Roguelites

Silencer0004

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for some roguelite games. I like games like Binding of Isaac as well, but I prefer to do any kind of progress over the time of playing like with Rogue Legacy. Are there any other roguelite games that get "easier" the longer you play and the more you improve your character you can recommend?

If you like twin-stick isometric shooters, try Riddled Corpses EX.

Edit: Would we consider Transformers: Devastation to be applicable here as well?

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

If you're into Rogue Legacy then I would 100% recommend trying Dead Cells, it's one of the best Roguelikes on the PS4 by far.  Easy to play- hard to master, tons of progression to unlock and the more you play the more powerful you can become.  Seriously, try it.

Seriously, Dead Cells. I also loved Wizard of Legend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silencer0004 said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for some roguelite games. I like games like Binding of Isaac as well, but I prefer to do any kind of progress over the time of playing like with Rogue Legacy. Are there any other roguelite games that get "easier" the longer you play and the more you improve your character you can recommend?

Enter The Gungeon is amazing. I would definitely recommend it.

• Like 2

Enter the Gungeon is fantastic indeed, but doesn't really have the whole 'meta powerup' thing like Rogue Legacy does. I've heard Dead Cells does that however but I haven't gotten around to starting it yet. Neon Chrome (and I believe their later game Jydge which I haven't played) does have meta powerups which make you stronger even when you die so that might be worth checking out, it was also free on + a while ago so you might already have it too. Children of Morta just came out as well and I've been hyped for that for years, so give that a shot as well.

If you just want roguelike/roguelite content then Gungeon is an extremely good example of it. It's also worth your time checking out Wizard of Legend, NeuroVoider, Spelunky (the classic) and Downwell too.

Edit: Oh and maybe Risk of Rain, I didn't like it but it's got a good rep. If you have a PC check out Dungeons of Dredmor as well.

Edited by Seasonreaper
  • Like 3

Can't believe I forgot about Slay the Spire.  Haven't played the PS4 version but I've almost broke a thousand hours on the Steam version.  It's a card based roguelike so it doesn't really fall into the same category as Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy but it's another endlessly replayable game.  Unlocking everything doesn't take too long but mastering how to use what you're given is an endless process, very very good game.

• Like 2

Spelunky, it doesn't come with a platinum trophy though, but it's extremely replayable (I still play it almost everyday even after years of earning all its trophies), and fun once you get better at it. 

Rogue Legacy, Flame Over, and The Hungry Horde (to an extent, but it's Vita only) are other good games.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

Children of Morta 100%

Just got it today and wow one of the best roguelike, does so many good things.

Also Wizard of Legend, Ziggurat, Dead Cells, Gungeon, Risk of Rain 2, Hands of Fate, Mothergunship, Deathstate, Flinthook, Isaac, and Immortal Redneck are great ones too.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

Wizard of Legend is one of my favorites in the genre, easily. Tons of abilities to use and the spell animations are fantastic. I can't recommend it enough. 

Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, and Enter the Gungeon are also really great.

For something different and probably doesn't fall under the typical roguelike/lite umbrella tropes, Outer Wilds which just came out last week. It is really good and is one of my favorite games of the year. You are not earning new abilities or equipment but its your knowledge that carries over from one run to the next that helps you get further each time. It is hard to describe without spoiling it--going in blind really elevates the experience--but I'd say it qualifies as a different kind of roguelike.

Edited by GameMatter
  • Like 1

My personal favorites are Deadcells, Slay the Spire, Risk of Rain 2 and Children of Morta.  If you was a list of like 8 Roguelikes/lites my whole trophy cabinet is rogue games.  Currently starting GoNNer which I hear is pretty good as well.

Also if you have a PC and aren't just playing for the trophies Hades is amazing I would put it right up there with Deadcells imo.

Edited by iGGTheEnd
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, iGGTheEnd said:

Also if you have a PC and aren't just playing for the trophies Hades is amazing I would put it right up there with Deadcells imo.

I'm really looking forward to the PS4 release of Hades... It really does look amazing! :)

As for my own suggestions, I agree with Dead Cells, that one is a lot of fun! 

And while I've only spent a couple of hours with this game so far, Crypt of the NecroDancer is a fantastic and addicting rogueli(k/t)e. Definitely a good time! 

• Like 2

Definitely going to agree with the majority here that Dead Cells is absolutely fantastic! I've also very much enjoyed Enter the Gungeon, and I'm currently working on Moonlighter. Those are probably my top 3 off the top of my head. Also following this post, because I saw a few other great suggestions in here!

• Like 1

For all of you who haven't played Risk of Rain 2 please do yourself a favor and give it a try.  I was put off by the 3D roguelike thing but this game is an absolute masterpiece of fucking chaos.  I legit got addicted to it to the point that I would play it for like 5 hours straight and then decide to take a break and shut off my PS4 and find myself turning my PS4 back on 15 minutes later because it is all I could think about.  Super straight forward trophy list as well.

• Like 1