Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

4 hours ago, xenomorfi2 said:

collecting trophies, especially if we talk about ultra rare ones, where in some cases you need to spend hundreds of hours just to achieve a digital icon, is useless. Like every other hobbies, every other passions, you will never gain a physical reward for them

I judge/measure people by only one metric in life: Are you happy?

If the answer is 'yes'? Whatever you are doing and however you are spending your time is correct (within reason and providing it does not reduce anyone else's happiness.) Said happiness is the most elusive 'ultra rare' of them all so if you have it or know where to find it? Complete it and then 'stack' that b**** to your hearts content!!!

(On a side note the aforementioned were/are powerful sentiments from YOU of all people @xenomorfi2 because you have achieved what few of us can only dream of via your 'Necrodancer' completion. You may consider the experience and achievement as "useless" but for many of us here, we regard that (and you by default) worthy of immense respect and admiration. That in turn presents a tangible 'reward' of sorts that may also be meaningless to you but is priceless to others...)

• Like 3

Yes... No... Kinda... It's complicated. 

I like to have ultra rates when the occasion comes, and it's a nice challenge. With that said, I still want to enjoy a game and it heavily depends on the mood, so if im not in the mood for an ultra rare game, I probably won't do it right now. 

So my answer would be "maybe" because neither yes or no fits me. I just platinum what I enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I understand that rarity isn't that big of a deal, but nothing at all impresses you bar Monster Hunter?

Well seeing Monster Hunter World/Iceborne at 100% always impresses me because I’m a Capcom fan and that’s the only game/series I would enjoy but don’t have on my “to do” list as I’m a completionist and it takes too much time to 100%.

It’s all personal opinion of course. the only thing I care about is the quality of games on a profile (and that’s obviously within my own specific tastes).

For example, I’m not impressed by someone having Castlevania Anniversary Collection in isolation but if they’ve only played say 70 or fewer games and have that alongside Castlevania Requiem, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and Samurai Shodown Collection I’m impressed by their taste and I’ll see what else they’ve been playing for recommendations.

Someone completing Super Meat Boy doesn’t tell you they’re the Justin Wong of 2D platformers or anything other than they decided that trying and failing over and over until they finally nailed each level was how they wanted to spend their time for a while. True, for some people that process takes a lot less failure which is impressive but the platinum itself doesn’t tell you that.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

Well seeing Monster Hunter World/Iceborne at 100% always impresses me because I’m a Capcom fan and that’s the only game/series I would enjoy but don’t have on my “to do” list as I’m a completionist and it takes too much time to 100%.

It’s all personal opinion of course. the only thing I care about is the quality of games on a profile (and that’s obviously within my own specific tastes).

For example, I’m not impressed by someone having Castlevania Anniversary Collection in isolation but if they’ve only played say 70 or fewer games and have that alongside Castlevania Requiem, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and Samurai Shodown Collection I’m impressed by their taste and I’ll see what else they’ve been playing for recommendations.

That's cool man, we're all impressed by different things so I can understand why games you enjoy hold more value than something super difficult. I'm more along the same lines of liking specific games, but still have appreciation of the really hard stuff, but have no real intention to do alot of it myself as it's not what I want to do with my time.

14 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

Someone completing Super Meat Boy doesn’t tell you they’re the Justin Wong of 2D platformers or anything other than they decided that trying and failing over and over until they finally nailed each level was how they wanted to spend their time for a while. True, for some people that process takes a lot less failure which is impressive but the platinum itself doesn’t tell you that.

Very true sentiment, trophies can give a rough idea or how good somebody is at something but only to a certain extent. For me though, it's all about the sense of accomplishment for the user themselves in my eyes and platinum is the end goal for most who use this site. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

Watching MatteSMB, it's clear that I will never reach his skill level.

People like Justin Wong, the guys who compete in Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, the guys who enter the speedrun competitions on YouTube and Twitch.tv, don't care one iota about trophies. The only guy I know who does both trophy hunting and proper speedrunning is @greenzsaber, I used his website for help on some of the no death trophies in Super Meat Boy. He was in a speedrun competition some years ago, I don't remember what game or what channel it was on.

A fair number of speedrunners stick to one or two games for thousands of hours. I imagine the guys who can do Super Mario Bros 1 in a matter of a few quick minutes have probably put in hundreds or thousands of hours. Then they practice for dozens of hours to shave off a mere split second off their record time.

That, in my opinion, is true hardcore gaming. Some of us like to think we're hardcore because some people like to hunt ultra rare trophies, but the reality is they are really just a 'jack of all trades' type of player. The people who are the absolute best in Street Fighter aren't the guys hunting trophies. They're probably trying to enter the next competition so they can gain fame and money.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Watching MatteSMB, it's clear that I will never reach his skill level.

People like Justin Wong, the guys who compete in Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, the guys who enter the speedrun competitions on YouTube and Twitch.tv, don't care one iota about trophies. The only guy I know who does both trophy hunting and proper speedrunning is @greenzsaber, I used his website for help on some of the no death trophies in Super Meat Boy. He was in a speedrun competition some years ago, I don't remember what game or what channel it was on.

A fair number of speedrunners stick to one or two games for thousands of hours. I imagine the guys who can do Super Mario Bros 1 in a matter of a few quick minutes have probably put in hundreds or thousands of hours. Then they practice for dozens of hours to shave off a mere split second off their record time.

That, in my opinion, is true hardcore gaming. Some of us like to think we're hardcore because some people like to hunt ultra rare trophies, but the reality is they are really just a 'jack of all trades' type of player. The people who are the absolute best in Street Fighter aren't the guys hunting trophies. They're probably trying to enter the next competition so they can gain fame and money.

