anyone else getting so much hate?

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

MOBAs probably have the worst toxicity of any online game, full of trolls and people who in real life would probably go on a shooting rampage if they had the time and money.

Where can I send donations?

I honestly think that getting annoyed and grouping with randoms is a huge waste of energy nowadays.

If you primarily go down the pick-up-group route you are going to be in a group of random people who are there for different reasons (e.g seeing the content for the first time / grinding up an alt / farming it for mats etc) and who all have opposing approaches to how to handle that dungeon. The more strategic that dungeon is the higher the chance that it will be a shit-show where everyone runs around doing their own thing and blaming either the Tank or the Healer if it goes south. It's also something that comes with the territory - totally working as expected.

Every now and again though you group with some great people - and those are the ones you want to hold on to - the ones that work with you and make things feel successful. Friend them and/or try to join their guild.

Gaming companies have tried hard to fix this issue, because it's in their interests to make a pick-up-group a viable gameplay option for people. But they've never made it work imo.

I'd go so far as to say - the only viable way to do MMO dungeon / world event groups is to put time into carving out a strong list of friends of varying timezones. International guilds with a larger population and strong leadership are perfect because you'll not only have a bunch of people on and potentially available at all hours, but they'll be attuned to the prospect of newbies and people unfamiliar with specific types of content and help on that front.

Tl:dr - Avoid groups of randoms like the plague.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I honestly think that getting annoyed and grouping with randoms is a huge waste of energy nowadays.

If you primarily go down the pick-up-group route you are going to be in a group of random people who are there for different reasons (e.g seeing the content for the first time / grinding up an alt / farming it for mats etc) and who all have opposing approaches to how to handle that dungeon. The more strategic that dungeon is the higher the chance that it will be a shit-show where everyone runs around doing their own thing and blaming either the Tank or the Healer if it goes south. It's also something that comes with the territory - totally working as expected.

Every now and again though you group with some great people - and those are the ones you want to hold on to - the ones that work with you and make things feel successful. Friend them and/or try to join their guild.

Gaming companies have tried hard to fix this issue, because it's in their interests to make a pick-up-group a viable gameplay option for people. But they've never made it work imo.

I'd go so far as to say - the only viable way to do MMO dungeon / world event groups is to put time into carving out a strong list of friends of varying timezones. International guilds with a larger population and strong leadership are perfect because you'll not only have a bunch of people on and potentially available at all hours, but they'll be attuned to the prospect of newbies and people unfamiliar with specific types of content and help on that front.

Tl:dr - Avoid groups of randoms like the plague.

I noticed this too over the years.

You were pretty much on your own back in the day when World of Warcraft was new. Had to form your own raid group, your own clan of friends. Those old dungeons and raids weren't all that easy either. It took a lot of teamwork from everybody working together.

I'm basically convinced you can't have that anymore. Not trying to spark ageism or anything like that but when I started I was with a lot of older guys. They seemed to have a lot more patience and were used to "failing" over and over.

You have to have guilds to play a lot of MMOs now. Otherwise you'll just end with randoms who don't want to learn anything about the game. It worked back in the day. Now, not so much.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

I've had the opposite experience really.  Granted I really haven't gotten too far yet and I'm DPS so it's hard to mess that up (just stay active and don't run ahead)... but people have been surprisingly cool with me despite me making mistakes from time to time.  I've had a few things explained to me and was better for it.  This is playing with randoms too.

It's luck of the draw I'm sure... and the further you get, the more important it gets for people to not mess up, and the more you run into people that a. don't know what they're doing and have lousy attitudes about it or b. know what they're doing and have no patience for people who are learning.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I've been playing FFXIV for five years now and there certainly is a rise in the kind of players that react impatient or outright toxic. But nonetheless the majority of the playerbase is VERY welcoming, doesn't mind to explain things when you say you're new or gives you pointers, when they see you have a lot of trouble with your job.

