Sony forcing players into ps plus?

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

The only thing I agree with you is the fact you have to play for PS Plus to access online.

This is ONLY for PS4 games. PS3/Vita games still offer online multiplayer for free in the games that are available.

Otherwise, I have to disagree with this.

I have no sympathy for anybody who waited over 10 years to do the online trophies in say, Warhawk. Same thing with games like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, if you took too long to do the online trophies, then tough shit.

Some of the games I have with multiplayer I have decided to drop and move on. That's my choice. Nobody should be forced to do online trophies for ANYTHING just so they can grab hold onto a platinum trophy, and if you feel you are forced to do the online trophies in the first place because you can't stand the idea of having an incomplete game that is impossible to obtain because of shut servers, then you are doing this hobby wrong.

Also, Assassins Creed Brotherhood was a prime example of what you typically got with a lot of older PS3 games. Most of the PS4 games nowadays have been a lot more lenient towards the online trophies. Mortal Kombat 11 only has you doing THREE easy online trophies, compared to Mortal Kombat 2011 which had you doing a bunch of bullshit for it's online on top of having the 'My Kung Fu Is Stronger' trophy which is often considered to be the platinum breaker for a lot of people. Just look at a lot of PS3 games with their online trophies and compare them to the PS4 games. The games have gotten a lot easier with little online, and for somebody like you that hates online I would think that is a good thing.

I don't like the way Sony has been treating PS Plus as of lately as well as some of the other things they have done (censorship of anime games for instance). But you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Yes, though shit. If I want to play the game, I'm still going to play it regardless of whether I can get the Platinum or not. I'm not exactly entertaining the idea that I'm entitled to the Platinum trophy and much less that a game isn't worth playing if I can't get it. And I will agree that most PS4 online trophies are a lot more lenient. Still, that doesn't mean online trophies aren't a terrible idea, especially considering that you now have to pay extra to even be able to get them. I think developers should be a bit more forward-thinking and consider that their servers aren't going to last forever, that their servers' populations also aren't going to last forever and that not all people get their stuff around release date.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

And considering you also dislike digital games, you are basically limiting yourself quite a bit.

I'm not quite sure why you brought that up here considering I didn't (or how you even remember it in the first place), but with the exception of "The Legend of Korra", which was digital-only, I've been able to get all of my games physically. I don't really think I'm limiting myself considering I can get pretty much everything I want at a fair price without being dependent on sales. Also, this way, I actually own my games rather than just a license to play them. I can go back to versions 1.00 if I want to and I can also easily lend, give or sell my games if I want to. I don't really see any disadvantage in being physical-only.

45 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Sorry, but I just can't agree. Nothing but a huge headache to me if I'm going for the Platinum. I'm an exclusively single-player gamer, so being forced to go online (and worst of all, having to pay for it!) if I want to get the Platinum is just a big source of frustration for me. If I could play every game exactly as I did back in the Playstation 2 days (exclusively offline), that'd would be my dream come true.

Thankfully, online trophies are pretty much gone from the games I play, so I haven't had that headache much lately. I think the only games that I have for the PS4 that have online trophies are Dragon Ball FighterZ (and I got a friend of mine who's a huge fighting game expert to get those for me), Assassin's Creed Unity and Uncharted 4. I'll probably get the free PS+ period on one of my alternate accounts when I get to those two games (they're still in my backlog) and get the trophies out of the way as fast as I can.

Glad you're enjoying yourself online, though! :)

Even with the most annoying ones, I was able to make friends and to meet nice people. The excitement and expectation of going into an online match, knowing that I’ll be working on or trying to get an online trophy is something that I can’t replicate with offline ones.

And like Spaz said, no one forces you to get a trophy you don’t enjoy working on. Trophies are supposed to be fun. I also don’t like speed run trophies and I don’t go around calling them stupid. There will always be people that like them. I just try to avoid them.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I think it's interesting that Sony was basically kneeling down at us back in 2006 - 2011 because of their horrid start with their PlayStation 3 console and the fact that their entire network was hacked in May 2011. That basically cut off the online for MONTHS and I felt Sony was basically forced to give out free games to their fans and players who had to stick through with that.

Sony today is a lot different now. There was a change in tide once Xbox 360 gamers jumped the bandwagon during the Xbox One fiasco because of the way Microsoft was treating their product. Now you not only have Sony censoring anime games with no real rhyme or reason, they remove their PS3/Vita lineup out from the PS Plus free games category while increasing the subscription fee and failing to add anything else.

Mostly it's just casual gamers who pay to play online, as PS Plus is a requirement.

One reason why I said adding PS VR games to the mix wouldn't hurt. There's enough of them to warrant having one or two free PS VR games a month, which certainly helps the VR crowd.

That's because the ps3 had an abysmal  start, and the most important  reason that it had an abysmal start was the initial pricing they had, and arrogantly defended  at the start. Now, Sony is back on top and the competition is too dumb to even be taken seriously, so they won't have a serious  backlash when raising the price and jinxing services. It is all a cycle, and we're back to 2006.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

The value of PS+ can change based on how you play games. If you only play single player games you can just ignore the service if the sales and "free" games don't interest you. If you want to play online, you have to pay for it so you can't ignore it.

