Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?

Undead Wolf

Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be changed?

• It's outdated and should be changed (be sure to post if you have a better idea than mine)
    • It's perfect the way it is now

5 hours ago, diskdocx said:

You aren't getting anywhere near the top of the boards on EZPZs alone.

There are many ways already to track the trophy values, but will make little change overall to rankings for most individuals.

This depends on what you consider the "top" and what you consider "EZPZ." There are currently almost exactly 1000 platinums above a 50% rarity and/or take less than 12 hours real time to complete. Doing them all would effectively put you near the top 100 as it is now.  Also, the current prototype rarity leaderboard ranks me in the top 1000, a HUGE difference.

~~~~~~

Anyway, assigning a point value has its advantages. Games without platinums would be much more equal to games with platinums.  If there is a consensus on what the "average" platinum time / skill / effort should be, then all platinums could (subjectively) be representative to that in the form of a score.

• Like 4

I'm kind of okay with the current system, but there are things that can be improved:

• A platinum trophy for all games
  • Platinums should require some kind of effort (although you can't really quantify this, but as said previously, making sure that even the best playtesters can't achieve a platinum under 2-3 hours, or so)
  • Platinums shouldn't require online exclusive trophies except for games that are always online
  • The ability to delete trophies for a single game (for "cousin" cheaters and for those who'd like to re-do faster) or introducing another tier of trophy indicating that you've completed the game more times (wouldn't have a high value, maybe even zero)
  • Sony or the devs should make sure that there are no cloud save autopops, it's just nonsense
  • DLC trophies should be limited so that they don't drop a platinumed game to 60%
9 minutes ago, QQQ_AX said:

Stop letting users back up saves to USB, you idiots. 

What? Not everyone is a trophy hunter and not everyone lives at one place.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:03 AM, fbdbh said:

What? Not everyone is a trophy hunter and not everyone lives at one place.

I think a profile that has done every single Arcade Archives is more impressive than some one-off hotshot tryhard that has a hard game or two done like DMC5 or Sekiro.

On 4/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, TheYuriG said:

This is a funny topic because on the bot I'm building, I'm actually creating an optional command which will detract everything above 50% from your profile. Your total trophies will take a fall regardless if you don't play EZPZ, since starting trophies are already usually above 50%. Once I'm done going through the process of coding that command, I'll get back here and post the results from my own profile for comparison.

I would be interested in a way to take away all trophy points (level) from a profile of incomplete games and only count the score of 100% complete games (Platinum but incomplete DLC don't count).

Edited by QQQ_AX
  • Like 2

The only thing that should change is that games like Prairie or Mayo shouldn't get plats (and I have the Mayo trophies, nothing wrong with them, but plats should require a certain level of skill and dedication).

Of course new features could improve the system, but this is different from saying that things need to change.

I do like your idea about the point system being based on rarity though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

The only thing that should change is that games like Prairie or Mayo shouldn't get plats (and I have the Mayo trophies, nothing wrong with them, but plats should require a certain level of skill and dedication).

Of course new features could improve the system, but this is different from saying that things need to change.

I do like your idea about the point system being based on rarity though.

I think I once heard that there's a bias with approval processes at Sony America or Europe and unfair relationships with certain developers that lead to games like Mayo getting a Platinum.

That needs to stop happening.

This didn't really happen on PS3 because things were more clear and clean. Retail games were large games that had a Platinum. Small games were digital only that had a 100%. Nowadays publishers blur the lines of what is a retail and digital game, with so many digital coming retail or even releasing at-launch on both. And no one is there anymore to step in and say "this crap doesn't deserve a Platinum".

The best time for all of this was back when the Playstation Store did not get any retail games available. The store was all digital-only games. If you wanted the games with Platinum you had to get retail discs except rare cases like Wipeout HD (which did eventually get a disc copy). I think the Playstation Store only started getting retail games on download around 2011. Another reason why the golden days of trophies is 2008-2011.

