Crash Bandicoot the new Dark Souls

DiegoMolinams

3 hours ago, Macabro said:

Games used to be hard. Now developers are afraid of the internet, so games have become a little easier.

This. If they think this is hard/unfair I'd dare them to try Call of Duty World at war on veteran. Still have nightmares about that game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asvinia said:

But we have to remember that game journalists typically don't play a lot of games, they play maybe 5-10 hours of a game, review it and move on. 

Which outlet allows games reviews - not quicklooks or 'lets plays' or previews, but actual reviews - by people who have not finished the game?

I've not heard of this, outside of specific cases where the reviewer puts a specific disclaimer in the review stating that they have not finished it in its entirety (I remember seeing this on a few final fantasy games on ps1 for example due to time restrictions and review deadlines for print magazines) but in general I have not heard of this. The opposite in fact - I've heard many reviewers talking about having to stay awake all night in frustration to finish a game to meet a review deadline.

Outside of maybe youtube 'influencers' (kids without morals or ethics who are basically cheap, paid shills trading dubious 'reviews' for free games,) I don't imagine any publication or serious web outlet allowing this practice? I imagine it would be a bit of a scandal if it were the case, and would certainly hurt the outlet in question's credibility.

I'm not calling you a liar, just interested where this info comes from? Is it your assumption, or is it based on some available information?

Anyone finding the hit detection a bit dodgy sometimes though? I could swear that when riding the hog I cleared one of the rotisseries by a fair bit but still kept being killed by it. And on Native Fortress I had well cleared a fire trap but got burned to death by it anyway. And sometimes when jumping on boxes stuck together side by side Crash will jump on the other box rather than the one I am clearly more on top of? Maybe it's my heatstroke recovery or it's legit and will get patched. I'm enjoying the game immensely though, pure nostalgia trip except pretty much everything is actually just as good as I remember.

27 minutes ago, MeteorHawk said:

Anyone finding the hit detection a bit dodgy sometimes though? I could swear that when riding the hog I cleared one of the rotisseries by a fair bit but still kept being killed by it. And on Native Fortress I had well cleared a fire trap but got burned to death by it anyway. And sometimes when jumping on boxes stuck together side by side Crash will jump on the other box rather than the one I am clearly more on top of? Maybe it's my heatstroke recovery or it's legit and will get patched. I'm enjoying the game immensely though, pure nostalgia trip except pretty much everything is actually just as good as I remember.

Hog Wild was a good example. First run through I made it all the way to the last rotisserie without fail, all boxes and shit, no effort required, but got clipped on that one 2 or 3 times and each one I swore I made it. You're not crazy, friend.

15 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Praise the crate.

Image result for crash bandicoot praise the sun

Best thing I've seen in a while ?

I wouldn't compare Crash to Dark Souls though.

I also have noticed the jankiness with the hit boxes as well as apparently falling off the edge of platforms after jumping. No idea if that's just because of the newer mechanics with the controls, the lack of not playing this for years or what but it can get quite frustrating. Still, I'm highly enjoying myself. I think it's very well done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarciaFever said:

Seriously? I have never played any of the Souls games, let alone the new Crash Bandicoot game, but for them to say it's hard because you die a lot is just bullshit now.

I agree but one correction, this is not a new Crash game, just a remaster\remake.

7 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

guess all these people who's saying it's too hard and it's unforgiving have never played the ps1 originals before and yet trying to act as a huge fan of the original crash bandicoot....

since the day I played crash the first time on ps1 and it was well known of it's difficulty spikes, surprisingly it's one of the reasons why the original crash games was so addicting back then, and also another reason why naughty dog back then did all those different death animations or  death scene.

don't assume shit my dude. i couldn't beat them on ps1 either 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MythRaider1994 said:

It's a good thing there's no trophy for obtaining platinum relics, because I just started the first game, and even some of these golds are pretty brutal.

Golds are easy to obtain. I almost wish they made it mandatory to get platinums on a majority of them.

Separates the men from the boys.

2 hours ago, ShadowStar83x said:

Jeez, modern gamers are such pussies. Would've loved to see them game during the NES days where there was no Internet and you had to figure out shit for yourself!

Modern games have made modern gamers into pussies. 

Checkpoints weren't a thing back in the day.

Not to mention all the hand holding and telling you everywhere you gotta go, like every game now has built in map quest.

I'm playing Demon's Souls and Dead Space at the moment, and those two games are more difficult than any of the Crash Bandicoot games in my own conceit - especially Demon's Souls. :awesome:

To review these types of games, I think you should plump for two reviewers from each company: one who hasn't played the games before and one who grew up with the franchise. When you're growing up with a franchise like this, you shouldn't have that many problems playing the remastered versions and getting used to the enhanced controls. It didn't take me more than a sprinkling of minutes getting used to it.

In spite of that, let me just put this on the table. The first two games in the series back in the days didn't receive the masterpiece ribbons as we all praise them to be. The third one though, 10/10 from many notorious reviewers.

Reviewers like Louise Blain shouldn't be the only person from GamesRadar reviewing this collection. I've had this opinion for years: have two distinct reviews from two different members of the workforce at a company of each product/piece of merchandise, publish both critical appraisals, take both scores and enumerate an average score which should be the score depicting the rating coming from the company e.g. GamesRadar.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm not calling you a liar, just interested where this info comes from? Is it your assumption, or is it based on some available information?

It was just my assumption, but you are correct in that it is mostly youtubers that do this. Little kids aside, people like TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling are considered games journalists nowadays as far as I'm aware. They make a living reviewing games, just not under a company name.

As far as legit companies go, my assumption stemmed from the incident with the Doom remake where the journalist playing seemed to not be able to play the game, or be aware of how shooters function as a whole. After that there were some rumours floating around that journalists often don't play the games to completion. Maybe it was nerves, or trying to talk and play at the same time though.

I think you are right that companies with reputations to uphold would be less inclined to this.

Getting the gold relic for High Road took some time and was very very challenging. The physics for this game makes High Round and Road to Nowhere even more difficult. To be Honest I was raging pretty hard. The last time I was so mad was when I fought Ludwig in Bloodborne. ?

Edited by MAGIC_ALONSO11

15 hours ago, ShadowStar83x said:

Jeez, modern gamers are such pussies. Would've loved to see them game during the NES days where there was no Internet and you had to figure out shit for yourself!

Sounds like someone didn't have Nintendo Power ^_^ Seriously some of the greatest things is when you would go to a buddy's house and be like "let me show you something" and then you do the Minus Level trick in Super Mario and blow some minds :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Sounds like someone didn't have Nintendo Power ^_^ Seriously some of the greatest things is when you would go to a buddy's house and be like "let me show you something" and then you do the Minus Level trick in Super Mario and blow some minds :D

No, I had Nintendo Power. Still had to figure out a lot of stuff yourself, though. :P

Pish posh!

You can't even jump in DS.......        I think. (I only played an hour)

Sure Crash 1 is def hard. I'm progressing nicely for now but gold relics will be a nightmare for me later down the road.

Tho I will say this, something is a bit off with the jumping/hit box like others are saying. Lost 46 lives on High Road the first time.

16 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

How brilliant. Dark Souls can even cross the boundaries of time.

Even though Crash is an older game Dark Souls can ignore that.

Does this surprise you, I mean really? The "Souls" series is arguably the most awesome series out there;-)