Kill Your Completion - CYOA

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nice twist!

I'll recommend Flame Over as one of the Vita games. Which AC Chronicles game do you have or is it the trilogy version? I liked India the best.

I'd been put off Flame over a bit by hearing how hard it is, but having done a bit more reading i think i'll give it a go, I have the trilogy version of chronicles (so arguably including crash bandicoot as well i'll be doing 18 games in total)

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

Nice selection. One advice I would give is to put Yooka-Laylee onto one of the later spots of your playlist as it's likely that sometime in July the devs will finally release the patch which will fix some bugs and glitches and also adds some essential things like a skip text-button.

Any idea for the slot you want to put Rime on?

Oh and I'm curious to hear about Micro Machines, especially if it features some kind of career or if it's more or less "only" multiplayer. I had that game preordered but after seeing the trophy list I wondered if the game would have some sort of career (or interesting singleplayer content) and decided to cancel the preorder.

The only game you need from that selection. I only would recommend Root Letter if it's not your first VN as it's quite a mixed bag. Some love it, others dislike it (me included) and I honestly think it's a rather boring one.

I haven't really thought much about order yet, i was going to put Horizon last, so I can play it straight through after the event ends, and based on what you said about Yooka-Laylee I think i'll put that 9th, so other than that i'm flexible about where Rime goes.

I'm worried about Micro machines as well, really hope it does have career mode, also worrying that there is very little information about the game available despite the fact that it releases tomorrow, I thought about cancelling but i decided to go ahead, i played the original so much in my childhood felt like i had to give this a go.

2 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

@dizzyshadow Root Letter and Bastion are glorious. 

I'll definitely give root letter a go. 

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

@dizzyshadow - I recommend Bastion as well! 

Wow that's a lot of Love for bastion from everyone, the only thing that's stopping me from definitely adding it to the list is that I've already played it a few years ago on Steam (and i did enjoy it). I'd like to play it again and go for all the trophies (only played story mode last time) but i feel like the purpose of this event is to try new games so i'll see.

1 hour ago, Mesopithecus said:

If you care about completion, I advise against playing Lumo on the Vita as apparently the Vita port is horrible and buggy.

Thanks for the warning think i will give it a miss then and try it on PS4 at some point.

22 minutes ago, dizzyshadow said:

I'd been put off Flame over a bit by hearing how hard it is

It isn't hard at all, just need multiple play throughs concentrating on a different trophy each time.  You do need to get lucky on the placement of people on each level but an easy ultra rare plat (0.79% at the moment) in my opinion.   

Spoiler

Good tip is to keep playing the first 2 stages, reaching the shop where you can upgrade your equipment.  If you don't get what you want (mega hose for example) rinse and repeat until you do. 

7 hours ago, vin_rob said:

You're going to do the entire nathan and drake collection? 1 2 and 3? 

I am planning on it, But I think I am going to split it up differently as I think im now gonna push to do 15+ games in the month instead of this. 

Edited by ItsMeMartyy

5 hours ago, dizzyshadow said:

Given the new flexibility i'll  go with a bit of a twist, i'll stick with the original 10 games (3 days each) all for home consoles, but because of my new job i now have a reasonably lengthy commute 3 days a week, So i'll add 4 vita games as well (1 per week, so they should all get 3 days play as well)

I was actually just coming on to do something similar. My game time is broken into two parts. When other people are awake/around, and when I have true freedom to play whatever. 

With this in mind I'm going to do 9 games to play when Mim or the kids are around, 3 days each,with 4 leftover days. I'm also adding 4 games to play solo, as I generally don't have as much of this time. 

9 main games

Deadly Tower of Monsters

Color Guardians

Valiant Hearts

Tearaway Unfolded

Until Dawn

Lumo

Transistor 

Abzu

Qurare

4 Hem time games from

Titan Souls

I Am Bread

Jotun

Invisible, Inc. 

Ollie Ollie 2

Surgeon Simulator 

Furi

Broforce 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

The only game you need from that selection. I only would recommend Root Letter if it's not your first VN as it's quite a mixed bag. Some love it, others dislike it (me included) and I honestly think it's a rather boring one.

You're dead to me. :| Don't tell me this is going to be another Amnesia: Memories? A lot of people disliked that one, too, while I loved it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ironically, I wish I could forget about playing Amnesia.

With an increase to the like limit, we also need a downvote option. :P You could always develop amnesia, and forget all about it. :hmm: But then you'd forget a lot of other things, too..

40 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Isn't Qurare the game that was shut down or is about to shut down shortly after having been released?

From what I've found they're going down on August 31st. There's almost no chance I can 100% it by then but I can probably make some progress and see what it's all about. I may still replace it though. 

38 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

You're dead to me. :| Don't tell me this is going to be another Amnesia: Memories? A lot of people disliked that one, too, while I loved it. 