Edited by QQQ_AX
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, QQQ_AX said:

I think I once heard that there's a bias with approval processes at Sony America or Europe and unfair relationships with certain developers that lead to games like Mayo getting a Platinum.

That needs to stop happening.

This didn't really happen on PS3 because things were more clear and clean. Retail games were large games that had a Platinum. Small games were digital only that had a 100%. Nowadays publishers blur the lines of what is a retail and digital game, with so many digital coming retail or even releasing at-launch on both. And no one is there anymore to step in and say "this crap doesn't deserve a Platinum".

Maybe of Sony actually gave rewards for platinums consistently they wouldn't allow them to be handed out with such abandon.

The other option is to just give every game a platinum of course, which I'm not opposed to, but give actual points based on rarity.

33 minutes ago, QQQ_AX said:

I would be interested in a way to take away all trophy points (level) from a profile of incomplete games and only count the score of 100% complete games (Platinum but incomplete DLC don't count).

That would be a plan for another time because I would have to parse information from all the incomplete games and then remove all of those points from your major total. It could totally happen at some point, but not anytime soon i'm afraid. Specially since this site won't load all your games at once without doing some funky shit.

• Like 2

I think it's safe to say that the few people at Sony that cared about trophies are long gone. So don't expect an update to Sony's system any time soon. The PSN level being capped at 100 has been pretty tragic for some time now and could (should) have been fixed long ago.

If you want to see any other changes, you should advocate for them on this site. But what you should not ever expect is Sony to implement changes to suit PSNP statistics. Let's take rarity for example, it means very little on PSN itself. Almost every plat is ultra rare there.

And in the end, we should not forget how this site (and ones like it) are part of 'the problem' too. People primarily use cheesy-easy-peasy plat stacking to gain as many spots on the leaderboards as they can in a short time. It's not so much for their PSN trophy card as it is for this site and others like it.

Companies like Ratalaika make a living off of PSNP more than off of PSN itself. Why do you think they have such an  active presence here? Because they know where to market their 10 minute plat games. WE are part of the problem and the longer we deny that and put it all on Sony's doorstep, the longer any 'solution' will take.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, FawltyPowers said:

4) I would like multiplayer pvp trophies to be removed. Multiplayer trophies completely devalue the multiplayer experience for those who just want to play the game normally. People who play multiplayer pvp are doing it to try and top leaderboards, they don't care about trophies. Have an online leaderboard rank on their profile instead. Imagine being able to see a leaderboard rank on here and the competition that would create. For games that are just pvp then the game would still be added to your profile but there would be no trophies and instead just an online rank.

Ah when you're playing multiplayer and somebody's jumping around in a corner or something, "I'm doing this for a trophy" is written all over it, while your team is losing.

• Like 3

@BlindMango Dont agree with the limit of 4 Gold and 10 Silver in a title. For instance take No Mans Sky, Thief (2014) , Driveclub and for a part Terminator Salvation. These games take either skill or effort to attain. These kind of games make me have fun in gaming. I know I too have a few more then questionable trophy list games. Mostly brought to me by friends who joke around.

But still you can see there are enough games that require effort or skill.

But i do agree with you that some games are a joke in trophy to skill/effort wise. But in the end it is the players choice to play them or not.

@fbdbh a platinum for all games is not good games like mayo in my opinion does not deserve a platinum, a game like Another World does but did not include one.

DLC trophy wise is a little questionable on one hand yes i agree but on the other hand if there is a lot of (good quality) DLC`s i dont mind.

7 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

The only change I want from the system is the ability to delete games from your profile once you earn a trophy in them. Most games give you a trophy within the first few minutes, thus making the 0% deletion option almost worthless.

Edit: The shovelware also needs to stop.

Sony also needs to change it where if you hide a game, it takes away the trophy points. Right now, short sighted and stupid, when hiding a game the gamer still keeps the points. Great work, Sony. What will they invent for PS5 that ruins trophies even more?

