Kill Your Completion - CYOA

23 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

Game #2 - Escape Dead Island

Lf56ba6.png
Trophies: 34 of 61 (53%)
Completion: 47% -> 46.98%
Playtime: 5 hours 40 minutes

Well, game #2 and day 2 are done and already my prediction from yesterday rings true. It is indeed way harder to write a review each day (on time) and do a decent job than it is to play a new game each day.

Escape Dead Island has been collecting dust on my shelf quite a while. Picked it up for 5€ in my local game store, installed it and downloaded the dlc, but after that I put it away with the thought that "I'd play it eventually". Well turns out I did and I regret not doing it sooner.

At a nice 5 hours and 40 minutes I feel like I've covered a lot of ground in the game already. I got a whopping 34 trophies and completed a good part of the story (and I got my completion up, almost went over what I started with :ninja:). I am very happy I only spent 5€ on it though because I feel like it's a little bit too short to warrant more.

Now, Escape Dead Island is a lighter, funnier version of the Dead Island games. It's in third person as opposed to first and has nice light cartoony graphics with the telltale CRUNCH, KABOOM and SPLAT pop-ups you'd expect. It makes for a very non-threatening game and for a not-horror-fan like I am this is an excellent scary-not-scary game.

In the opening intro/tutorial you play as a ninja tasked with getting some data and hiding it. Something happens to you at the end of the intro and flashforward we go on a boat six months later. Now you're Cliff, a cool rich kid desperately seeking his father's approval. Obviously finding no better solution to do that than by stealing his father's boat, dragging two friends (Devan and Linda) along to an island near Banoi to snatch a story to launch Linda's media career. There are zombies on the island of course and there's the usual conspiracy story going on (I think). A bit different though is how Cliff seems to keep hallucinating all kinds of shit which makes for a pretty interesting tale.

Anyway, I think I completed 7 out of 11 missions already. I got quite a few upgrades and somewhere in there I also accidentally completed the Underwater Labs (free!) DLC, so the game isn't going to be very long I think. For the better probably because I'll need another playthrough (NG+) to get the plat. There are quite a few collectibles as well, but they're quite fun to get. I initially put this game right after LiS because I thought they couldn't be more different, was I duped when the first thing the game had me do when I arrived on the island was take a damn picture :facepalm:. The snapshot collectibles are quite unique though. I did play blind, so I'll be picking up the rest of the collectibles in an NG+ playthrough because I intend to finish the game blind once as well.

I enjoyed this game a lot which you can probably tell and I will most certainly come back to it. Two things that bother me a lot about this game are the low, low health Cliff has (which has me worried for NG+) and how damn slow the respawn animation goes. IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 10 FREAKING SECONDS TO STAND UP CLIFF!

Likelihood of me going back and getting the platinum: 95%

At the moment i liked it for a little, looking back at this game though i can't believe i finished it twice. Especially after playing the other titles in the series it just felt a bit boring and way too lineair. For me combat felt a bit clunky and the story wasn't that great. I don't remember a lot about the voice acting but the graphics aren't that good either imo. What i really had against it even at the time of playing was that the game used a lot of the locations twice or more. What it does great though is play with your mind because you question a lot of times which scenes are real and which ones are imagination of the character. But glad to see you liked it, one tip. Try to do the dlc as quick as possible. Because the assault rifle is really overpowered and makes the game a lot easier. Although the enemies in there (dwellers i believe) are really strong and probably the toughest in the game

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 1:48 PM, DamagingRob said:

So far, I have only managed to beat the game on Rookie. I spent my first hour playing on Experienced, and couldn't even beat the first level... I am officially the worst Resogun player that ever lived. :/ There are 4 difficulties to choose from, too. Each one higher than Rookie. This Plat may be out of my reach..

Yeah. The worst would probably be me... ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ItsMeMartyy said:

They are a lot more enjoyable to get imo that most ubisoft games. The world is full of great detail and things to do/see 

I'm not knocking Ubisoft. Personally, I love the whole 'map is covered in icons with stuff to do' thing that they specialize in. It drives my ocd a little crazy but in a good way. ?

• Like 2