Having to pay for online should just not be a thing. Sony doesn't run the servers for every PS4 game and honestly I don't they need $60 from me a year to keep everything running. I feel that the only reason online was included with PS+ was to make more money. Cloud saves should just be free or something. Cloud saves are very nice to have but I don't feel you should have to pay for PS+ just to have them.

The sales are okay. You have to buy a lot of games to make your money back from them. Even without PS+ I felt that sales still had good deals. Physical game deals are often better but you have to search for them. I think I usually make my subscription money back from sales but I buy a lot of games. If you only purchase 4-7 games a year from these sales PS+ is not for you.

The "free" games are not free. You pay for your subscription and every month you have to remember to hit a few buttons, so you can have access to those games when you have a PS+ subscription. The quality of the games depends on who you ask because everyone likes different games. The "good" or triple A games tend to contain a lot of DLC and microtransactions in my experience or the have a sequel coming out soon that they want you to buy. The indie games are either very good or "What the goodness is this!?!" For years I felt the PS3 and Vita games were not very high quality most months so I'm not very sad they stopped including them. The games near the end were a lot better then the stuff in the years prior but the Vita's last two games were... I don't remember them. Vita deserved a better last month. I feel that the PS4 games overall have been better since the PS3 and Vita were dropped... I haven't gotten around to those games because I've been busy.

I voluntarily bought PS+ when I only had a PS3 6 years ago, I think, and have always renewed my subscription for most of the months... When I felt like it. I fall under into the category that gets the most out of it. I'm a "hardcore PlayStation user" that has the money and time to make the most of it. I don't think PS+ is a great deal but I still keep buying into it. I also have a lot of trophies I wouldn't have if I didn't have the dumb service.

• Like 3

You can't have a pop at SONY for making deals to further profit. Thats what businesses do. 

Since I started my single player only profile, I haven't bought PS+ this time around. But even so the bargains for none PS+ users are awesome. I've saved so much money this past year and only bought one retail game. 

And as mentioned. £50 or whatever it cots for the year, get you even further discounts as well as actual free games throughout your subscription. Only fault I have is that the actual PSN is pretty poor in terms of speeds sometimes. 

Always get a kick out of some members of this forum and their use of the term "forced". This is an incentive and it's one many different companies/businesses use to get people to be a member. The most common example I can think of would be gas stations wanting you to sign up as a member in order to get a reduced price. I don't think it's "Bullshit" in the slightest, it's just marketing. 

Thiis is the primary incentive to get PS+ for me, online play being a close second. I saved $30 on games in this sale alone, which covers most of what I paid for my PS+ subscription. Plus isn't that expensive and you can even find it at a reduced rate throughout the year, typically up to 50% off. Pretty tough to argue it isn't worth it, in my opinion.

• Like 2

I've never paid more than $40 for my subscription since I buy it during sales only and I've gotten more than my money's worth back from the discounts alone. The discounts are an incentive, not a forced measure. In fact, the discounts are about the only reason I've ever subscribed since I never cared for the free games or playing online.

I think it's hilarious how people don't understand that this has been going on since the beginning. I think it's great. I love having Plus. It's easily worth the value. Even if they raise the price. What does concern me is that the digital games that are not on sale retain their release price. Ie The Surge and Dark Souls 3 should not still be 79.99 right now. But I understand why they do that; they put them on sale for 80% off and I'm more likely to buy them. Even though that puts them at their market value. Omg that there is the scam! No, it's just a clever business trick. Sony is smarter than you give them credit for.

2 hours ago, Carol said:

Even with the most annoying ones, I was able to make friends and to meet nice people. The excitement and expectation of going into an online match, knowing that I’ll be working on or trying to get an online trophy is something that I can’t replicate with offline ones.

I will admit I did make some friends while boosting online trophies, but it's still pretty stressful to me having to coordinate with someone under strict circumstances just to get a trophy. I just want to go home, play a game, and not worry about schedules, play time, coordinating, closing servers, population... I prefer depending on myself and myself only.

2 hours ago, Carol said:

And like Spaz said, no one forces you to get a trophy you don’t enjoy working on. Trophies are supposed to be fun. I also don’t like speed run trophies and I don’t go around calling them stupid. There will always be people that like them. I just try to avoid them.

In a way, I find that even harder trophies are a way to make myself play the game in ways I normally wouldn't, or to challenge myself and make me be better at the game. Even if I become frustrated at the time, I like the challenge and feel exhilarated when I actually do get the trophy, hence why I will at least give a shot to any trophy that sounds even slightly feasible for me*, offline or otherwise. The reason I don't like online trophies in particular is because I no longer depend on myself alone to get them... but I will try to get them anyway just as I would all the other harder offline trophies (I have actually been able to get pretty much all online trophies for all of my games so far).

