The Love Boat

Thursday update for me. Reason: I work retarded shifts all weekend starting today.. -.-"

I finished Psycho-Pass this afternoon and since I have a few hours before work, I'm going to start Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Haven't played it since the good ol' Xbox 360 days so I'm looking forward to it. :) Need a long break from grindy games anyways. :P  

7 hours ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

Yes indeed, there is a lot of farming/grinding in Borderlands 2 as well, but imo is the kind of farming/grinding that is fun?

Yeah Borderlands 2 is much better than Bleach in that category :/ i have repeated one mission (3-5 Min) a thousand times by now. It's boring by now. But no good alternative.

The only problem is that i'm not sure if i can finish in this event @Toogie53

Edited by Evil_Joker88

8 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Yeah Borderlands 2 is much better than Bleach in that category :/ i have repeated one mission (3-5 Min) a thousand times by now. It's boring by now. But no good alternative.

The only problem is that i'm not sure if i can finish in this event @Toogie53

Same here, though I should be able to plat Sen 3 this weekend and hopefully get a chunk of Journey done, but this is my weekend where I have a half day of work on Saturday, ugh.  If I can do that much, I'll have enough time I hope for Time and Eternity since that's a bit over 30 hours.  Only issue is that Time and Eternity isn't that good of a game, so it's not one that is easy to play for hours on end and is very easy to get distracted from playing, which is why I haven't finished it before now (that and it's got a 4GB install, so I keep having to delete it to make space for something else since I have a 12 GB PS3).

@Evil_Joker88 @ladynadiad I think you guys forgot that this is more than just a February event. The event goes halfway into March and end's after St. Paddy's Day weekend. Hence, the Irish bonus option. You still have nearly a whole month. I switched up my list because I have a few family birthdays and other random things like a planned date night, board game nights, and other obligations in early March. If not for those, I think I would have plenty of time for something lengthy like Final Fantasy.

For just @ladynadiad it looks like you are already close on Sen no Kiseki III and Journey can be done in a few hours if you're lucky with companions. That will complete the event and earn you the event badge regardless of what you do with Time and Eternity. The event badge will be themed around The Love Boat. The bonus game is to allow people the option of earning an additional badge, in this case a St. Patrick's Day themed one. I only give the bonus badge if you complete your main list and the bonus game. 

Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I keep having to delete it to make space for something else since I have a 12 GB PS3

Only 12 GB in your PS3? I had 40 GB in my first PS3 and changed that to 500 GB after two days. You can hardly download and install any game with that tiny HDD?! ??

No @Toogie53 i haven't forgotten it but it still may take half a month to complete Bleach ? ... I'm glad to make some progress in a 2nd game by now (Hatoful Boyfriend)

Edited by Evil_Joker88

FOR EVERYONE: Just some general info. I think I've settled into an event formula. Each event is going to be four games plus a bonus option. I plan to start the next event at the beginning of April and go halfway into May. That event will have spring puns as categories (example: Spring Forward = Play a game with a futuristic setting) and an Easter bonus game (Find an Easter Egg in game of your choice). Repeat that timing for events in June-July, August-September, October-November. And reset annually until I'm tired of doing it. I started these with a Halloween event last year. It was for doing 13 games. I'm going to change that up to still be 4 categories and a bonus game. Since I've kind of established a more casual pace. However, I will honor the past by offering a lifetime premium membership on this site ($13 value!) to those that finish 13 games during the October-November event.

Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Only 12 GB in your PS3? I had 40 GB in my first PS3 and changed that to 500 GB after two days. You can hardly download and install any game with that tiny HDD?! 1f605.png1f605.png

No @Toogie53 i haven't forgotten it but it still may take half a month to complete Bleach 1f610.png ... I'm glad to make some progress in a 2nd game by now (Hatoful Boyfriend)

Oh sucky. I didn't realize Bleach was that intense on game time. I think I'll finish up Ratchet and Clank this week. We can arrange a game trade or even I'd even risk loaning it out if you are interested in swapping it into your list. It would fit your category and its supposed to be 20ish hours. You could always find a way to make Bleach work in another contest where you have more time for it.

