PhantomFear94

Yes or No? Your Opinion On Adding NG+ Trophies Post Launch

56 posts in this topic

I don’t see how them adding free content by updating their game can be considered a bad thing. When devs don’t patch or update their games they’re often called lazy or incompetent but when they do it’s annoying? Trophy hunters make up a very small percentage of gamers so i doubt devs give a shit that your platinum went down by a couple % because they added new trophies. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are more trophy hunters who don’t care than trophy hunters that care. 

 

Completionists make up a minority in a minority. 

 

Crash Bandicoot: Warped’s DLC took an entire year to come out after the trilogy was released. People on here got mad because they had to redownload the games. I actually didn’t mind going back to it to get those two DLC trophies.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the fact that NG+ trophies are added. Maybe I won’t get the trophy right after NG+ is released, but it gives me some more incentive to come back to the game after a couple of months to give it another playthrough.

 

I could see how people don’t appreciate it if they’re doing multiple playthroughs back-to-back because things can get stale, but I see it as a reason to give the game another go at a later date. Get more bang for my buck ;)

 

Of course, if you don’t like NG+ trophies, it’s usually only 1-2 trophies. Skipping them won’t destroy your completion rate.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the game for me. The only game I've had add a NG+ trophy was Spider-Man and that was pretty bad considering that game isn't very fun a second time around. Gears of War 4 on Xbox added multiple achievements for extra campaign runs and that got old fast. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo the games that are adding ng+ implement it stupidly; like why on earth do I want to replay HZD after I've maxed out everything? Even adding the ultra hard difficulty; it's going to be negated by my upgrades. Plus, I have the other dlc which is what I would rather play. God of war was alright because no trophies = totally optional for people who do care about their trophies, but again there doesn't seem to be much point outside of going through the story again maybe on a higher difficulty. I liked both these games but they only deserve one playthrough imo. I have too many games in my backlog to have to keep going back to ones I've already played.

Edited by coldsphinx93
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to get any DLC trophies. It doesnt mess with the plat, and tbh not many games seem to add DLC trophies now a days. heck, im annoyed when games add new content, and DONT add trophies. 

 

if they add NG+ trophies, then fine, I guess, seems like a good excuse to replay a game. I wouldn't return otherwise. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 1:58 AM, NaseemJohn said:

Trophy hunters make up a very small percentage of gamers so i doubt devs give a shit that your platinum went down by a couple % because they added new trophies. 

 

This argument makes zero sense in this context. The whole point of the thread is to discuss why developers add NG+ trophies, not an NG+ mode. While I think it's debatable that a tacked on NG+ after the fact should be praised as "adding new content", the fact that a developer adds a trophy for this content is speaking entirely to the trophy community.

 

On 4/6/2019 at 4:35 PM, Spaz said:

There are more trophy hunters who don’t care than trophy hunters that care. 

 

Completionists make up a minority in a minority. 

 

But again, the only people who are likely to come back to a game after the implementation of an NG+ trophy is this "minority of a minority. The rank and file trophy hunter is likely to have long ago moved on to greener pastures (why spend hours on NG+ when you can just play another game, if you don't care about completion percentage).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

But again, the only people who are likely to come back to a game after the implementation of an NG+ trophy is this "minority of a minority. The rank and file trophy hunter is likely to have long ago moved on to greener pastures (why spend hours on NG+ when you can just play another game, if you don't care about completion percentage).

 

A good number of people don’t do DLC, and therefore they likely won’t do NG+. 

 

I did Horizon Zero Dawn twice, the second time around I had the Shield Weaver outfit which made everything a lot easier. The playthrough took around 8 hours. 

 

Marvel’s Spider-Man basically just copy and pasted that for it’s own NG+, which looks no different than how Horizon Zero Dawn does it. 

 

Realistically, we had to play multiple playthroughs for a bunch of our games anyway. A lot of the people complaining are trying to hold onto their precious 97 - 100 percent average completion rate. 

 

I’m perfectly fine with 92.9 percent completion. I think some of us take trophy hunting far too seriously because we get bent out of shape when new DLC comes out. 

 

Now of course, this all depends on the game. The Soulsborne games have an actual purpose for playing them multiple times. Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel’s Spider-Man both throw on a tacked on New Game Plus mode that doesn’t add a whole lot to the games. So if people are complaining about that then I can definitely see why. 

