Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

I used to years back, I wanted to get some ultra-rare plats just to stand out more and not be a typical hunter who has plats only in games like Far Cry 3 or Prototype 2. As years went by I actually developed a taste for UR games, mostly because they required more skill and weren't so boring. But I am guilty of grinding on two consoles for hours upon hours in games like Far Cry 2 or Binary Domain just because the plats are long, not hard. Now I just plan on doing ultra-rare plats if the game is fun and interesting. I have no patience for mindless grinds or self-boosts like I used to. My goal is 100 ultra rare plats, and 1500 ultra rare trophies so that I can be #1 in Poland UR-wise, and I will easily reach this goal by simply playing good but tough games ;D

• Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 10:20 PM, JAK-KRIEG said:

*Quote Redacted*

I'd say be careful making presumptions about someone on their profile generally though. What you may interpret as an obvious pattern or a noteworthy feature on the account may very well be something they haven't even noticed themselves or care very little about if they have. We often just see information like that from our own perspectives, how we'd look at it if it were ours rather than that of the user themselves.

We know some people are obvious with UR farming for sure, say they're not bothered but you see their account littered with numerous games/stacks that are very well known for only really being played for the easy UR farms. But I had a guy in one of my friends groups for example who wasn't even scanned in on PSNP, some conversation came up in a Discord and it led to someone scanning him into PSNP (I think it was to see whether he'd done something in a series, AC I think, not really that important lol) and someone pointed out he happened to have something like 500-600(?) or so URs. Sure, tiny amount compared to UR hunters but to other that's treated as a fairly decent chunk so it became a talking point to a couple folk there and this guy would surely have had no idea prior as to what his PSNP UR count was even at. It seems to me it clearly wasn't motivating his play habits. Now I'm sure he'd at least heard of PSNP before, but I highly doubt they would have been secretly monitoring rarity across the site and avoiding scanning in their profile/signing up in hopes one day a random group would unveil his UR collection xD. The guy wasn't a trophy hunter neither really or even a completionist, he just liked to play a bunch in a load of games and he did fairly heavily make use of the free PS+ library which probably accounts for a good number of them (though there's plenty of other stuff he's done that just so happen to award some UR trophies).

With that in mind, it's not like it's implausible to have someone who may be more of a trophy hunter to have even more URs than he did and not be motivated by or even notice their UR count.

One obvious example would be a trophy hunter who likes fighting games.

Fighting games have a disproportionate number of URs compared to most other genres so someone who's keen to platinum as many fighting games as they can is bound to have a lot of UR trophies but probably couldn't care less/doesn't even know how many they have. Always keep in mind the motivation you think you've spotted may not be the actual motivation behind what they're playing.

Edited by JohnCenaSong-
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I'd say be careful making presumptions about someone on their profile generally though. What you may interpret as an obvious pattern or a noteworthy feature on the account may very well be something they haven't even noticed themselves or care very little about if they have. We often just see information like that from our own perspectives, how we'd look at it if it were ours rather than that of the user themselves.

We know some people are obvious with UR farming for sure, say they're not bothered but you see their account littered with numerous games/stacks that are very well known for only really being played for the easy UR farms. But I had a guy in one of my friends groups for example who wasn't even scanned in on PSNP, some conversation came up in a Discord and it led to someone scanning him into PSNP (I think it was to see whether he'd done something in a series, AC I think, not really that important lol) and someone pointed out he happened to have something like 500-600(?) or so URs. Sure, tiny amount compared to UR hunters but to other that's treated as a fairly decent chunk so it became a talking point to a couple folk there and this guy would surely have had no idea prior as to what his PSNP UR count was even at. It seems to me it clearly wasn't motivating his play habits. Now I'm sure he'd at least heard of PSNP before, but I highly doubt they would have been secretly monitoring rarity across the site and avoiding scanning in their profile/signing up in hopes one day a random group would unveil his UR collection xD. The guy wasn't a trophy hunter neither really or even a completionist, he just liked to play a bunch in a load of games and he did fairly heavily make use of the free PS+ library which probably accounts for a good number of them (though there's plenty of other stuff he's done that just so happen to award some UR trophies).

With that in mind, it's not like it's implausible to have someone who may be more of a trophy hunter to have even more URs than he did and not be motivated by or even notice their UR count.

One obvious example would be a trophy hunter who likes fighting games.

Fighting games have a disproportionate number of URs compared to most other genres so someone who's keen to platinum as many fighting games as they can is bound to have a lot of UR trophies but probably couldn't care less/doesn't even know how many they have. Always keep in mind the motivation you think you've spotted may not be the actual motivation behind what they're playing.

It was meant as a joke... As in not to be taken so seriously. 

Edited by JAK-KRIEG
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

It was meant as a joke... As in not to be taken so seriously. 

A trophy hunter taking things too serious.

Sounds about right 

On topic: Nah don't care much for them.

All these stats for these "difficult"games are mostly based on if someone plays on their alt or not so the data is hardly accurate.

