(SPOILERS) Can we talk about how much this sucked now?

On 4/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, ddrakner said:

In my opinion, one of the best final fantasy recently made for mechanics, gameplay and graphic!

All these good things ruined by a story filled with waaaaaaay too much nonsense and wandering around, just to make multiple games over a single one. Thinking that this part 1 (waited for years) is just 20% of the original story makes me sad.

I'm still waiting for crisis core outside psp, but if they can ruin a classic game like VII with fillers I'm a bit worried.

In addition, after all these years, they couldn't make dialogues for my language and the translation with the subs is awful. Most of the time, they say a thing in english and the subs say something completely different.

In regards to the subtitles. I see this happening a lot and not just this game. I cannot figure if its actually writers who know how to write it properly as opposed to voice actors using slang or not talking properly (if you get me), or if the writers are told what to put in and then the voice work happens later and conflicts with the words on screen.

But in regards to this game and its future. I honestly think after the Yuffie expansion we will see no more from this. They cannot afford to not finish on the PS5 era, and not doing so will causes fans old and new to abandon it due to how its released. It took 20 odd years to get the project off the ground and now I'm seeing that they should have just left it alone, or like others suggested, just up the graphics from the original and get it out in one whole turn based game again. Not chopped up and have a 40 hours Midgar city game. 

• Like 1

I thought, and still think, the following.

Pros:

• voice acting (some)
  • graphics
  • atmosphere
  • music (some)
  • gameplay and combat (mostly)

Cons:

• Horrible pacing. The entire game in Midgar with essentially the exact same plot points as the original (4 hours) but padded and filled to make it 40 hours was just a terrible choice. I feel like I’ve accomplished the same in 40 hours as I did in the original in 4 hours. That’s 36 hours of crap I found forgettable and boring.
  • Leslie. What a nonsensical addition and chapter.
  • Garbage writing (not just the ending. The entire thing is a melodramatic anime mess)
  • Jessie
  • Sector 7 plate drop was a complete cop out and a stunning miss.
  • Filler content
  • Sidequests uninspired and boring
  • Jessie
  • Hard Mode not allowing items just feels lazy. Still not hard but now just tedious.
  • Anime-ish nonsense. Melodramatic acting and body language. Cloud can jump 90 feet during a cutscene with all the acrobatics of a Super Saiyan but needs Aeris (yeah, not AeriTH) to drop a ladder for him because of a 9 foot wall. Please.
  • Jessie.

My biggest gaming disappointment of my lifetime. Ran back and finished the original again. Still my favorite video game of all time by a very large margin.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I liked this game a lot and some of the changes were nice and refreshing. The one thing I didn't like was that Sephiroth popped up the whole time. In the original you didn't see him in the beginning at all (iirc), there were only a couple of mentions of him. Then suddenly you find President Shinra dead in his office with a long sword in his back. I much prefer that over this, where you can kinda see it coming.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed this game, and I don't hate the ending, but I have absolutely no idea why they decided to change it. It's like the design document for this game went something like this:

> Take 15% of one of the most beloved and relevant video games of all-time and spin it into a 25-hour-long epic 

> Capitalise on nostalgia with extreme efficiency, succeeding in giving the majority of players chills for 95% of the run-time

> Say "fuck you" right at the end and blatantly threaten the possibility of a truly faithful adaptation of the original game

Again, I don't hate the ending - it's hard to hate on a game this well-directed, especially when an amazing rendition of One Winged Angel is blasting in my ears. But the reason why I like this game so much is that it's all richly contextual, based on my experiences with the original FF VII. I see Aerith, I hear her theme, and it naturally evokes a very strong reaction. This is exactly how it should be. I don't want to "change fate." That's not why I played a game called Final Fantasy VII REMAKE. 

And we can debate the true meaning of the word "REMAKE" all day, but come on. Look at the cover art. Look at the title. It's not like Square Enix have never used the word "Remix" in their game titles before - which, given the ending, is essentially what this game is. Semantics aside, the whole ending just genuinely feels like the twist no one asked for. Is it really that interesting for newcomers either? Actually, given how much of the game is lost on people who never played the original, I'd be genuinely surprised if many newcomers even made it that far. 

I am intrigued to see where Square takes the story next - and who knows? Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I just don't get why they messed with the context of the whole damn story. Major plot points of the original game are significant all on their own, and always have been. I don't need this "defying fate" cliche hanging over things.

• Like 1

On 2.6.2020 at 1:06 AM, Lonemankane said:

I think they basically copy and pasted ff13's style of let the game play itself and had a crapy story as well but that is me, I only played the demo and I saw videos of the game and it looks bad because the dev of kh thought it would be good to do nothing but fan service up the ass for sephiroth randomly popping up everywhere and so on.

