Have you ever been so determined to get a trophy you refused to give up?

charxsetsuna

The "less than 5 continues" on Metal Slug Anthology (did it legit, i thought the 2 player exploit got patched) and then even worse, the "earn A rank on all missions, no damage and handgun only" for the combat school on Metal Slug XX, almost daily for at least 5 hours. I both loved and hated every goddamn second lmao

Edited by Condoom--

Always! I usually take my time with my games, and mostly have 3-4 open games at any given time. If something frustrates me, I just stop for the moment and play something else instead, but I always get my games to 100% in the end. 

But as one particular example lemme mention the day I got the Hollow Knight plat... I had been practicing the individual bosses all week and was determined to get the plat on the weekend. On that glorious Sunday I had three, yes THREE runs at the Pantheon of Hallownest end in the very last phase of the very last boss, spread throughout the day (one run takes about an hour). It was heart-breaking and frustrating, but I was so close to getting it done that I just couldn't let it go. My fourth attempt was finally successful, and man did it feel great ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Trials Fusion - Is There Anything You Can't Do?  trophy... What I thought was going to be a few hours of grinding turned into about 2 months of on/off play, sometimes about 5 hours a day.  There's 120 challenges to complete (3 for each track), and a lot of them are straightforward/easy... However, when you get to the extreme tracks, specifically Inferno IV & Rock of Rages... Oh boy.  'Top Roach' was single-handedly the toughest challenge, taking 30+ hours alone of just sheer practice.  Obviously that will be different for different people, but damn that's easily the best 100% I have.

The worst part? No plat for this game, and that trophy is only worth a silver. :(

• Like 2

Sekiro's platinum. Fucking stupid idiot game, I've uninstalled (and re-installed of course lol) it something like 30 times, not because rage quitting, I never get angry, they're just games... There's no reason for yelliyng and screaming.

I just felt so lost, ashamed and insulted for a very very hard game.

Then, I tried at friend's houses, looking how they were playing it, multiple tutorials on YouTube and boss fights + trophy guide, and I achieved it two nights ago :D 

• Like 2

I tend to give up pretty easily tbh, there's been a few games where I got pretty close to the platinum, but something or other just made me go "screw it", and just shelve it and play something else. Usually it's either a trophy or two that are too annoying/hard to obtain, I'd have to play through the game again, or I just simply get far too bored to bother playing the game any more.

One trophy I was determined to get though was "Monolithic Achievement" in Danganronpa V3. I platinumed all the other Danganronpas and the rest of the trophies were pretty easy, so I didn't want this one stupid mini-game preventing me from getting the plat. I literally spent 8 hours trying to get it on one day, only to just fail completely, even using a tool online. I got it within about 2 hours the following day I believe.

I will never forget this trophy, I will never forgive it. It wasted so much of my time and made my blood boil like no other. I don't even ever want to see any other mini-game like it, it would be too triggering.

• 2 weeks later...

The GD parkour Instructor trophy For Dying light. You had to do all the parkour challenges at night and beat the fastest times. Took me 6-8 hours. Was sweating with almost all my clothes off at the end but so relieved when i eventually did. They are free DLC trophies though so probably not many people would care for them.

The question was generic, so to answer it: YES!  I have never given up on any trophies cause I always go for platinum and 100% in any additional content I own (but I rarely buy DLC).

With that out of the way, if I had to give specifics, some of my rarest trophies were the hardest.  Especially the ones in Gran Turismo 5 and Sports Champions.

For GT5, first off, I don't have or use a wheel.  Using a DS3 made the difficulty 100 times harder.  But even people with wheels and hundreds of hours of practice in racing games struggled with the Vettel challenges, or more so getting gold on them for the Gold Standard trophy.  There were a few others that sucked, but those Vettel golds were nearly impossible.  I can't even remember how many hours I spent trying to do it.  I loved the GT series before this game, but this ruined it for me.  I'd love to play PS4 remasters of the original games with trophy support, but I doubt I'll ever play Sport cause I can't put myself through that again.

Sports Champions, despite everyone who'd never played it thinking its an easy kids game, is anything but.  yeah, the graphics are cartoony to a degree, but the score challenges, gold cups in every event, and 600 stars are ridiculously hard.  Some events are far worse than others, mainly because the move controller recognition is garbage.  I only played the second game cause it was super easy in comparison and felt like I was getting even with the first game, lol.  But this game was a massive challenge to plat.

One thing both games have in common is their peripherals.  GT5 felt like it assumed you owned and had mastered driving with a wheel.  Sports Champions needed pinpoint precision with a move controller that never seemed to have anything resembling precision.  I've played plenty of hard games, and have plenty of UR trophies, but these two were by far the worst of the ones I've played in the trophy generation of consoles.

One last note, its not PS so I can't group it in with the others, but back when I played on 360 I got what equates to Plat in a lot of tough games - Saints Row (OMG!), GTA IV (winning all those online races... ugh), and BF3 (100% w/ DLC, too much MP and coop for my tastes).  But the one that almost broke me was Golden Axe: Beast Rider.  Getting all those Expert and Class A+ ranking achievements were a nightmare.  There's a reason why that game is ranked as a higher 'True' achievement score than anything else I ever played on that system.

But in the end, long story short, I never give up n a trophy.  If I start a game, I finish a game, and that includes doing everything the game has to offer - trophies included.

I would say destiny flawless raid trophy. When destiny first came out, needing I think 6 players not die for the whole raid took weeks and weeks to coordinate and finally achieve.

After that of course destiny had glitches where you could solo crota raid and I started carrying people for the weapon runs lol