A Guide to Telltale Games Availability (NA)

dottyduke1

2 minutes ago, AK-1138 said:

And this just goes to show that the only way you can sleep soundly when a game is beholden to a labyrinthine Byzantine gauntlet of rights holders and intellectual property licensees is by buying the physical copy.

Pro effing tip.

If you bought a digital copy, you can still play the game just like you can with a physical copy. The games that are digital only are likely to not have ever been made if it had to be made on disk- do you really think any big box store will give shelf space to a Strong Bad game? 

The only pro tip here is that, if you want to play a game, then buy the game and not wait 8 years and then be surprised when it's gone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

If you bought a digital copy, you can still play the game just like you can with a physical copy. The games that are digital only are likely to not have ever been made if it had to be made on disk- do you really think any big box store will give shelf space to a Strong Bad game? 

The only pro tip here is that, if you want to play a game, then buy the game and not wait 8 years and then be surprised when it's gone. 

Exactly, i find it funny when people complain about a game getting delisted when its been on store for years. 

4 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

They’re gone permanently. You can’t find them on Xbox One, Steam or the PS Store. 

This is why pirating exists because there’s been an awful lot of digital content that was removed due to licensing expiring and copyright rules being in place. A lot of Activision published games, including Transformers: Devastation are no longer available digitally anywhere, and I’ve checked all the big internet gaming websites. 

This is why I always buy games physically whenever there is a copy. I have the physical versions of Shovel Knight and both of the original Megaman Legacy Collections right on the discs. I only buy games digitally if there is nothing else. 

So a few TellTale Games are permanently gone, which is the killer.

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

They’re gone permanently. You can’t find them on Xbox One, Steam or the PS Store. 

This is why pirating exists because there’s been an awful lot of digital content that was removed due to licensing expiring and copyright rules being in place. A lot of Activision published games, including Transformers: Devastation are no longer available digitally anywhere, and I’ve checked all the big internet gaming websites. 

This is why I always buy games physically whenever there is a copy. I have the physical versions of Shovel Knight and both of the original Megaman Legacy Collections right on the discs. I only buy games digitally if there is nothing else. 

Gone only if you haven't already purchased them, anything purchased digitally is in your download list. 

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I get that, I certainly wish that I could get some games that are delisted and aren't available anywhere.

But if you're going to buy the game, it makes absolutely no difference if you buy physically or digitally- you'll still have access to it after it gets delisted. There might be an argument to be made that buying physically tells publishers that there's still a demand, but there are so many games that just aren't feasible to be released on disc (i.e. Strong Bad). Whenever something gets delisted everyone gets into a big this-is-why-you-should-get-physical and it doesn't make any sense. 

If we should get up in arms about anything, it should be about the trademark agreements in these contracts which make it so developers have to pull the games. 

27 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Could someone buy the rights to TT games and then bring the games back?

Gearbox and 2K own the rights to Tales from the Borderlands and are working on getting the game restored to every Storefront but there's no word on how long that will take. In theory, it wouldn't be hard to restore games like Batman and Minecraft but it ultimately comes down to wether or not the respective rights holders want to put in the time and money it would take to do so.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Gearbox and 2K own the rights to Tales from the Borderlands and are working on getting the game restored to every Storefront but there's no word on how long that will take. In theory, it wouldn't be hard to restore games like Batman and Minecraft but it ultimately comes down to wether or not the respective rights holders want to put in the time and money it would take to do so.

OK

I mean I have played the ones I have wanted to play but at the same time games like Tales from the Borderlands is so good I would want someone else to get the chance.

49 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

That just feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen

Ultimately, this will be a problem with digital games.  Technically speaking, you don't own the games you buy digitally - you buy a usage license.  Remember that time when that kid got sued for modding his own console? (I THINK this was the case - it was years ago - one of Sony's big arguments was that you don't OWN your console when you purchase it).

Even if you bought the license and can download delisted games, like you can now...eventually, these storefronts will be gone.  PSN, Xbox Marketplace, even things like Steam, GOG (in GOG's case, though, at least you can download the game installers), and the Epic game store.  How will you access the things you've purchased then?  At least with physical copies, you have something with the actual game on it (which is why I've always found season pass discs so bizarre) and can play it as long as you have a functioning console.

It's one of the huge reasons why abandonware is such a grey area.

(EDIT: yes, I realize the modding kid was also selling modded consoles/the means by which to do it.  For the sake of this argument, I'm talking strictly the act of altering one's own console)

Edited by themindisacity

4 hours ago, BlackJudas said:

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/important-minecraft--story-mode-information

The way it's worded... it sounds like even if you have them on your download list, they're gonna disappear.  If this happens, that'd be simply outrageous.

I think it is bad information.  I think that site just does not understand how it works. To be safe, purchase early but my guess it still works later if you have the disc.

5 hours ago, BlackJudas said:

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/important-minecraft--story-mode-information

The way it's worded... it sounds like even if you have them on your download list, they're gonna disappear.  If this happens, that'd be simply outrageous.

I bet they are doing this for free advertisement so someone will buy the rights. Its Minecraft so i would be surprised if nobody buys it. I'm surprised Sony or Microsoft haven't jumped on it. 

To be prepared just in case of everything going offline I installed all Telltale games on an "external storage" device and one other console.

This way "losing" these games should be minimal if they get removed.

The "external storage" device can be moved between consoles and works on every PS4 console.

Also regarding to Story Mode Season 1: Try to get a (used) version of the "complete adventure" disc version. This way you get all normal season episodes and the adventure pass episode without the need of downloading anything.