Is the Switch the new 3DS or Wii?

Lava_Yuki

I know this sounds like a silly question but since the Switch seems to sit between the portable and home console genre, and with the 3DS still selling on the market, is the Switch replacing the 3DS or the Wii?

I own a 3DS XL at the moment. If I were to say sell and “upgrade it”, I’m guessing that would be to the Switch instead of expecting a new DS console? 

What does everyone think?

Also how are you finding the Switch and is selling my 3DS to get it worth doing? 

ive never used a Nintendo home console, just their handhelds as Ive been pretty much a Sony person since the ps1 and currently game mostly in my PS4 and Vita.

I think they specifically said at one point in the Switch's R&D that it was intended to coexist with the 3DS.

That being said, with the way the Switch has gained so much popularity and momentum since it launched, and the obvious fact that it's a handheld itself... I could see their tune changing.  Seems like a much stronger business plan to have one console that does everything versus potentially competing with themselves.

• Like 2

Considering that Pokemon will be on the Switch (and not 3DS), I feel like it is replacing it.

Though I think it is technically supposed to be replacing the Wii U. The 3DS is to coexist with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case atm with no 1st party 3DS games in development.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I know this sounds like a silly question but since the Switch seems to sit between the portable and home console genre, and with the 3DS still selling on the market, is the Switch replacing the 3DS or the Wii?

I own a 3DS XL at the moment. If I were to say sell and “upgrade it”, I’m guessing that would be to the Switch instead of expecting a new DS console? 

What does everyone think?

Also how are you finding the Switch and is selling my 3DS to get it worth doing? 

ive never used a Nintendo home console, just their handhelds as Ive been pretty much a Sony person since the ps1 and currently game mostly in my PS4 and Vita.

Unless you don't care about ever replaying any of your 3ds games, feel free to sell it. 

• Like 1

It's replaced the Wii U. The 3DS still has a huge market in the form of children, and it's going to be a while before that changes. As a parent myself, I would never buy a Switch for my almost 7 year old. I just know he would immediately break it and it would be $300 down the drain. The 3DS is way more durable, way harder to break, and way cheaper if he can somehow manage it, so it's perfect. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unless you don't care about ever replaying any of your 3ds games, feel free to sell it. 

I haven't touched my 3DS is over a year so will sell it I think. I had it mainly for the Pokemon games but gave them up after ORAS as Sun/moon and beyond lost my interest altogether in the Pokemon games, mostly because it's become too complex and all over the place.

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The new Nintendo President has said they are investigating a 3DS successor separate from the Switch. The Switch is special since it sort of replaces BOTH the Wii U and 3DS, but it's also a little too large and expensive to be a "standard" 3DS replacement. So there is value in Nintendo making a different 3DS successor, perhaps as a handheld-only Switch with a smaller screen and non-detachable Joy-cons. Only time will tell. In the meantime, the Switch is starting to get the types of games that were only on 3DS in the past.

I've had a Switch since launch, and it's a nice system, but I don't see it as a straight replacement for the 3DS and Vita. The only new 3DS games that have been announced are ports IIRC. There may be a few more dual releases with Switch though, like Sushi Striker.

Personally I'm keeping my 3DS for the library of games that will likely never come to Switch (many of which are still on my backlog), but if you've already played everything you care about, you might as well trade in or sell your 3DS.

I don't have a 3DS blacklog. My main Nintendo favourites were the Harvest moon games, rune factory, the KH spin offs which are all on PS4 anyway and Pokemon. The 3DS doesn't seem to be getting any new releases as everything seem to be either the Switch or PS4/ Xbox. 

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Considering the next mainline Pokemon game is coming in 2019 for the Switch(Not the Let's Go! stuff), I think the 3DS is on it's way out. Pretty sure when Pokemon jumps ship the handheld dies.

Looks like it. I think Pokemon was a big game for the DS's and the only reason I played Nintendo handhelds growing up. No new notable 3DS releases with all the focus being on the Switch these days seems like it's going to end up like the Vita.

3 hours ago, A-Brawl3r said:

it replaced the Wii U and seems to be slowly replacing the 3DS as well, based on Nintendo not announcing any new projects for the 3DS handhelds at E3

I think Nintendo were more successful with their handhelds in general compared to their home consoles, with the Wii being overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft, but the GBA and DS series winning over the psp and vita. The combination was an interesting one, but I can somewhat see the approaching death of the Wii and 3DS since all the new releases seem to be on the Switch. 

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I haven't touched my 3DS is over a year so will sell it I think. I had it mainly for the Pokemon games but gave them up after ORAS as Sun/moon and beyond lost my interest altogether in the Pokemon games, mostly because it's become too complex and all over the place.

I don't have a 3DS blacklog. My main Nintendo favourites were the Harvest moon games, rune factory, the KH spin offs which are all on PS4 anyway and Pokemon. The 3DS doesn't seem to be getting any new releases as everything seem to be either the Switch or PS4/ Xbox. 

