Xbox Scarlett & PS5

RadiantFlamberge

On 6/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, SnowxSakura said:

The light bar really kills the battery life on the DS4, wish they released a model without it.

Is it the light bar? I've always wondered why the Dualshock 4 battery was so lousy.

Anyway, I'll do what I've done pretty much every generation since the PS1 - I'll wait a couple of years before picking it up. With full BC, though, I might pick it up day 1. There are TONS of old PS2 games I want to revisit, and now that Sony's silly "PS2 on PS4" has crashed and burned, I can dream again.

I'm a little saddened by the shelving of 'PS2 on PS4', it brought upscaled PS2 classics with trophy support, most even had platinums! It would have been better if you could just pop in your PS2 disc but I guess programming those trophies had to be paid for somehow. But now they're pushing their PSNow instead, and those games don't even have trophies. Not that it's a dealbreaker for me to pop on an old game from time to time. BC is trickier than I think a lot of people realize- sure, XBox has it but it is still pretty limited- you can't exactly play every single Xbox game ever on the XB1

8 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

I'm a little saddened by the shelving of 'PS2 on PS4', it brought upscaled PS2 classics with trophy support, most even had platinums! It would have been better if you could just pop in your PS2 disc but I guess programming those trophies had to be paid for somehow. But now they're pushing their PSNow instead, and those games don't even have trophies. Not that it's a dealbreaker for me to pop on an old game from time to time. BC is trickier than I think a lot of people realize- sure, XBox has it but it is still pretty limited- you can't exactly play every single Xbox game ever on the XB1

I know, I liked this PS2 on PS4 idea. As for PS3 games on PS5, I'm hoping it's powerful enough to emulate PS3.

Sony should keep the PS5 price reasonable. It's hard to see $800 working for this. I expect it to be a little higher than PS4 Pro's $400, but the PS3's $500/600 was a bit much. About $450 would be fine. If needed, they could take a hit on the price of the system & make it back through an increased license fee on games (like $5 on a AAA release, meaning it would likely sell for $65). I really appreciate being able to use a non-proprietary external HDD on the PS4. The PS5 should keep this up, since I'd like to add an external regular HDD to use for game saves, meaning fewer SSD program/erase cycles.

On 19/06/2019 at 3:13 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Is it the light bar? I've always wondered why the Dualshock 4 battery was so lousy.

Open it up and unplug the ribbon. Takes 2 minutes and it's very obvious which part is the light. First thing I've always done with my 4 dual shock 4s.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 0:11 PM, majob said:

Am I the only one who never really had much issue with my DS4 battery life? Then again, I only play like four hours at a time and I turn vibration off whenever possible.

Just to update since I haven't had the chance, it's been tested with the dual shock 4, that the LED light on it consumes between 40-50mA, versus the light being disabled and the controller idling at 30mA.

With the light on, the controller will die under 24 hours, but without the light the controller was found to still have a 66% charge left to it.

Source: https://hackaday.com/2013/11/29/ps4-controller-leds-suck-the-battery/

Original source https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dualshock-4-leds-effect-on-battery-life-test.723148/

• Like 2

Microsoft is pretty much going nuts right now with their services so I'm strongly considering buying the Scarlett first. I have Game Pass Ultimate until mid-2021 which they more or less gave out for free and with Microsoft Rewards I'll probably have saved up a few more years of it before that expires. I miss out on free Game Pass games if I don't buy the Scarlett at launch but what do I miss out on by not buying the PS5? I can still play Sony's outstanding single-player first party games a few years later, patched and ready to go. 

If I had to choose one console to stick with for the entire gen then I'd absolutely go for PlayStation since that's where the better games are but I have an incentive to buy the Scarlett at launch while the PS5 will actually be better if I wait a year or two. Looking forward to next gen either way. Load times is one of the major issues in games right now and raytracing makes a huge difference too. 

Doesn't matter how 'great' the Xbox is, Xbox One has shown to barely have any exclusives, besides PlayStation was my childhood, why would I ever choose Xbox over PS5 lol

On 6/20/2019 at 0:48 AM, RadiantFlamberge said:

I know, I liked this PS2 on PS4 idea. As for PS3 games on PS5, I'm hoping it's powerful enough to emulate PS3.

Sony should keep the PS5 price reasonable. It's hard to see $800 working for this. I expect it to be a little higher than PS4 Pro's $400, but the PS3's $500/600 was a bit much. About $450 would be fine. If needed, they could take a hit on the price of the system & make it back through an increased license fee on games (like $5 on a AAA release, meaning it would likely sell for $65). I really appreciate being able to use a non-proprietary external HDD on the PS4. The PS5 should keep this up, since I'd like to add an external regular HDD to use for game saves, meaning fewer SSD program/erase cycles.

$600 for a PS3 was ridiculous, especially considering how dated the system feels now. But PS5 will probably be around the $500+ range. Hopefully they get production of disc games going. 

On 6/11/2019 at 8:05 AM, TheYuriG said:

Xbox looks amazing with the 4 generations span in a single console. There will be absolutely no reason whatsover to keep a X1 or X360 if you own a Scarlett. Hopefully this is going to be enough to take down Sony again so we can get great features in our side, like full Crossplay between consoles and PC.

The absolute supremacy from Sony needs to end if we are ever going to see they changing their stupid policies, like censoring and whatnot. Cut it out already, Sony!

I also enjoy this backward compatibility vibe, hopefully it will cut down the number of remasters and stacks, so I can spend more time playing stuff I want to play, rather than redoing things I've already done just because a publisher wanted more money and my collection is no longer complete.