There are a lot of players from other MMOs, mainly WoW, coming to FFXIV for the past year or so and while most i encountered are like "oh wow I can't believe ppl greet each other at the start of a dungeon, this is great and happens almost never in WoW!", there are also quite a few who bring their big attitudes over, though it's most noticeable in the partyfinder and not in normal dungeons.

You had quite a bit of bad luck, but i assure you, it is NOT the way things usually go.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

Im on Light/Pheonix. PPL I meet outside of dungeons in Pheonix are usually very nice.

Like I said it's only in dungeons. But from the 10 runs in dungeons I took part in so far it was toxic in 9 of them. and in the 10th, were 2 idiots but one nice veteran guy who told them to fuck off and then explained things to me nicely.

Thats the only reason I barely replayed dungeons so far and the game was lying around for so long. I started it in heavensword era more than 2 years ago and when my 6 month I payed were over I only used free days to come back (only playing fates. leves and quest w/o dungeons until yesterday) bc the experience scared me away.

I don't even know why it does get to me that much.

I will try to pull through now :)

thank you all!

Same datacentre since I'm on Lich and that is Light aswell. Strange how it can be so different. But yeah, I think you mainly got real unlucky. Mostly its just a 'hi' and thats all you get the whole dungeon.

Don't let them scare you away from such a good game.
Also in newer dungeons you will see that they made some mechanics more clear. And also start using specific markers for specific mechanics. That helps when running something you havent before.
The suggestion to go as DPS first is also good, though only if you even want to play as one of those

• Like 1

Do you know what, I played around launch and I left this game because of the players. I have said it ever since: the FF14 community is the worst of any MMO I've ever played. And I played Eve Online.

I was just thinking about coming back to the game so I thought I would have a look on here and see if it's still as bad as it used to be. First post on the forum I see: "ppl bad". I'm surprised but only a little. You would think the nut sacks have calmed it down in five years. Obviously not.

When you're lucky to find a small circle of positive, welcoming and likeminded, people, hold on to them. They do exist.

The game is fantastic - which is why I am still going back - so keep meeting and greeting everyone you can. You will find friends soon enough.

• Like 1

It's sad, but there are players like this in the game. I know the dungeon before others even mentioned it, and even I was confused when I first did that dungeon, and where everyone went off to, spent a while just trying to find my way out of there. It's weird as it's the only dungeon you use /return in.

As for those DPS pulling mobs, that's on them, not you. As the tank, you are the one who controls the pace of the dungeon. If I were you, I would have not taken those mobs off the DPS who pulled them, but rather, let that DPS die, the mobs will go back to where they came from provided no one else attacked/aggroed them.

There are well natured vet players out there, we're just becoming a rare sight these days.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Surprised you're having so many issues on Light, me and my friends play on Zodiark and haven't really had any issues that often, and we've all been on since Heavensward era. Oddly enough I rarely see people from Phoenix, it's usually Shiva, Lich or Twintania.

There's the occasional jackass in dungeons but 90% of the time it's fine, and even when it isn't that 90% some people relax a lot if whoever made a mistake on a boss gets it right second attempt. I've done pretty much all content in games outside of Savage (and Ultimate of course) and even then a lot of people in current endgame are decent, if someone is being a dick they usually get kicked or drop out themselves, often replaced by someone who's a lot better and nicer. 

Also yes if you're tanking and some dumb deeps decides to go pull something else, that's on them not you. I would possibly suggest running through new content as a dps first time to get used to how the basics of each fight works, plus if you want all the story in the game you'll need at least one of each role (tank/phys dps/magic dps/healer) at 80 for the Shadowbringers role quests. Hell, you might actually be treated better the further you get into the game simply because you're actually playing through everything and learning as you go, it's people who bought level skips and clearly have no idea what they're doing that get a lot of criticism later on, whereas people who actually put in the time to learn are often respected. Still get that one occasional asshole (who is often a mentor, although hopefully the new changes to mentoring might filter some of those out) who is very vocal at shit talking people and often is the one making the mistakes, but you'll get that from any game.

