Your Most Underrated Game

Spiersaz

On 2017-1-22 at 0:56 PM, Zeitgeist-9 said:

The most udenrated games to me are:

• X-Blades
  • Blades Of Time

Maybe because those to are from Russia instead of Japan or US, those game are good, maybe on X-Blades Ayumi appears almost naked, but she is cute and the game's atmosphere is amazing

I have to disagree with this part, I genuinely hate X-Blades. It's one of the worst games I personally played. Awful graphics, even for the time, awful, dull repetitive combat, lazy bosses, terrible music, a confusing and aggravating story. I don't think I could even stand to play Blades of Time, the first game, left such a bad impression on me.

On 2017-1-22 at 2:08 PM, Xgamersurvivor said:

Dragon age 2, i may understand why nobody likes it (same location used min. 5 times, not that interesting characters etc. ), but i found something in that game, that kept me enjoying playing it 

I enjoy the game, oh it clearly re-uses dungeon areas far too often, and the plot and story structure is weird. Each Act doesn't feel like they flow into the others, they feel like three smaller stories, glued together to form a mostly-cohesive story.

On 2017-3-28 at 9:03 AM, Izul said:

So I'm currently playing Nier and I can easily say it's one of the best games I've ever played so far, storywise at least.

While most of the reviews rated that game rather mediocre, many friends recommended that game to me. 

I agree that the controls, the graphics and the gameplay are a bit rusty compared to games that were relesed in the same year but Nier's story and its soundtrack are beyond awesome. Never cared that much for every single character of a game. 

Not played Nier yet, but Nier Automota is making me want to go and try it out.

On 2017-5-12 at 11:02 PM, GoldenDevilGamer said:

There's a couple of games that go unheard or unmentioned that I really liked. 

-Lone Survivor was really cool and I found it engrossing throughout. I liked it's creepy atmosphere with it's 8-bit visuals and retro look (and the music was great). It's tired mechanic was really well done and it's cool that the protagonist hallucinated more if he's tired. Plus the story was great too.

-Braid was a really smart puzzle-platformer and it was a joy to play. And the story is not that simple as it originally seems. The only downside to this game is that it's too short (but not short enough for me to get the speedrun trophy for it...)

-Deadly Premonition is a game I'll never forget. It's a highly polarized game though. The game looks like a bad looking PS2 game, I've played PS1 games with better and more responsive controls, and the writing is completely cheesy and cringe-worthy. However, the story is actually really good and the "open-world" aspect was really well done (with laundry mechanics, gas mechanics and each NPC having a certain schedule). And the cheesy writing adds to the B-movie charm, and the game knows that itself. And it reminds me of Twin Peaks too. 

-Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a game that basically went under the radar when it came out (even though it's part of a popular series). It was my first Sly game, but it really caught my attention. The platforming felt nice, the art-style was great, I loved how each map felt different from each other, and the soundtrack is great too. I ended up buying the Sly collection after that, but I haven't played it yet. 

I own Thieves in Time, it looks fun. Not played it yet though, Braid's on my to-buy list and Lone Survivor has been interesting.

On 2017-6-21 at 0:35 AM, LucileRose said:

I guess 3D Dot Game Heroes would be mine, not many people know about it and it's a great game to play if you're a Zelda fan. ^_^

I love 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's a game I need to get back to, hopefully in 2017.

• Like 1

On 23/6/2017 at 7:36 PM, James_Tonto said:

I have to disagree with this part, I genuinely hate X-Blades. It's one of the worst games I personally played. Awful graphics, even for the time, awful, dull repetitive combat, lazy bosses, terrible music, a confusing and aggravating story. I don't think I could even stand to play Blades of Time, the first game, left such a bad impression on me.

The graphics were good, it was on 1080p and It looked amazing on my TV, maybe you played it on a different resolution, the music was good, maybe it was easy, repetitive and was easy to get lost because some rooms are interconnected on the same place and the game has no indications in that parts (I returned to some previous rooms on my first playthrough on the part were the ghost appears without knowing that until I release the situation), Blades of Time was better, but with Online mode (I hate that modes), Ayumi had now some more clothes (if you hated the other style, to me, the first suit looked good in her), the game have more characters, with voices and better bosses, it's ok if you didn't liked it, each one thinks different, like I hate God Of War franquise because of the damn camera, awful gameplay and many bugs it have on the enemies and Kratos (he always teletransport from a initial place to another), many others may praise it, but to me is overrated, I don't know if you like it or hate it too, it only a example about a personal opinion

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist-9 said:

The graphics were good, it was on 1080p and It looked amazing on my TV, maybe you played it on a different resolution, the music was good, maybe it was easy, repetitive and was easy to get lost because some rooms are interconnected on the same place and the game has no indications in that parts (I returned to some previous rooms on my first playthrough on the part were the ghost appears without knowing that until I release the situation), Blades of Time was better, but with Online mode (I hate that modes), Ayumi had now some more clothes (if you hated the other style, to me, the first suit looked good in her), the game have more characters, with voices and better bosses, it's ok if you didn't liked it, each one thinks different, like I hate God Of War franquise because of the damn camera, awful gameplay and many bugs it have on the enemies and Kratos (he always teletransport from a initial place to another), many others may praise it, but to me is overrated, I don't know if you like it or hate it too, it only a example about a personal opinion