Edited by Spaz
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have a problem with it at all. If they're not there from the start then it is usually the case you need only play the game once in most cases to get the platinum trophy, and that's where you can stop if you so wish. If they're added then it's an excuse to go back to the game after you've beaten it and taken a break. But many games require at least a partial replay for the platinum anyway so I don't see how it is too big of a stretch to replay for a few more trophies, especially when the update and NG+ mode is free.

 

Way I see it is, people seem to be whining a lot these days about "replay value" and their perceived lack of it in AAA single-player games- because somehow grinding fruitlessly for weeks or even months in these bullshit "live service" [read in Jim Sterling's voice] games is apparently a much better experience- when in actuality a game needs only to be good in order to actually have replay value. But adding trophies also gives it that. Plus, playing through a story a second time can be really awesome.

Edited by Stan Lee
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part, I enjoy when devs add a new game plus trophy. New Game plus, as a feature, can be really neat if the developers implement it well- like people have said, look at games like Dark Souls. I’m on my NG+4 run on Dark Souls 3 just because I absolutely love those games, and they tend to get a lot tougher with new enemies and harder-hitting move sets each time you ‘restart’ the game. 

 

I’m all for playing a game again with all the goodies unlocked on the toughest difficulty, the NG+ playthroughs end up being speed runs most of the time. That being said, however, there are a few games that got New Game Plus that I don’t know if I ever plan on going back to or even trying for- the Amnesia collection and Far Cry 5 being prime examples.

 

 

TLDR: NG+ with ‘new features’ to make the game ‘fresh’ is what I prefer, but I’ll gladly play through a badass game like Horizon or Spider-Man again if I had to.

Edited by Hoagie324
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaz said:

A good number of people don’t do DLC, and therefore they likely won’t do NG+. 

 

I did Horizon Zero Dawn twice, the second time around I had the Shield Weaver outfit which made everything a lot easier. The playthrough took around 8 hours. 

 

Marvel’s Spider-Man basically just copy and pasted that for it’s own NG+, which looks no different than how Horizon Zero Dawn does it. 

 

Realistically, we had to play multiple playthroughs for a bunch of our games anyway. A lot of the people complaining are trying to hold onto their precious 97 - 100 percent average completion rate. 

 

I’m perfectly fine with 92.9 percent completion. I think some of us take trophy hunting far too seriously because we get bent out of shape when new DLC comes out. 

 

Now of course, this all depends on the game. The Soulsborne games have an actual purpose for playing them multiple times. Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel’s Spider-Man both throw on a tacked on New Game Plus mode that doesn’t add a whole lot to the games. So if people are complaining about that then I can definitively see why. 

 

Lots of stuff to answer here, but I bolded one particular statement. In many of those cases, people cuss under their breath at the fact that you have to finish a game multiple times. It's not really any different from people cussing about a tacked on NG+ that supposedly "adds value", but in reality, just adds time. I don't think anyone loved Squaresoft for making people play KH on the PS3 three separate times for trophies. 

 

As far as people taking trophy hunting too seriously, that's a bit too preachy for my taste. I take trophy hunting relatively seriously. I don't think that people who take it more seriously than me are taking it too seriously, though (neither do I think that people who take it less seriously aren't being serious enough).

 

You mention the Souls games, and I agree. That's a good way of doing NG+. Horizon (my main experience with a DLC NG+ trophy), on the other hand, is a disappointment. I started an NG+ playthrough, with the shield weave, and was bored after about an hour. It just seemed like a cynical way of keeping people playing the game with little effort on the devs part. Now, that's obviously opinion; other posters might love playing through NG+ ultra-mega mode while fully overpowered, or while severely underpowered, or whatever, and that's fine. 

 

But the devs seemed to add the trophy solely to grab trophy hunters with their added value. Maybe those hunters are taking the hobby too seriously. But it seems the devs are counting on that devotion to bring people back for an otherwise-lackluster experience.

 

If your game is good, I'll come back to it. Don't try to bribe me with a trophy. And if you do, at least make the new experience worthwhile on its own merits.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NG+ should add more to a game than simply just replaying for a trophy. But I dont know how that would be implemented.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends how it's implemented. 

 

I didn't mind in games like Bloodborne or any of the Dark Souls, since I wanted to play through the games multiple times anyways. Won't mind with Sekiro either once I'm done with my NG playthrough. But those games knew how to implement NG+ cycles in an interesting way.