For the shovelware thing, FYI I think PS has doubled or even tripled the amount of trophy games now than Xbox. Xbox was around years before trophies, starting in 2005, and had a monopoly for many years allowing it to gain a lot of games, shovelware and not. Even with those numbers, the intense amount of shit that Sony has let in with the PS4 generation has outdone Xbox's entire history by multiple amounts.

47 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

That would be a plan for another time because I would have to parse information from all the incomplete games and then remove all of those points from your major total. It could totally happen at some point, but not anytime soon i'm afraid. Specially since this site won't load all your games at once without doing some funky shit.

What about others sites that load the entire list at once like PSNTL?

Edited by QQQ_AX

i voted that its outdated. its extremely outdated. they need to make it so that every game has an in-game trophy tracker especially for open world games/rpgs or trophies that requires farming/grinding.

the trophy system also needs a search function for a particular game when going through your trophy list as its just cumbersome to scroll through your entire list everytime youre looking for a certain game.

9 minutes ago, QQQ_AX said:

What about others sites that load the entire list at once like PSNTL?

PSNTL does something called "loadlate" where it will only start downloading your list once it's done loading the rest of the page. I can still probably load from there though. Would have to look it up.

I think there should be a rarity grade lower than common. Instead we could give out digital wooden spoons rather than free platinum trophies, that actually minus points off your overall leaderboard score.

#woodenSpoonsMatter

Edited by KaKrackle

I've personally stopped buying Ratalaika games. Getting 2 plats in under an hour is fun at first, but now? Meh. LIke, Maybe I'll buy some in the future, but not for a while. 

And I agree with the dude who said there needs to be a trophy for booting the game. I've seen people ''speed run'' certain platinum by making sure to not register any trophies, complete like 99% ofr the trophy objective, then finish the things in one fell swoop. Those are rare, and the games that allow that kind of stuff also is rare, but still, it would give an extra challenge to the speedrunners.

I think they also should stop making online trophies. I bought Modnationracers on the Vita, thinking I'd get some of the online trophies, but nope, server closed. They should at least patch the games so there's a way to get those online trophies offline (when and only when the servers closes)

Leaderboard trophies need to go. ''Be 1st in the leaderboard for level X'' trophies are just plain dumb. The only trophies I ever got for this were in 2 little big planet game. IIRC LB2, in which I got a perfect score (got all bubbles and didn't die) so I was first, alongside hundreads of player, and in LBP Karting, where I was the first to play someone else's track, thus I was automatically first place.

10 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

i voted that its outdated. its extremely outdated. they need to make it so that every game has an in-game trophy tracker especially for open world games/rpgs or trophies that requires farming/grinding.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sony (or Microsoft and Steam for their acheivement system for that matter) can actually do that. Though I agree that developper should do that. RDR2 was a step in the right direction. It didn't tell us the tracker for missable trophies, but it's easy to check your Honor level, the compendium, challenge and gold medal list, all of which have trophies attached to it. Also, let's not forget that it'd be hard to make a tracker for games that offer single and multiplayer mode, as often, they each have their own save file (RDR2 is again, an example. Your file with Arthur/John is tied to your console/PSplus cloud, while your RDO file is tied to R* servers.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrueMrBubbles said:

I like the way you think it should be with Points based on some kind of rarity 

PSN Trophy Leaders already does this:

https://(URL not allowed)/

There is a leaderboard rankings for rarity. Probably the only thing I really value aside from Completist.

12 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Well, or one, they should allow you to delete games from your trophy list regardless of completion percentage, at the very least in cases of server shutdowns or glitched trophies. Failing that, hiding them from yourself the same way you can hide Z-grade PS+ game you're never going to play from your library is a livable middle ground.

PSNP should follow suit and remove vitrified trophies that are unobtainable from any subsite that displays unearned trophies... advisor, etc. At the very least it should be an option. Options affect nobody apart from Duke Amiel du H'ardcore and his gatekeeping "prestige gamer" ilk, who should just get off the bus already anyway.

This is basically deleting a part of your history.

If you didn't get the platinum in time, then tough luck. But asking for entire games to simply be wiped out from your trophy list history is just ridiculous.