This game is s why I’d like to get back into fighters again along with comp shooters cus I really would like to be more then jack of all trades master of none kind of player.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The only guy I know who does both trophy hunting and proper speedrunning is @greenzsaber, I used his website for help on some of the no death trophies in Super Meat Boy. He was in a speedrun competition some years ago, I don't remember what game or what channel it was on.

Yeah he done the Disgaea games, just search his name on YouTube and a bunch off stuff will pop up. Pretty sure I've caught him in twitch a few times with some more obscure stuff aswell. 

39 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

So agree, I have the plat in Street Fighter V and I’m certain I wouldn’t make it past the first round of even a low-level local tournament.

I don’t even know what those guys are talking about some of the time. Frame counting? Sometimes I wonder if I was just punched or kicked it happened so fast.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

So agree, I have the plat in Street Fighter V and I’m certain I wouldn’t make it past the first round of even a low-level local tournament.

I don’t even know what those guys are talking about some of the time. Frame counting? Sometimes I wonder if I was just punched or kicked it happened so fast.

Damn, that's a big platinum right there. Reaching that Golden League must of been real stressful.

6 hours ago, TheQuisling said:

I judge/measure people by only one metric in life: Are you happy?

If the answer is 'yes'? Whatever you are doing and however you are spending your time is correct (within reason and providing it does not reduce anyone else's happiness.) Said happiness is the most elusive 'ultra rare' of them all so if you have it or know where to find it? Complete it and then 'stack' that b**** to your hearts content!!!

(On a side note the aforementioned were/are powerful sentiments from YOU of all people @xenomorfi2 because you have achieved what few of us can only dream of via your 'Necrodancer' completion. You may consider the experience and achievement as "useless" but for many of us here, we regard that (and you by default) worthy of immense respect and admiration. That in turn presents a tangible 'reward' of sorts that may also be meaningless to you but is priceless to others...)

I explained myself really bad because the message that I wanted to pass was literally everything you said hahaha. Just because something doesn't give you a physical reward it doesn't mean it's not worth your time, like you said, the happiness and the satisfaction that you will gain from that thing is more than enough to justify it! 

Sorry for the misunderstanding (my English is not really good sometimes) and thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate! 

Oh, one last thing, most of all I am sorry for making you think that for me the plat of Crypt of the necrodancer was meaningless, it is probably the greatest achievements that I have ever obtained, and if it can be source of inspiration or admiration I can only be more happy! (also because I passed 782 hours on that game, it is basically a part of my life now lol)

Thanks again! 

• Like 2

I know it's a Yes or No question, but my honest answer is "Nice to Have".  I don't go out of my way for them, but if its a game I want to play anyway, it's a little bonus if the plat is UR.  OTOH, rarity doesn't mean much.  People seem to conflate it with difficulty or prestige, and while there are definitely hard/worthy UR plats, there's a good bunch that aren't.  Source: my own profile, which has a number of "meh" UR plats.  I'd estimate 31 of my 37 UR plats aren't anything special to people who play that genre.  (32/38 if we count my current game TTGH).

In a way I find them important. It resembles that you were one of the 'few' crazy people that had the patience to do everything a certain (Platinum) Trophy requires. It gives more satisfaction for me than the Platinum Trophies I can get within 30 minutes, but that's what I learned from those.

Offcourse some of the games on this website wouldn't be ultra rare if they weren't free (stay home with PlayStation) or part of the Instant Game Collection through PlayStation Plus. Especially the PS3 has a lot of IGC games that people tried but didn't finish.

• 1 month later...

I love goin for URs, long harder games or even weird glitchy messes. because somehow I come to appreciate them all in some way. then occasionally i wanna turn off my brain get nutted and play a chiller but i don't wanna do a super easy 80+% game so i do something 40-60 only to discover it required more thought then I was willing to give it and it pisses me off a bit lol.

i find harder UR games to be easier as I go into them in the right mindset, get the loops down and smash em till done. and most of the time i enjoy myself.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For me not particularly I play games I want to play whether they are easy or hard and have never really put much thought of its importance, But with that said I try to actually play good games and put some effort in trophy hunting if I end up getting ultra rares fantastic if not oh well moving on.

But yeah sure it’s more satisfying achieving something ultra rare rather than just getting something anyone can get I get it, But seriously when I start a game I hardly even notice if their are ultra rare trophy’s I just look at how to achieve said trophy and whether I can and that’s it really.

Edited by blacklight-nero

Their important to me as a I tackle alot of server shutdowns and enjoy getting those Ultra Rare completions before they're gone forever. Then on another side sometimes they are Ultra Rare because it's buggy or janky game that some people gave up on too early and it's fun getting the Ultra Rare in something that others didn't finish.

I'm thinking there's a lot of Pinocchio's to deal out here ? I used to have a friend on PSN he would constantly deny that he cared about URS but almost all the games he would play had at least 1 ur it was hilarious listening to him denying what everyone knew.

• Like 2

Not really. I was asked recently if Ninja Gaiden Sigma is still the hardest game I've played. My response was that I'm really struggling with Atelier Sophie lately. After I finished Sigma I felt like difficulty doesn't matter anymore. It's more about having a good time.

Yes and No. Personally I don't care, (Although I'm currently going for a couple of Ultra Rares at the moment). I think you should play the games you want to play and find games you enjoy. That's going to make getting the platinum much more enjoyable. However, I also see the value in having Ultra Rares on your profile. You tend to view these as a bit more prestigeous since you're part of the few people that have taken that game to its full completion. Kind of a double edge sword because some ultra rares are just ridiculously difficult or tedious to get or the game is just a buggy mess, but that's part of the charm of them I guess.