Kill Your Completion ∞

1 minute ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Have you tried Cities: Skyline? It's said that this game is like SimeCity only better. I haven't played SimCity or Cities: Skyline so I can't really say anything about it.

Cities: Skylines is on my list (scheduled for Nov 13-15).  I've seen my cousin play it a little on Xbox and it reminded me a lot of SimCity 2000/3000/4.  From what little I've seen, I'd say that SimCity, but better could be accurate.  I'll have to play it myself to say for sure.

Tropico 5 is a nice game too, but has a very different approach than SimCity.

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

Dokuro is a puzzle indie platformer that was released on the Playstation Vita around six years ago. You play a skeleton, who is tasked with helping the princess reach her destination, which happens to be a flower.

I remember liking this game alright but whenever I see it pop up on psnp it always seems to be getting hate. I think it has the same issue as other physics platformers where a trophy asks for a level of precision from the player that the engine itself doesn't allow for. The prime example from this game would be the trophy for going through Chapter 14 (boss re-fights) without taking damage when a weird glitch in the game could cause you damage and invalidate your run. Although probably not of interest to you, others might be interested to know that there is a trick to facilitate the Chapter 14 trophy if you save your level skips and take a backup save before Chapter 14.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Cities: Skylines is on my list (scheduled for Nov 13-15).  I've seen my cousin play it a little on Xbox and it reminded me a lot of SimCity 2000/3000/4.  From what little I've seen, I'd say that SimCity, but better could be accurate.  I'll have to play it myself to say for sure.

Tropico 5 is a nice game too, but has a very different approach than SimCity.

Simcity 2000 through 4 were probably my favorite childhood strategy games. So many good memories when your city was running into debt, you obtained bonds which ended up eating your entire budget and you had high unemployment.

Cities: Skylines looks to be a modern day city builder.

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

Game #1 - Final Review

L8e9ed9.png

Playtime: 11 hours

Trophies Earned: 17/23

Story Thus Far: I meant to finish the story today, but I forgot I had prior commitments. But I got as close as I possibly could, which was just a few main missions short from the end. The story won't win any GOTY awards, but it's a nice, delightful game about a kitten saving the land from dragons. Of course, there's more to the plot, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. I must say though that it's a great game to play in-between long, difficult games. 

Gameplay: Pretty simple. Magic on the L and R buttons, and . There are monsters that appear on the world map that you can run past or fight. Nothing too bad, depending on the area, and if you completed any of the side-quests. Also, there are caves and ruins filled with monsters and treasure where your cat person and train and loot. I would say those were the most time-consuming rather than the main story. 

Graphics: The art style is really lovely. The colors are bright and cheerful, and will immediately lighten the mood.

Platinum Prospects: Moderately easy plat list; I took a quick peek, and saw that I still need a few of the more grindier trophies, but it's not big deal, and it's something I can work towards while playing the other games.

Recommend: Yes, if only for the cat puns. It's meow-velous!

Next year some time there is going to be a sequal. It is going to be co-op and have a much larger map. It involves the dog empire I believe. 

https://thegentlebros.com/catquest2/

Edited by kingofbattle8174
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

1. All these trophies that require collecting things or completing a section without dying, forcing you to make tons of backup saves. Add to this, the fact that the game will actually prevent you from loading said save when connected to the internet, and it becomes a massive headache.. 

2. Minigames with stupidly hard time requirements. I was stuck on the rolling ball one for around 3 hours, failing many times right near the end, because I couldn't get the ball up and over the last obstacle. And because this ball has a backwards control scheme, I had to keep trying it with my controller turned upside down.

3. Old School Mode. After everything I've already gone through, here's where the real "fun" begins.. No saves, limited lives, and you have to get through the entire game. When dying just means retrying a room, it's fine. But you add in this, and hooooly shit.. With sections where the floor is ice, and you slip and slide... And things like flames, spiders, lasers, etc. all trying to kill you... One day, maybe I'll conquer this mode, but I am very uncertain. 

1. It won't help you since you've already dealt with the ducks, but you don't need to make any backup saves.  You can hit the PS button and close the game when you die and restart (on PS4 anyway, not sure if it's the same on Vita).  It only saves after you move from one room to another, so if you die just close the game.  That makes the no-death duck trophy much less painful than having to backup your saves and play offline.

2.  Yep, that ball rolling one is annoying for sure, especially at the end with those "gears" that you have to roll over and that last jump where it's hard to tell where you're supposed to go.  Congrats on going through that.  Probably more annoying than Old School Mode in my opinion.

3. There's a real learning curve there, but it's doable.  I was surprised at how quickly I went from dying all the time to hardly dying at all.  There's a couple key parts you have to get good at, because if not they can burn a lot of lives.  And then after that you've got to be careful.  For the ice, I found that jumping all the time helped with the slipping.  Anyway, good luck to you if you do decide to go for this at some point.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

1. It won't help you since you've already dealt with the ducks, but you don't need to make any backup saves.  You can hit the PS button and close the game when you die and restart (on PS4 anyway, not sure if it's the same on Vita).  It only saves after you move from one room to another, so if you die just close the game.  That makes the no-death duck trophy much less painful than having to backup your saves and play offline.

