them for slightly more than I bought them for, I'm still up a couple bucks. If I find time, I'll buy them again, because I have the money to be able to. 

Yeah, resisting the "I'll buy that because it's a good price and play it later" is hard but let's be real, that thing that went on Sale will probably be on Sale again within 6 months, and probably at a lower or the same price than it was late time. I want to play Horizon but let's be real I have 200 frigging games to play, I will see if I can pick it up at Christmas for a good price and play it then, until that moment I'm working on my backlog.

This is also kind of the reason I resisted making another new account, I just don't want to put time into replaying games I've finished when I could play something new. My physical collection is about 200+ games and my digital collection is maybe 20. I ha w loads of new stuff to play.. but still recently bought 2 new games.

I enjoy just collecting physical games though, so will probably continue to buy them if I find them cheap.

Edited by Asvinia

Guilty as charged. My backlog is slowly growing even when I've tried to reduce it. I've managed to reason with myself that I don't need game X because I have so many unfinished games. 

Having so many different platforms makes it hard to resist buying games that interest me, especially when there are nice physical limited editions and good sales in digital stores.

Games these days have so much content and trying to get all the trophies increase the play time often even more. Somehow it's become even a little stressful trying to make the effort to clear my backlog before new games are released.

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sure, if the OP is bothered with it power to him to recognize this and act upon it. Personally, I don't see my collection as wasted money -- building it over the years is something that has given me much pleasure and even made me know lots of like-minded people that became my friends. Over the years, I managed to keep my game purchases and gaming habits at a pretty healthy level IMO, even though I know I won't have the time to play them all.

2 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Games these days have so much content and trying to get all the trophies increase the play time often even more. Somehow it's become even a little stressful trying to make the effort to clear my backlog before new games are released.

I hear you, I purchased Persona 4 Golden in a Christmas sale 2014, still have not started it because I know it's going to be at least a 100 hour journey. I know it's probably the best game on the Vita and I swear I will one day play it. I don't play my Vita so much a few hours a week at most - I am planning to start it this year but I know once I start it well that might take me 6 months to finish it!

You don't need to stop buying games. I'm more concern about spending/gaining value more than how many games I have.

For digital games, nowadays I only buy when they are dirt cheap (around $5) because I know most of them will go instantly to my backlog, and since they are that cheap I'm not worrying if I only play them around a year later. Still I only buy games that I'm somewhat interested in and whenever I don't know what to play I would pick a game in purchase order.

I only spend more for games I know that I would play soon (1-2 weeks), restricted to few new titles per year. So far this year I got Nioh and Horizon at launch and already finished both. Nier Automata is a tough case, I want to play but only after I have finished the first Nier (currently in backlog) so I will hold it off for sometimes. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 coming soon this month and I know that I will play online a lot so that's also another day 1 for me.

I hear you, I purchased Persona 4 Golden in a Christmas sale 2014,

Same here lol, I also purchased P4G back in 2014 and only started it recently, still only half way though the game because I don't play it that often.

Then Persona 5 maybe I will get it in a few years.

Edited by PliskinCobra

I have to say that I dont have this problem. I have played every game in my list at least once, finishing the story mode from it.

What I always ask myself before buying a new game, especially from a sale, is:

1- Do I REALLY want to play this game?

2- Will I play this game anytime soon?

Prices and discounts aside, these two questions keep me in check. Nowadays I understand that it is a waste of money to buy something that I will not use.

• Like 3

Just now, ab4h4r4k1 said:

I have to say that I dont have this problem. I have played every game in my list at least once, finishing the story mode from it.

Prices and discounts aside, these two questions keep me in check. Nowadays I understand that it is a waste of money to buy something that I will not use.

? Nailed it!

I've been thinking the same..

I'm trying to make the lists.. not sure when it's done.. 

I prioritise gaming over making the list.. But I'm sure there are more then 100 games unplayed.. partly digital and part physical 

But I'm trying to better myself, that I won't buy the next game in a franchise before finishing the 1 before that.. 

And ofc trying to slowly plow trough my backlog.. But there will always be new games.. 

8 minutes ago, ab4h4r4k1 said:

nice, I'm trying to do that as well since this year..

But the problem for me is still the sales.. If I see a game that looks cool, and is a few euro.. 

Oh also dutch btw.. 

I start with the mindset to plat the game I start playing however the more I start playing and realizing if it's really Worth going the bother to plat and if I'm actually in the mood to do the plat quest . If I don't plat a certain game , no big deal, the next game can be the next plat anyway .

Heck I don't even go for the platinum on all games, just specific ones, but my 50+(wild guess) backlog is insane. 

Game goes on sale, looks good, buys, It's a disease. We need a self help group. Lol

On the bright side I'll always have a game I want to play, which is nice knowing

Edited by Dav9834

I'm also in kind of a moratorium mode; it had become so tough to resist. There are so many arguments to buy, and it started to feel like too many of them were working on me. I bought the PS4 Humble Bundle because of it being a such a good opportunity, grabbed used copies of Mad Max and Doom at a good price, got into Paladins because it was free-to-play — it's always, "Ooh, I liked the last game by this company" or "Ooh, what a deal!" And then you look up and realize E3 is coming and there's a flash sale starting and it's always just going to be more, more, more.

Finally, I had to make myself stop for a while. I know I'm eventually going to play Persona 5 when its price drops, and I'll play Final Fantasy XV when its price drops (and it's as fixed as it's going to get). But until those things inevitably happen, I'm going to be digging out the backlog.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Marty84 said:

This seems  to be a Dutch problem1f605.png

2 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

Haha, I'm actually British but I have lived in the Netherlands for four years now, my wife is Dutch.

Even me, as a german got this problem. ;D

The latest patch gave us the opportunity to install all the disc and psn games. With this feature I always can see how much stuff is left do to. ;D

There is a thread for how many unearned trophies you have. It feels like everyone is able to cut down their trophies, except of me. ;(

Edited by tagiXD
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, damage_6-9 said:

Stats wise, if I was to pop my current average of 3.07 trophies per day, my backlog translates to 7,424.42 days or 20.34 years :)

Orz

Please no statistics, I almost hurt myself when I collapsed on the floor in despair that my backlog will take a similar time. :jaymon:

• Like 1