12 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Trophy system is fine. Only change I would make is to give every game a plat. 

Really this post is just a variation on the weekly EZPZ games suck argument. The trophy system is not devalued by short plats. This site probably skews it, but the top of the leaderboard would not change at all if you removed all the short games, as virtually everyone has them. The only people that would be positively or negatively effected are those that have only short plats - and you aren't getting anywhere near the top of the boards on EZPZs alone.

Furthermore, most games are significantly more rare on PSN than here on this site. My score would be much higher if you went off PSN rarity than PSNP rarity.

There are many ways already to track the trophy values, but will make little change overall to rankings for most individuals.

Some of those top guys have team accounts, which most aren't going to admit.

You have to play an average of 12 - 18 hours a day trophy hunting, and I can tell you from past experience that playing for rankings on the leaderboards isn't worth the effort.

Hakoom plays for many hours every day and he has been trophy hunting for over 10 years. So have most of those other guys on the front page.

The statistics on PSN track EVERYBODY, not just those who have an account on PSNProfiles. Rarity doesn't mean jack shit on PSN, because a bunch of easy games that I completed are hovering around a Very Rare - Ultra Rare, and there was nothing skill based about those titles when I played through them.

12 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Oh dear... This better not be a repeat of that other topic which should not be mentioned.

Obviously the thread I made that got locked.

• Like 2

I am in no way a trophy hunter, but if I had my way I would make three changes to the current system. Firstly, I think all games should have a platinum. Having these 100% without a platinum is stupid if you ask me. Second, you should be able to delete any game off your list regardless of percentage. That way I could wipe some of those games I tried but hated, yet they still sit on my list because I earned one piss easy trophy at the start.

And the final thing I've always wanted is a trophy cabinet that shows all the platinums you've earned, similar to XBOX having the section that listed all the games you'd got every achievement on. Also I think it would be cool if each platinum had a cool individual looking trophy and not just an image so the trophy cabinet could be like a visual thing. Example: God of War could have like a trophy statue of Kratos and Atreus back to back or something like that. I know it'll probably never happen, but it would be cool if it did.

Edited by ForceGrip86

one thing i want to see which was popular on the Xbox 360 is a PSN trophy community system added. 

So they are not tied to any particular game and they are organised by Sony themselves which you can participate in say certain competitions that are time limited to a certain date and time. So for example 

Tuning into the PlayStation Experience event "Gold Trophy unlocked" with some statistics of how many people did this and the option to have it highlighted on your PSN card.

Buying a PS5 in the first week of release and unlocking a trophy for owning a PS5 (i have one of these on achievements similar on my Xbox 360 really cool to have) 

Having ability to customise your PSN card with certain trophies you loved similar to the PSNP trophy cabinet

Trophy stat tracker!!!

trophy statistics just needs to happen really similar to the layout of the Xbox like how many kills for this 1000 kills trophy so yeah a trophy progress tracker in-game this would help a lot with broken games that may not register kills or other trophy-related activities. 

Otherwise it would be nice to also when it comes to trophy stacks to have Europe, Australia and North America unified then Asia unified to keep them to a lower count also because they are all English speaking territories would make sense. (could be some flaw in this) Least this way does not matter where you buy your game features like cross-saving and cross-buying would work fine as i recently found out i can't use my Trails of Cold Steel NA version save or download DLC for the Vita unless i have a PS3 NA version to do that then cross-save the DLC items over.... so irritating.

8 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Dude... That's harsh. Those developers put their effort into their games and you want to ban them because you hate effortless trophies? That's cold, dude.

>shovelware

>effort 

b7d.jpg

Btw dont put words in my mouth, I stated effortless trophy lists shouldnt be allowed regardless if they were from shovelware or not, and then I stated that shovelware developers should be banned from publishing their trash (regardless of effortless trophy lists or not) on the store which is completely different from your strawman statement.