• Like 2

Ever since I started Trophy hunting, I never actually went for Ultra Rare Trophies: I simply play games I enjoy/I think I will enjoy, and I let rare Trophies be earned along the way.

But I got to say that not only am I impressed by seeing profiles of folks with hundreds, if not thousands of Ultra Rares, but that in the future I would love to try hunt them specifically :) I am currently at 198 Ultra Rares, and I am getting closer and closer to the 200 milestone, I would love to increase that number in the future as much as possible :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

You lost me. It was said jokingly what I posted then you post a novel about I have to be careful etc huh?

I don't know why you're trying to create a situation here, you're not the main character, I could have just quoted someone else instead and said the exact same comment. Stop taking it to be about you. It makes no difference if your comment was a joke or not (although there was no indication it was) the comment I made about that subject still remains the same.

If it hurts you so much I can go edit out the quote of you and swap it out for someone else, will that make you happy?

20 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I don't know why you're trying to create a situation here, you're not the main character, I could have just quoted someone else instead and said the exact same comment. Stop taking it to be about you. It makes no difference if your comment was a joke or not (although there was no indication it was) the comment I made about that subject still remains the same.

If it hurts you so much I can go edit out the quote of you and swap it out for someone else, will that make you happy?

Enough just leave it. You still dont understand it seems and it's pointless starting an argument with you I feel.

12 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

it's pointless starting an argument with you I feel.

Well yes, there's no argument to be had and I'm not sure why you're trying to start one... The threads about UR trophies and the subject I was talking about was judging accounts by our sometimes tainted perspectives. There's no beef here, no argument? Not sure what your problem with me is here.

I've been quoted by people starting conversations before in many threads and I don't take it as some kind of personal attack, it's just how forums work.

I can't seem to delete/add new quotes when editing on mobile but I'm going to just remove the text from your quote in my post. I hope now my post no longer offends you.

It depends...

There's a question that needs to be asked: "Why is X an ultra-rare?". 

Is it because the game is really tough? Such titles do not always have low completion rates (see From Software games).

Is it because it's grindy as hell and not many people are willing to put themselves through it? 

Is it because it was given away through PS+ and the rarity of the game is artificially inflated? 

Not all ultra-rares were created equal ?

Crash 4 has roughly the same Platinum percentage as Puppeteer, yet I don't think anybody would ever dispute that the two games are vastly different in terms of time commitment and difficulty.

• Like 1

Nope.  Don't care.  If anything and for whatever reason I hold PSN trophy rarity in a higher regard than PSNP, but at the end of the day, I don't really care either way and it's not something I look at or chase after.  I simply play and platinum the games that interest me and that I enjoy. 

• 1 month later...

I would say no because I don’t go out of my way for UR trophies at all. However, when earning them they will always feel good, like dopamine and adrenaline rush good! It’s like how you can hate it? It’s just nice to see how rare trophies can be, that’s why many have them on their trophy cabinets anyways.

To elaborate on my answer, it is no because I always play games that interest me regardless of genre, I love to try different things. Don’t care if it’s easy or hard, I’ll do what I can and be satisfied with whatever result I get. If it happens to be UR then that’s just more icing on the cake! I feel great after getting a trophy/plat/100%, all feelings of dopamine. More recently I finished the OlliOlli series not too long ago, I didn’t care that it was UR I just wanted to play the games because the skateboard platforming was a thrill and they caught my attention over the years( especially World).

Anyways I feel every trophy earned is a bit more happiness added to your collection overall lol

It depends on the game. i am proud of my ultra rare Crash 4 and Jump King plats, but don't really care too much about some of my other ones. I guess they can be fun to collect, as long as the game is fun and there is some challenge to it, but sometimes you gotta ask yourself, "Why are these trophies ultra rare?" More often than not, it's because the experience going for that particular trophy is extremely un-fun or mind-numbingly tedious. A lot of games with rare or uncommon plats like Fromsoft games are more difficult than many less popular games with UR plats.

There's also the type where you need an elaborate boosting group with 5 or 6 players and you all need to do specific things that are just really unlikely to happen when you play the game normally. They aren't really that hard to get, and not really all that impressive in my opinion. In the end I guess it all depends on how you feel about the UR you earned, and if you are proud of it and/or enjoyed earning it. 

Edited by JilllSandwich

Of course. For me, rare and ultra rare platinum are the only thing it’s worth to talk about. Not to be rude, but no one care if you obtain “djingo djongo chancko” platinum in 20 minutes, JP/EU/PS4/PSVITA/PS5 version. Trophy hunting should be a “worth” hunt… you know, capture a lion it’s not equal to capture a cat…a dead cat I would say. So for me a profile with 30 platinum that are REAL platinum is 100 times better the a profile with 300 platinum that are only 2 pixels games that could run even in an old Nokia 3310. 

• Like 2

i even want to begin hunting for ultra rare trophies since they are extremely hard to unlock in generally so they are worth to hunt them they give something extra in the trophie cabinet on the account i found out ultra rare trophies are no joke to unlock but common uncommon trophies are just general trophies that can be unlocked every day a ultra rare trophie not