Xbox Scarlet looks meh. Plus, Xbox consoles have never been good in general. I'll point out some examples:

1. All they have is Halo and Gears of War which are being overused for milking and other Xbox exclusives that do or do not do well.

2. Lack of JRPGs. I love JRPGs, the PS4 and its successors and the Switch has them, but the Xbox consoles do not.

3. Xbox consoles don't have a really good achievement system. I love the trophy system for PlayStation. Sony did the achievement system right with their trophy system. 

and 4. Microsoft is a western company.

I honestly don't see why the Xbox Scarlet will be a success, but we'll see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vanessaking2 said:

Don't get me wrong. I really like my PS4 but PS5 must prove first to be a worthy successor. It has strong "enemies" like Google Stadia and Scarlett.

Failure of PS5 is not an Option for Sony.

I have a really hard time seeing Stadia catching on. You have to pay to stream above 1080p (at about the three-and-a-half year mark it would have been cheaper to buy a console), you'll still be paying full price for games, there will be zero game ownership, no download options, and depending on your ISP and data limits, gaming will probably totally suck the back half of every month.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I have a really hard time seeing Stadia catching on. You have to pay to stream above 1080p (at about the three-and-a-half year mark it would have been cheaper to buy a console), you'll still be paying full price for games, there will be zero game ownership, no download options, and depending on your ISP and data limits, gaming will probably totally suck the back half of every month.

I don't see Stadia going very far either. Forget streaming... I'd rather play strictly client-side games. I can't see Stadia's streaming as good enough for shooting, fighting, or racing games. Google is saying it's more powerful than PS4 Pro & X1X combined, but I'm sure it'll be light years behind PS5 or Scarlett. With Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo having systems, I feel the console market doesn't have room for any other hardware. Stadia is either going to be a niche product or it will tank hard.

Some ISPs do throttle Netflix & Youtube. I bet the guilty parties would throttle Stadia as well.

• Like 2

I can't really see who Stadia is for. Those who want the premium experience and who have money can just shell out for a PS5/Scarlett/PC and those who don't have a lot of money will in my opinion get a better library of games by sticking to the last gen PS4 and Xbox One. On Black Friday, you can get these consoles for around $200 at this point and they have a rich library of cheap games available. That's not much more expensive than the cheapest Stadia option. For those looking for a subscription service, it seems unlikely to me that Google can match the value and library of Xbox Game Pass considering Microsoft has access to a lot of cheaper old titles. Not to mention Microsoft is developing a streaming service of their own and have a strong brand advantage over Stadia. 

I guess the consumer who can benefit from Stadia is the one not really interested in video games. If you just want the latest FIFA every year together with some Fortnite or Call of Duty then $500 for a PS5 is considerably more than the same package costs on the Stadia. Not to mention PS+ is a cost without much benefit for those gamers. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, MMX20 said:

1. All they have is Halo and Gears of War which are being overused for milking and other Xbox exclusives that do or do not do well.

2. Lack of JRPGs. I love JRPGs, the PS4 and its successors and the Switch has them, but the Xbox consoles do not.

Most Xbox exclusives haven't really impressed me much, including Halo & Gears of War. There are many other FPS franchises I'd rather play than Halo. Xbox's relative lack of JRPGs is a serious strike against it. While there are a few JRPGs on X1, I couldn't name one that's an X1 exclusive. X1's lukewarm reception in Japan probably is to blame. If I was told I could only buy one of the 2 new systems, it would be PS5.

• Like 2

I was just reading that Xbox are bringing out a cheaper version of their next console.

To be honest I don't see the point in that unless it is aimed at casual gamers.

Why not do what it sounds like Sony are doing and focus your efforts into one beast of a machine.

3 hours ago, reiner- said:

I was just reading that Xbox are bringing out a cheaper version of their next console.

To be honest I don't see the point in that unless it is aimed at casual gamers.

Why not do what it sounds like Sony are doing and focus your efforts into one beast of a machine.

I don’t understand the strategy either, or rather the lack of focus. If you release this and it works well, why buy the more expensive ‘real’ Xbox? This cheaper version undercuts the more expensive one. Same with their current strategy. Do you want to sell the Xbox service or the console? If you can just as well play all games on PC, why is there an Xbox console at all?

This generation seems to have fundamentally misunderstood what a game console is or ought to be. A level playing field. Not “yeah, you can also play every game on PC”, “sure, you may not be a better player but keyboard/mouse beats controller so go ahead” or “here’s your console! also, here’s a mid-cycle upgraded console that is what the original one should have been, money please!” (Lookning at you too, Sony)

I’ll probably get the PS5, but I do feel Microsoft will either shoot themselves in the foot and leave the field completely to Sony (not good) or actually achieve success and ruin the console market to such an extend that we won’t recognise it anymore (not good either). Final round?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Most Xbox exclusives haven't really impressed me much, including Halo & Gears of War. There are many other FPS franchises I'd rather play than Halo. Xbox's relative lack of JRPGs is a serious strike against it. While there are a few JRPGs on X1, I couldn't name one that's an X1 exclusive. X1's lukewarm reception in Japan probably is to blame. If I was told I could only buy one of the 2 new systems, it would be PS5.

That is so true on so many levels. PlayStation and Nintendo are my go to consoles for JRPGs.

I have barely any interest in the new consoles. Sure, I am really interested when it comes to the spechs and stuff but besides that? There are still so many games for the 3 and 4 I want to check out and my Switch also needs some attention. The PS5 has to deliver a state of the art game in order to be bought by me. If they publish Bloodborne 2 or God of War 2 at launch forget everything I just wrote. Than it's an instant buy ;) But as always, the games have to sell the platform.

• Like 1