Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

Ban any account for an offensive name shows how terrible service Sony provides. Force name changes, if the person still decides to go with offensive (another whole discussion what is and what is not offensive, but that's not the point here) then ban them.

This move only shows how incapable Sony is implementing account name change. I don't really care how complicated or difficult it is for them. First of all, it was dumb not to have this option from the very beginning, and they are big enough company to make these changes.

1 minute ago, TheLakota said:

I'm not arguing with you about anything; rather, I'm just pointing out that this is the Internet, a place where you can't take everything at face value. What I mean to say is, we don't nor will we ever know the full story.

Backing out of this before it devolves any further, but I'll leave those remaining with this:

carlins-quotes-10-728.jpg?cb=1217915426

That's true  he never stated why Sony refused to unbanned him. i guess we will never know the full story  

Just now, theSpirae said:

Ban any account for an offensive name shows how terrible service Sony provides. Force name changes, if the person still decides to go with offensive (another whole discussion what is and what is not offensive, but that's not the point here) then ban them.

This move only shows how incapable Sony is implementing account name change. I don't really care how complicated or difficult it is for them. First of all, it was dumb not to have this option from the very beginning, and they are big enough company to make these changes.

That's because they don't give a shit about customers. They just want your money and are total assholes about everything. 

• Like 1

Everybody knows what madafaka means. Just because it doesn't say motherfucker specifically doesn't stop it being offensive to some people. The guy making it knew exactly what he was doing at the time otherwise he wouldn't have made it. Whether we think it should be banned or not Sony are perfectly within their rights to do so. Personally I think they should have changed it for him. It's been done before. Doesn't make a lot of business sense to lose this guy as a customer over something they can fix but hey it's playstation, going on how much people here seem to want to change their IDs they could basically print money by just implementing name changes but they won't do it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlphaTrash said:

Disgusting behaviour by sony. 

Shouldve been a forced name change. 

Anyone defending these actions is sketchy at best in my opinion, I think they're only defending such gross misconduct because they're fanboys. 

Yeah a lot of people who replied to this thread who I thought were cool saying he should be punished, killed, castrated, etc. Because he named his account Madafaka. Lmao. Ignore list got bigger lol ;)

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up

3 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

I'm flattered, thank you. No sarcasm, that is a genuine statement.

I love that we live in an age of negative branding. Where if my opinion doesn't match your opinion or the opinion of the masses I am given a scarlet letter. Or called a SJW. Thanks for making me chuckle.

You know what? You are entitled to that opinion. However, I am not going to label you though. Because I respect your right to that opinion. Do you see what I did there?

I have my opinion, which I stated, and I stand by it. I can't see making that gamer tag that and crying it got banned. Whomever that was needs to own their mistake and learn from it.

Too many people nowadays redirect blame, it's always someone else's fault. Sony is wrong for enforcing their ToS or allowing him to make that name. That's deflective bullcrap. What about the person who made the name to begin with?

So yeah, not coming to that pity party but that doesn't mean I don't hope the rest of you have a great time. Have fun!1f606.png

TLDR

Hope that didnt take you too long to type and proofread lol. 

Edit: Ok I lied. I did read it, but just the emoji at the end ;)

9 minutes ago, Arin1979 said:

The solution:

Mother Foca

Foca means Seal (the animal) in Spanish. Mother Seal xD

• Like 1

Everything aside, the guy was 12 when he made his account. To ban him now is ridiculous. If this were on Xbox it would literally take a few minutes to change the name and everyone would be happy.

Sony needs to get their shit together with Account Name change. This is just bad customer service at this point.

• Like 1

If he complains to Sony long enough. He can actually get "his account" back. The reason why I put it in quotation marks is because apparently Sony can't change usernames but they can create a new account with a different name of course and transfer the games he has bought over to it. Meaning he won't lose his games, but he would lose everything else like trophies and his friend list. Though some people have reported to have been able to keep their trophies while others got their trophies back spontaneously months after the process.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, TheVader66 said:

If he complains to Sony long enough. He can actually get "his account" back. The reason why I put it in quotation marks is because apparently Sony can't change usernames but they can create a new account with a different name of course and transfer the games he has bought over to it. Meaning he won't lose his games, but he would lose everything else like trophies and his friend list. Though some people have reported to have been able to keep their trophies while others got their trophies back spontaneously months after the process.