17 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Only 12 GB in your PS3? I had 40 GB in my first PS3 and changed that to 500 GB after two days. You can hardly download and install any game with that tiny HDD?! 1f605.png1f605.png

No @Toogie53 i haven't forgotten it but it still may take half a month to complete Bleach 1f610.png ... I'm glad to make some progress in a 2nd game by now (Hatoful Boyfriend)

I prefer buying physical copies of games and don't have PS Plus.  Also I tend to only be playing one game at a time.  At least it's not like the Vita where I can't even remove the game data without deleting my saves (though Vita allows for an easy upload to my laptop which has a 1 TB hard drive, but I hate buying digital even more on Vita because of that and my Vita only has a 4GB memory card).  On PS3 most of the digital only titles I would have wanted are available on Steam, so I just buy them there, assuming I hadn't already bought them years ago on Steam.  PS4 has more digital only exclusives I'm interested in, so I got a bigger hard drive there.  I'm actually primarily a PC gamer and only own consoles for exclusives and the rare cases where games lack achievements on Steam but have them on PSN, like Undertale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

June-July, August-September, October-November.

I can see the themes here:

• June-July: Summer theme
  • August-September: Back to school theme
  • October-November: This will probably be your 13 Plats of Halloween Theme
  • December-January: This will probably be your Code of the Elves theme

13 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

I can see the themes here:

• June-July: Summer theme
  • August-September: Back to school theme
  • October-November: This will probably be your 13 Plats of Halloween Theme
  • December-January: This will probably be your Code of the Elves theme

You make good predictions. Pretty much spot on. I haven't actually decided on August-September theme. Back to School is promising though.

8 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

Oh sucky. I didn't realize Bleach was that intense on game time. I think I'll finish up Ratchet and Clank this week. We can arrange a game trade or even I'd risk loaning it out if you are interested in swapping it into your list. It would fit your category and its supposed to be 20ish hours. You could always find a way to make Bleach work in another contest where you have more time for it.

Well trading isn't an option as we live to far away. But don't worry i have enough games eligible for this contest to do them besides Bleach :)  i already started Hatoful Boyfriend, after that i'll start Journey and i looked at a review to see that Broken Sword 5 fits for this event too... so that means 3 easy games i'll play on Vita or PS4 to have enough time for Bleach :D

Besides that i wanna get the Bleach Plat as next as it will be my Number 175 ;) 

@ladynadiad well that makes sense. I picked up PS+ a few days after buying a PS3 and have been buying several games digitially for PS3, PS4 and Vita too... mostly because they're cheap on sale and easy to get :) and since i am jumping back and forth i don't want to change the disc every time i switch a game on ps3 for example :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

Sorry I've been so quiet, but here's a progress update, ~three weeks in:

• Never Alone - 29% (-)
  • The Walking Dead: Season 2 - 100% (up from 72%)
  • Night in the Woods - 53% (-)
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm - 100% (up from 0%)
  • (Bonus) Persona 5 - 27% (up from 26%)

I didn't rate Season 2 of the Walking Dead very highly; it's hard to care about the characters when they're constantly making plot-mandated bad decisions, and deaths lose their impact when the rest of the cast hardly seem to notice or give a damn.  For modern Telltale games, I'd take Season 1, Wolf Among Us or Tales from the Borderlands over this in a heartbeat, but at least I enjoyed it more than Game of Thrones.

This week I had some extra time so plunged into Life is Strange: Before the Storm.  I definitely had some reservations going in - loved the original game, so a prequel made by a different studio with different voice actors didn't fill me with confidence - but it turned out much better than it might've been, and I think they did a good job capturing the tone and style of the original.  The third episode was the weakest, with some scenes they didn't seem to have the time or the budget to really make work, but overall I'm very glad that I played this.

This weekend I'll focus on either Never Alone or Night in the Woods, not sure which.  I'm struggling to get some momentum going with Persona 5, which is what happens when you abandon games 40+ hours in...

Edited by Fitzquaid

9 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

You make good predictions. Pretty much spot on. I haven't actually decided on August-September theme. Back to School is promising though.

September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, so that could be incorporated in the theme.  We had an event for it a few years ago: International Talk Like a Pirate Day

• Like 1

FRIDAY UPDATE:

TLDR: Finished Uncharted 4. Poked at No Man's Sky and Mafia 3. Focusing on Ratchet and Clank. 

Like @Fitzquaid said, it's hard to get momentum on a game when you've abandoned it in the middle. I struggled to get going on Uncharted 4 because I left off about 2/3 of the way on the playthrough on crushing. So not only was I not fresh, I was coming in to the hardest part of the game on the hardest difficulty. I muddled through it, but the fight on the boats in Chapter 20 was almost too much. I feel like I just happened to get lucky when I made it through. It felt shorter somehow, as if some guys didn't spawn that normally do. Maybe I just got a grenade in the right place and took out a few in a cluster or something. After that, I had to speedrun it in six hours or less (felt like plenty of time) and needed 70% accuracy for an entire playthrough for the Marksman trophy. At the end of the speed run, I didn't pop Marksman. I was pretty dejected thinking I needed an additional entire playthrough. However, when I reloaded a save late in the game I was at 69% accuracy. I was able to bump it to 71% by being very careful with my aim and finished the game again and popped the trophy. After that, cleaning up the misc trophies was actually very fun. None of them took more than 10 minutes or so of trying.  

