Why are people so worried about being the first to get a trophy in a game?

TheSleepyBeauty

I don't understand it. I'll admit I used to get a games on release date and try to be the first to get the trophies and/or the platinum. It basically consumed my life. I was more worried on getting the trophy than actually enjoying the game. What's the outcome? To let people see that you got the platinum first than anyone else? It's really not worth it. TBH. I got the first Platinum on Harvest Moon and it honestly didn't feel very rewarding at all. I didn't sleep at all for the 4 days and I got myself sick over it. I wanted to play this game because it was my childhood but I was worrying to see if anyone else will get the platinum before me. It's selfish and degrading. There is no fun earning trophies when you want to be the first one to get them. Really isn't. My advice is to just enjoy the game and if you want to get a trophy have fun getting it don't rush yourself so you can achieve it before anyone else. Honestly nobody gives a crap if your the first platinum achiever for a game. They might look at your name and say "okay" and move on in life. So please don't be like I was and focus more on trying to get the trophies before anyone else. Play the game, enjoy it like cake. Savior every bite don't eat it all at once. 1f917.png

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Van-Helsings said:

i think it's because usually the first people to acquire a game and play it are actually not even supposed to play it before a certain date. So if they are the first one to get a trophy in a game, then it would be as if they were caught red-handed...

Red-handed? Developers, testers and reviewers receive early copies all the time.

8 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

I'm guessing age plays a factor. They're young, they think they can be the first but then get upset when someone else beats them to it. Since they're young, they haven't learned that life doesn't always work the way you want.

Since the dawn of time there were people who found drug-like pleasure in being first in stuff. If it's important to them, then it is, I guess. We could argue there are more important things to be first at, but ultimately, it's subjective. For some people, trophy hunting is the most important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampionPrince said:

Honestly nobody gives a crap if your the first platinum achiever for a game.

While I tend to agree with you, there are some people out there who feel it's important to them. As others have said, we all play our games in our own way for our own reasons. I think we all realize that trophies are utterly meaningless outside of our own opinion of the ones we have (and maybe a few friends), but we all still try to get them all like Pokemon regardless.

While being world first to get a Platinum trophy isn't exactly something you're going to put on your resume, and not something you're necessarily going to brag about at work the next day, that doesn't mean that certain people don't get a personal sense of accomplishment from setting this as a goal and achieving it. To each their own and all that, whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

Probably the same reason people always come along in comment threads and post "FIRST!".

They want to feel not just that they achieved something, but that they are the only one who can claim that achievement. Being "just a person with such and such platinum" doesn't sound that great. Being the first person to obtain that platinum, now that sounds a bit better, and no one else can claim that. 

• Like 1

Because Sonic comes down from the heavens and honors anyone who can be the first to get a platinum. I remember when he came down for me and it was amazing. I imagine people would kill for the experience.

But seriously though, it's just a mark of pride to be able to get the trophies before everyone else. It doesn't mean much given it isn't tracked, but then, you could say that about the entire trophy metagame, tracked or not, considering that it ultimately has no inherent meaning.

• Like 1

I don't do it, I don't bother with trophies at all anymore... but I get it.  The race against the clock has a certain thrill to it.  And people like having their names at the top of a leaderboard.

And in fairness, if you're the first to get a difficult trophy or platinum, it probably means you didn't use a guide to get it.  Which in certain cases can be quite impressive.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Swotam said:

While I tend to agree with you, there are some people out there who feel it's important to them. As others have said, we all play our games in our own way for our own reasons. I think we all realize that trophies are utterly meaningless outside of our own opinion of the ones we have (and maybe a few friends), but we all still try to get them all like Pokemon regardless.

While being world first to get a Platinum trophy isn't exactly something you're going to put on your resume, and not something you're necessarily going to brag about at work the next day, that doesn't mean that certain people don't get a personal sense of accomplishment from setting this as a goal and achieving it. To each their own and all that, whatever floats your boat.

Don't get me wrong I did feel a sense of accomplishment but it's the way I did it. It's not an easy task to do too. It's really hard and frustrating. I used to hate when I thought I was the 4th or 5th person to get a trophy then all of a sudden I'm knocked to 15th when random people update their trophies. But I understand everyone here that it's not my life to choose how they should get their trophies. It just feels like a job rather than playing a game. I just want people to get out of that addiction of trying to get every single trophy first for games they don't even like. That's an issue people have on here and I was one of them.I do hope you understand. 

• Like 1

It's pretty hard to be the first to earn any trophy with review copies and early access. But the high people get from being first is the same high fastest achievers get. In a sense, I can understand it, but I don't have any motivation to do it. It's not why I play games... For others, it is.

Would be nice goal for me too. But beeing first on a Plat or trophy isnt a "fair" race. People get copies earlier than release, reviewer , streamer , youtuber, gametester. Dont get me wrong , its not a negative critisism for these people, i just think trying to be first in a race were people dont start at same point isnt a race for me. So why bother to be first if not everyone has same startpoint? Few years ago first achiever impressed me , but now i dont look at this anymore.

I have never looked at that "Leaderboard" the only thing i like to do when throphy hunting is getting my overall completion % as high as possible. I will go back to older games and will play some shitty ones and or easy ones but i dont care about a race to the first plat or something like that. 

If people do like that, please continue doing it. I'm not even bothered and when others enjoy something like that im not the person to take that away from anyone.

Everyone is different for example: some like to get as many trophies as they can, some like to get only 100% completion, some like to get as much platinum trophies as possible, some like to get only games they enjoy and you can continue this list like forever. 

Just enjoy the game you play however you want to enjoy it, BUT HAVE FUN WITH IT! 

• Like 4

Thank you for your input. I think in a trophy hunter community, players expressing their personal experience should be welcome. And it's making conversation i like the chi-chat ?

I do agree that games should always be fun, and if it was stressing you, you did good to stop. I am in the list for being the "first" but not on top on 2 games, the first game was accidental, i bought it because i liked the art, it's an indie game and when i realised i was there it was a surprise. And the second game, was telltale batman for ps3, my husaband bought the game because he liked telltale, i played first than him and i was bored to death and just wanted to be done with it as soon as possible. lol. There was a glitch back there, the game froze and no1 could finish the game. Some members of the community here, myself included had to make posts in social networks to get telltale to fix the game... heh..

That is a factor for ppl finishing the game first, eventually they might find glitches!!

Some things are good for some trophy hunters, other things are not....I guess. ?

29 minutes ago, Venocide said:

I don't see a problem with it, as long as they don't constantly brag about it to the point that you want to strangle them. Not naming names, but there are a couple of people on this site that like to do that...

Now now don't make me curious :giggle:

• Like 3

You know, I was the first person to get all the achievements for The Forest on Steam. After getting 75% through exploration I became determined to get them all. 60 hours in a week. Was it worth it? Well...

YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT IT WAS:

c754a25a92.pngccv

Not really, I thought to myself 'oh, cool' - and never touched the game again. If going for #1 makes the person happy then go for it, we shouldn't be bothered by how other people want to play their games

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Venocide said:

I don't see a problem with it, as long as they don't constantly brag about it to the point that you want to strangle them. Not naming names, but there are a couple of people on this site that like to do that...

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

Now now don't make me curious :giggle:

Haha xD so it wasn't just me :)

• Like 2