Labyrinth Life censored.

Willreaper41

This is insane at this point, Nintendo can handle the uncensored version but Sony can't? When the hell did I enter opposite land? Not to mention a good few other Japanese games I was interested in but all skipped directly to Nintendo to avoid Sony bullshit. I really wanted to try this game... for science, but does anyone know how much is censored this time? If it is a lot I may finally just break and take up a Switch instead until this shit ends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willreaper41 said:

but does anyone know how much is censored this time? If it is a lot I may finally just break and take up a Switch instead until this shit ends.

This article goes over it in a fair amount of detail, complete with a table. https://gematsu.com/2019/05/omega-labyrinth-life-for-switch-launches-alongside-censored-labyrinth-life-for-ps4-on-august-1-in-japan

How much it really matters depends on what exactly you're going into the game for. If you're going in just for the lewd stuff, then yes, you'd be better suited with the Switch version since that has it all uncensored, but if you're more in it for the gameplay or story (and especially if you find lewd minigames more repetitive and boring than actually fun), then the PS4 version works just fine.

Personally, I'm not really one for lewd minigames and the like and while I don't like censorship, I'm not going to skip over a product just because of it (that I have both Mugen Souls games as well as Criminal Girls on my profile attests to this), so I'm considering getting the PS4 version, especially since I hardly ever use the Switch and the recent censorship debacle hasn't really convinced me to switch sides (no pun intended).

Edited by Walt the Dog
  • Like 3

Don't give Sony any of your money. Get the Switch version or, if that's not possible and you can stomach being repeatedly insulted, ensure you get the PS4 version secondhand so Sony don't benefit.

Personally I couldn't play a game while being continually reminded that I've been stolen from (I've played Criminal Girls, but that was a change required by the ratings bodies and so I could direct my annoyance elsewhere, not at the platform I was supporting).

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

A lot of upsides came from Sony positioning the puritan American market as their priority. This is the downside.

I... what exactly are the upsides of prioritizing a puritan market, especially given that one of the downsides in your eyes is the censorship of gratuitous sexuality? ?

On 6/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, NekoRave said:

Sony just wants the big titty demons in games like Dante's inferno or Castlevania Lords of shadow or penis in agony lol.

Didn't those games come out on the PS3? You know way before the censorship stuff became this "big thing."

If you are going to call Sony out on a double standard or whatever at least use something on the PS4. Even better use something made in the last year or so.

Edited by Wavergray
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Agony was on PS3? Shut up lol

Even so, the first major instance of the anime ban was with Omega Labyrinth Z on June 25th, 2018 whereas Agony released on May 29th, not to mention that Sony hadn't gone full nuclear on censorship of anime tiddy until sometime around October.

Also, the instances in Agony at least, while gratuitous, were played not for titillation, but rather for horror. Shock horror, granted, but the point is that the main purpose isn't to get a raging boner from it whereas anyone with a lick of common sense can tell you that the main point of just about all anime fanservice is for boners first and maybe other reasons second.

• Like 3

Skip the version for CensorStation 4 my man, don't even bother, hell I don't even know why the publisher did, bet they knew what a septic tank they were throwing their game into.

Edited by YROSHIKU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

When even the logos of games are now being censored, what great times we are living in -_-

167w21l.jpg

Thanks, Sony! I would have been diagnosed with PTSD if you hadn't removed the attractive 2D girl that constitutes the series' logo! /sarcasm. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Walt the Dog said:

How much it really matters depends on what exactly you're going into the game for. If you're going in just for the lewd stuff, then yes, you'd be better suited with the Switch version since that has it all uncensored, but if you're more in it for the gameplay or story (and especially if you find lewd minigames more repetitive and boring than actually fun), then the PS4 version works just fine.

Personally, I'm not really one for lewd minigames and the like and while I don't like censorship, I'm not going to skip over a product just because of it (that I have both Mugen Souls games as well as Criminal Girls on my profile attests to this), so I'm considering getting the PS4 version, especially since I hardly ever use the Switch and the recent censorship debacle hasn't really convinced me to switch sides (no pun intended).

p much this. im tired of all the dungeon games just being titty bait for sales. i still buy them tho. (theyre mostly hidden or not even booted up tho so lol no one will believe me)

i dont have a switch, but id rather buy ps4 for trophies anyway. if i really liked it, i might get the switch version too. i dont like to double dip unless i really like something.

is this even coming out in eng confirmed?

the censorship is kind of bullshit, but i dont feel effected. sorry, im not going to buy a switch just to see tits or whatever. i can look in a mirror or google if i really feel the need.

nintendo being the uncensored one is like some weird alternate reality tho.

20 hours ago, Paul said:

Sony shouldn't be obligated to act as a corporate parent, dictating what consumers can or cannot play. If said game meets ESRB requirements, then why should it be censored on PS4? Many people don't seem to acknowledge that this censorship policy will affect AAA titles in the near future. 

The erosion of civil liberties is something to be guarded against not because of the perception of an immediate threat, but because you won't recognize the value of those liberties until you have been deprived of them and discover you have no recourse. 

This exactly. The ESRB does the ratings. There's literally no reason Sony needs to step in and be a middleman. 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2019 at 2:51 PM, Walt the Dog said:

I... what exactly are the upsides of prioritizing a puritan market, especially given that one of the downsides in your eyes is the censorship of gratuitous sexuality? 1f914.png

Well the PS4 was put together by Western teams headed by Mark Cerny. It would be a handheld console if they had designed it to Japanese tastes. Everything we love about the hardware and services on the PS4 was designed with the American market in mind.

Most of the successful exclusive games; God of War, Horizon, Spiderman, Detroit, Uncharted 4, Days Gone, Infamous are all made by Western teams.

The PS4, as we know it, would not exist without them priotising the American market. Just look at the friendly architecture of the PS4 compared to the notoriously difficult architecture of the PS3, designed by Japanese teams. But if you move the headquarters to America, then you have to take with that American tastes and standards.

On 6/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, Paul said:

Sony shouldn't be obligated to act as a corporate parent, dictating what consumers can or cannot play. If said game meets ESRB requirements, then why should it be censored on PS4? Many people don't seem to acknowledge that this censorship policy will affect AAA titles in the near future. 

The PS4 already has parental controls, which IMO makes Sony's censorship needless. They should just let the parents do their job keeping track of what their children play, rather than breaking it for everyone.

What if Sony starts censoring violence someday & it goes like this: MK12 is coming out on Xbox Scarlett, Switch 2, & PC... but the PS5 version is scrapped. Or there's yet another CoD Modern Warfare installment but it gets toned way the hell down- say it would have a "No Russian" type scenario on the other systems but that would get taken totally out of the PS5 one, with violence generally reduced in the entire game so it gets a T. I don't ever want to see a T rating on a new Call of Duty or Battlefield game.

Maybe Sony's PS division should've gone to Washington (where Nintendo of America is) rather than California.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

The PS4 already has parental controls, which IMO makes Sony's censorship needless. They should just let the parents do their job keeping track of what their children play, rather than breaking it for everyone.

You say that, but over here there's still parents going on consumer advice shows/morning chat shows about issues with Xbox and PS4.

Whether it's to do with games content or kids racking up bills on their credit cards for DLC purchases.