Most people on PSN probably couldn’t care less about trophies. But the people who do care, like myself, that’s enough for them to quit gaming for months, if not years if they haven’t switched to Steam or Xbox One. 

Still, we really don’t know much of anything about this guy other than he no longer has his account. What he spent on his account is private. I’m fine with that. 

Eight years is far too long for an action like this to be acceptable. Times change, kids grow up into adults and get jobs. I know I changed a lot from 12 years old to 20. 

This is the same as me getting punished for something I did as a kid, but action wasn’t taken until many years later. He probably felt nothing bad was going to happen and I don’t blame him at all in thinking that way.

We don’t know the full story. I’m just upset that this crap was pulled when Sony has more important things they could be doing.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Most people on PSN probably couldn’t care less about trophies. But the people who do care, like myself, that’s enough for them to quit gaming for months, if not years if they haven’t switched to Steam or Xbox One. 

Still, we really don’t know much of anything about this guy other than he no longer has his account. What he spent on his account is private. I’m fine with that. 

Eight years is far too long for an action like this to be acceptable. Times change, kids grow up into adults and get jobs. I know I changed a lot from 12 years old to 20. 

This is the same as me getting punished for something I did as a kid, but action wasn’t taken until many years later. He probably felt nothing bad was going to happen and I don’t blame him at all in thinking that way.

We don’t know the full story. I’m just upset that this crap was pulled when Sony has more important things they could be doing.

I agree since he was 12, yes his username is pretty stupid but he was 12 years old when he made it. Most 12 year boys that I knew where either nerdy, sports fans, douches or edgy people. There have been decisions I have made when I was younger that I horribly regret making now that I am an adult. 

Thank god, that I played Runescape before making a PSN Account back when I was twelve because my original choices in making a Runescape username was "DarthVader66" and "DarkVader66" but they were already taken and then I came up with an edgy name (Not on purpose but to try to come closest to the name DarthVader) which was "DeathVader66" which was luckily taken as well and I was stuck with "TheVader66". If I actually succeeds in getting "DeathVader66" in Runescape, I can guarantee I would chosen it as my username for PSN Account as well since at the time I couldn't come up with a PSN username so I decided to go with my Runescape Username. Thank you Runescape for granting me the name "TheVader66"

1 minute ago, TheVader66 said:

I agree since he was 12, yes his username is pretty stupid but he was 12 years old when he made it. Most 12 year boys that I knew where either nerdy, sports fans, douches or edgy people. There have been decisions I have made when I was younger that I horribly regret making now that I am an adult. 

Thank god, that I played Runescape before making a PSN Account back when I was twelve because my original choices in making a Runescape username was "DarthVader66" and "DarkVader66" but they were already taken and then I came up with an edgy name (Not on purpose but to try to come closest to the name DarthVader) which was "DeathVader66" which was luckily taken as well and I was stuck with "TheVader66". If I actually succeeds in getting "DeathVader66" in Runescape, I can guarantee I would chosen it as my username for PSN Account as well since at the time I couldn't come up with a PSN username so I decided to go with my Runescape Username. Thank you Runescape for granting me the name "TheVader66"

You played Runescape. Nice to see someone else on here who played it.

I used to play a lot back in 2008 - 2011 but quit after Jagex kept forcing players to play Squeal of Fortune, which was a way to implement microtransactions into a MMO. Came back in 2013, played Old School Runescape for a couple years, quit in 2015 from boredom.

Really irritates me how nowadays everyone is vying to go for 99s in skills, get this Completionist Cape, kill these bosses in God Wars Dungeon, etc etc. What the hell happened to just playing for fun? Runescape was the shit back in the mid 2000s.

How I look at trophy hunting is very much the same I looked at skills in Runescape.

------

I'm in the same boat. I made some pretty stupid decisions at 12 years old but I didn't really know any better. Now at 29 years of age I know a lot more.

People are too overly sensitive especially when it comes to names. We live in an overly PC culture so that doesn't really surprise me.

So if my real name was Gaylord Focker and I used that as my PSN nickname too it would be perfectly ok to ban my account?

Sony should really rethink their policies. Not giving a warning beforehand, or even bothering to state the reason for the ban in the email and not offering a name change is totally substandard customer service.

24 minutes ago, Spaz said:

You played Runescape. Nice to see someone else on here who played it.

I used to play a lot back in 2008 - 2011 but quit after Jagex kept forcing players to play Squeal of Fortune, which was a way to implement microtransactions into a MMO. Came back in 2013, played Old School Runescape for a couple years, quit in 2015 from boredom.