Edit: Oh, and use the Party Finder as well. Set one up and say something like 'new to this dungeon, free newbie bonus, willing to learn mechanics' or something in it and you'll usually get people who want to help out showing up soon enough. Can't say I've ever had any problems at all doing things that way, everything I've experienced with assholes has been through roulette generally, especially if they get rouletted into content they don't like doing.

Edited by Seasonreaper

39 minutes ago, Seasonreaper said:

Surprised you're having so many issues on Light, me and my friends play on Zodiark and haven't really had any issues that often, and we've all been on since Heavensward era. Oddly enough I rarely see people from Phoenix, it's usually Shiva, Lich or Twintania.

OMG that's a Kalafina avatar *_______*

Thanks for the input!

I was able to make my way to platinum in the end, but only bc I found a decent party I could stay with until the last mainquest. I had to realise how fun this game can be with the right ppl. But I decided against going further, mainly bc buying all add ons (I only own the Maingame right now) for PS4 was too expensive IMO. I mean It's 60€ right now, and I probably would have bought it for a better price bc my last days were very very fun!

Sadly, going into dungeons alone was still hard, my experience didn't change at all. But with my group it was always a nice evening.

Kalafina is love~

Sad to hear it kept on being a pain for you in dungeons. The expansions can quite often go on sale for a decent price, I think shortly before Shadowbringers came out you could get Heavensward and Stormblood together for around £20 or so. I thought Heavensward was currently free actually? Or was that a limited time thing for Shadowbringers release, I can't even remember. Maybe if it's cheaper in the future you'll give it a shot, Heavensward and Shadowbringers are utterly fantastic and probably the best stories in Final Fantasy since 6. And the music only gets better the further in you get as well, Shadowbringers has one of the best OSTs in the whole franchise.

• Like 1

Started two months ago as a tank on Twintania / Light an this isn't what i experienced at all.

Did every Dungeon / Trial with a random Group and most were pretty chill. Some were even helpful when you make mistakes. I had only one toxic experience (out of 50 or so, now playing in 2.5) where a veteran tank flamed a new healer (and we only wiped because the tank pulled too much).

I always tell that it's my first time in a dungeon an I inform myself about the basic mechanics of dungeon beforehand - that worked very well so far.

Probably bad luck with bad shitty people. But if you were doing a lot of the earlier dungeons i could see an issue where others may feel more powerful and pull before the tank. Most earlt dungeons are a joke now and any could technically tank now....oh were they ugly looking little lalafells btw? Those leprechaun are realllll nasty..

• 4 weeks later...

Playing on Ultros.  Nobody has said anything negative.  Worse I have met is being called brain dead because I was still learning the tank playing style in the random dungeons.  Now all I get are commendations.  Interestingly, someone randomly gave me 1,000,000 gil for 10 potions and they bowed to me after the trade.  Waiting for the virus to kill my PS4... ?

Edited by hunterseekeralgo
Fixed a typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, Seasonreaper said:

There's the occasional jackass in dungeons but 90% of the time it's fine, and even when it isn't that 90% some people relax a lot if whoever made a mistake on a boss gets it right second attempt. I've done pretty much all content in games outside of Savage (and Ultimate of course) and even then a lot of people in current endgame are decent, if someone is being a dick they usually get kicked or drop out themselves, often replaced by someone who's a lot better and nicer. 

Also yes if you're tanking and some dumb deeps decides to go pull something else, that's on them not you. I would possibly suggest running through new content as a dps first time to get used to how the basics of each fight works, plus if you want all the story in the game you'll need at least one of each role (tank/phys dps/magic dps/healer) at 80 for the Shadowbringers role quests. Hell, you might actually be treated better the further you get into the game simply because you're actually playing through everything and learning as you go, it's people who bought level skips and clearly have no idea what they're doing that get a lot of criticism later on, whereas people who actually put in the time to learn are often respected. Still get that one occasional asshole (who is often a mentor, although hopefully the new changes to mentoring might filter some of those out) who is very vocal at shit talking people and often is the one making the mistakes, but you'll get that from any game.

