The Love Boat

1 hour ago, Toogie53 said:

Just got bad news on the promotion thing that I've been waiting for the whole month on. Someone else got it. I got told I was in consideration until the very end, but it just didnt fall my way. That they felt like I deserved it but someone else made more sense. Blah blah blah. Honestly, the consolation words always feel hollow to me. Their investment with me ends as soon as the conversation is over and I walk out of their office. So they can say whatever the hell they want really. It doesn't change what happens.

This is one where being second place feels like being the first loser. I'm really bummed and feeling defeated right now. I just was hoping for some change and thought I had an particularly excellent shot at this opportunity including having a friend as the hiring manager. When you don't succeed with the odds are stacked in your favor, its hard to feel hopeful.

Anyway, I'll get over it. Just kind of venting and giving an update at the same time. Things are good where I am currently at and there is something else on the horizon to chase after. But for tonight I'm going to eat ice cream and sulk. 

Sorry to hear that Toogie, it really does suck when you miss out on these things. You are well within your rights to sulk for a bit but at the same time at least you are putting yourself out there and trying to go further in your career that is always admirable. Took me two rejections with my current employer for a promotion into my department before I was successful so I know how you're feeling but I'm sure you'll get there

• Like 2

@ShogunCroCop That is seriously really shitty dude. No one anywhere should be laid off or fired because of an accident or anything else in and around that. That's not fair what so effin ever! Just count your blessings though. It could have been WAY worse. Hope you've been doing okay. If you haven't found any work yet then I wish you luck and if you have, that's awesome ^-^ Atm, my situation is alright. I'm just hoping I don't get fired because of my inexperience as a sales associate >.< My fingers are crossed too. For us both. Also, I hope you and your wife enjoyed the episode! I cried a few times lmao

@Uchiha_Snake__ That must have been rough but you gotta do what you gotta do right? I live in Ontario so I have no idea what it's like out west in Vancouver lol. I think if you moved to Canada, you'd like it. Would take some getting used to because of how things work here but it's not so bad. 

I always give it my best and I do my best but technically I work for an American company and tbh, their way of how we have to do things a certain way (it's a baby/kids clothing store) like folding the clothes is bloody ridiculous.. I would go find something else but I may move at some point this year and I have no idea where I'm going to wind up. Really want to work at EB (GameStop). Feel like it would be the best job for me so I can just nerd out all the time and not have to act like I know my current job. ? (Which I do, sorta, but I'm not around babies and kids all the time and I don't talk a lot. Makes it difficult).

@Toogie53 Sorry to hear that. :( You are right though. There will be another, BETTER, opportunity that comes your way and I feel like it will work out for you. Just keep doing your best! :) Eat all the ice cream and tomorrow will be a better day!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xMissFantasy said:

@ShogunCroCop That is seriously really shitty dude. No one anywhere should be laid off or fired because of an accident or anything else in and around that. That's not fair what so effin ever! Just count your blessings though. It could have been WAY worse. Hope you've been doing okay. If you haven't found any work yet then I wish you luck and if you have, that's awesome ^-^ Atm, my situation is alright. I'm just hoping I don't get fired because of my inexperience as a sales associate >.< My fingers are crossed too. For us both. Also, I hope you and your wife enjoyed the episode! I cried a few times lmao

I am a softie. My wife didn't cry at all, but I did. To be fair, she wasn't fond of the character involved. We did enjoy the episode. I think Negan is the best villain they have had, and honestly, part of me wants him to win, even though I know he won't. I did get another job after that other one. I am definitely glad I have stability again, after a rough 2017. But so far, I am trying to kick ass this year, and it is working.

@Toogie53, keep your head up. I know it's difficult, and I know what I am about to say is the most cliche thing anyone can say, but maybe there is a better promotion out there for you, and fate knows it and that's why you didn't get this one. I know over the course of my career, things have been a rollercoaster, but I also know that whatever I am doing, that is where my skills are needed the most. 

• Like 1

@ShogunCroCop My dad and I have been watching it together since the very first episode, and we both weren't too fond of him in the beginning (so I don't blame her lol). He grew on us. Even my dad teared up (which I RARELY see that happen). Some things that were said just hit us in the feels. :P 

I agree. Negan is easily the best villain TWD has had and Jeffery Dean Morgan does a fantastic job at portraying him. Villains never win, unless you're the Joker lmao. 

That's great! Last year (well, the last few years here) have definitely been rough but hey, just keep doing what you're doing and kick all the ass along the way! So keep it up! ^-^

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm feeling a little better about things this morning and I'm trying to treat today like a normal day. I was able to play some games last night and that's a good way for me to blow off steam and get my mind thinking about something else. I'm still kind of waiting to see who actually got it. If it's someone I don't respect, it will be another blow to the ego. Like I mentioned though, my friend was the hiring manager and I have to trust that someone really special came along. 

