Man i blow at time trials

Had easier time with the Oxide ghosts than in the original CTR back in the day. The added super boost (purple fire boost) makes tracks like N. Gin labs and Cortex Castle easy, levels which were hard in the original game. Dragon mines was hard though. I like how they included CNK tracks in the game since it brought more Oxide ghosts to beat. 

• Like 1

My biggest tips for these is to still remember a couple basic racing game techniques. A lot of people obsess more with top speed above all else which results in poor driving lines, time wastes and even brushing against walls and losing reserves entirely. It's still important to chain boosts and keep SF/USF as long as possible but taking corners at the right kind of angles etc. cuts a lot of time. Also, you don't always need to be drifting. Even the WR times for many tracks they spend some time driving completely straight (Such as the start of laps on Crash Cove) or hopping to take a corner tighter than drifting. As long as you've built up reserves by chaining perfect boosts you can spend time not drift boosting and still keep SF/USF speeds going.

I still can't decide if the trials are easier or harder than the originals after finishing them.

SF and USF seem easier to maintain in the remake and the general speed of the game seems faster to me, but... the times are also faster and some shortcuts (Sewer in particular) are more fussy on timing and angle (plus there seems to be a wide collision on Sewer shortcut which sometimes still let's you take it but cancels out your boost/reserves as if you brushed a wall)

The problem is I'm much better than I was when I last played the original (about 5 or 6 years ago maybe) so I had no troubles getting Oxide times, often being a great distance ahead. I feel like I need to replay the original again to come up with a comparison lol.

• Like 1

Crash cove for me was the most annoying track to do, In the video it wasnt a perfect run, far from it but I managed to just scrape by, If you can manage to hold a sacred flame atleast to the first corner once and across the bridge once you are with a shoe in of beating the time. Took me a couple hours at this was my winning time wasnt going back to try and get better lol.

Edit: Found the Dragon Mines clip I didnt realise I saved so ill post that too, again not the most perfect run but doable, when I got to the spiral part I just tapped the brakes and hopped without accelerating too much so I didnt hit the wall otherwise I wouldve dropped to a complete stop and lost what little momentum I had.

Edited by Surgical_Assault
Added another video

I have been working down the list. Did Dragon Mines last night. Was pretty easy. It took me maybe 45 mins. It took me longer to finish Sewer Speedway. Just have N. Gin Labs and then Oxide Station. Hoping it isn't too bad. 

So far I am about 5 hours in to time trials. Beat a few tracks first go which was nice.

Edited by Gumby114

6 hours ago, Gumby114 said:

I have been working down the list. Did Dragon Mines last night. Was pretty easy. It took me maybe 45 mins. It took me longer to finish Sewer Speedway. Just have N. Gin Labs and then Oxide Station. Hoping it isn't too bad. 

So far I am about 5 hours in to time trials. Beat a few tracks first go which was nice.

Nah those 2 aren't bad, if you easily beat the rest then those are nothing

• Like 1

My hardest ones were dragon mines (messed up at end and beat him by 6 milliseconds) and blizzard buff just cos of that shortcut. Just couldnt make it for ages especially for 3 laps. Sewer speedway was tricky but i think i got lucky with the shortcut

Good luck everyone. Such a proud platinum when achieved

18 hours ago, sven100 said:

Which Character/cart do you use? I am at the track from Ripper Roo 8 Seconds behind Oxide with Cortex...:(

Edit: I've beated Oxide now on five tracks. Penta the Penguin is quite good. :)

Penta Penquin is good but personally I felt they were alot easier with acceleration characters like coco, they can hold out turbos around corners alot easier, if you're struggling abit give the switch up a shot

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Surgical_Assault said:

Penta Penquin is good but personally I felt they were alot easier with acceleration characters like coco, they can hold out turbos around corners alot easier, if you're struggling abit give the switch up a shot

Oh ok, thx. I will test Coco later. 

Poor Penguin. :(^^

I've found doing drift boosts on straights just slows you down. I've copied videos too but you just end up going all over the pace and Oxide casually trolls passed you.

Also for keeping USF, it just makes me hit walls or fall off the track because you slide like you're on ice.

I'm using speed characters all the time too.

I did it...... 

I actually did it. I beat all of Oxide's Ghosts. I used Zem the whole time. Hardest tracks in order for me:

5. Oxide Statio

4. Dragon Mines

3. Sewer Speedway

2. Tiny Temple

1. Deep Sea Driving

Good god. Deep Sea Driving is the worst. 

• Like 2

I read that you unlock the trophy when you beat Oxide without beating his ghost, is that true?