Really irritates me how nowadays everyone is vying to go for 99s in skills, get this Completionist Cape, kill these bosses in God Wars Dungeon, etc etc. What the hell happened to just playing for fun? Runescape was the shit back in the mid 2000s.

How I look at trophy hunting is very much the same I looked at skills in Runescape.

Hey that is around the same time I stopped playing as well. Well sort of, I stopped playing when the God of Balance, Guthix got killed and the Gods nuked Lumbridge into Kingdom Come. I still login time to time but the UI is still awful since they introduced Runescape 3, it has too much stuff and they keep introducing new skills. I loved playing Runscape 2 especially Pest Control and Fist of the Guthix they were amazing, I am glad to have played it when they were a lot of people playing Runescape because it was amazing. I am actually interested in how they are going to do Old Runescape on Mobile Phones since they are working on that. Also, I actually treat Trophy Hunting the same way as Grinding skills in Runescape. 

24 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm in the same boat. I made some pretty stupid decisions at 12 years old but I didn't really know any better. Now at 29 years of age I know a lot more.

People are too overly sensitive especially when it comes to names. We live in an overly PC culture so that doesn't really surprise me.

I agree with that. It is fine to punish people when they are being racist, bigot and sexist basically when they are talking shit but banning people because of the names is stupid. Just change their names to something like I heard someone got their name changed from no_fux to oh_shux_206

Edited by TheVader66

Banning someone because of an “offensive” username they made 8 years ago? The hell. It would make sense if they banned him almost right after he made it, no loses. But it took them 8 years? Imagine all the games and money he just lost. Thats extremely unfair and this is why they should let people have the option to change their username in cases like this.

This is a shitty move from sony.

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

So if my real name was Gaylord Focker and I used that as my PSN nickname too it would be perfectly ok to ban my account?

Sony should really rethink their policies. Not giving a warning beforehand, or even bothering to state the reason for the ban in the email and not offering a name change is totally substandard customer service.

Lol this is what is so funny to begin with, they dont even bother to tell you why you are banned.

Now imagine this:

Police come to your house (and they dont "accidentally" shoot you this time lol)

You: What's going on?

Police: You are under arrest!

You: Why?

Police: xD

You: Wtf?

Police: Lol pwned

Flash forward weeks/months later

Jury: We the jury find the defendant guilty!

You: of WHAT?

Jury: lolz

Judge: I sentence the defendant to...play My Name is Mayo

You: ...NOOOOOOOOO WHYYYYYY

Judge: lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some of the people in this thread from PSNP in the audience: HE DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED MAKE HIM PLAY MR. MASSAGY AFTER MAYO BWAHAHA

16 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Yup, Sony let him make and use the name, until he went to play publicly with it and then as soon as someone said they were offended by the annunciation of his nickname, King Mother Fucker, Sony reviewed and took action.

Sony defines "the line" (underlined below) in the ToS: You may not take any action, or upload, post, stream, or transmit any content, language, images or sounds in any forum, communication, public profile, or other publicly viewable areas or in the creation of any Online ID that SIE LLC, SIEA or its affiliates find, in their sole discretion, offensive, hateful, or vulgar.

Everything is offensive to someone somehow.  That seems like a bullshit cop-out.  I mean your name suggests that Daiv Rules, and I think that is offensive because I disagree.  Should that be a banable offense?

If he was given the option to transfer all his trophies and games to a new username, then I am still unhappy about the stupid things that people get offended by, but at least nothing is really lost.  If he loses all his games and time because of this, that is way over the line.  I mean lets face it, MadaFaka is no worse or different than F***.  What if his name was MadaFa*a?  Would that be obscured just enough to no longer be considered 'offensive'.  If you are going to take away someones time and money, you need to have a much better definition that "Anything and everything we want".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

Everything is offensive to someone somehow.  That seems like a bullshit cop-out.  I mean your name suggests that Daiv Rules, and I think that is offensive because I disagree.  Should that be a banable offense?

If he was given the option to transfer all his trophies and games to a new username, then I am still unhappy about the stupid things that people get offended by, but at least nothing is really lost.  If he loses all his games and time because of this, that is way over the line.  I mean lets face it, MadaFaka is no worse or different than F***.  What if his name was MadaFa*a?  Would that be obscured just enough to no longer be considered 'offensive'.  If you are going to take away someones time and money, you need to have a much better definition that "Anything and everything we want".