2.  Yep, that ball rolling one is annoying for sure, especially at the end with those "gears" that you have to roll over and that last jump where it's hard to tell where you're supposed to go.  Congrats on going through that.  Probably more annoying than Old School Mode in my opinion.

3. There's a real learning curve there, but it's doable.  I was surprised at how quickly I went from dying all the time to hardly dying at all.  There's a couple key parts you have to get good at, because if not they can burn a lot of lives.  And then after that you've got to be careful.  For the ice, I found that jumping all the time helped with the slipping.  Anyway, good luck to you if you do decide to go for this at some point.

1. I didn't want to take any chances. Lol. It seemed to show the save icon when I died (if connected to the internet), and I read a lot of people had trouble with it popping. So... decided to just play it safe. 

2. Yeah, it could be. But I don't know if I'll manage it, with my tendency to get really nervous with these types of things. :/ 

3. I made it halfway in decent shape (same number of deaths as the video guide I followed), but then it all went to shit pretty quickly. :lol: I'll probably try it some more in the future, hopefully getting better at the spots I repeatedly died at, and maybe get through it all.

Day 3 of Game #1:

Well, I certainly made up for yesterday and played Dark Cloud 2 for several hours. All I did though was farm experience for Steve so he could get his defense upgrades. Running through the Underground Channel several times will prep me for the annoying Spheda farming. :P

I will probably just continue the story and fight the first boss tomorrow after church. Not really gonna grind the EXP for the final defense upgrade for the current core as it's boring.

• Like 4

So, didn't play today, it's a hectic weekend. Plan to do one more session with Aven to try out scenario/world 2 since I finished the first one, then move to the next game. 

I don't dislike the game. It's got a way of pulling you in too until you don't realize how long you were playing. But it's not as relaxing as I had hoped, and you need to be in the right mindset for it. 

11 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

My biggest problem with the game was that it's nearly impossible to guess where exactly your character is at the moment, due to the lack of a drop shadow below your character. That made it incredibly hard to get through some parts of the game and many of the mistakes felt like I was doing the right thing but something was wrong with the game. Overall I can't believe you actually managed to get almost all of the trophies in just about 15 hours, that's not bad at all. I don't know if I'll ever get back to the game, there's just too many annoying trophies.

Well, there actually is a shadow. Only way I could tell if I was going to land on platforms sometimes. Lol. Some deaths did feel a bit cheap, though..

It may have been a little more. Or less. Hard to gauge playtime exactly, when you don't keep track and take breaks here and there. But it's not an overly long game. Even with some of my minigame and other trophy struggles, I beat it in two days, and got most of the trophies in the process. Day 3 was simply replaying the second half of the game for a missed trophy and practice for Old School Mode. And then trying Old School Mode. Once. Then I kind of lost all motivation to continue playing. :/ 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

Well, there actually is a shadow. Only way I could tell if I was going to land on platforms sometimes. Lol. Some deaths did feel a bit cheap, though..

It may have been a little more. Or less. Hard to gauge playtime exactly, when you don't keep track and take breaks here and there. But it's not an overly long game. Even with some of my minigame and other trophy struggles, I beat it in two days, and got most of the trophies in the process. Day 3 was simply replaying the second half of the game for a missed trophy and practice for Old School Mode. And then trying Old School Mode. Once. Then I kind of lost all motivation to continue playing. :/ 

Hmm, then that's either a PS4 exclusive "feature" or the result of a patch because I'm completely sure I didn't have a shadow when playing this on the Vita back when it was on PSPlus. I might give it another try in that case because that's gonna make the game much more forgiving. I had a lot of trouble when I played it because I just never could tell what tile I'm on once I'm in the air.

41 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Wow, I can't believe this game is so short. I thought they'd at least put some content into their weird spinoff. I wanted to give this game a try one day, mostly because I love both R&C and tower defense, but I think if it's this short I'd probably only get it if it was an upcoming Plus game. Anything else would just feel like a waste of money to me...

It is that short. Part of that 5hrs was doing a bit of replay for trophy stuff as well.  One more mission gives a grand total of 5 missions to do (with one being on a snow-covered version of a previous planet as well).  There is replay, I guess, but I'm really not enjoying the game so the trophy replay is going to make this more unenjoyable.

I'm glad I didn't actually pay for it (it was free with buying Into the Nexus IIRC).  It's been really disappointing.

53 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Hmm, then that's either a PS4 exclusive "feature" or the result of a patch because I'm completely sure I didn't have a shadow when playing this on the Vita back when it was on PSPlus. I might give it another try in that case because that's gonna make the game much more forgiving. I had a lot of trouble when I played it because I just never could tell what tile I'm on once I'm in the air.

Trophy guide suggests playing it on the PS4. The Vita version is apparently very buggy. Whether or not that's why you didn't have a shadow, though, I'm not sure.