Wasn't bad

7 remake not bad either

On 2.6.2020 at 0:38 AM, Bos10George said:

I loved the original, as did many others. I don't think you can play through this game to its ending after playing the original and call it an acceptable remake. The game looks fantastic and feeds on your nostalgia, but at the end of the day it ends up being a sub-par action RPG wearing the skin of the original Final Fantasy VII. I can't say I hated the whole thing. I liked how they expanded upon the story, added depth to characters, and added a few additional characters to make Midgar feel like a place people would actually live. However, those feelings are based on my love for the original and if I didn't have that inner bias and desire to enjoy this more, this game would rank much lower. There are 2 points that upset me most about this reboot.

1) They changed the story.

This is the ultimate sin IMO for any remake and especially this one. Adding content to expand the original storyline is fine, but to outright change the story is unforgivable. Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie were meant to die in the sector 7 collapse. Their deaths would have really driven the point of how horrible Shinra was especially after the character development that was added in the remake. Instead the entire plate collapse seemed like a silly pointless joke with no actual consequences. Shinra dropped a CITY on the sector 7 slums and not only do Biggs, Wedge, and every notable character survive, but you can detour back to the area in a way that makes it seem like the plate above was only a prop made of paper. Also, the ending was an anime dumpster fire meant for people that wanted more Kingdom Hearts. Here is something that didn't happen in the original: Sephiroth kills Barrett, but he is fine now because the ghosts of fate say it's not allowed. Oh and Zack is apparently not dead, which annoys fans of the original and confuses everyone else. With that said, if we are dealing with an alternate reality where everyone is alive and everything is sunshine, how can this still be considered a FFVII Remake?

2) There is no scenario where this game is completed.

Soon they will have to release the next part and then they won't be able to call it just "FFVII Remake" with the exact box art from the original full game. There will be either a DLC expansion or a new game called FF7 Remake Part 2. The uninformed that thought this was the complete original aren't going to drop more money for the next 2+ installments. Those that never played the original and bought this thinking "hey, now I can play this game I heard so much about" will either not finish the game because they were never interested in the first place (only 50% have actually finished the game as per PSN trophy percentage currently) or they will actually finish it and wonder what the hell actually happened because the ending makes little sense. Lastly, the fans that wanted this for so long are presumably the only real market for the remainder of this story. For me personally, I am willing to try one more in the hopes that they get back on track. I know it won't, but I'll begrudgingly do it anyway. Bottom line though, when the next part gets only 25% of the remakes revenue, will SquareEnix even bother with another episode? Not to forget, we don't know if they are going to charge full price for each portion or not. Can we even expect the same (visual) quality down the line? If you read any articles, they did not have an established game plan (no pun intended) for how many episodes this would be and when subsequent parts would release. "We have a general idea of how the story will play out, but we haven't decided exactly [how many parts], nor can we confirm anything," Yoshinore Kitase the freaking executive producer. Even if they start marketing this honestly and call this game FFVII Alternate Dimension, the damage is done and the hype will not be there to carry the project through.

Alright, I got that off my chest. Go ahead and throw me your shade, or surprise me and provide a reasonable discussion about this.

We don't know if jessie died

We know the corporation sucks

Alternate timeline yes

Some of what you call changes were meant to be like that in the orginal

On 9.5.2021 at 4:12 PM, Vogue-Homme said:

I liked this game a lot and some of the changes were nice and refreshing. The one thing I didn't like was that Sephiroth popped up the whole time. In the original you didn't see him in the beginning at all (iirc), there were only a couple of mentions of him. Then suddenly you find President Shinra dead in his office with a long sword in his back. I much prefer that over this, where you can kinda see it coming.

You see him, sure, but you still have no idea

On 18.4.2021 at 1:30 AM, Alayaes said:

I thought, and still think, the following.

Pros:

• voice acting (some)
  • graphics
  • atmosphere
  • music (some)
  • gameplay and combat (mostly)

Cons:

• Horrible pacing. The entire game in Midgar with essentially the exact same plot points as the original (4 hours) but padded and filled to make it 40 hours was just a terrible choice. I feel like I’ve accomplished the same in 40 hours as I did in the original in 4 hours. That’s 36 hours of crap I found forgettable and boring.
  • Leslie. What a nonsensical addition and chapter.
  • Garbage writing (not just the ending. The entire thing is a melodramatic anime mess)
  • Jessie
  • Sector 7 plate drop was a complete cop out and a stunning miss.
  • Filler content
  • Sidequests uninspired and boring
  • Jessie
  • Hard Mode not allowing items just feels lazy. Still not hard but now just tedious.
  • Anime-ish nonsense. Melodramatic acting and body language. Cloud can jump 90 feet during a cutscene with all the acrobatics of a Super Saiyan but needs Aeris (yeah, not AeriTH) to drop a ladder for him because of a 9 foot wall. Please.
  • Jessie.

My biggest gaming disappointment of my lifetime. Ran back and finished the original again. Still my favorite video game of all time by a very large margin.