You're right on a lot of this, but as you know, nothing is going to change.

Sony will still allow anyone to make any PSN name someone wants.

Sony will still not take any action until someone reports the name as offensive.

Sony will still use their undefined guidelines about what they find as offensive and take action.

Now, every single case I've heard of this happening, the account holders were contacted and told to create a new account and their licenses would be transferred and their old account would be banned. Nothing lost. Why is this guy special? What makes this case different?

It's too bad most of these cases seem to be for people with names that no broadcaster in the world airs from 6 am to 10 pm. (see here for USA specific situation.) I'd love for these people, who were actually affected, to band together and move the needle on Digital First Sale Doctrine. To finally establish some actual rights for people living in what is increasingly becoming the digital age.

Alas, I don't believe someone who:

• created an account intended to be pronounced King Mother Fucker 
  • who said they did so at 12 years old, 8 years ago in 2010
  • who had no trophies until Christmas afternoon, in 2014
  • who said Sony banned with no alternatives
  • who didn't ask for even a Supervisor or escalate the issue at all in their explanation

to think about anyone other than themselves.

• Like 3

To be honest, if I ever made an account called KINGMADAFAKA, I wouldn't be thinking that somewhere out there in the world there are scared little people who get offended by such a name. It absolutely baffles me that this name is seen as offensive. I've seen someone called 'supmykneegrows' and laughed pretty hard when I read it aloud and he got me. Offending here and offending there. I think we should stop treating people like they are babies. 

18 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

It is a bit harsh in that they clearly were alright with it for 8 years. I think they should have either not let that name in the first place or allowed the user to change their user name.

This reminds me of pokemon and Neopets. Back in my days of Blue and silver version, you could name your Pokemon all sorts of offensive names which my brother really took advantage off. These days, even normal names are banned, like the name Violet which is one of my favourite names but the newer Pokemon games seem to think it's an offensive word. Censorship is also skyrocketing these days compared to older games and even movies. Neopets was the same back in the early 2000s, account freezing for even writing the word stupid

I like to play it safe and usually just use my name, as I think naming a silly or offensive name might make one regret it later, especially with the amount of effort that goes into trophy hunting.

Hope my account isn't next on the chopping block ?

• Like 1

You guys say that it’s Sony fault because it took 8 years to ban that account, you’re worried about their digital games?! Did he think about that?

Sure, he made that mistake while he was 12, but 8 years have passed and he could create a new account with a different name. I don’t know, I think people grow up... Didn’t he ever think, in 8 years, that his nickname could bring him some troubles later?

at least he could stay away from online games - nobody would report him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

I was talking about this very thing to my wife last night, and she said this. Really, what is the difference?

Sony has trailers for games (which seem to be available to all viewers) with numerous curse words. Some of the streamers that Sony advertises curse in their streams.

It's not so much the standard of "offensive", but rather the fact that Sony seems to have no standard for "offensive" (a problem which plagues the US right now). Offensive just means whatever happens to be offensive at a particular moment, to a particular person, assuming that this person is complaining particularly. 

Honestly, I think it might be prudent to bring back the 7 words you can't say on television again.

11 minutes ago, TurtlePM said:

Sure, he made that mistake while he was 12, but 8 years have passed and he could create a new account with a different name. I don’t know, I think people grow up... Didn’t he ever think, in 8 years, that his nickname could bring him some troubles later?

I don't know. Is MadaFaka offensive? It sounds no more offensive than, say, Meet the Fockers, which was a wide release movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

I was talking about this very thing to my wife last night, and she said this. Really, what is the difference?

Sony has trailers for games (which seem to be available to all viewers) with numerous curse words. Some of the streamers that Sony advertises curse in their streams.

It's not so much the standard of "offensive", but rather the fact that Sony seems to have no standard for "offensive" (a problem which plagues the US right now). Offensive just means whatever happens to be offensive at a particular moment, to a particular person, assuming that this person is complaining particularly. 

Honestly, I think it might be prudent to bring back the 7 words you can't say on television again.

While this may be for another conversation all together, but why are these words such a problem?  You cannot say FUCK in a username, but you can say 360NoScope, or BrutalMurderer.  Why is it we are so afraid of a bad word, but are seemingly perfectly fine with violence, or the idea behind it?  I have the same opinion towards nudity.  How in the world could that be deemed worse than shooting someone?

• Like 1