Last weekend, I put a few hours into No Man's Sky. It's still pretty early on, but I'm not really enjoying it so far. Maybe it will get better. But I think it's just a game that I won't be into. I got rich early on though because my starting planet has tons of one of the most valuable minerals on it. So I'm barely into the game and almost have the gold trophy for money. I also started the second playthrough of Mafia 3. The last couple of nights, I picked up Ratchet and Clank again. I decided I'd focus on that one and get it done. Hoping to wrap it up by the end of the weekend. 

• Like 1

I was slow to get into it and it felt too difficult at first. But as I started to figure it out and get momentum, I ended up really liking it. Its kind of like a toned down GTA and the 60s pseudo New Orleans setting and soundtrack is so good. I think its an excellent game and recommend it. I don't know if Gamestop does this in other countries but tomorrow around here its "PRO DAY" and Mafia 3 will be $15 in the sale. 

Okay here's my Friday Update that I've actually given you on a Friday this time :dance:!

Skyrim - :platinum: 

LEGO City Undercover - 1000G (DONE)

Yooka-Laylee - 1000G (DONE)

Kingdom Hearts - Starting Tomorrow!

I actually really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee which I'm surprised about as I normally would have never picked this up but I got it free with my XB1 at Christmas and then this event came up and I thought that I'd take a look at it. But to my surprise, it's actually a great little family game that has a great story and plenty of decent challenges and I thoroughly enjoyed playing every minute of this! I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone who's looking for a quick and easy 1000G or Platinum and also to someone who is looking for a graphically beautiful game (seriously, I took wayyyy to many screenshots while playing) and a good back-story / collect-a-thon :D.

• Like 3

Friday update:

I started Journey finally! Got one trophy. Not sure I understand the game and I might even be stuck in one part. So I have been distracting myself with RiME.

Uncharted Lost Legacy is at 60%.

Good thing is I am closing in on a job but most likely won’t start it until March, so the goal is to use all of my free time in February to 100% Journey and Uncharted Lost Legacy.

That would leave my other games for March.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Friday update:

I started Journey finally! Got one trophy. Not sure I understand the game and I might even be stuck in one part. So I have been distracting myself with RiME.

Uncharted Lost Legacy is at 60%.

Good thing is I am closing in on a job but most likely won’t start it until March, so the goal is to use all of my free time in February to 100% Journey and Uncharted Lost Legacy.

That would leave my other games for March.

Journey is a game that relies heavily on symbolism. What the story is and what you get out of it is largely reliant on how much analysis you do. Mechanically, none of the areas are huge and you won't be stuck for long. If you are stuck, just try chiming at things that look unusual. Early on, it's things like ribbons that float upwards or flap in the wind that you want to interact with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

I actually really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee which I'm surprised about as I normally would have never picked this up but I got it free with my XB1 at Christmas and then this event came up and I thought that I'd take a look at it. But to my surprise, it's actually a great little family game that has a great story and plenty of decent challenges and I thoroughly enjoyed playing every minute of this! I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone who's looking for a quick and easy 1000G or Platinum and also to someone who is looking for a graphically beautiful game (seriously, I took wayyyy to many screenshots while playing) and a good back-story / collect-a-thon :D.

Good stuff Rizz. Did you finish within the 25 hours estimated? Just curious as I need to get back to this one yet too. :dunno:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

Journey is a game that relies heavily on symbolism. What the story is and what you get out of it is largely reliant on how much analysis you do. Mechanically, none of the areas are huge and you won't be stuck for long. If you are stuck, just try chiming at things that look unusual. Early on, it's things like ribbons that float upwards or flap in the wind that you want to interact with. 

Yeah I am at a part where I am in a deep valley and there are ribbons that are supposed to lift me to flying carpets that are going over a wall, but I am not getting lifted high enough. I think there is something I am missing but not sure what

So Walking Dead is done and I have started Life is Strange. 

The big problem is in Persona 5 L1 lets you investigate with your 3rd Eye and in Life is Strange it keeps telling you to find things so by instinct (because I have been playing Persona for 3 weeks) i keep pressing L1...and that rewinds time :P

• Like 1