• Like 3

Games are my therapy and stress relief too Toogs. Hows it going in Transistor btw? I flipped a coin between starting that or Unravel last night.

Unravel won and now Im knitting my way across the Unravel world. Transistor will be coming up in my queue soon though.

Have faith brother that something better is coming down the pipe for you. B)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm feeling a little better about things this morning and I'm trying to treat today like a normal day. I was able to play some games last night and that's a good way for me to blow off steam and get my mind thinking about something else. I'm still kind of waiting to see who actually got it. If it's someone I don't respect, it will be another blow to the ego. Like I mentioned though, my friend was the hiring manager and I have to trust that someone really special came along. 

I hope whoever got it was well qualified for the job, as it seems like you were the perfect candidate.  Unfortunately, I've wanted a few jobs that went to someone who I couldn't fathom should get it.  I guess it is just the personal preference of each supervisor that is doing the interviewing.  But, you know what?  It just made me refocus where I want to be in a few years and work toward that goal.

1 hour ago, donut_plz said:

Games are my therapy and stress relief too Toogs. Hows it going in Transistor btw? I flipped a coin between starting that or Unravel last night.

Unravel won and now Im knitting my way across the Unravel world. Transistor will be coming up in my queue soon though.

Have faith brother that something better is coming down the pipe for you. B)

I really like some aspects of it. I think it's weakest point is the story. It doesn't make much sense to me but serves well enough to move you along with some purpose. I might understand it better when I go through on New Game + not in a brain fog. The art is great and so is the music. The gameplay, while hard to describe, is really excellent and probably the best part.

8 minutes ago, monkeydluffy512 said:

Update

Finished Rime, and I was pleasantly surprised by the story. It was beautiful and heart wrenching and was complimented very well with great music 1f622.png.

I loaned that one to a friend and they gave it back saying, "Why did you not warn me that this game would destroy me."

So I apparently either have the worst luck ever or just suck at Journey.  Two times now I've tried going for the Companion trophy only to end up with a lone wolf type of person who skips ahead in the last chapter and I lose them.  Yeah, I suck at that area, but would be nice if a companion would have a bit of patience and wait for me after I nicely waited for them in the previous chapter.  Also can't seem to find someone willing to wait 20 freaking seconds so we can get Reflection.

1 minute ago, ladynadiad said:

So I apparently either have the worst luck ever or just suck at Journey.  Two times now I've tried going for the Companion trophy only to end up with a lone wolf type of person who skips ahead in the last chapter and I lose them.  Yeah, I suck at that area, but would be nice if a companion would have a bit of patience and wait for me after I nicely waited for them in the previous chapter.  Also can't seem to find someone willing to wait 20 freaking seconds so we can get Reflection.

I'm awake and not doing anything. Let me know if you want to try for it.

I will have to ask for a game change to my list. Some terrible stuff is happening at my work and I'm super not in the mood to go through a dystopian visual novel while going through that. I would like to put Saint Seiya: Soldier's Soul in my Partnership spot instead (Army of mystical soldiers working together to save their goddess).

(For those that actually care, my problem is the opposite to Toogie; my direct superior just announced 2 days ago that they are leaving on medical leave for the next 3-6 months and I got a forced promotion to a post that I didn't ask for. I know maybe 60% of the work that they do, but I'll have to work double shifts for the next week or so until we can hire someone to do the work I was already doing. It's not great.)

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 10:14 AM, Toogie53 said:

If it's someone I don't respect, it will be another blow to the ego.

Don't let that happen! I am playing through Ni No Kuni and I see a lot of this - everyone who gets their heart broken by the Dark Djinn (other than one couple who keeps losing pieces of heart for no reason other than to give you merit stamps xD) has lost faith in themselves and fallen into despair, and I can tell that giving in to despair is the first symptom of losing the will to live. If I was in your shoes, hell yeah I'd be miffed if my dream job was given to some B-rank loser, or worse, someone who would end up destroying the company through incompetence or greed and I'd be ready to warn the manager, but if you allow your ego to get wounded like that, you're halfway dead and that would hurt everyone on this thread because they look up to you. Well, at least me. You gave me a place to feel like something even though I commit the taboo of giving up on my old accounts. (I am not naming names of the other places.) :(

Good luck on whatever you do.

