Kill Your Completion - CYOA

On 7/17/2017 at 6:54 AM, mking_63 said:

Initial Impressions

Axiom Verge

Now this is my kind of retro! It's like someone ripped an awesome, unreleased NES game from a wormhole and amped it up to 13! Of course the graphics are simplistic but they absolutely nail the effect they were going for. The music is fitting and atmospheric, very well done. I almost got the feeling that if 200+ Mb carts existed back in the day then this could've actually been on a NES even though it uses all of the PS4's buttons but after the game pulls a few tricks it becomes apparent that a NES would explode just thinking about running it. So far the controls have been perfect and I don't throw that out lightly. This game manages to evoke Metroid without being derivative or blatantly ripping it off.

Damn I loved Axiom Verge! Just watch out for the time trial run if you want the plat. It's a bear. 

On 7/16/2017 at 0:05 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Wow, that's a quite harsh review overall. But I guess the main problem with PnCs that rely so much on humor is the fact that you either like them or hate them. I had a really good time with it, but on the other hand I didn't enjoy Grim Fandango or Full Throttle (and didn't even bother to finish Broken Age, which is a pile of turd for me). I still had some minor struggles with some puzzles but overall it was easy.

Hit the nail right on the head. I loved DoDT when it first came out like 20+ years ago and I loved it again when I just played it. Hated Grim Fandango though. The weird logic they used in tentacle I was able to wrap my head around. The puzzles in Grim Fandango made NO sense. 

• Like 1

I decided I'm going to wait until the next KYC event to participate. Got too much going on right now to really focus on playing five games at a time. I should have my goals finished by then, looking forward to what you guys have to say about this KYC in the coming days.

51 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Game #7 - Day #1

L1c4013.png

Just try to save before opening any of the treasure chests. Those tend to crash the game for no particular reason. Overall I found the game and it's atmosphere quite enjoyable, but the crashes and other bugs like objects getting stuck behind the walls were annoying.

18 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Game #6 - Day #3

L911575.png

Time to wrap up my impressions on République.

Visuals

The game looks good so far, both the environment and the character models. There's a decent variation in scenery so far even though essentially it all happens inside the same facility.

There's also a static that shortly shows up whenever you switch from camera to camera, which gives a fitting touch to that particular process.

Sound

The "tutorial" voice is fantastic and the voices in general are great. To the point where you can tell the emotion the emotional state the characters are in,

I don't really remember much about the music to be honest, except when everyone goes into alert atatus it seems to make itself heard. I guess it's supposed to provide tension...

Gameplay

The mechanics work reasonably well, although there are a few exceptions. The main issue pops up when there's a room transition about to happen. Some of those should evidently have been loading screen, but what happens instead is that the game lags out fora few seconds. When that happens it often reads the movement inputs as if you're leaving the room  you area actually about to enter. In other words It moves you back to the previous room. It's a tad confusing in that way.

The other problem I have with the game is the save system. There's only autosave, which supposedly occurs after a certain amount of time has passed in the game. There's also the containment areas, which force an autosave. The issue here is that the game doesn't always seem to remember what collectibles have been picked up so far. So when loading up the game you risk, having to collect them again.

Other than that I'm having a blast with it. The game is interesting an fun. I really like the short audio information you get about the collectibles, in particular the books and the games. That makes this the first game in which I actually enjoy looking for and picking up collectibles.

The exposition has also been great and the lack of combat (you can use pepper spray and tasers to incapacitate enemies, that's about it though), doesn't bother me at all. It's a stealth game in the end, that feels a lot like Metal Gear in that regard. I really hope the remaining episodes keep the momentum going.

This game might not be for everyone, but to those that find the dystopian concept interesting this is a hidden gem.

Time played: 8h18m

Trophies earned: 11/30

Thanks for the endorsements for Republique and Sexy Brutale. They are now on the "BUY" list! :)

On 7/18/2017 at 8:40 AM, MosesRockefeller said:

I got to the first boss (well, first not counting the initial boss you're "supposed to" lose to), and tried to beat him about a dozen times. I can get him to fairly low health, but he always wins at the end after I've run out of healing potions. I never found a vendor to sell potions before the fight, which would probably get me through it. But even if I did, this gives me a bad feeling that I'm in way over my head with this game. The Souls series is known for its difficulty (and I'm sure some fan of the series will say they're all so easy a 5-year-old could beat them and that I'm just rubbish... which isn't necessarily false), but I don't think the sense of reward in persevering through a game like this would be worth the stress for me. I have too many games in my backlog for that.

It's not a case of you being rubbish. The souls series is ALL about timing and pattern recognition. You cant go in guns blazing and expect to win. From everything I've seen about salt and sanctuary (so excited it's on sale,  gonna pick it up!!!) It plays just like souls should in 2D. Pick you spots, block a lot and learn attack patterns. If you are running out of healing potions you are doing it wrong and being to aggressive.

Edited by Jaguargenie

11 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Here`s to hoping the level design isn't a mess, so one doesn't get lost all the time. A decent variation in enemies would be welcome as I don`t expect there to be many different sceneries.

I really liked the map, and thought quite highly of the game. In direct contrast to Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Strider, I always knew exactly where I was going. You just have to be careful fighting around chests, as they can get stuck in the walls/floor, and then never be opened.. Happened with one of mine, but luckily there's one chest too many in the game. So, if it's only one, you can still get the trophy. 

10 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Just try to save before opening any of the treasure chests. Those tend to crash the game for no particular reason. Overall I found the game and it's atmosphere quite enjoyable, but the crashes and other bugs like objects getting stuck behind the walls were annoying.

