Your Most Underrated Game

Spiersaz

Can't remember if I've commented on this article before or not and too lazy to go through my posts list to see.  Anyways, to answer the question at hand....Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and also Prince of Persia (the first one that came out in ohhh I don't know 2008, 2009.  Whatever.)

• Like 2

Really? I'm not as in the know on it, but I don't think I've ever talked to a Souls fans that didn't know Demon's Souls exists. Now, many (including myself) personally like Demon's Souls less than Dark Souls, but that's like saying I like filet mignon less than lobster.

I must agree. I know a lot of people who like Souls games and I haven't heard of a single one that doesn't know Demon's Souls exists (even if many of them didn't play it.) I myself didn't finish Demon's Souls because I never had a PS3, and I lost touch with the friend whose PS3 I used for Demon's Souls, but I did play it and love it. I've also seen lots of playthroughs of it on youtube. Dark Souls 1 is in my opinion still the unequivocal masterpiece that towers above all else, but Demon's was very solid. 

Can't remember if I've commented on this article before or not and too lazy to go through my posts list to see.  Anyways, to answer the question at hand....Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and also Prince of Persia (the first one that came out in ohhh I don't know 2008, 2009.  Whatever.)

The Prince of Persia from 2008 (with no number or subtitle) was by no means the first Prince of Persia. It's preceded by both the original trilogy and the Sands of Time trilogy.

I loved the SoT trilogy and think they're some of the best games of the sixth generation. I never tried my hand at the 2008 one. Have you played the trilogy and can you compare? If it's really that good, I may have to pick it up.  

Hitman Absolution is my favorite Hitman title by far (Haven't played Hitman 2016).  However, Hitman Absolution doesn't get any love from series veterans, and it really sucks loving that one the most because of all the shit it can get you.

LA Noire was one that got raving critical acclaim, but not enough fan love.  This game is amazing and it is among Rockstar's best IPs.

The Godfather II is just amazing.  I had so much fun with this game.  I didn't play Godfather 1, and a lot of people say that II is a rehash, so I can't speak for that, but as a standalone title, it is just so much fun.

Finally, my most controversial pick is Duke Nukem Forever.  It is not perfect by any means.  Load times are awful, 50% of the jokes are really dated and just fall flat, and the "mini-games" are broken, BUT it's the return of Duke Nukem!!!!!!!!  I love Duke.  Every gamer should.  Damnit, for that reason alone, this game is not that bad.  There is definitely some fun to be had with this one.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Vanquish 

Kingdoms of Amalur definitely deserves to be on this list! I got it for free during the free game giveaway and it just so happens that it is one of my favorite RPGs. The combat is the gem to this underrated game.

Agreed, a shame the developer over-spent their budget on over projections of sales so EA had to shut them down so stupid of Big Huge Games.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 7:52 PM, oODaNNii-BhoY_94 said:

I think Prince of Persia 08 is a joy to play and not loved by enough people i don't think, especially a lot of PoP fans

The game is really relaxing to play, its like a painting, its gorgeous to look at. You can just look and run around for a long time. Its great

I agree with that I like POP 08, it was so beautiful lol tbh only thing I really hated about it is essentially u couldnt die haha

• Like 1

On September 26, 2016 at 9:57 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Anyway, I've been playing Yakuza 5 again. This game deserved more love. I guess it's Sega's fault for waiting YEARS to bring it over, but they really improved a lot (particularly the minigames - batting is now a blast).

I NEVER heard of this series until last week. Wow.

So is it essentially a combination of Witcher 3 and Sleeping Dogs?

On 12/23/2016 at 10:11 PM, xxLuBuX said:

I agree with that I like POP 08, it was so beautiful lol tbh only thing I really hated about it is essentially u couldnt die haha

Yeah that was a big reason why many weren't big on the game. Personally i didn't mind because i just saw it as as an adventure traversing the landscapes while listening to a great soundtrack, one of the best in my opinion that i have heard.