Edited by INinjaRaidenI
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Sony really needs to cut down on these 'shovelware' trophy lists with 15 minute platinums which are repeated 6 times over (6 worthless platinums) for a single game. They need to make standards, like if a game has a platinum trophy it must have 4 gold trophies max, 10 silver max, and the rest bronze, and the platinum cannot be earned within 2 hours. It's unbelievable to see games with a platinum and all the rest gold (no silver or bronze) which you get in mere minutes which are just completely devaluing the usefulness of the system. Getting a platinum trophy no longer is a quick indicator that you put actual effort into a game - leaving sites like this to eventually probably have to make some sort of new indicator to show effort if this mess continues.

Besides Sony's complete lack of care of list organization now, the core system itself as it functions still holds up well to this day :P

The big change between now and back in the Playstation 3 era is the amount of shovelware games that have come through the pike. Steam basically started the whole trend of having a bunch of shovelware games that nobody put any effort into making just so they could make a few quick bucks.

Besides that, as people already mentioned, it's pretty sad when a shitty developer relies on communities like this to sell their games because most casuals wouldn't bother with such crap. Therefore that's why we have six stacks of the games Jack n' Jill DX and Fullblast. I could of done those games back when I was 5 years old when I struggled to play through old NES and SNES games.

There is no standard. Sonic Mania has no platinum, yet these shitty games get six different stacks for platinums. Obviously I'm going to value completing Sonic Mania much higher because at least that game takes some effort, even though it was a lot of fun when I played it.

7 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

I think a change of sorts would be good. It is kinda dumb that a 10/10 difficulty and 200+ hour platinum has the exact same value in the current system as someones second stack of My Name Is Mayo. Platinums have been devalued greatly by now, as mentioned it is easy to collect 100 platinums in way less than a month by just stacking crappy games on top of each other that serve no other purpose than to boost the platinum number. I am not affected much by it because I do not really care about leaderboards, I judge someones account based on what games are on it, how high the average rarity is etc, but i can understand that people who do care about it get kinda fed up with trophy whores stacking and piling shit up.

If a monumental change in the system or the implementation of new types of trophies are too much to ask, and if Sony can't really be bothered to have some standards, maybe just adding a few extra leaderboards that exclude people who fill their accounts with crap to get high on the normal leaderboards is sufficient enough. I can live with either, I build up my account knowing that I will never rank high in any leaderboard, new or old, due to my late start and the fact that I just can't play the hours some of the top people do.

It might be a disgusting term, but it fits the players in question perfectly, for their chosen path to play is disgusting in itself. They have every right to play what they want of course, none of my business, but if I see someone with a 60% rarity and 3-5 stacks of every known trophy whore game on their profile I can't help but shudder and shame them a bit. Basically paying money for trophies only, doing the same shitty games multiple times in a row and shroud every good game or impressive achievement between hundreds of crap games and their stacks. One does not have to be an elitist to think this behavior is simply off putting, and actually bad for the industry as it encourages these developers when hundreds of trophy whores flood in to buy 3-5 stacks of their non effort games. Most casuals already think the average trophy hunter is weird, imagine explaining to them that something like this exists.

The developers are con artists. You have to sink pretty low to rely on a community like this one to exclusively get into your games.

As many problems as I have with modern AAA games, I rank shitty indie games that are broken and cheap to be a lot worse.

I could be around 15,000 trophies by now if I took the "whoring" thing seriously. I did this for a short while with Sound Shapes and Orc Slayer, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

3 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

I guess the answer might also depend on whether the person asked cares about leaderboards or not. Not to reignite that conversation, but with all the garbage that can be played nowadays, the leaderboards are neither beginner-friendly (try catching up to the top players if you start hunting today...) nor skill-involved. To me, a leaderboard for an activity that doesn't involve skill doesn't make much sense, which is why personally I don't care about those. Hence: I don't play trash games with easy plats. 

Honestly, I think I couldn't bare looking at my profile it it was flooded with those types of games... 

