The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

28 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Wait, what?

A walled-in kingdom built on a legacy of monster hunting that turns out to be a lie about how evil the monster is. Main character comes to befriend a monster and then exposes the self-serving lies of the corrupt ruling class who turn out to cause far more harm trying to sustain their rule than the monsters ever could. They really feel like two attempts at making the same movie.

Ad Astra

At times, it feels like an attempt to make a poem out of a scifi movie. It's a tad fragmentary and some stuff never gets explained, but it makes up for all that by being the most realistic depiction of future space travel I've seen yet. That is the closest to what the actual mid-to-late 21st century might look like I've seen so far. The story is average and honestly just there to get the mc around and showcase stuff, I feel, which is a shame. But I also feel the story is not the point. Ultimately, it doesn't matter why the surge is there or what on Earth (or rather, what on Moon) those space pirates are even trying to accomplish, this one is all about vibes.

• Like 2

asteroid-city-new-character-posters-clips-02.jpg

Probably my least favorite from Wes Anderson, but still enjoyable for the usual reasons: the dry humor, the characters, the quirky mise-en-scène and the beautiful visuals.

Not the kind of movie where I would expect to see full-frontal nudity though (Scar Jo's body double).

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 4

The Popes Excorcist 

Underwhelming fair - silly accents, formulaic script with too many ‘convenienances’, not enough demons to be truly interesting or scary.... Crowe is watchable though.

It is funny having a demon with the same voice as Cid in final fantasy 16 (both voiced by Ralph Ineson) and I couldn’t really stop thinking about that whilst he was going about doing demon-y things like making crucifixes turn upside down and writing words on the young boys skin.

overall the film was nowhere near ambitious enough considering the rich source material it had to work with. Also used potentially really interesting story arcs like demons infiltrating the Vatican but never does anything with it. Which was disappointing.

Could have been so much more, as it is I’ve had more fun going to church itself

• Like 2

Raging Bull

vuUGcgQ.jpg

What a film. The Scorsese + De Niro duo shines as bright as ever. De Niro is given a role of a troubled man, to put it lightly, once again. 4th time in a row in Scorsese's filmography. That said, his LaMotta performance is unlike any role he's done prior. Joe Pesci's acting was just as brilliant. Great start to a career.

The movie is not just a character study of a famous real life boxer and a horrible person with anger and jealousy issues, to name a few (some of these things were wild to admit in an autobiography). It's also an exploration of how work affects your personal life and vice versa. In some ways, the story becomes relatable. 

It shouldn't be understated how good the film looks as well. From the choice to film in black and white to pre-digital era use of slow motion. The use of light and shadow was smart too. Sure, the way blood sprays across the frame looks comical in 2023, but it can be overlooked.

Overall, I think I like Raging Bull slightly more than Taxi Driver. At least now. Time will tell.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

John_Wick_-_Chapter_4_promotional_poster

Watched John Wick 4. Most of what I would like to say about it would involve spoilers so I will refrain from doing that. This was pretty much non stop action, while they build a somewhat interesting lore with this series, the story in this was once again very simple, the characters are pretty straight forward, the focus is entirely on the action, and at almost 2 hours and 40 minutes I could say that it kinda got tiring at some points, some scenes definitely felt too long, especially since I don't think there is much variation to the fights. Still enjoyable, but I was not wowed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jamescush147 said:

18384332_master.jpg?disable=upscale&auto

The original anime classic from 1995.

Peak performance animation. Love it for the high quality and very detailed hand drawn art, but I am especially impressed how well the cyberpunk style of Ghost and Akira or the futuristic aesthetic and biomechanical mecha in Evangelion have aged. It's incredible how 30 year old designs are still being used as a reference and inspiration for new content on Eastern and Western animation, live action, and videogames.

• Like 3

MV5BN2U1ZDJkMmItMWQyYS00ZWQzLWI4YmEtNjYzYmY5YmU2M2NjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

The thirstiest comedy I've seen in a while.

They really went for the R rating. There are some genuinely outrageous and funny moments in this. Too bad most of the stuff around those moments has been done a million times.

Everything Everywhere's Stephanie Hsu is pretty fun here, but it's her co-lead Sherry Cola that steals the show.

• Like 3

Ghosted_Promo.png

The lovely Ana De Armas did her best to carry this film.  Started well enough but by the final chapter, I was losing interest.  The premise reminded me some of the TV show Chuck.  6.5/10

300poster.jpg

First time I watched this since its release and it still absolutely hits its mark.  Loved the storytelling and the stylization.  I don’t think I’ll rewatch the sequel as that didn’t deliver for me.  9.5/10.

Into_the_Blue_poster.jpg

Now, this one was for the lovely Jessica Alba and a movie that somehow I never watched.  I really liked the build-up of the first hour (buddy couples, moral dilemma) but was let down by the silliness of the action (and over-the-top body count) of the last 45 minutes.  I’ll still go ahead and give it a 7/10.  Potentially might watch the (straight to DVD?) sequel, we’ll see.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 3