For example i beat Oxides time while i was racing against Tropy in Cortex Castle.

I don't need beat Oxides Ghost, only his time?

Edited by sven100

12 minutes ago, sven100 said:

I read that you unlock the trophy when you beat Oxide without beating his ghost, is that true?

For example i beat Oxides time while i was racing against Tropy in Cortex Castle.

I don't need beat Oxides Ghost, only his time?

You need to race each track at least 3 times in time trials.

1. Unlock Tropy ghost.

2. Beat Tropy to unlock Oxide.

3. Beat Oxide.

It's actually pretty grindy, 93 races at minimum.

18 minutes ago, HusKy said:

You need to race each track at least 3 times in time trials.

1. Unlock Tropy ghost.

2. Beat Tropy to unlock Oxide.

3. Beat Oxide.

It's actually pretty grindy, 93 races at minimum.

And you can confirm it? I read an youtube comment, that someone get the trophy with only beating Oxides time whilst racing against tropy.

Maybe i will test it by myself. I have 1 Star at Cortex Castle. When i got the trophy at the end is it true.^^

And I'm adding myself to the club of the Time Trials completionists! I finished them all yesterday night, I used Coco for all of them and after a while I really got the hang of it. My personal top-5-hardest-tracks would probably be:

5. Deep Sea Driving (pure luck if you get hit by the fans or not)

4. Oxide Station (you need to make the best possible use of the USF)

3. Crash Cove (it was the first and it took me two days to beat it, wtf)

2. Dragon Mines (Oxide here just goes berserk on the third lap. Also, I couldn't get SF at the turbo pad in the end, I was going mad)

1. Sewer Speedway (THAT. DAMNED. INCONSISTENT. SHORTCUT. ARGH.)

Edited by Adras_Nightmare
  • Like 1

Yes, i also finally did it. :)

Can now confirm, that you need to beat Oxides Time AGAINST his Ghost, that one yt comment was bullshit.

My five difficulty tracks are:

5. Tiny Temple (really hard not to hit somerhing across two laps with the USF)

4. Oxide Station (same, hard not to hit something in last sector)

3. Dragons Mine (learn the air brake! In the spiral section is this the key)

2. Sewer Speedway ( fu**ing, bs *****, *piep* shortcut.^^)

1. Crash Cove (wasn't my first track and i found this track really hard. You need to find the perfect drifting line)

Edited by sven100
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

So I just beat Oxide in Crash Cove and my fingers are still shivering. This is the first ghost I beat coz I'm doing it in order and I thought to just leave it if all are going to be the same... but I saw some people here claiming that Crash Cove is one of the most difficult tracks and for some even the hardest. I think I'll give it a go after all.

Do you think there would be a difference in picking a small kart and character vs a really bulky one in terms of hit points and crashing to the walls? It's something it was in my mind but not sure how to test it.

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP

22 minutes ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

So I just beat Oxide in Crash Cove and my fingers are still shivering. This is the first ghost I beat coz I'm doing it in order and I thought to just leave it if all are going to be the same... but I saw some people here claiming that Crash Cove is one of the most difficult tracks and for some even the hardest. I think I'll give it a go after all.

Do you think there would be a difference in picking a small kart and character vs a really bulky one in terms of hit points and crashing to the walls? It's something it was in my mind but not sure how to test it.

Yeah crash cove was one of the hardest ones i beat. The track is simple so theres not much room for error and the ghost is pretty much perfect.

In terms of character i found the smaller, speed class characters easier to navigate round the track. I used penta for them all.

• Like 1

So I just managed to beat Oxide in Dragon Mines. I'm now doing it in order of difficulty (based on people's opinions here) coz I like to get rid of the most annoying ones first and then relax and have fun with the easier ones.

As you can see I screwed up so many times specially at the beginning and Oxide was so far away but the key here is to keep sacred fire once you reach the only turbo pad. For the spiral I used U turn WITHOUT JUMPING (The perfect example of this is in the last lap at 1:25 as I screwed up a bit on the first two) I found this way easier than the jump U-Turn that most people do. It didn't annoyed me as much as Crash Cove and there's definetely room for errors here. It just took me a couple of evenings of practice.

Tiny Temple you're next ?

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, JamieHeron95 said:

I must suck at this game, I can’t even beat hard mode never mind any of the time trials lol

Dont compare hard mode to the trials because its probs same if not sometimes harder than the trials because of the rubberbanding of the ai and unpredictably/luck of the items. 

Just stick with it im very confident if your a average-decent racer you will do them. Just takes practice

• 4 weeks later...