Edit: Oh, and use the Party Finder as well. Set one up and say something like 'new to this dungeon, free newbie bonus, willing to learn mechanics' or something in it and you'll usually get people who want to help out showing up soon enough. Can't say I've ever had any problems at all doing things that way, everything I've experienced with assholes has been through roulette generally, especially if they get rouletted into content they don't like doing.

Sorry for the late reply i play (PLD main too) on Zodiark too and players on there are a lot better attitude wise than others i've seen on the same data center. Plus sometimes the worst people are the mentors i've noticed.

I found starting out, as long as you say at the beginning of the dungeon, "hi i'm new/first time running this dungeon/trial" someone normally helps with tips/mechanics help.

@AiManiaTrophyhunting feel free to reach out either here or in game(player name: Rik Webb) if you still need any help and i'll help anyway i can :)

• Like 1

Wow, sounds terrible! I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Sounds like elitism and asshats have arrived to FFXIV. It's a common phenomenon in MMOs that have been on the market for some years. 

I played the game on Exodus server for a few years and didn't experience anything like that. Mostly people were friendly and ready to give advice if I was in a dungeon the first time. The worst I got was some sort of bullying attempt once, sneering at my main character's race (Lalafell) and while it left a bad taste in my mouth, it was easy to just ignore. 

I've since stopped playing as it felt futile to try to keep up with the updates, they made changes for the worse in the crafting and gathering systems. Also most of my time was spent managing my inventory instead of doing something "productive". 

Isn't there some kind of AI controlled party member system these days for story dungeons? Maybe that would help get more positive experiences from the game.

7 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Isn't there some kind of AI controlled party member system these days for story dungeons? Maybe that would help get more positive experiences from the game.

There is, but it only starts with the Shadowbringers content, so eveyrthing below level 70 still needs to be run with others. Also it only works for the first time through a dungeon (at least until you've finished the main story of the expansion) so if you want to gear yourself up along the way you'll have to rerun with other players. Also only covers dungeons, so the three trials that are part of Shadowbringers are run using regular party setup.

3 minutes ago, Seasonreaper said:

There is, but it only starts with the Shadowbringers content, so eveyrthing below level 70 still needs to be run with others. Also it only works for the first time through a dungeon (at least until you've finished the main story of the expansion) so if you want to gear yourself up along the way you'll have to rerun with other players. Also only covers dungeons, so the three trials that are part of Shadowbringers are run using regular party setup.

Oh, I see. I was too hopeful then. I remember reading something about AI party members at some point. The last expansion I played was Heavensward.

5 minutes ago, Seasonreaper said:

You can use Trusts anytime in Shadowbringer, it's just that you need to level up the Scions after the first time you ran the dungeon. That means running the same dungeon over and over until they can be used in the next one, and since they don't use AoE, it takes quite a bit of time. It's a great system for new players since the NPCs will show you where to go in a boss fight. It's really helpful for your first dungeon runs in Shadowbringer.

There is a system in the older expansions where you can use NPCs in dungeons, but you need to be a certain rank in your Grand Company and it's only available for certain dungeons. The NPCs are kind of dim and it's only really advised you play as a tank or healer with them.

21 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

they made changes for the worse in the crafting and gathering systems.

Do you mind elaborating why you think that the crafting systems are changed for the worse?

With the removal of cross-class skills for crafting, and the humongous boost in experience gained through Turnins, Leves, as well as the Ishgard Restoration, it made crafting not only easy to get into, but much easier to utilize as well.