This had nothing to do with my resolution, I've got a large, 40-inch flatscreen, and plenty of games look amazing on it, like Transistor, Darksiders on PS3, DMC etc. Even other games that came out in the same year look better, like Demon's Souls, inFAMOUS and Mirror's Edge, just to name a few. The graphics themselves just looked really ugly to me, if the game developers had stuck to the cell-shaded look. That they used in the cutscenes, and improved the character models there, X-Blades could at least be one of those games that looks good. I'm even less inclined to ever pick up Blades of Time, now I know it has online. Online trophies already stress me out and make me angry, like God of War: Ascension didn't need online, but they at least gave it unique bosses and tied it in with the story somewhat. Darksiders II on PS3 did not need a single 'co-op' online trophy, that would be easy to miss and thus lock me out of that platinum, when the servers closed. And Bioshock 2 didn't need to make it such a tedious grind to reach the highest level online. Sorry, sorry rambling. Online trophies are just a pet peeve of mine.

This short video accurately sums up my thoughts on X-Blades: Should I buy? X-Blades

I'm happy you can find joy in something I hate. I just don't feel the series can be saved, short of a full reboot and making the story about the X-Blades. The game's title always struck me as very odd... Heavenly Sword's story and game play is primarily focused on the titular Sword. With spots where you control Kai the archer. The Soul Edge and Calibur games, revolve around those two swords. Mortal Kombat is about the Mortal Kombat tournaments. And Crash Bandicoot is about a Bandicoot that crashes into boxes XD. Sorry for such a long reply, this is just one of those games that I can't stand.

Many don't seem to understand the underrated concept.LA 

When I read things like "Braid", "LA Noire", "Beyond Good and Evil" or "Spec Ops The Line" ...

Do you guys live under a rock ? These games are not underrated, they are overly praised lol

On 30/6/2017 at 10:11 AM, James_Tonto said:

This had nothing to do with my resolution, I've got a large, 40-inch flatscreen, and plenty of games look amazing on it, like Transistor, Darksiders on PS3, DMC etc. Even other games that came out in the same year look better, like Demon's Souls, inFAMOUS and Mirror's Edge, just to name a few. The graphics themselves just looked really ugly to me, if the game developers had stuck to the cell-shaded look. That they used in the cutscenes, and improved the character models there, X-Blades could at least be one of those games that looks good. I'm even less inclined to ever pick up Blades of Time, now I know it has online. Online trophies already stress me out and make me angry, like God of War: Ascension didn't need online, but they at least gave it unique bosses and tied it in with the story somewhat. Darksiders II on PS3 did not need a single 'co-op' online trophy, that would be easy to miss and thus lock me out of that platinum, when the servers closed. And Bioshock 2 didn't need to make it such a tedious grind to reach the highest level online. Sorry, sorry rambling. Online trophies are just a pet peeve of mine.

This short video accurately sums up my thoughts on X-Blades: Should I buy? X-Blades

I'm happy you can find joy in something I hate. I just don't feel the series can be saved, short of a full reboot and making the story about the X-Blades. The game's title always struck me as very odd... Heavenly Sword's story and game play is primarily focused on the titular Sword. With spots where you control Kai the archer. The Soul Edge and Calibur games, revolve around those two swords. Mortal Kombat is about the Mortal Kombat tournaments. And Crash Bandicoot is about a Bandicoot that crashes into boxes XD. Sorry for such a long reply, this is just one of those games that I can't stand.

I hate too the online modes in games, the only game I have really enjoy playing online was Freedom Wars, there (at least while I was playing it) the players were helpful and collaborative, on the others, the players sometimes not support you, or are a burden when they only join the lobby to earn points or finish the game without helping, or spoiling the game playing like it was single player, I the versus games, some are cheaters, you have no-one closer and in an instant, a foe appears from the nothing, or the male you extremely much damage but your attacks makes them nothing or teletransport you to another place or the game gets lagged at that moment, that happened a lot on BioShock 2 when I was playing it, I wanted to get the 100% of the trophies, but because of that, I only tried the Platinum.

I wanted to play Heavenly Sword, but I haven't found it, that looks interesting, maybe if I found it, I will try it

Maybe is good then don't to try Blades Of Time, maybe is the Online mode is empty.

• 1 month later...

Good thing I found this post, here's mine:

Spec-Ops: The Line (The story alone was outstanding)

Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning (Way underrated and was overtaken by other games)

Vanquish (This fast paced 3rd person shooter was so good!)

Binary Domain (Just finished the SP last night. This was very underrated by FPS. Heck, there's hardly anymore good TPS games)

Ghost Recon Future Solider (The idea behind it was pretty good. The SP was very good with the challenges tied into it. The MP was totally different from COD/BF's and their clones in the world. Wished there was a sequel)

Resonance of Fate (Very underrated JRPG that's overshadowed by FF and others)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, TrickyCompa said:

quantum theory  it kind of gave me gears of war vibes for some reason 

3d dot game heroes 

drakengard 3

mirror's edge 

red faction guerrilla

:)

Reviving an old thread? I'm down. I love 3D Dot Game Heroes. Also the PS4/VITA Digimon games, though I'm not sure if those count as underrated or just niche.

• Like 1

I love many of the picks already mentioned, especially Binary Domain, Enslaved, Spec Ops: The Line, and Mirrors Edge. 

A couple games that are ridiculously underrated/overlooked are FAR: Lone Sails, and Lifeless Planet. Combined, they only have 5,183 PSNP owners.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/8871-far-lone-sails

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5100-lifeless-planet

Edited by EverythingOnFire