Hyper Light Drifter had also nice take on NG+.. In NG+ you only have 2 blocks of health and cannot increase that number, meaning that most enemies will kill you in 1 hit. Good preparation for the "no-death"-run. 😅

 

But if the game is just exactly the same, then I don't see the point. Most recent example is Darksiders III. There is no reason whatsoever to go back to that game. Still, NG+ launched this weekend with 3 trophies. Apart from some random "red-eyed" enemies that spawn throughout the NG+ mode, nothing changed. All the pickups are still the same, the rewards are the same, there is nothing there to make a second playthrough worthwhile. In such cases, yes, I do mind. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really mind if it's from the start. Usually when I finish a game the first round I've got the skill and knowledge where to go so I usually end up speedrunning it anyways.

Adding it later is just a bitch move as I have to get back into the game and relearn everything.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you don’t like replaying games lol. 

 

I love NG+ and want it in everything so when I replay I don’t have to just start a new game. I like having access to my abilities and weapons earlier. Replaying PvZ on PC his is probably the 6 or 7th time I’ve played through the main campaign. And it has what would amount to NG+ so you can go through the campaign again with different, better, plants. 

 

I would rather it be in the game from the start just so it’s on the disc. Don’t really care if there’s a trophy for it tbh

Edited by Elvick_
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan. Its a cheap DLC cash grab. Move the sliders up a little more for a few bucks. DLC should be added content, not the same content but harder.

 

* I feel the same way about having to "unlock" higher difficulties by playing through the SAME game at an easier level. Its dumb. At least add a character with different skills and abilities so its not exactly the same.

Edited by audiopile
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KainDMD said:

There's too many one and done gamers these days

 

Well no. We play a lot of games multiple times through. But if you’re going to add a NG+ mode that is just tacked on, especially for games like Far Cry 5 and Marvel’s Spider-Man that were already easy in the first place, then I don’t really see the point. 

 

We already do more than the average person, who just completes a story of a game and moves on, never bothering to go back to it. 

 

3 hours ago, audiopile said:

Not a fan. Its a cheap DLC cash grab. Move the sliders up a little more for a few bucks. DLC should be added content, not the same content but harder.

 

In a way yes. 

Edited by Spaz
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't look at this from a trophy hunter perspective and with that I like NG+, it gives me a chance to use the skills and equipment I've earned and use them again in a new playthrough. That's something greatly appreciative in genres like JRPGs as it keeps you from having to grind or doing other time consuming activities needed to move on. If it's added long after the fact, that doesn't bother me, it gives a small incentive to pick that game up again later on down the line. Really, I don't even know how someone could even complain about a NEW option in a game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Spaz said:

 

Well no. We play a lot of games multiple times through. But if you’re going to add a NG+ mode that is just tacked on, especially for games like Far Cry 5 and Marvel’s Spider-Man that were already easy in the first place, then I don’t really see the point. 

 

We already do more than the average person, who just completes a story of a game and moves on, never bothering to go back to it. 

 

 

In a way yes. 

People just play a game once looking up all missables so they dont have to redo it. Even resi and dmc people only played once and were done with it. Onto the next game, they don't have time to stay and master one game like I do it

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KainDMD said:

People just play a game once looking up all missables so they dont have to redo it. Even resi and dmc people only played once and were done with it. Onto the next game, they don't have time to stay and master one game like I do it

 

Time isn’t a good excuse. 

 

I do the same thing. Consort a guide for any missables to save the hassle of having to do them later on. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 4:07 PM, KainDMD said:

There's too many one and done gamers these days

That is the way we played in the past. Once you found every secret in a game or simply beat it, kids were finished. Not every game is meant to be replayed. I don’t know how old any of you are, but I think it comes down to whether or not you want to and have the time to play the game again. I know I have slowed way down because of real life. I generally play at my own pace and I tend to stay away from online stuff that puts my id at risk for unobtainables. That approach has helped me. I think it really comes down to “you doing you.”

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019. 04. 17. at 1:25 AM, Spaz said:

 

Time isn’t a good excuse. 

 

I do the same thing. Consort a guide for any missables to save the hassle of having to do them later on. 

It is a good excuse because I don't want to waste another hundred hour of my tme just because I missed something 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.