Sony Bans PSN Account Due to Username Violation 8 Years After It Was Created.

Leaderboards

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

They're all in their 20s, it varies, anywhere from 23-28.  Some are recent college grads, the oldest I know just turned 28 in October.  These are good people, they just live their lives terrified of what society thinks.

That is fear mongering. CNN, Fox News and MSNBC do it all the time. I know a couple older people who have been so brainwashed by Fox News and the like that they are afraid to touch their thermostats at home, let alone say an opinion on politics out in person. 

It’s one of the reasons why I respect old comedians like George Carlin, Robin Williams, Gallagher, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Sam Kinison, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, etc etc etc etc. They weren’t afraid to speak their minds and get their hands dirty. They were some of the best sources for how society was, and I wish more talented comedians will take the stage and be anti politically correct. 

Today’s generation is full of pussies who can’t take a fucking joke anymore. Maybe that’s why most of the popular shows and movies these days are the paranormal, apocalypse, and melodramas that make the soap operas of old look good in comparison. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SolarCat02 said:

Then there is the difference across languages that has been addressed here. 

Then there are cultural differences about what is and is not offensive. For example, some places people are offended by things that others use as nicknames. I remember my Spanish teacher telling us how she doesn't understand why Americans get offended by being called "Fatso" when in Cuba people would introduce themselves proudly as "Gordo." 

This is definitely a problem! Spunk for example

spunk
noun
informal
  1. 1.
    courage and determination.
    "she's got no spunk, or she'd have left him long ago"
    synonyms: courage, bravery, pluck, pluckiness, courageousness, braveness, valour, mettle, gameness, daring;

You ask anybody in the UK what spunk means you'd get a very different answer...

51 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That is fear mongering. CNN, Fox News and MSNBC do it all the time. I know a couple older people who have been so brainwashed by Fox News and the like that they are afraid to touch their thermostats at home, let alone say an opinion on politics out in person. 

It’s one of the reasons why I respect old comedians like George Carlin, Robin Williams, Gallagher, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Sam Kinison, Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, etc etc etc etc. They weren’t afraid to speak their minds and get their hands dirty. They were some of the best sources for how society was, and I wish more talented comedians will take the stage and be anti politically correct. 

Today’s generation is full of pussies who can’t take a fucking joke anymore. Maybe that’s why most of the popular shows and movies these days are the paranormal, apocalypse, and melodramas that make the soap operas of old look good in comparison. 

And....Monty Python? :)

15 hours ago, Gengarbey said:

Dont you think bad words are offensive? Or aren't distracting at least? 1f612.png

No, I don't. Words are just that, words. They have no inherent power over us and only hold a facade of power (if you will) when we assign it to them.

Look at Carlin's 7 dirty words: a funny bit to be sure, but the biting social commentary holds merit to this day. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

Today I saw an account named "phuq-u-i-win" or something along those lines to bypass the censors. 

And in cases like this, intent would be important. The intent is obvious in your example, but it isn't always going to be so cut and dried. 

One of my friends in High School was named Phuq, pronounced "Foo". He was Vietnamese. Using his own name in a tag would potentially draw some attention through no fault of his own. 

16 hours ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Honestly if censorship is so important Sony should use the word censorship system that they have from their communities. Almost every bad dirty naughty words are censored. Even once that dont make sense.

I posted a while ago in a community about older ps1 getting Crash N. Sane "treatment" and turns out it's a censored word. Even in this thread there are names that have letter combinations like "tit" in them and that would get censored according to ToS.

I think my username is safe for at least 10 years until "robot" becomes a slur that offends our AI brethren.

Edited by mecharobot

1 hour ago, mecharobot said:

I posted a while ago in a community about older ps1 getting Crash N. Sane "treatment" and turns out it's a censored word. Even in this thread there are names that have letter combinations like "tit" in them and that would get censored according to ToS.

I think my username is safe for at least 10 years until "robot" becomes a slur that offends our AI brethren.

What word are you talking about? Anyway if you have "tit" in words like "Titan" nobody's getting banned. I still remember when another site censored the word "sh*t" in Japanese words like "Misshitsu" (it's part of the name of a PSP game), but that was a bad censorship filter which was eventually lifted.

39 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

What word are you talking about? Anyway if you have "tit" in words like "Titan" nobody's getting banned. I still remember when another site censored the word "sh*t" in Japanese words like "Misshitsu" (it's part of the name of a PSP game), but that was a bad censorship filter which was eventually lifted.

The word "treatment" is censored because it contains "eat me", but I'm sure everyone already knows about the dysfunctional filters so I'm not going to rant about them. As for the second part, I was answering to the idea of Sony's post censoring applied to usernames, in which case I would say it is highly likely that usernames like "titan" and "assassin" would get caught by the system. They would keep their accounts but the offensive parts would not show in their usernames.

