The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Sin City (2005)                                                                                                                              Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) 

Sin City         qsUxWsl.png

• Like 4

MV5BYjZjNTJlZGUtZTE1Ny00ZDc4LTgwYjUtMzk0NDgwYzZjYTk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

With PayDay 3 coming out soon I figured I should watch something involving heists. For something that came out in 1995 a lot of it looks like it came out in recent years. I also like how loud the gun sounds are during the shootouts and I wonder how it sounded in theaters at the time it came out.

MV5BMTkzMTI3NTg5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM5

Finally, Fist of the North Star just as God and Yoshiyuki Okamura intended it to be. But yes lately I've been watching more Fist of the North Star stuff but unfortunately have run low on the good stuff which means scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point and I figured I might as well just see how this is. To my surprise it was a lot more funnier than I was expecting it to be but man they are all over the place as far as adaptations go.

In some ways they do things that are faithful to the source material but then they do things that don't make any sense at all. For brevity's sake I will put them in a spoiler and just in case someone wouldn't want this masterpiece spoiled.

Spoiler

-In the beginning they show how Ryuken (played by Malcolm McDowell) gets killed by Shin even though in the original series he dies by trying to seal Raoh's fist. They likely couldn't fit Raoh into the story so I can accept Shin killing him. However the way they go about it is weird because instead of killing Ryuken with a Nanto technique, Shin just straight up shoots him with a gun because I guess the ancient martial art that has defended Emperors for generations truly can't withstand the might of Samuel Colt. I feel it would have been more fitting if they just had Shin raise his hand and then swipe while showing blood hit the wall.

-Lin is introduced as blind for some reason, even though she is supposed to be mute when introduced.

-Bat is somewhat older although I suspect why for a reason listed below.

-Jagi is called Jackal for some reason and he doesn't know any techniques. He's also just a lackey for Shin whereas in the original he's supposed to be doing his own thing and feeds into Shin wanting to take Yuria from Kenshiro. He also doesn't have his cool mask or double-barreled shotgun.

-Yuria is called Julia for some reason and carries a bag of seeds. I assume the seeds are supposed to be a symbolic thing for life being born in the wasteland again.

-Near the end of the movie they just straight up kill off Bat by having Jagi stab him with a switchblade. I really don't know why they thought this a good idea since it obviously strays well beyond the original at this point. The reason I suspect Bat was made older was because if he were the same age as Lin, having a child get killed off would have been too dark.

That said, it's weird and entertaining in its own way. Kenshiro does his "You're already dead" moment but the way it's done is really weird and awkward to where it's more funny than anything. They also have Jagi say his iconic lines such as "We're gonna kill people! And we're gonna love it!" and "It ain't easy being sleazy." The funniest part of all is during the flashback where it shows Shin taking Yuria from Kenshiro and when Kenshiro is on the ground Shin employs the secret Nanto Seiken technique not mentioned in the manga or anime that I call the Nanto Nutcracking Technique where he just stomps on Kenshiro's balls out of nowhere and it looked really funny the way they did it. Along with that when he gives Kenshiro the big dipper scar on the chest it's surprisingly close to the way it's done in the source material but the screams Kenshiro does while it's happening are really funny.

The fights aren't too bad even though they don't really use the Hokuto techniques very much but I feel like they could have had more impact if they were done by Paul WS Anderson  but that would have taken away from the Mortal Kombat movie so maybe it's for the best. While other characters like Raoh and Rei don't make an appearance I kind of wish I could see the bizarro world timeline where this got sequels so I could see who was cast in that. They probably would have had Souther played by Dolph Lundgren and Raoh be Arnold Schwarzenegger while Rei is Jet Li or something.

Honestly I feel like the only people that would get this movie are people that have already seen Fist of the North Star but if you have then chances are you probably won't like it anyway unless you're willing to laugh at it.

Also Shin never does his iconic laugh which was a disappointment.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, El Duderino said:

John Wick 4 (2023)

The one-man army that cannot be stopped. Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise are the only true remaining Hollywood action heroes of our time. Let's enjoy them as long as they're around and everything else gets fucked up by leftist woke dogshit.

img_0073hae02.jpg

John wick 4 is very different from the other films going full steriods on many things, but they keep all of the content of the film being fun, kudos for that

I figured I would get Halloween started early. If Wal-Mart can then so can I.

MV5BN2M3Y2NhMGYtYjUxOS00M2UwLTlmMGUtYzY4MzFlNjZkYzY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc0OTEyNDU@._V1_.jpg

Seeing the title of this movie initially made me think it would be about a viking slasher film  instead of it taking place in the modern day but I wound up liking it and the way the twist is built up. It's still a recent movie so I don't really want to get too much into it other than I thought the buildup to the horror was good and the reveal is a bit creepy.

MV5BNzkwNDkyNTUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY1NTE3Nw@@._V1_.jpg

This was in the recommended list from Barbarian so I figured I might as well watch it since I like the premise of it. It's about some people that want to visit Pripyat which I mostly know of it from Call of Duty 4 and the Chernobyl show. They wind up taking an extreme tourism (which I didn't even know was the name of that sort of thing) in order to look around the abandoned town. They wind up visiting spots I recognized such as the playground/ferris wheel of One Shot, One Kill fame where you put Captain MacMillan down and lay down a bunch of C4. Unfortunately they don't go to the spot where Zakhaev's arm was probably left behind.

Along the way they find mutated fish and other wildlife which is why they should have paid extra to bring a Stalker with them instead of the guy named Yuri who only had a tracksuit and a pistol which didn't really cut it in hindsight. But I guess there weren't enough anomalies around to warrant that. Long story short things get really bad and they get lost to the zone. Thankfully they didn't run into a Controller or else they would have had no chance at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, El Duderino said:

The Matrix (1999)

After listening to "Mechanical Animals", this movie is the obvious one. Let's just pretend the three sequels never happened...

20230917_20014196dd6.jpg

I do recommend the Animatrix, though. Then again, I liked the two actual sequels just fine, so follow my tastes at your own discretion.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Slava said:

Oldboy (2003)

spacer.png

First of all, it's beautifully filmed and edited.

Second of all, the acting is out of this world. 

And third, what kind of sick bastard comes up with a story like this? Respect. I wasn't mentally prepared at all.

I can also say Thirst (2009 film) - Wikipedia its not bad at all

• Like 1

Halloween-Ends-Poster.jpg?strip=all&loss

Meant to watch this.  Forgot about it.  After finally seeing it, wish i had forgotten about it.  It’s bad.  Sometime around the hour mark this movie remembers it’s the conclusion of Michael Myers’ tale and not an after-school  special.  This is like a teen romance drama got spliced with a horror flick with some slopped together nonsense for the conclusion.  Nothing makes sense here.  The only satisfying part was the beginning because good riddance to that little asshole.   3/10

• Like 2