I don't remember it crashing all that much. Might have been patched? The chests getting stuck behind walls/in the ground was still an issue, though..

4 hours ago, Jaguargenie said:

It's not a case of you being rubbish. The souls series is ALL about timing and pattern recognition. You cant go in guns blazing and expect to win. From everything I've seen about salt and sanctuary (so excited it's on sale,  gonna pick it up!!!) It plays just like souls should in 2D. Pick you spots, block a lot and learn attack patterns. If you are running out of healing potions you are doing it wrong and being to aggressive.

Well I think I AM rubbish, but thanks for the encouragement I guess. As I said I did beat the first boss. I made a little progress today, and found a decent grinding spot to collect salt and gold. I still don't understand a lot of things in the game. Also, the lack of an in-game map is making it tough... I either need to use a walkthrough or trophy guide, or just dick around not making real progress. I like a lot of things about the game, but it seems like it's more Souls-ish than Metroidvania, and that's not what I thought I was getting.

Also, it doesn't have cross-save, and my Vita is acting funky today. This morning it was fine when I was playing, but it glitched during a download and is acting up now. Hopefully I can get it back in working shape tonight.

2 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

I don't remember it crashing all that much. Might have been patched? 

I played the game during KYC 3 so way after you. Maybe there was a patch in the meantime which fixed some bugs but introduced new ones? Who knows. :D 

But I already found the 10+ crashes I experienced way too much for that game's playtime of 12 or so hours.

11 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

52 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

I don't remember it crashing all that much. Might have been patched? The chests getting stuck behind walls/in the ground was still an issue, though..

11 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I played the game during KYC 3 so way after you. Maybe there was a patch in the meantime which fixed some bugs but introduced new ones? Who knows. :D 

But I already found the 10+ crashes I experienced way too much for that game's playtime of 12 or so hours.

I played Apotheon near it's release (Feb 2015) and I had a couple crashes upon opening a chest, so this has been a longstanding problem with the game.  In my case, it was one of the chests in that room that spins around, if I'm remembering it correctly.  I only had problems at that one chest: it crashed twice upon opening it but worked on the third time.  So, I can see someone getting through the game without these crashes depending on luck.

I do also remember some other random crashes that didn't seem to be connected to opening the chests.  I basically agree with @Crimson Idol.  It's a fun game when it's not crashing on you.

12 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'M looking forward to trying out the game, I should still manage to get an hour or so in today.

7 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Thanks for the endorsements for Republique and Sexy Brutale. They are now on the "BUY" list! :)

You're welcome. Sex Brutale was fun from start to finish (although quite short 5-10h maybe) Using a guide knocks it down to about 3h though. République has not let me down yet either, although there's a chance that the remaining episodes don't live up to my expectations.

1 hour ago, DamagingRob said:

I really liked the map, and thought quite highly of the game. In direct contrast to Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate and Strider, I always knew exactly where I was going. You just have to be careful fighting around chests, as they can get stuck in the walls/floor, and then never be opened.. Happened with one of mine, but luckily there's one chest too many in the game. So, if it's only one, you can still get the trophy.

Blackgate was a headache to navigate. Hopefully I won't run into any irritating problems like the crashes and such. Well, it's time to fire it up I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Wow, that many? Pretty sure, if anything, mine only crashed 2-3 times. I'd have taken notice if it was 10+. 

6 hours ago, dmland12 said:

I played Apotheon near it's release (Feb 2015) and I had a couple crashes upon opening a chest, so this has been a longstanding problem with the game.  In my case, it was one of the chests in that room that spins around, if I'm remembering it correctly.  I only had problems at that one chest: it crashed twice upon opening it but worked on the third time.  So, I can see someone getting through the game without these crashes depending on luck.

I do also remember some other random crashes that didn't seem to be connected to opening the chests.  I basically agree with @Crimson Idol.  It's a fun game when it's not crashing on you.

Guess my luck played a factor, then. Shame it wasn't a bit more polished, 'cause it's a really fun game. 

3 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

I wonder how I will feel about Zero Time Dilemma, which I haven't played yet. From what I heard it seems to be rather disappointing.

@dizzyshadow

Don't let the things I mentioned now spoil your expectations of VLR, should you decide to give it a try. It's still a good game with a nice story but after having a good time with 999 I just realized that I like that much more than VLR.

I didn't notice the things you mentioned about VLR until reading your assessment just now, but you're right. For me the main difference was the story, which I preferred in 999. It's weird, because I am a sci-fi fan, and VLR is much heavier on the sci-fi elements than 999. I think maybe it was the scope of the story more than the setting. It's hard to put my finger on, but I felt like 999 was a smaller-scale, more personal story and it was easier to identify and care about the characters. In VLR I remember disliking some of the plot developments.

But I'd give the same disclaimer to @dizzyshadow. The game is great, it's just that I liked 999 better. Like @Crimson Idol, I haven't played ZTD yet but I will soon.

As far as my games for this event are concerned, unfortunately I lost my save for Salt and Sanctuary. As I posted in another thread, I had Vita issues that forced me to reformat my memory card, and I was unable to back up my saves beforehand. I think S&S was the only one affected, but unfortunately for me, I had forgotten to enable PS+ uploads for it (why do we have to do that for games individually, anyway?). I had played it for a little over an hour, so I'll start again. I'm starting to get the hang of the game now.

@Hemiak, did you see my previous post where I mentioned that Sonic Generations is not eligible for this event (I had forgotten that I earned a couple of trophies in it, years ago)? I wanted to substitute Orcs Must Die Unchained. I'll probably play that next, or move on to Bloodborne and play OMD later.

• Like 2