The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

My Scorsese marathon continues with

New York, New York

71eE1At.jpg

I wasn't feeling the (mostly improvised, according to the actors) dialogue at all. More than once, I found myself waiting for a wordy exchange to end, especially in the beginning. Significant parts of the main pair's relationship were absent, and you realise that the conflicts and verbal battles take the stage on purpose. Still, I think there should've been a better way to build towards the conclusion.

The musical aspect was actually the stronger part of the movie, in my opinion. I liked the songs and Liza Minnelli's amazing voice. Some of them conveyed the emotions better than the dialogue. The jazz tunes with cool sax parts filled the rest of the soundtrack nicely.

The last third of the movie brought most of the parts that I liked, so that's where the movie peaked for me. New York, New York is certainly not my favourite Scorsese film, but it is an interesting part of his filmography nonetheless. 

I have to mention that one shot in the very beginning where Scorsese just decided to flex. Made me smile.

Also, I'm now convinced that this movie was the main inspiration for La La Land. Damien Chazelle must've thought "I can do something like this as well" and brought his story to the other coast.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

In cinemas last Thursday: Transformers: Rise of the Beast.

As a Transformers fan of the old movies, I still don't really know what to say about this reboot. But I still give the film 4 out of 5 stars because there were some parts in the film that were done really well, but I still think that the film lacks that certain something. Form your own opinion and take a look at yourself, is worth a recommendation.

• Like 4

The gentleman, another fantastic Guy Richie film. 

If you like Snatch or Lock Stock, you will love this. 

On 30/06/2023 at 9:38 PM, ChilledBrandon said:

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

My favourite Guy Ritchie film personally. I love Snatch as well.

e2e54f7fdc79a37474cc038cced3463a4ec7ee44c0d2602d62f5a9ceb666e731._RI_TTW_.jpg

The TV series of Lock Stock is pretty good too. 

• Like 2

Tenet

Okay, I really need to stop listening to what people tell me are good movies, because that was terrible. I think I get what it's about (the power authors have over their creation), but this feels more like one of those compilation videos on youtube that make "full movies" from random snippets that are only coherent in so far as they don't directly contradict each other. Like Nolan had a lot of cool ideas for scenes but was missing any connective tissue and started filming anyway. I feel like Nolan is going down the same route as Shyamalan in changing from a great director into a self-indulgent one believing his own hype and forgetting to actually make his movies good.

• Like 2

Today's movies. 

Not bad, worth a watch. Did not expect it to be as gory as it is. b9835336025604d79a5cf50981c71095eab1b59a

Easily the worst movie I've seen these 2 in. It's so bad, the acting is terrible. AAAABXjnleUi3QeXptGUjGGrv7weny1e4uDmSxRu

Bit daft but worth a watch I guess. 5064dbfb-b624-422f-bb5c-30515c9b3576?bas

Good film, one of the better ones I've seen this year. joebanner.jpg

One of the better Shark movies, CGI is pretty decent. The characters are dumb AF though. Worth a watch. maxresdefault1.jpg?w=1200

Better than I thought it would be, crazy how many horrors Lin Shaye is in. insidiousiii.jpg

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 3