So, does the system need an overhaul? Well I'd like to see Sony regulate the games they put on their store a bit more. Myself I'll never throw money at all that shit, but plenty of players are throwing money down the developer's throats just to inflate their trophy numbers, and that's made possible by the nonexistent regulations that are in place. Wasn't it the dev of the masterpiece "Little Adventures on the Prairie" that openly admitted in an interview that he released that game together with a ridiculously easy trophy list simply to sell it to trophy hunters and finance his next project from the revenue? Ain't that being a monumental dickhead?

Hence, to me, the system needs an overhaul not because the current system devalues trophies - which it does -, but because it supports the shitty practices some developers have made their standard. 

Which is exactly why I made that thread about the rankings. This response is what I was trying to get into people, but instead I was attacking simply for being offensive and this notion that I was encroaching onto their space because they value trophies so highly above everything else.

At the end of the day, I play to have fun. Every once in a blue moon I like to play games that challenge me a bit, such as the game I'm currently on. But I'm not trying to prove I'm good or that I need to stack game after game just to inflate something that really doesn't matter all that much.

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I think it's safe to say that the few people at Sony that cared about trophies are long gone. So don't expect an update to Sony's system any time soon. The PSN level being capped at 100 has been pretty tragic for some time now and could (should) have been fixed long ago.

If you want to see any other changes, you should advocate for them on this site. But what you should not ever expect is Sony to implement changes to suit PSNP statistics. Let's take rarity for example, it means very little on PSN itself. Almost every plat is ultra rare there.

And in the end, we should not forget how this site (and ones like it) are part of 'the problem' too. People primarily use cheesy-easy-peasy plat stacking to gain as many spots on the leaderboards as they can in a short time. It's not so much for their PSN trophy card as it is for this site and others like it.

Companies like Ratalaika make a living off of PSNP more than off of PSN itself. Why do you think they have such an  active presence here? Because they know where to market their 10 minute plat games. WE are part of the problem and the longer we deny that and put it all on Sony's doorstep, the longer any 'solution' will take.

For some people it's a numbers game.

I'm not bashing anybody for the games they play. But this attitude of having to get as many trophies as you possibly can is a bit twisted in my opinion.

The problem is when you get a company of hacks that throw out a game in one quick weekend in somebody's shitty garage, and that gets passed because people on this website decided to buy their game and complete it, it slowly becomes the standard. But Sony doesn't care because apparently any shitty game can make it to PSN, without any quality control.

1 hour ago, FawltyPowers said:

I think it's time now for Sony to insist all games feature a platinum for consistencies sake or at least have a standard that games have to adhere to in order to feature a platinum trophy. It's turning into a complete mess.

I never had any complaints with some games like Sonic Mania which do not have a platinum.

While I agree that games like it should have a platinum, there is really no standard anymore when it comes to exactly what gets a platinum and what doesn't.

Hitman 2 having over 100 trophies WITHOUT A PLATINUM while a game like The Witness which has a bunch of gold trophies AND A PLATINUM tells you the story right there.

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

the trophy system also needs a search function for a particular game when going through your trophy list as its just cumbersome to scroll through your entire list everytime youre looking for a certain game.

Games have done this for over 10 years now. It's nothing new.

I will agree that more games need to have an in-game tracker. It's pretty aggravating when you're grinding some trophies and you have no idea how much further you need to go.

PSN needs to have that search option. Right now you have to scroll down hundreds of games to find the game you're looking for, which is pretty inefficient and slow.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, MMX20 said:

I agree with this post. I mean, who cares about achieving something that you should be proud of? Most gamers like us play for fun and it doesn't matter if you earn or don't earn platinum trophies, it's about having fun.

Yes it is about fun. But it becomes a problem if some players avoid certain games because they are too hard or too long. Than your hobby of achieving platinums stands over actual gaming. Which is fine I guess but something I really don't understand. I also think that the word "achievement" means that you have to achive something (duh). Participation trophies devalued trophies within our bubble and I think it is necessary to talk about it. Commercialization is a big problem in many fields (hobbies, sports, movies, games, etc.) and is now a problem with this hobby. I don't wanna argue that the amount of shovel ware in the PS-Store is that huge because of developers providing a market for "trophy whores" but it probably has a little to do with it.

• Like 1