What are you reading?

Rankineer

On 7/2/2017 at 6:03 PM, angelgrievous said:

Vonnegut is one of my favorites.  If you like Slaughterhouse you should give Cat's Cradle a read, it's really good.  

I've already read Cat's Cradle :)  It was one of my first experiences of Vonnegut.  Breakfast of Champions has been my favorite so far.

• Like 1

Commentaries-on-the-Gallic-War.jpg

Maybe I'll learn a thing or two about history and warfare from this one. Don't worry, I'm not planning to go conquer France or anything.

112292.jpg

I'm reading the first part of The Lost Fleet series (Finnish version)by Jack Campbell. This one should be interesting since it's more about effects of prolonged warfare than a fancy almost magical future. Fearless but unskilled Alliance has fought against the Syndics hundreds of years without either one getting decisive upper hand. Problems are similar to the World War 1 when materials and men were plentiful but commanders had to learn their skills in the battlefield and honor and bravery were more important than tactics.

• Like 1

th?id=OIP.XlHHJ18sSb9CdAMAD7KJiwDIEs&pid=15.1

Actually a pretty good book in my opinion. Nate is the type of kid who causes mischief in school and questions why it even exists. He believes he is destined for greatness but always ends up in trouble whether it be by eating in class, not doing homework, pranks, etc. I've had this book since middle school and I'm just now reading it. If Jeff Kinney, author of the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, says it's funny then it must be a great book. :D

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 1

Spoiler

7166YwIDQCL.jpg

The Witcher - The Last Wish.

I started playing The Witcher 3 a few weeks ago and I completely fell for the universe, the story, (Geralt), etc... and I needed to read the books before venturing further into the game. And I really love it so far !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

220px-TheCentaur.jpg

Currently rereading The Centaur by John Updike, a criminally underrated book in my opinion.

Basically the book is a modern retelling of the Olympian tale of Chiron, in which Chiron is a high school teacher and Olympus takes the form of a small town U.S high school. As the legend goes Chiron was the noblest and wisest of the Centaurs, who, painfully wounded yet unable to die, gave up his immortality on behalf of Prometheus. Some pretty fantastical stuff gets woven into the everyday minutia of a small high school, still my favourite Updike novel by a long way.

Edited by paranoia_agent85

9 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

I read it years ago.  Hope the movie does it justice.

From the trailers it seems like it'll be pretty good. I've been counting down the days till the movie comes out. Im so excited. 

Edited by Firefoxie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

51TLdZuC+nL.jpg

and

the-crucible.jpg

I'm reading both stories as part of my English 3 Honors class. So far they're both very intriguing and they contain a lot of bigger vocabulary terms, especially The Scarlett Letter. Which is good because I can study these words and expand my vocabulary knowledge. :)

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I took a pause from reading The History of the Runestaff, which is a 4 book collection, to read some Knut Hamsun.

Read:

Knut Hamsun - Growth of the Soil

220px-Growth_of_the_Soil.jpg

Though, in Norwegian, and it's so well written! :D Yeah, I know the controversy surrounding it, but it's not without reason he got the Nobel literature prize because of it, even after being one of the earliest pioneers of modernism, he still pulled off this epic that pioneered in yet a new genre (Norwegian new realism and I guess with rather obvious national romanticism), a genre he would stick with to the end.

Well, what is it about? Something that sounds as boring as it can be, but for some reason it's not. It's about a hardworking man who builds his own home, creates a family and takes care of said family. What makes the book isn't simply the idyll of this, but rather how what should be such a simple idea is not. It's actually all about the interaction and conflicts with world around the main characters and modernity etc. It has some pretty clear messages about hard work, and some modernity skepticism etc which late Hamsun is known for politically.

I also read:

Knut Hamsum - Mysteries

MysteriesHamsun.jpg

This one I didn't enjoy anywhere near as much, but it's a pretty interesting book and one of his earlier works. Don't get me wrong, the book has some great moments, especially the second half of the book and particularly near the end where things gets more clear and you learn about a lot of clever stuff. It makes you think a bit.

What is it about? Well, it's about an eccentric guy who comes to a city and acts... mysteriously. There are things in the city that is strange and the main character tries to figure some of it out while at the same time gets tangled into the mess. There's a couple of great characters and some love drama etc. :P

Another book I read:

Knut Hamsun - Pan

PanHamsun.jpg

I think this book is part of a series of books, but I haven't read them all. This book is simply one of his more famous, (though Hunger and Growth of the Soil are by far the most famous and better books of him).

One thing that is not too clear just casually reading the book is how the main portion of the book told by the main character himself is so painted by his own opinions about himself. That what he talks about is his perspective and it's not necessarily a positive perspective compared to what others look at him. It's mainly about two lovers, and their irrationality, how they do the wrong things in the moment, how a small misunderstanding leads to conflicts, pride etc, and how they reason about it.

Knut Hamsun - Victoria

d0e12ac07362f74fcd2f8b1d4817fb57bbbd63ff

Often criticized for not letting us closer in on the characters, even though they are totally up in your face and we learn about their struggles etc. This one is all about bitter love and how you can end up harming the one you love. It can be a very frustrating read, I guess in a good way?

Knut Hamsun - Wayfarers

9788129109576-us-300.jpg

Wayfarers refer to restless people, especially those who left from Europe to USA, but most of the story takes place in Norway. At first you may get the impression this book is about tricking people. It's not, and perhaps to an even larger degree than Growth of the Soil, this book has many characters and you get to learn about most of them rather intimately. It has many of the topics of Growth of the Soil, but instead of mainly focusing on one location, it focuses on an entire town and several other locations. It's about people's lives. In the center, like so many of Hamsun's books, you got an eccentric main character. This main character is not the focus of the entire book, as it mainly follows another character, but the two of them are friends and often work and travel together etc. The book even got two sequels. I've started reading the first sequel, well into it, but took a short break to finish up The History of the Runestaff.

Michael Moorcock - The History of the Runestaff

History_of_the_runestaff.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Runestaff

The story takes place in the Eternal Champion multiverse, and in a world rather parallel to that of reality and more precisely Europe. In the story Germania (Germany) is taking over the world. The main character is a bit unwillingly put in the role of doing a lot of stuff, which is pretty typical for an Eternal Champion. He's not as anti-hero as many of the other Eternal Champions, but he's more unwilling and everything is forced upon him. It's classic easily read sword and sorcery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Champion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_sorcery

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The-Great-Gatsby.jpg

catcher-in-the-rye1.jpg

I've heard great things about "The Great Gatsby". I'm aware that they've made 2 film adaptions based off the book. Not sure which one I'll be watching in class, but I'll definitely watch both independently. I'm not familiar with "The Catcher In The Rye". All I know currently is that it's about a 16 year old boy who is going through the stages of moving from a teenager to a young adult. But then develops this mentality of him being the protector of the innocence. That's all I know for now. I'm looking forward to reading both of these books. Have a great day! :)

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 3

Just finished up The Fireman by Joe Hill. This was my Halloween book this year, and it took me an extra two weeks to make it through. Good really, a little different take on the end of society with a fungus that causes people to combust. I wish more had been done to let the reader know what was happening throughout the world and in society in general.

Starting the Half-Made World by Felix Gilman. Which I guess is steampunk alt wild west.

elASBKY.jpg