And I think you're putting too much emphasis on the fact that I called online trophies "stupid" ? It's basically because there's a lot of additional barriers to get those trophies that have nothing to do with the game itself that I think they shouldn't exist. The lack of online trophies makes the trophy list pretty much eternally achievable.

By the way, since you mentioned hating speed run trophies, and I know you like the Uncharted games... how did those trophy lists go for you? ?

*(I do know when something's just way out of my league, however. I mean, you only need to look at "The Ones That Got Away" section on my trophy checklist. I draw the line when something requires hundreds of hours of mindless grind or Bruce Lee-like reflexes).

Boy did this thread derail. The original point was that the OP is mad that some discounts require a Plus membership.

If you aren’t talking about that, you’re not on topic. 

Debating if I should add “for select discounts” to the end of the thread title...

Edited by DaivRules

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Boy did this thread derail. The original point was that the OP is mad that some discounts require a Plus membership.

If you aren’t talking about that, you’re not on topic. 

Debating if I should add “for select discounts” to the end of the thread title...

I think the thread derailed because of the title 'Sony forcing......

• Like 3

1 minute ago, captainskyhawk said:

I think the thread derailed because of the title 'Sony forcing......

It followed it's natural progression then. The OT sounded ignorant, was ignorant, and now everyone has moved on to talking about trophies, which every discussion on a website devoted to trophies eventually morphs into.

I think the original point wasn't so much about the discounts, but yet another rip on how much Sony supposedly sucks because of how they choose to do business. 

• Like 4

Force does have to include the threat of physical force, christ some people, online is a major component of videogames, if you lock online behind a paywall you are forcing users to pay for it, just like most dlc is forcing users to pay extra money to get the "true ending", it's just excuses so multi-billion companies can rip you off and people are playing semantics to defend them, my god man.

30 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

I will admit I did make some friends while boosting online trophies, but it's still pretty stressful to me having to coordinate with someone under strict circumstances just to get a trophy. I just want to go home, play a game, and not worry about schedules, play time, coordinating, closing servers, population... I prefer depending on myself and myself only.

In a way, I find that even harder trophies are a way to make myself play the game in ways I normally wouldn't, or to challenge myself and make me be better at the game. Even if I become frustrated at the time, I like the challenge and feel exhilarated when I actually do get the trophy, hence why I will at least give a shot to any trophy that sounds even slightly feasible for me*, offline or otherwise. The reason I don't like online trophies in particular is because I no longer depend on myself alone to get them... but I will try to get them anyway just as I would all the other harder offline trophies (I have actually been able to get pretty much all online trophies for all of my games so far).

And I think you're putting too much emphasis on the fact that I called online trophies "stupid" 1f605.png It's basically because there's a lot of additional barriers to get those trophies that have nothing to do with the game itself that I think they shouldn't exist. The lack of online trophies makes the trophy list pretty much eternally achievable.

By the way, since you mentioned hating speed run trophies, and I know you like the Uncharted games... how did those trophy lists go for you? 1f609.png

*(I do know when something's just way out of my league, however. I mean, you only need to look at "The Ones That Got Away" section on my trophy checklist. I draw the line when something requires hundreds of hours of mindless grind or Bruce Lee-like reflexes).

I don’t like the Uncharted games; I love them. Uncharted is Uncharted. It’s my most loved series and I would do everything for them, even some speed run trophies. I would even try a no-death run on crushing, if needed. TLoU and Uncharted are in a completely different league, for me. But, yeah, apart from Uncharted and other games, that I am also fond of, like Styx or Rayman, you won’t find many speed runs in my almost 9000 trophies.

And when I talk about making friends, I am not referring so much to boosting, but to, you know, enjoying some multiplayer matches with other people, while trying to get your online trophies. I don’t like boosting either and I only resort to it, if it’s absolutely necessary. I love playing online and if I can have some trophies to make things more exciting in the process, the better. That’s why my Uncharted 3 journey was my most epic experience, gaming-wise!

1 hour ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

I think it's hilarious how people don't understand that this has been going on since the beginning. I think it's great. I love having Plus. It's easily worth the value. Even if they raise the price. What does concern me is that the digital games that are not on sale retain their release price. Ie The Surge and Dark Souls 3 should not still be 79.99 right now. But I understand why they do that; they put them on sale for 80% off and I'm more likely to buy them. Even though that puts them at their market value. Omg that there is the scam! No, it's just a clever business trick. Sony is smarter than you give them credit for.

Publishers determine the sale price for their games, not Sony, though they do accommodate for premium subscribers. It's the same thing for Xbox Live Gold.

6 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

The developers of the PS3 games that refuse to let me copy save data to an external hard drive were the ones who forced me to get PS+.

This, Jesus Christ. Imagine when/if they shut down Plus on old-gen systems. Only pirates could backup whatever they want. Again, JESUS CHRIST.

This is a little "trollbait-ish" thread anyway.

Edited by Lance_87

3 hours ago, Carol said:

I love playing online and if I can have some trophies to make things more exciting in the process, the better. That’s why my Uncharted 3 journey was my most epic experience, gaming-wise!

And then there's me, who got the remastered versions specifically so that the trophy list would be completely offline ?