Maybe it's another Amnesia. But that shouldn't spoil your own fun with the game. For me it was just boring and all except the "true ending" felt rather dumb and rushed to me. Not to forget that the main character was just a big asshole.

3 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Maybe it's another Amnesia. But that shouldn't spoil your own fun with the game. For me it was just boring and all except the "true ending" felt rather dumb and rushed to me. Not to forget that the main character was just a big asshole.

Don't forget the creepiness of Toma's Diamond World route.  Amnesia was my first Otome (and first VN) and thankfully I've played more since then that I got more enjoyment from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Yeah, I guess most of the endings weren't the greatest. I don't know why everyone thinks he was an asshole, though..

2 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Don't forget the creepiness of Toma's Diamond World route.  Amnesia was my first Otome (and first VN) and thankfully I've played more since then that I got more enjoyment from.

Just don't mess with the creep and you will be fine. :D I guess nearly all VNs can be a hit or miss.

1 minute ago, DamagingRob said:

Yeah, I guess most of the endings weren't the greatest. I don't know why everyone thinks he was an asshole, though..

The main reason why he felt like an asshole to me:

Spoiler

I can understand that he wants to find out about what happened to Aya but is there really a need to stalk all the others and threat them? Especially Fatty has to suffer as he is more weak-minded than the others. Sure, characters like Okabe from Steins;Gate also act like a dick but for me Okabe felt more of a well-designed character as he also had some weak spots and showed good emotions.

8 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

The part about Sakura gave me a good laugh. It really needs some dedication to focus on the logical sense of such blunt scenes like a girl covered completely in chocolate. Overall I'm really surprised that the devs managed to release at least 14 of these VNs in the past 18 months or so and that people are still willing to pay a price of 10 or 20 USD (if you want the H-patch) for the same copy-paste tiddies which also appeared in the previous 10+ entries. Not to forget that people are paying 13k USD via Patreon per month just to get such nonsense.

I guess you mean ports that aren't already announced?

From the games I currently have in my Steam-lib and that I still have to read Clannad, Ame no Marginal, and Lucy: The Eternity She Wished For would come to my mind. The later two are rather short but overall I'm not really into reading VNs on a PC-monitor and I prefer to read VNs like a normal book so handheld-versions would be welcome.

Otherwise I'm already satisfied with some of the announced VNs where a port is already confirmed and in the works like with the rather niché narcissu-series, and fault-series or the quite popular VNs like Muv-Luv or Grisaia.

I also should add that I have no real criteria a VN has to fulfill to arouse my interest. It can either be a popular franchise which I just want to give a try (Steins;Gate, Muv-Luv, Grisaia), the setting or lore like Lucy and/or Planetarian with their focus on relationships between androids and humans or it can just be game which piques my interest because I'm surprised by the artstyle and dedication the devs put in.

Just checked their Steam page and yup, over a dozen games with the most generic, placeholder titles imaginable. They made a freaking clicker game on a Patreon of $14k! Based on the reviews of their last game it seems their audience is getting fatigued from the constant releases, so who knows whether they'll eventually get a writer or close shop.

I'm surprised that Clannad hasn't received some news regarding a port since it has a following and it's like the grandfather of modern visual novels, alongside Fate/stay night and the Ace Attorney series. Regarding Ame no Marginal, I'm guessing that's where Hyperdevotion Noire got the inspirations for its last recruitable character. Based on the synnopsis of Lucy it sounds like Chobits, which is right up my alley. Gosh damn Narcissu's premise sounds depressing but the story seems like it's uplifting despite such circumstances. Hopefully more visual novels do show up on the Vita that way Amnesia could be buried deep below the actually good visual novels. And wow, it sounds like Toma got his own game in Root Letter.

41 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

The main reason why he felt like an asshole to me:

Hide contents

I can understand that he wants to find out about what happened to Aya but is there really a need to stalk all the others and threat them? Especially Fatty has to suffer as he is more weak-minded than the others. Sure, characters like Okabe from Steins;Gate also act like a dick but for me Okabe felt more of a well-designed character as he also had some weak spots and showed good emotions.

I never got that vibe. 

Spoiler

I felt he did what he had to, to find out the truth. They were his only connection to her, and they were obviously trying to cover something up. If anything, I'd say they were the assholes. I mean, look at the nicknames they gave each other. Doesn't seem like the kinds of things you should call your friends to me..

13 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah, that's the problem with Telltale, next to already putting a season pass on sale before the second episode is even released.

I'm mildly interested in TWD3, Batman and Guardians but I've got enough other games to play and if I mis a Telltale sale, another one is bound to show up soon.

Guardians of the Galaxy is on sale right now for ~15 Euro

2 hours ago, DamagingRob said:

I played Root Letter in the last KYC event and I liked it. You're not alone.

• Like 1