3 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

You can use Trusts anytime in Shadowbringer, it's just that you need to level up the Scions after the first time you ran the dungeon. That means running the same dungeon over and over until they can be used in the next one, and since they don't use AoE, it takes quite a bit of time. It's a great system for new players since the NPCs will show you where to go in a boss fight. It's really helpful for your first dungeon runs in Shadowbringer.

Huh, shows how much I know, none of us looked at it until after we were done with the main story so I assumed that they couldn't be reused until the end. 

1 minute ago, Griffon234 said:

Do you mind elaborating why you think that the crafting systems are changed for the worse?

With the removal of cross-class skills for crafting, and the humongous boost in experience gained through Turnins, Leves, as well as the Ishgard Restoration, it made crafting not only easy to get into, but much easier to utilize as well.

Back when I still played, they added a ridiculous amount of new ingredient items in some update. They were incredibly difficult to manage when I had all the different crafting and gathering classes and needed to carry gear for the disciple of war classes as well. This led to not being able to do almost anything in the game ("you cannot do that, inventory is full").

They implemented a scrips system for gathering and crafting which was tedious. 

They added gathering spots that were active for like 3 minutes at a certain time, depending on server time. Distances were long and if you didn't make there in time, tough luck. 

It became impossible to make everything yourself at higher level crafting, you needed to rely on other people for something. 

Crafting higher level items wasn't cost-efficient anymore as it took a ton of time to make anything and the ingredients were expensive and/or hard to get. I didn't profit from it on Marketplace. The only profit I got anymore was from low level items. 
Keeping up with the high-end crafting equipment was a hassle and of course many of the new recipes required the best gear. When I finally got the best gear, a new update rolled out two weeks later and made it obsolete.

I don't know about the state of the system today, but these changes were a big factor on what killed my interest in the game.

5 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Back when I still played, they added a ridiculous amount of new ingredient items in some update. They were incredibly difficult to manage when I had all the different crafting and gathering classes and needed to carry gear for the disciple of war classes as well. This led to not being able to do almost anything in the game ("you cannot do that, inventory is full").

They implemented a scrips system for gathering and crafting which was tedious. 

They added gathering spots that were active for like 3 minutes at a certain time, depending on server time. Distances were long and if you didn't make there in time, tough luck. 

It became impossible to make everything yourself at higher level crafting, you needed to rely on other people for something. 

Crafting higher level items wasn't cost-efficient anymore as it took a ton of time to make anything and the ingredients were expensive and/or hard to get. I didn't profit from it on Marketplace. The only profit I got anymore was from low level items. 
Keeping up with the high-end crafting equipment was a hassle and of course many of the new recipes required the best gear. When I finally got the best gear, a new update rolled out two weeks later and made it obsolete.

I don't know about the state of the system today, but these changes were a big factor on what killed my interest in the game.

You only need to carry one set of Gathering/Crafting gear, with the exception of main/offhands. Class specific gear is pretty unnecessary, and at max level, it’s detrimental to carry unique to class gear for different crafters and gatherers because you cannot pentameld it.

Scrips can be tedious, but you can get by pretty easily by doing the weekly turnins for scrips. They are fast to do, and good for leveling, as you can get decent gear to get by as well, as well as materia/crafting mats for higher level crafts.

Well, there’s still timegated nodes in the game. Distances shouldn’t be an issue with Aetherytes and Flying Mounts. There are now (3rd party) sites that can notify you when and where nodes are up.

Crafting is still probably the most efficient way to make money in the game (except I guess marketboard flipping... but very little people can make money super fast that way). Speaking anecdotally, I did not have much Gil at all until I started crafting. Now I can afford anything I want. I mainly crafted end game gear, end game raid food, and end game potions, as well as furniture. 

New gear should not be obsolete in two weeks unless you are getting gear at the absolute tail end of a patch. There’s optimised sets of gear that can last you for the current, and the next patch now. But after that you will need to upgrade.

With all that being said, crafting has gotten significantly easier with the changes I elaborated with in my previous post as well. :)