Your Most Underrated Game

Spiersaz

I see Catherine here a lot but it was never underrated by any means, got an average review rate above 80% and with around a million copies sold by now it did more than four times what Atlus was originally expecting, the game was a huge financial success for the company.

I ll jump on the Spec ops the line, Nier, 3d dot game heroes train though.

I find this post very funny. On the one hand, it rightly cites Catherine's successes (both critically and commercially), even giving a stat regarding expectations (although the PS3 version currently has a 79 rating on Metacritic, which is close to, but not exceeding, 80).

But then, it cites 3-D Dot Game Heroes, which sold 6x what was expected in NA, and had an overall Metacritic review of 77. 

In that case, I'll add to what a few others have stated and nominate... 

dantes-inferno-playstation-3_38113_post.

A lot of people dismissed the game as a cheap "God of War" clone, a stance made especially easy by the fact that it was published by EA (Evil Association) when in fact, descending down the 9 circles of Hell was a blast.

Agreed. Dante's Inferno was well done across the board, but under-appreciated by many in the community. I held off buying this due to lackluster word of mouth, and while I ended up getting it cheaper than I otherwise would have, I would have supported it more had I simply not listened to the community at large.

Assassin's Creed Unity. By far the best AC title of all in my opinion. I had a mostly glitchless experience and loved every minute of it.

Though not hated, I believe the Metro franchise could use a little more love. 

Finally, all Harry Potter games except Goblet and Hallows (pt1 and 2) were all largely competent games on their own rights, and lovingly handled its source material as well (often making book references), so I totally disagree with people that regard them as 'another boring bunch of lisenced games'.

Edited by QuentinCle95

Assassin's Creed Unity. By far the best AC title of all in my opinion. I had a mostly glitchless experience and loved every minute of it.

Though not hated, I believe the Metro franchise could use a little more love. 

Finally, all Harry Potter games except Goblet and Hallows (pt1 and 2) were all largely competent games on their own rights, and lovingly handled its source material as well (often making book references), so I totally disagree with people that regard them as 'another boring bunch of lisenced games'.

I can only comment on Half-Blood Prince, but I thought that game was pretty fun. Unfortunately, I immediately played Hallows, pt. 1, which might be the worst game I played on the PS3.

There's a couple that I could mention but if I have to pick one then it would be Aliens: Colonial Marines. I can understand the criticism that it received but people calling it the worst Game ever is ridiculous. Alright the Graphics could be better, it does have Glitches and the Story doesn't make much sense. Despite these things I still liked it, I think it's fun and it has some tense moments. Plus it great to shoot Aliens. So in my opinion, I don't think it's that bad when you put certain things aside and get into it.

I'll also mention Tron Evolution. It's a fun Game with some cool moments and I liked the platformer elements to it as well as fighting with the Discs. It also has brilliant music from the Movie.

I play a LOT of games that people generly tend to despise, because I have a much more open mind to this kind of stuff. And I genuinely like to collect the miserable remains of what could have been. With that said, it's hard to choose.

Dead Space 3

Haze is definitely up there.

Dante's Inferno

Duke Nukem Forever

Medal of Honor

Akiba's Trip

Aliens vs Predator

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Assassin's Creed III

AC Unity

Binary Domain

Dark Void

Dead Island

DmC

Final Fantasy XIII

Resident Evil 6

Mugen Souls

NFS The Run

Ninja Gaiden 3

Soul Calibur V

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

The Amazing Spider-Man

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

X-Blades

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

Now, some of these games, while receiving generally positive reviews (DS3, Warhammer 40K), alcan be considered underrated. Taking from this list, while certainly not complete, I'd have to say Haze and Yaiba are the most criminally underrated in my opinion. Many consider them to be complete and utter trash, while I look and see a great concept that failed to take hold. Both games are entirely functional and fun to play, although I still have not beaten the final boss in Yaiba due to its very punishing difficulty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Brutal Lengend

Not many people liked it and multiplayer is almost dead.

But it has a unique concept, beautifully rendered, and a nice voice cast.

Platinum is nearly unattainable now and it seems like the multiplayer servers will go down any day.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I played many underrated games but I will only list those I liked a lot on ps3, I dont want to spend all day on this post :awesome: I highly recomend them, especially to fans of those genres.

Ridge Racer Unbounded

Remember Me

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Dungeon Siege 3

Test Drive Unlimited 2

blur

Sacred 2 Fallen Angel

Disgaea 3

Enslaved

Alice Madness Returns

Fuse

The Darkness II

Lost Planet 3

Kane & Lynch 2

Zombie Driver HD

Spec Ops The Line

Mini Ninjas

Rage

After playing Armored Core V recently, I'd have to say that game seems pretty "underrated", or at least mostly unknown in the West. The gameplay is pretty solid, and while it could use some polishing, and the storyline is pretty uninteresting, it's a great game nonetheless. The nearest I can compare it to which I've played is Zone of the Enders, though I'd say the gameplay in AC is a lot better.

Some other "underrated" or fairly unknown games (on Playstation systems) I've played and enjoyed are:

Tokyo Jungle

Puppeteer

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Deadly Premonition

Lone Survivor

El Shaddai

Kholat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think Remember Me is pretty underrated. Not many seemed to realise the beauty and clever gameplay, then, and until today. Its a fantastic cyberpunk-themed game.

If the game was longer, it could have unfolded all its potential to the fullest. It felt like it was half a game and held back.

My vote goes to RAGE. It also was way too short and had a very disappointing ending. Could have been better but it's still a great game and one of the better IP's I've played over the years on PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

The Saboteur. It was released in 2009 and is an open-world action game set in Nazi occupied France during World War II. The game is entirely in black and white with hints of color (namely red) and as you "inspire" areas of France (basically taking France back from Germany), those areas change to color. The game allows you to climb buildings similar to Assassin's Creed (even the Eiffel Tower!) but its one draw back to the climbing mechanic is that it's not smooth like the AC series. Quite the opposite. It's rather clunky.

Edited by Pirelli913
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...