Favorite gaming genre/game combo?

YemmytheFerret

I grew up with 3D platformers and they are still one of my favorite genres in gaming and I was just wondering what are your favorite genres and favorite games in that genre?  Mines easy, banjo kazooie 64 is my all time favorite game ever, love it to death.  I also liked psyconauts in the platformer genre.  

For open world games I still enjoy red dead redemption, I'm really looking forward to the new one.  

So have at it, post as many genre/game combo you want!

If there's already a post like this sorry, I did a search and nothing came up

Edited by Muskratateer

I'm with you on 3D platformers. Grew up with Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tomb Raider and all the rest of them. It's not just nostalgia talking, because they're all genuinely great games, and benchmarks for what PS1 was capable of at the time. 

Beyond that, while I almost never think myself as one, I'm hugely fond of racing games. Gran Turismo has a place in my heart, but it's the more arcadey ones that I like most. Two of the only games I ever revisit purely for fun are Ridge Racer and Wipeout for PSP. They're just that good. Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2 were fantastic as well. And Motorstorm! 

I like survival games and RPGs, so naturally, I love games that combine the two. I love the idea of permadeath in any game as it gives me a thrill trying to survive and it makes you face the consequences of your choices. It's really the main reason why I love Fire Emblem games which perfectly combine these 2 genres. Another very noteworthy game would be Dark Cloud. I love the thirst meter and the thought that your weapons can break as well which can be fun.

I also love turned based RPGs like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Final Fantasy VII, IX, and X.

• Like 1

I was the same, grew up with 3DS platformers where my childhood was all Crash and Spyro as well as Pokemon. However, I got Kingdom Hearts free when I bought my PS2 and that plunged me into the JRPG world where it all soon changed to FF, playing every KH game and other RPGs like Dragon Quest and Tales.

My favourite gaming genre now is definietly JRPG, with Final Fantasy and Tales series being my top picks. I like ATB systems, so I enjoyed FFX-2, XII and the XIII series. But it's the story, exploration, side quests and characters that I most like about the genre. 

Visual Novels and otome games are another.

Well, I'm a late starter to games overall. I had an old gameboy (not the GB Color. the one before that), when everyone else already had the GB Advance. And I never had an home console. So naturally I grew up with the old Super Mario games, Pokemon and Tetris. I still stick occasionally to Pokemon. But from that era, my love for occasional mini-game based games stayed. I still like to play stuff like Bejweled and Zuma on PC. (But I hate Candy Crush because of its hype)
Another PC-genre wich stick to me and which I will continue onto PS are hidden object games. When I was younger I never understood how anyone could like those games. Now I dig them, even if I fully know, that they can't compete with most games when comparing storylines :D

Console-wise, my main genre are JRPGs. I started with Kingdom Hearts and that just stuck to me. It is still my favorite series on console overall and ever. Besides that, I like Final Fantasy and Tales series, although I never played any of them through except FF XV and Tales of Xilia 1. It's just so hard to invest 60+ hours continuously into one single game...

Visual Novels are my second favorite genre on console, especially on Vita, but I don't mind playing on the bigger screens. My favorites there are Steins;Gate as well as Danganronpa series (as far as that one can count as a VN)

Open world definitely. Obviously for the exploration factor, I can spend a long, long time just wandering around. I appreciate games like Skyrim or Fallout, even MGSV where I'm free to do as I please and can take the story at my own leisure without being railroaded into the next cutscene when I want to have a look around. The games I mentioned also either give me someone, or something to build on from scratch so I like roleplaying/simulation elements thrown in there too. 

I have mentioned it before, that I so liked the formula of Vampire the Masquerade. I really want to see a mix of modern firearms with medieval weapons and setting which flows over Gothic architecture to urban gloomy streets. Plus all with social and combat RPG elements, that deep like in Deus Ex. And an option to game play by monsters, creatures too.

The most close what came to mind in present is Bloodborne and it seems so close with Code Vein. Something like that should be.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

Survival horror always comes in first place then RPG's

S.H. is the only genre in which i have an obsession, it's like a good drug for me 

OLD resident evil, silent hill, outlast <3  , rule of rose, clock tower, evil within, fatal frame, dead space, parasite eve, alien isolation

RPG's - Final fantasy series, skyrim <3 , dark cloud, chrono trigger, dragon age series, the witcher series, dragon quest series

Sandbox and RPGs. Even better when they're together! I love being able to do whatever I want and not always be on a strict line of one part of a story to the next. I like to just mess around, collect things, do side quests as a break from the main story.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get into the original Tomb Raider series since I thought the controls were clunky, but the reboot gets that and everything else right.  I'm looking forward to ROTTR's sequel.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:54 PM, Lawless_Llama said:

Survival Horror is my absolute jam, although the combination of 3 person shooters and action/adventure games has led to some of my favorite games of all time such as the Uncharted series and the Tomb Raider reboot. 

JRPGs- Legend of Heroes/Trails & Ys series

FPS- CoD Black Ops (these three are quite different from the usual CoD games... come on Activision, bring Treyarch back for 2018's CoD), Hard Reset, Serious Sam series

Gun games- Time Crisis series (Should TC5 come out on PS4, I'm going to buy it on day one.), Razing Storm (love being able to destroy damn near everything in this one)

• 4 weeks later...