Was really more about parkour and puzzle challenges anyway

• Like 1

On 28/12/2016 at 11:54 AM, oODaNNii-BhoY_94 said:

Yeah that was a big reason why many weren't big on the game. Personally i didn't mind because i just saw it as as an adventure traversing the landscapes while listening to a great soundtrack, one of the best in my opinion that i have heard.

Was really more about parkour and puzzle challenges anyway

The lack of death was my own personal gripe with the game. I just felt it lacked any sort of consequence. Like maybe if Elika teleported you outta the fight, if you lost so many times, so you had to trek back? Some sorta consequence to losing anyway. *Shrugs* Still I do think the game is definitely worth trying out, hell I even got the DLC which definitely improved and livened up the game further. I only wish it had been longer.

As for more of my own Underrated games.

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - This game doesn't take itself too seriously, it makes references and pokes fun at other games, you play as a guy who knows he is a game character, which is a interesting idea. Combat is pretty simple, and the bosses are pretty decent and varied. I'd recommend giving the game a try. 

Bionic Commando - Now I have a personal soft-spot for this game, but it has some glaring flaws. First is the damage you take, it is really easy to get overwhelmed and die in this game. As well as run out of ammo, for some of your guns. But the Bionic arm mechanics make this game a lot of fun, especially swinging around. The game will provide a decent challenge, so I'd say play it and if you like it, try to earn the platinum.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Okay I know, I know this game has been brought up a number of times. But it does tend to be an overlooked gem. Now this game is not perfect, combat can get stale after awhile. The story is a bit convoluted as well, and there's real-life people and imagery in the game, which just doesn't mesh as well as say, CGI or in-game graphic images, would have. The Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC was amazing, I seriously recommend it.

God of War: Ascension - I genuinely have no idea, why this game gets so much flak. Okay the inclusion of any online elements in a primarily single player experience makes me bitter as well. But they at least partly tied it in, with the campaign. Plus it has its own bosses to fight, so some effort was put into it. The story is really good in this game, Kratos struggling to reclaim his own memories and freedom from Ares, unintentionally setting himself up on the path of murder and revenge, seen in the later games. Kratos is at his most human in this game, and it's refreshing to see him so human. The fights are really epic, a genuinely enjoyable spectacle. Plus the villains of the game are great too, and stalk you throughout the game.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight - One of my favourite Nippo Ichi titles. This game is darker than the Disgaea series, which I'm more familiar with. But it's still a solid game. The PS3 version has this one horrible, game-breaking bug, where it can crash rather unexpectedly. Much like Disgaea D2, though D2 does have a way to avoid that. Get the PS4 version, and give this game a try. It's really quite a special little game.

Mafia II - The game is a bit short, but it's well worth playing. This game takes place, just after World War II, with your character, Vito Scaletta, joining up with the Mafia, alongside his lifelong friend, Joe Barbaro. The game has a great story, some fun collectables with the playboy magazine's :blush:. The driving mechanics are pretty good, and combat is smooth. It plays a bit like a Grand Theft Auto clone, only I feel it manages to stand out with its setting, story and characters.

Dark Void - This is an average game, so I would consider it more an overlooked title, than underrated. The game has a lot of great ideas and concepts, but doesn't really take full advantage of them. I think if the game had more polish, it could have been an even better experience. It's definitely worth checking out though.

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken - An underrated side-scroller. Rocketbirds is a genuinely fun title, you play as this tough, chicken. Formally a brainwashed soldier, now fighting against the tyrannical regime, to restore order and freedom to the world. By killing the leadership of the evil penguin nation. This game has some goofy trophies to earn and some great mechanics, like ducking in and out of the background to avoid bullets or stealthily approach enemies.

Serious Sam 3: BFE - I love the Serious Sam games. Mainly the First and Second Ecnounter. BFE is an excellent prequel to those games, Sam 'Serious' Stone never looked as great, nor have his enemies. This game introduces some new enemies, along with a horde of the classic enemies. I'd highly recommend checking out this title, I found it a blast to play online. 

• Like 3