PS5 Hardware Specs Revealed

Aranea Highwind

What I do not understand is why everyone thinks there will be a 100 game on launch. Cerny said that they tested a 100 games because the logic can break on boosted frequencies. So, ps5 level frequencies. While on the slide we have a ps4 legacy mode and ps4pro legacy mode, which should support every game without the improvement (other than loading times). Basically, just like PS4Pro currently has games that have build-in pro-compatibility  and some don't, so the "boost mode" of ps4pro can be finicky with some games and better turned off.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, majob said:

I can't tell you anything about the performance but lower specs don't necessarily translate into a lower price tag. You can have a product on the lower end of the performance spectrum still be expensive to produce and thus have it reflected in its price. It's all about features, more features means a higher price tag

Or you are like Apple and always have lower specs than the others but a higher price :).

So, faster load times fighting against a GPU difference about half that we saw between the console rivals this gen. Good enough that I don’t feel the need to drop my digital game library and go back to MS (I only get one console now because I have no time to even play all the games on one that I want to).

My already having a big digital library and VR is what Sony have going for them. I’ll likely still try to get all hardware and software secondhand while this censorship policy from them is ongoing though, so maybe not day one.

Mostly interested in the software side now. Trophy tracking please.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

39 minutes ago, Bratinov said:

I wish Sony didn't skimp on raw performance. PC games booting of a nvme ssd load pretty fast already imo. Hopefully, there will be a Pro sooner rather than later.

There most likely will be a Pro version, and Cerny already said in that presentation that balancing performance and costs was a huge focus for the PS5. After what happened to the PS3's disastrous launch, I think they never wanna risk getting that kind of reception again from consumers. A Pro version will almost certainly come out 3-4 years later where I think they can let loose a little bit with their hardware and advertise it as a premium console like xbox one x.

Screen_Shot_2020_03_18_at_12.43.22_PM.0.

Also me while looking at this image during the presentation:

'There's space for 3 more logos down there Sony...'  ?  It doesn't hurt to dream...

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

Screen_Shot_2020_03_18_at_12.43.22_PM.0.

Also me while looking at this image during the presentation:

'There's space for 3 more logos down there Sony...'  1f60f.png  It doesn't hurt to dream...

I noticed that too, but they did say that embedding hardware from previous systems, à la launch ps3, would be very expensive.

Maybe emulation could do it, for ps3 I mean?

Edited by Bratinov

5 hours ago, PostGameBlues said:

PS3's disastrous launch

I love how in hindsight it's referred to as disastrous, but those of us who actually worked retail know about the camping out days before launch, the long lines, the constantly being out of stock on both the $500 and the $600 models, the dozens of phone calls daily, and the lines every time we'd get new consoles in. For months and months.

Great news about legacy modes, I haven't checked out the whole presentation, but that means all PS4 games will play on the PS5.

• Like 1

Nice specs, I guess. All these numbers, they don't really mean much to me. They'll probably mean something when I get the console in, uh, 2024-2025 or something. If I'm still alive of course. Good thing they're going with an internal SSD, that'll certainly improve loading times. And even if it's only 825 GB and games are certainly going to take up more space, I don't see that as a problem.

All I'm interested in is in all PS4 related stuff to come down in price when everyone starts to migrate to PS5. That's my chance to step in and get some sweet deals and expand my collection massively. :awesome:

• Like 1

So it ain't even 1tb of storage in the ps5? So when a big game comes out and it takes about 100 gbs and or a lot more to play or keep on your console it will be like the basic model of ps4 where 500gbs barely lets ya keep games such as watchs dogs 2 and or ff15 or something like that. That takes up a lot of data and it has been like that for years for all sony consoles, I mean the first ps3 was only about 10gbs and or 35gbs then the later ones were 150 then 500.

But apart from that I think they should stop with the techno talk and say real things. will it have the power to play ps1 to 2 and 3 and 4 games on the ps5 and so on as yeah 

4 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

I mean the first ps3 was only about 10gbs and or 35gbs then the later ones were 150 then 500.

20 Gb and 60gb, then 40 and 80gb.

I've had the 120gb slim and never needed to upgrade my hard drive and still have my stock 500gb PS4.

The option to expand via NVMe means the people who spend the money on all the massive games can spend the money on the expanded storage options and the rest of us will appreciate the reduced launch price.

7 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

stop with the techno talk and say real things. will it have the power to play ps1 to 2 and 3 and 4 games on the ps5 and so on

This was a talk for and to developers. They are swayed to program on the PS5 with the techno talk.

They also already said in the talk it'll play all PS4 games. It's not going to play PS1, 2, or 3 games.

• Like 2

I'm actually ok with the specs. It's like they finely tuned a V6 engine to go top speed on any track. But not be overpowered to where you have to tap on the brakes when hitting a corner. My biggest concern is the CENSORSHIP... I'm an adult... DONT TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD OR SHOULDNT SEE... STOP CENSORING..

Specs really mean nothing to me, and besides the Series X isn't getting any games exclusive to it for a good while so there's really no need for me to splash on one since I can play any new games on my One X- seriously, that baby is crying for more use since I only ever really use her for 4K Blu-Rays. 

I'll be sticking with PS5 as my main console into the new generation  and if there's a good launch lineup and they don't screw the pooch in the run up I'll be getting it Day One.

Edited by Stan Lee

the backwards compatibility is very disappointing to be honest, put insult to injury only the well known ps4 games to be playable on ps5.

so I assume all first party ps4 games and all that crappy third-party with high player rate games that i'm not interested in playing like COD, Fifa, Fortnite etc...

1 minute ago, yellowwindow7 said:

the backwards compatibility is very disappointing to be honest, put insult to injury only the well known ps4 games to be playable on ps5.

so I assume all first party ps4 games and all that crappy third-party with high player rate games that i'm not interested in playing like COD, Fifa, Fortnite etc...

From what i understand the 100 games Cerny mentioned they were trying to improve them, but all PS4 titles might be playable on the PS5 but only select titles gets upgraded with better performance.

1 minute ago, Quink666 said:

From what i understand the 100 games Cerny mentioned they were trying to improve them, but all PS4 titles might be playable on the PS5 but only select titles gets upgraded with better performance.

I really thought they would put ps3 support too, but then I heard the guy talking how expensive that is I assumed right away that he will going to say only backward compatible with ps4 and man I was right, I really been dreaming to play my digital ps3 library on ps5... one can dream at least :l