Edited by mecharobot

12 hours ago, BG_painter said:

@Matto_lsi @TurtlePM
Fun fact: Kona is not a curse word in brazilian portuguese! :)
If Sony decides to forbid all curse words of all languages we might run short of words!! LOL

U sir,
0mKXcg1.gif

I think it’s the country itself that askes to change the name, not wordwide, but in that particular country.

for exemple, you might know it as Kona, but it’s Portugal it’s called by the name of the country/island (Philadelphia? Can’t recall)

so you are a car seller and you want to sell a Kona to someone: he only thinks that you are a pervert that wants to sell him a vagina :o

”you, good sir, need to drive this Kona, so deeply”... hmmm

Edited by TurtlePM

9 hours ago, mecharobot said:

That is just ridiculous.

Pretty soon people with the name "God" in their username may have others highly offended by it. Because you know, God.

This thread was sick. I think I got 100 likes from this thing (epeen increase HOOOOOOOOOOOO) I made new friends...and new enemies. Hopefully I didn't give Mango a heart attack >:)

I even got a mod from the dispute team to call people dumbasses LMAO!

Muahahaha PSNP drama.

Also everyone who replied and agreed/disagreed with me got showered with likes as well. That's trickle down PSNP economics ;)

Anyways, let's end the "argument" here: Hopefully nobody gets their account banned because of a funny/goofy name.

But a truly violent/hateful (open to interpretation) name, should reap what they sow ?

/slams judge's gavel

/thread closed

(not really, just felt like saying this lol)

Edited by It Is Time To Oil Up
  • Like 1

If I had seen some username like KingMadaFaka or phuq-u-i-win (got to admit, I giggled at that one reading it in DARKB1KE's post), I wouldn't be the one to report it. Especially not after the shit storm that KMF himself went through.  It's not like it's my problem anyway. 

Now if someone's name is truly violent or hateful, I agree something needs done quickly. They should be forced to change it, or get banned if they refuse.

Should someone be banned from PSN, let them continue to shop the PSN store, keep playing what they have bought, get updates, & log in to use PS+ games. However, don't allow them to use features which would reveal their username or online presence to others, like online multiplayer, messaging, profile sharing, & leaderboards.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 8:34 PM, It Is Time To Oil Up said:

I got 100 likes from this thing (epeen increase HOOOOOOOOOOOO)

Also everyone who replied and agreed/disagreed with me got showered with likes as well.

Except they’re not likes. They’re Up Arrows. Also called Community Reputation. Totally different thing. ;)

12 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

If I had seen some username like KingMadaFaka or phuq-u-i-win (got to admit, I giggled at that one reading it in DARKB1KE's post), I wouldn't be the one to report it. Especially not after the shit storm that KMF himself went through.  It's not like it's my problem anyway. 

Now if someone's name is truly violent or hateful, I agree something needs done quickly. They should be forced to change it, or get banned if they refuse.

Should someone be banned from PSN, let them continue to shop the PSN store, keep playing what they have bought, get updates, & log in to use PS+ games. However, don't allow them to use features which would reveal their username or online presence to others, like online multiplayer, messaging, profile sharing, & leaderboards.

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, everything seems to be taken too seriously nowadays. I do believe though there should be some sort of middle ground, especially if the person had made any purchases on the account. As mentioned by gameoverDude189 - If the Online ID is promoting something hateful/violent I can understand why Sony may resort to the strictest punishment but with a username as such as the one in discussion, I do think that is taking it a bit too far. Also, in order to use online functions it's a prerequisite that the user must be 18 or over and I think it's safe to say that profanity is hardly the worst thing imaginable for anybody of that age group and above. And although we all know that's far from the case in reality, with how simple it is to falsify information when creating an account... The blame for that however should also sit with Sony, but that's a whole different topic for discussion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Distorted-Soulja said:

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, everything seems to be taken too seriously nowadays.

I actually doubt that's the problem. My guess is that someone is just trolling. They couldn't care less about the profanity - they just want to cause problems. We have a lot of that type in the gamer community.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I actually doubt that's the problem. My guess is that someone is just trolling. They couldn't care less about the profanity - they just want to cause problems. We have a lot of that type in the gamer community.

That’s true in many ways and I have seen this plenty of times while playing online games. 

Hopefully this will be allowed for me to say. 

If someones name was racial fueled, such as ‘MexicanHater’ or ‘ColoredMan’, then action should definitely be taken. Both names imply that someone is perhaps racist. Or names that are sexually explicit. 

Saying mother fucker has been passed around billions of times in our society. Most adults couldn’t give a rats ass how many times it’s mentioned on the internet. Out in public, yes, mother fucker is generally seen as offensive. 

You can’t use mother fucker as part of a name anyway. But likely someone probably reported the name to troll KingMADAFAKA while he was playing an online game. Then someone at Sony got all sensitive about it and banned the account. 

Edited by Spaz

• 4 weeks later...