The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

On 28/07/2023 at 0:03 AM, LastMinuteSavior said:

Peak performance animation. Love it for the high quality and very detailed hand drawn art, but I am especially impressed how well the cyberpunk style of Ghost and Akira or the futuristic aesthetic and biomechanical mecha in Evangelion have aged. It's incredible how 30 year old designs are still being used as a reference and inspiration for new content on Eastern and Western animation, live action, and videogames.

Need to find this.....really enjoyed the 2017 movie....thought it was a comic originally, didn't realise it was an Anime movie.

2 minutes ago, ELVIN_THE_LION said:

Need to find this.....really enjoyed the 2017 movie....thought it was a comic originally, didn't realise it was an Anime movie.

It started as a manga, later they made the movie.

I found the Scar Jo movie very forgettable as a whole, but the visuals were very good. They put a lot of work into the vfx.

22 minutes ago, ELVIN_THE_LION said:

6 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

It started as a manga, later they made the movie.

I found the Scar Jo movie very forgettable as a whole, but the visuals were very good. They put a lot of work into the vfx.

Also, the anime is about giving up your identity to become a part of something bigger which is the most collectivist Japanese thing ever.

Meanwhile, the Hollywood adaptation is about searching for your identity, which is the most American thing. Needless to say, this change of the story was not met well by the fans. Not to mention the race swap.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, djb5f said:

Ghosted_Promo.png

The lovely Ana De Armas did her best to carry this film. 6.5/10

300poster.jpg

I don’t think I’ll rewatch the sequel as that didn’t deliver for me. 9.5/10

Into_the_Blue_poster.jpg
Now, this one was for the lovely Jessica Alba.

You must really like Ana de Armas. 6.5/10 is a very generous rating for Ghosted.

But yeah, I was impressed with her action scenes. That part in a cave or something, her cqc tactics there were very cool.

Probably has to do with all the training she got for No Time to Die and The Grey Man, maybe even her John Wick spinoff.

300 is awesome, but yeah, the sequel is mediocre. But going by your usual criteria, worth watching for Eva Green. :eyebrow:

21 hours ago, djb5f said:

Ghosted_Promo.png

The lovely Ana De Armas did her best to carry this film.  Started well enough but by the final chapter, I was losing interest.  The premise reminded me some of the TV show Chuck.  6.5/10

300poster.jpg

First time I watched this since its release and it still absolutely hits its mark.  Loved the storytelling and the stylization.  I don’t think I’ll rewatch the sequel as that didn’t deliver for me.  9.5/10.

Into_the_Blue_poster.jpg

Now, this one was for the lovely Jessica Alba and a movie that somehow I never watched.  I really liked the build-up of the first hour (buddy couples, moral dilemma) but was let down by the silliness of the action (and over-the-top body count) of the last 45 minutes.  I’ll still go ahead and give it a 7/10.  Potentially might watch the (straight to DVD?) sequel, we’ll see.

Intotheblue2cover.jpg

So I watched Into the Blue 2 featuring Laura Vandervoort (“V”) and Chris Carmack (“The O.C.”) and enjoyed it much more than I was expecting.  Probably slightly more the original.  Beautiful scenery (and not the just the people).  They were also able to take nice advantage of the unrated rating.  Like with a lot of movies it seems, I prefer the lighthearted build up and relationship drama over the action-filled climax.

This movie got bonus points for casting Parvati and Amanda from “Survivor” and Audrina from “The Hills”.  Other guilty pleasures I guess lol.

What’s funny is a co-star (Michael Graziadei) mentions that a girl named Parvati licked a spilled drink of his chest and I thought hmm, that’s an odd name as I only know of the Survivor one.  Maybe the name is more common than I thought but it was actually THE Parvati who shows up shortly thereafter.  Go figure.

Summer flick viewing at its finest.  7.5/10.

2 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

You must really like Ana de Armas. 6.5/10 is a very generous rating for Ghosted.

But yeah, I was impressed with her action scenes. That part in a cave or something, her cqc tactics there were very cool.

Probably has to do with all the training she got for No Time to Die and The Grey Man, maybe even her John Wick spinoff.

300 is awesome, but yeah, the sequel is mediocre. But going by your usual criteria, worth watching for Eva Green. :eyebrow:

Ana De Armas is a personal favorite, yes indeed.  I was introduced to her in the movie Knock Knock and mesmerized.  The first half of that movie was so compelling only to go completely off the rails.  A movie Ana definitely couldn’t save was Blade Runner 2049 but I digress and I think we covered that ground before ?

As for Eva Green, not personally her fault but she has the distinction to be in the underwhelming sequels to both 300 and Sin City, both of which I found fantastic. 

• Like 1

King Kong (2005)

Naomi-Watts-and-Empire-State-Building-in

Finally rewatched it since I saw it in theatres. The effects actually hold up really well. Jack Black was badass and this depiction of Skull Island is the creepiest its ever been. 

Edited by aceinstincts
  • Like 3

image.png

Absolutely loved Scream 6, can't wait for the sequel even though the change of directors got me a little bit worried.

A big round of applause to the RackaRacka's bros, for a film debut the movie was really good, expected more gore but that was ok (Would this be considered spoilers? lol, sorry)

Seeing Barbie and the Oppenheimer a few days apart was definitely the way to go, can't imagine sitting for so long in a double feature. Amazing movies that are so different but very enjoyable. 

• Like 4

MV5BMDBmYTZjNjUtN2M1MS00MTQ2LTk2ODgtNzc2M2QyZGE5NTVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzAwMjU2MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I finally went to go see this and I thought it was pretty good. It's still new so I won't go into too much detail but it's quite an explosive film with a soundtrack that radiates energy. There are a lot of parts where the sound started shaking the room and I wondered if the other theater rooms could feel it too. It really felt like I was there experiencing the explosions minus the radioactive fallout and blindness that accompanies it. Those moments and the music buildup reminded me of when I saw The Dark Knight in theaters and how tense it was so it was nice to experience that again. I'm glad to say that the movie didn't bomb my expectations along with the box office.

• Like 2

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

4fWREz3.jpg

As a fan of animation, I expected greatness from Across The Spider-Verse, and I'm still amazed. I feel like a 10 hour long breakdown of why it's so good wouldn't be enough.

Not only does it have the best looking animation I've ever seen (makes me want to rewatch it immediately), it's also an achievement in visual storytelling in general. They can present 3 story beats in one scene without compromising the fun/beauty/emotion and without being confusing. Making it flow so well is a great talent. The Spider-Verse team took the challenge and aimed for the stars. I don't think many people realise how hard this stuff is. The ending was an awkward place to stop, and it's probably the only thing that felt out of place. Otherwise, awesome movie. 

Beyond The Spider-Verse is already on the list of reasons to live.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3