Looks like it. I think Pokemon was a big game for the DS's and the only reason I played Nintendo handhelds growing up. No new notable 3DS releases with all the focus being on the Switch these days seems like it's going to end up like the Vita.

I think Nintendo were more successful with their handhelds in general compared to their home consoles, with the Wii being overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft, but the GBA and DS series winning over the psp and vita. The combination was an interesting one, but I can somewhat see the approaching death of the Wii and 3DS since all the new releases seem to be on the Switch. 

The Wii was the best selling console of that generation. It is also the 3rd highest of all time behind the ps2 and original ds.

12 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

The Wii was the best selling console of that generation. It is also the 3rd highest of all time behind the ps2 and original ds.

And Wii Sports was the only game 90% of the people who bought the thing played on it. That casual market. ?

It had a large install base, sure, but it doesn't mean a whole lot if nobody's buying games for it. The Wii was "dead" long before the PS3 or Xbox 360.

I'd say the Switch is going to be replacing both the 3DS and the Wii U since it is a Hybrid console.

With the rise of smartphone games as portable entertainment for many people, I'm doubtful Nintendo would continue with a fully dedicated portable console. Then again, that's just me speculating.

As far as selling your 3DS XL, that's your choice. If you don't have any games on it you would like to play in the future or you are are not interested in getting any other titles, then I say selling it would be a great idea to make up money for something else (like the Switch! o.o). I personally don't sell any of my old consoles but that's because I like to collect them.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

I'd say the Switch is going to be replacing both the 3DS and the Wii U since it is a Hybrid console.

With the rise of smartphone games as portable entertainment for many people, I'm doubtful Nintendo would continue with a fully dedicated portable console. Then again, that's just me speculating.

As far as selling your 3DS XL, that's your choice. If you don't have any games on it you would like to play in the future or you are are not interested in getting any other titles, then I say selling it would be a great idea to make up money for something else (like the Switch! o.o). I personally don't sell any of my old consoles but that's because I like to collect them.

I usually don't sell consoles either, just my Nintendo ones in that I traded in each DS when the new one was released. But I still have my PS1, PS2 and PSP?

But yeah the smartphone game market is huge, with full games like many of FF games, World ends with you etc. now on it. 

21 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

It died pretty quick though. It was a huge thing when the Wii fit came out with everyone from moms to nursing homes having it, but after the trend died the Wii quickly dissolved. The Wii U was not very popular (I didn't really acknowledge it's existence tbh), and all this happened whilst the PS3 and Xbox were still reigning strong along with the DS/3DS.  

22 hours ago, lordzeze said:

I'm think it replaces both but I think in the future they will release a no frills mini switch to appease the 3DS holdovers. 

That sounds highly likely, just like they did with the various DS models like the 2DS, regular and then XL versions.

On 09/07/2018 at 8:52 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

The new Nintendo President has said they are investigating a 3DS successor separate from the Switch. The Switch is special since it sort of replaces BOTH the Wii U and 3DS, but it's also a little too large and expensive to be a "standard" 3DS replacement. So there is value in Nintendo making a different 3DS successor, perhaps as a handheld-only Switch with a smaller screen and non-detachable Joy-cons. Only time will tell. In the meantime, the Switch is starting to get the types of games that were only on 3DS in the past.

Was going to mention the 3DS successor thing but you beat me to it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have planned for the future. 

I own several 3DS models and also got a Switch at launch. I still play my 3DS more than Switch and buy more games for 3DS. I personally don't feel Switch fits as a proper replacement for 3DS as it's missing features I've liked in 3DS and it's not nearly as portable and comfortable to play as a handheld.

• Like 2

On 9.7.2018 at 7:52 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

So there is value in Nintendo making a different 3DS successor, perhaps as a handheld-only Switch with a smaller screen and non-detachable Joy-cons. Only time will tell. In the meantime, the Switch is starting to get the types of games that were only on 3DS in the past.

On 9.7.2018 at 11:28 PM, lordzeze said:

I'm think it replaces both but I think in the future they will release a no frills mini switch to appease the 3DS holdovers. 

This is also what I'm hoping for. I like the idea that I only need a Switch to have access to every Nintendo game coming out and every one of those is playable on the TV. Another advantage is that they only need to develop for one system. If they decide to do a seperate handheld again, it would spread their game releases too thinly again.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 0:33 AM, gameoverDude189 said:

A handheld-only Switch with a lower price than the regular one sounds like a better idea than another 3DS. It's probably time for the DS series to end.

I agree, like how the PSP Go and 2DS were mini versions of their main counterparts. The only thing the Switch and Nintendo lacks altogether and really wish they had is of course trophies, or something similar like sony and xbox's achievements. Don't know why they don't include it as I find trophies really motivating, esp. in long RPGs which the Switch seems to be getting a lot of now.