Beta FW 6.10 live - PSN ID Change Feature now available

Suminya

I would say that while some things sound scary I wouldn't take those things too seriously, basically it's Sony having to cover themselves if those things actually do happen for the odd game or two. For the most part, everything should be in tact, however if you hop into older games on PS3 for instance your old display name may show and maybe in-game stores or DLC verifying could act in odd ways depending on how the game was programmed. Overall I wouldn't be afraid of changing your names.

PSNP seems to be handling it better than I thought too, though there are some content-related things (guides, etc) which are tied to profiles Sly will have to sort out when a name is changed

Not surprised by these risks, if you understand how the username/ID system works on PSN since it started you knew it wouldn't be easy.

I definitely think they should have just incorporated a new Display Name feature whilst still keeping your ID. New games/firmware and PS5 etc. would support the new display names while old systems and games could continue to work with the ID. This would mean no risks or losses to freely change your Display Name.

But ultimately, everyone's had the opportunity to make new accounts freely so I'm not sure why people care so much about name changes anyway. Sucks if you commited yourself to an account name you don't like but you're a tiny minority I'm afraid.

I'm just glad they didn't fuck up the whole network ID system and end up resetting everyone, that could have been a real possibility if they decided to change how the core IDs and usernames themselves work just to allow name changing easier for all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shary96 said:

So this is turning out to be a feature for casual users... There's absolutely no incentive for trophy hunters to take the risk. Well, thanks for trying Sony, I guess...

Obviously. That's their first priority. Trophy hunting is quite minor on PS, why would they take that over normal players?

• Like 1

For the people who seem to think this will delete all their trophies and digital games, just wanted to highlight a couple of key words:

• You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you have acquired for your games, including content like add-ons and virtual currency.
• You may lose your progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data and progress toward trophies.

None of these warnings should come as a surprise. Sony already said older games may not be supported. They don't know how these games will react as they weren't designed with the feature in mind. So it shouldn't be surprising if an older game thinks you're a different account and so:
• can't register that you own dlc/add-ons/virtual currency from in-game.
• doesn't let you use "another account's" save file/online stats, or does but won't let you earn trophies with it.
• glitches in some way because it's receiving 2 account IDs, or can't verify you and triggers anti-piracy features or features intended to stop cheaters/hackers.

Not saying this isn't a big deal. I personally still play primarily on PS3 and have plenty of games I still want to play on it. I just don't understand comments along the lines of 'I was going to do this but not now' or 'so we might lose access to everything' etc.

49 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Actually, they spent years telling people it would be impossible to impliment properly, based on the pre-existing structure.

They also always made it very clear, at the time of account creation, that the name could not be changed in the future.

But, like a bunch of self-entitled children, a segment of the user-base continued whining and bleating and moaning about wanting the feature anyway - so eventually they relented, and are allowing people to do what they want, despite the risks - which they are now being very upfront about.

I just don’t understand how people can be mad about this.

”We want to change our names!”

”sorry, the system isn’t built that way.”

”but we want it!”

”it would cause all sorts of problems for you”

”but we want it!”

”It’s not going to work right...”

”but we want it!”

”we told you from the start to chose one you like, to avoid this problem”

”but we want it!”

”no”

”but we want it!”

”seriously, no.”

”but we want it!”

”FFS, will you all shut up! It won’t work properly!”

”but we want it! Waaaaahhhh!”

”okay, okay fine. It’ll have a bunch of problems though.”

”what?! Problems?! How dare you!!!”

??‍♀️

Sounds like a kid chucking a tantrum in a supermarket after being told they can't have a lolly lol.

Bit of forethought when making a username and people wouldn't have a problem but of course that's also Sony's fault.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DrHambone said:

Dang, a lot of risks that come with changing your ID. Not really worth it IMO.

Agreed.  

46 minutes ago, Feral said:

Sounds like a kid chucking a tantrum in a supermarket after being told they can't have a lolly lol.

Bit of forethought when making a username and people wouldn't have a problem but of course that's also Sony's fault.

I laughed so much at this dialogue! :lol::lol: There's my HumourHub fill for the day.

• Like 1

I changed a few of my store accounts to match them more with my main acc. so far no po problems. the only thing i noticed is that i can't play Bo2 on one of my store accounts, it says server unavailable, but i played on that account bo2 before so probably there are some issues with that game and the id change. Other games like playstation Allstars Battle Royale didn't have a problm with the id change. I could post a list of compatible PS4 Games Sony postet in the Beta Forum, but i'm probably not allowed to post it here :D

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Actually, they spent years telling people it would be impossible to impliment properly, based on the pre-existing structure.

They also always made it very clear, at the time of account creation, that the name could not be changed in the future.

But, like a bunch of self-entitled children, a segment of the user-base continued whining and bleating and moaning about wanting the feature anyway - so eventually they relented, and are allowing people to do what they want, despite the risks - which they are now being very upfront about.

”but we want it!”

”but we want it!”

”but we want it!”

”but we want it!”

”no”

”but we want it!”

”seriously, no.”

”but we want it!”

?1f3fb.png‍♀️

Being a corporate apologist sounds like a full-time job! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

”but we want it!”

”but we want it!”

”but we want it!”

”but we want it!”

”no”

”but we want it!”

”seriously, no.”

”but we want it!”

??‍♀️

My first thoughts exactly when i visited this thread. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xM1s3RYJ0k3Rzz said:

Luckily i don't want to change my name but yeah that's pretty weird when microsoft and steam don't have any issues with name changes

This proves that Sony fucked the PSN database up that hard from the ground up. Amateurs...

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, xM1s3RYJ0k3Rzz said:

Luckily i don't want to change my name but yeah that's pretty weird when microsoft and steam don't have any issues with name changes

You still can't change your login name on Steam though. Only your aliases. But that's what the others will see hopefully lol.

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I've been constantly explaining this kind of thing to friends and communities on the regular, I don't understand how such a thing isn't common knowledge by now.

And for anyone who wants to crap on Sony for structuring it like that, consider that it wasn't uncommon for services back then to use a similar structure, so they weren't really doing anything 'wrong' for the time.

• Like 2