Why are people so worried about being the first to get a trophy in a game?

TheSleepyBeauty

Here we go again. Why are we constantly being told how to play & how to go for trophies. I look at the people who are first quite a lot actually. I'm 2nd in a few games & I look at them like "what if" ?

While it's not as grandiose as being the first to the moon. In our usual, work/eat/sleep/game lives, being the first is pretty cool. 

With all respect I feel as if you could have answered your own question, since you've been on both sides of the fence. You sound as if you fell out of love with it & trashing it is the way you're dealing with that. 

It's all good, we'll play how we play. 

• Like 2

I remember I was trying to be one of the first to Platinum Destiny 2, had all trophies when trials was going up, had three people and jumped in immediately. But i couldn't win a single match and took me two hours to win once... Wasn't even in the top 100 to Platinum the game.

Also trying to be worlds first in certain games is very annoying because of people getting early copies and once that happens you don't even get the chance to be first. That's why I tried for Destiny because everyone had a fair chance to be first since everyone had the game when the Platinum became possible.

I don't think I'll manage to be world first in anything, yet alone top ten. But that doesn't bother me luckily.

Why. Why. Why....because some people just care too much. Why we got all these why why questions in trying to understand why others go for trophies etc lately? Does what other enjoy doing bother us that much that we got to question others? Its very simple....we like to challenge ourselves in different ways. And this is one.

I don't care about those things at all. I play only for fun, when I have free time (and I haven't much lately). And I only go for platinums in games that are easy to obtain it or games that I really love (It took me 4 years to get Tales of Xillia's platinum).

But well, everybody has the right to have fun the way they like, right? The best would be that all players played games how they want.

6 hours ago, Wdog-999 said:

Because Sonic comes down from the heavens and honors anyone who can be the first to get a platinum. I remember when he came down for me and it was amazing. I imagine people would kill for the experience.

I have a feeling that thing that came to visit you late at night from "heaven" wearing a blue mask and gave you that amazing experience wasn't sonic. 

Not something I've ever gone out of my way to do really, I did unintentionally become the first to plat neverend just playing it finding everything out for myself playing blindly and it was a good feeling I shan't lie lol. 

I can definitely see why there are gamers out there that like to get this down but it's not for me. Each to their own and all that though. 

It's understandable that you've had a shit time of something and want to warn others against doing the same. What I'd say though, it's really up to others how they want to play and unless it's damaging to other players experiences then I think their choice ought to be respected. If they decide it isn't for them, that's something they'll find out for themselves, just like everything else in life. 

Expanding further, while you're right in saying there's some members here who try to be the first to achieve something which is something you didn't find enjoyable, on a website like this it's to be expected that some players will be highly competitive or find it enjoyable to push themselves. While I think most of us regard what we do as a way to relax or whatever, some people want to be the best, or the first to do something, not just in gaming but in everything they do. Maybe there's a different reason for some people, taking their mind off their troubles, had some spare time than usual, who knows. Maybe others have become the first achiever by accident. This is the problem with judging people by their achievements and profiles, we simply don't know their circumstances or motivations behind what they do unless they come out and say it themselves. 

My thought right now is it's great that you care about others and want to help players avoid the situation you found yourself in. Ultimately though and like I said above, players will find out for themselves if the path you were on if the right one for them. I've seen many players here reach a certain milestone or do something that's difficult and start taking it easier afterwards so I think in general we can probably trust that players, at least in this community would do the right thing for themselves if they got to the point that you did and felt the way you do now. 

16 hours ago, ChampionPrince said:

Don't get me wrong I did feel a sense of accomplishment but it's the way I did it. It's not an easy task to do too. It's really hard and frustrating. I used to hate when I thought I was the 4th or 5th person to get a trophy then all of a sudden I'm knocked to 15th when random people update their trophies. But I understand everyone here that it's not my life to choose how they should get their trophies. It just feels like a job rather than playing a game. I just want people to get out of that addiction of trying to get every single trophy first for games they don't even like. That's an issue people have on here and I was one of them.I do hope you understand. 

This is the feeling of a completionist in general.

I’m with you in this one, personally I look at the first achiever/fastest board as a run down of no lifers. If I was to get the first trophy or platinum for something I would honestly feel like such a loser rather than any kind of pride. Each to their own I guess but I’d rather my virginity didn’t grow back.

when i see first achievers all that comes to mind is "lol he paid full price for this shit"

being 1st achiever sucks cuz you're the guinnea pig that's going in blind. it was not fun to spend 50+ hrs on NeverEnd then i helped my buddy plat it in 5-10h  (i bought it day 1 since it was $4)

fastest achiever has more weight to it, but even that's stupid because for some reason this site tracks fastest 100%, not plat, which nobody gives a fuck about since DLC is always added. but even if it did track fastest plat time, it wouldnt be entirely accurate since the leaderboard is skewed. someone might think they have fastest plat for Killing Floor 2 for example, when in reality theres many ppl like me with even faster times :dunno:

hunting primarily for leaderboards is silly, but yeah, to each their own & all that

Edited by Thropy_Hore

My signature lists the fastest times in certain games I completed.

I'm rank 45th in first to 100 percent Firewatch, and rank 22nd in first to platinum Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour.

It's up to you whether or not you want to reach the first page in a game. I got 5th in fastest achievers in Velocity 2X and I literally didn't even try to be fast. I worked my ass off to get rank 1 in Wolfenstein 3D and I managed to shave off a minute less than the 2nd fastest achiever.