Edited by CJ_Mystery
  • Like 1

I just found out who got the promotion and it's just some random dipshit from another department that we support (as in I usually teach them how to do certain aspects of their job). Other than being pretty good looking, I don't know what he brought to the table. It's apparently enough to overcome a degree in the field, ten years of internal experience at the company, every technical skill that could possibly be required for the job, and a supposed friendship with the hiring manager. Needless to say, the hiring manager lost boatload of respect from me and all my trust. I thought it would make more sense when I saw who actually got it and it doesn't. They offered to talk things over with me, but I declined. I didn't want to get caught in a situation where I'd say something I'd end up regretting. I'm moving on. I just thought I'd post this last update on that situation since it's kind of interesting. 

Edited by Toogie53

@ladynadiad   No problem. I didn't wait around hoping you'd say yes or anything ? I haven't heard of the glitch you mentioned but it's not like I am a Journey expert. I'm around in the late evenings usually, If you want, send a friend request and we can try it out. You can unfriend me after and I won't think it's awkward. I usually unfriend people after boosting sessions too. If you don't want, it's no issue. 

@ArtikSkarab No problem on the game change. I'll update your list in a moment. 

@CJ_Mystery I'm surprised any of you look up to me with just my random gaming postings. But I appreciate the sentiments. I am keeping my chin up. I'm angry about the situation, but I'm not slipping into the depths of despair. Mostly I'm just baffled on why I wasn't enough. I don't know the guy well enough to make an actual condemnation or think he's going to be a failure in the role. However, judging on his title and department he is currently in, I'm way more advanced in ability/experience than the average Joe from there would be. He was one rung above entry level, but now where I wanted to be next after a decade of investment in the company.

Edited by Toogie53

11 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

I'm surprised any of you look up to me with just my random gaming postings. But I appreciate the sentiments. I am keeping my chin up. I'm angry about the situation, but I'm not slipping into the depths of despair. Mostly I'm just baffled on why I wasn't enough. I don't know the guy well enough to make an actual condemnation or think he's going to be a failure in the role. However, judging on his title and department he is currently in, I'm way more advanced in ability/experience than the average Joe from there would be. He's like one rung above entry level. 

Then let's hope he gets demoted for doing a horrible job and you get to take his place :dance:.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

I just found out who got the promotion and it's just some random dipshit from another department that we support (as in I usually teach them how to do certain aspects of their job). Other than being pretty good looking, I don't know what he brought to the table. It's apparently enough to overcome a degree in the field, ten years of internal experience at the company, every technical skill that could possibly be required for the job, and a supposed friendship with the hiring manager. Needless to say, the hiring manager lost boatload of respect from me and all my trust. I thought it would make more sense when I saw who actually got it and it doesn't. They offered to talk things over with me, but I declined. I didn't want to get caught in a situation where I'd say something I'd end up regretting. I'm moving on. I just thought I'd post this last update on that situation since it's kind of interesting. 

Why do I get this feeling that what happened was that some bigwig in the company wanted that person in the position and that pretty much overshadowed everyone else's opinions?  It sucks that so often in workplaces it's not about who will do the best job, but about who you know.  But I agree with the others, you'll have something come your way soon enough and it may even be better than this one.

Anyway, I'm just going to keep on trying with Journey, I still have a glyph and glowing symbol to get and I suck at not missing those gates in the surfing area too.  Maybe I'll finally find someone nice and patient while working on those.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ArtikSkarab said:

I will have to ask for a game change to my list. Some terrible stuff is happening at my work and I'm super not in the mood to go through a dystopian visual novel while going through that. I would like to put Saint Seiya: Soldier's Soul in my Partnership spot instead (Army of mystical soldiers working together to save their goddess).

(For those that actually care, my problem is the opposite to Toogie; my direct superior just announced 2 days ago that they are leaving on medical leave for the next 3-6 months and I got a forced promotion to a post that I didn't ask for. I know maybe 60% of the work that they do, but I'll have to work double shifts for the next week or so until we can hire someone to do the work I was already doing. It's not great.)

Ouch that's really rough dude, but an awesome oppurtunity for you. Good luck with it all!

6 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

Been there brother, I'm sorry to hear that mate. It's wise not putting yourself in the spot to say something you regret but the feedback can be useful too.

1 hour ago, Toogie53 said:

I'm surprised any of you look up to me with just my random gaming postings. But I appreciate the sentiments.

You've brought together a really good little community here man, always a nice part of my day to hear what everyone is playing and doing in life :) 

Well, did pretty decently in Journey tonight and only have Companion left now.  Lucked out and in the second chapter I met a really nice traveler who sat with me and then later in chapter 4 they showed me a good way to get the last glowing symbol I needed, which was incredibly helpful.  Earlier I'd gotten my last glyph and finally got the one for going through the 15 gates (barely got it though).

Sadly we seemed to have lost each other after surfing down the sand, but I still appreciate someone who was helpful and helped me get two more trophies even if we couldn't finish the game together.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1