Your entire point is yikes

On 5.6.2020 at 3:53 PM, elita0ne1977 said:

You wanna take one of the best games ever and split it up into 4 or so full length games , expanding on the world and experiences? You wanna make a few story changes so we’re somewhat in suspense? Take my damn money!

on another note , why does every single game have a post about how bad or disappointing that game was. Really starting to think this is a site full of hardcore gamers that hate games. 

Agreed

I haven't played the original, for me, this is a 100% full complete game more than 99% of the games ou there, what? Resident Evil beat it in ~10 hours vs FF7 huge RPG 40-60 hours and FF7 is the incomplete game? ha? even if the Remake is not the full FF7 story, it is a full story arc within itself, just like God Of War 2018 is not a full story, we're waiting to see how it continues in Ragnarock, this is nothing new, game quality, OST, graphics, everything is amazing, I love it

On 5.6.2020 at 6:14 PM, Alayaes said:

I disagree. I find that if it's subtle or rarer then it's more easily acceptable. Even as a child, I did ask myself why we couldn't just use a Phoenix Down on Aeris, but it was fine because it wasn't happening every 10 minutes. In FF7R, Barrett literally shoots at stuff CONSTANTLY and it does NOTHING. How long did he shoot at the TV screen during the pillar scene? It looks so pointless and silly, lol. Or a scene that has Tifa dangling from light fixtures to leap into the receptionist kiosk, only to fall 10' and say "I was sure I was going to die". Really? We're supposed to feel thrilled as the player that Tifa is in danger, but it's ridiculous because she falls from 50'+ all the time while leaping even higher herself—all effortless. It removes all stakes and it makes it hard to be invested when your characters have superhuman abilities in one scene (because "it's cool") followed by the same situation suddenly causing our characters to supposedly be in danger during the next scene.

In the original, you were in danger at the end of Midgar. You were a failed rebel group that lost most of its members, low level, barely hanging on by a thread with barely any knowledge of Materia, weaponry, combat, or anything. On top of that, you were supposed to go out into the big world to chase an enemy we've only heard about/seen the consequences of without heavy exposition. It's a build-up that's subtle, mysterious, and fantastic. Now you're a group of superhumans, and one holy clairvoyant saint, that's constantly having to be reminded just how big and bad Sephiroth is in case you forgot to feel threatened because of the Firagas you sling around and Godlike status you've attained.

I do complain that it's too anime because it feels like it was made by teenage boys for teenage boys. The leap in technology has only harmed JRPGs, in my opinion, because it further honed in on just how corny and cheesy it all is. Text blocks just didn't have the ability to make things as awkward as voices, especially when the English localization team tries to be Japanese. Anime =/= unrealistic. It's the presentation and the emphasis on particular elements. It's the thirsty women that drool over the main character for no reason. It's the over-the-top nonsense and melodramatic acting in every scene. It's the awkward gestures and weird emotional outbursts that happen randomly. His 800-lbs sword isn't the problem. It's when he suddenly loses that fantastical strength 5 minutes later. 

And when he doesn't take it off when you climb up an airduct. That was goofy. 

Yikes

On 2.6.2020 at 1:43 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Square hasn't learned their lesson from FF13 unfortunately. 

While I only watched, and the shift from turn based rpg to the cookie cutter arpg is another argument, it's ominous they decided to go with  this episodic take,  just like they decided to shat out not one, but two sequels to the mediocre received FF13  at the time, they're repeating themselves now, and even worse, I can't image less than AT LEAST three parts, the fanbase will burn itself out quickly before the finishing line.

13 was good

• Like 1

The Remake problem is that since it is a remake it will almost always be compared to the original.

As a stand alone I find the game was pretty ok, there were parts I loved, and there were parts that I did not like, but that's the same with alot of games nowadays.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:47 PM, lostforever77 said:

13 was good

Hear hear. 13 is unfairly maligned. People whine about it being “too linear” but FFX is structured almost exactly the same way (and has way rougher writing and voice acting). Not a top 5 FF by any means, but absolutely not some grave creative disaster to be wary of. 

Also, FF7R will get a sequel, but it has a complete arc. The entire game is about its creators trying to break free of overwrought fan expectations. It’s one of the only games that even has the opportunity to explore the themes it does and play with the legacy of an existing game the way it does. That’s the whole point of the project: to reimagine a classic work, and explore what it means/takes to actually do that. The PS1 game still exists.

Edited by JD-D2

4 hours ago, lostforever77 said:

FF7 remake does suck as it is not a full game it is like saying metal gear ground zeroes is great because it is another game to the metal gear games. The problem with FF7remake is that it is not a real remake, it is a completely different game from what it is meant to be a remake of. As people wanted ff7remake to be a remake/ retelling of the past story just look abit better and maybe change some of the plot as in add abit of a better detail to a part of the game. Take the RE1 remake, it is one of the best because it takes the first re game and builds from what it had, it gets rid of some dum parts of the plot like the dumass voice acting and retell the plot in a more better way without so much cheese. As with a bad example I can point out to RE3 remake, it fails due to being basically half of the og game and the added bits to the plot are somewhat cool like the ptsd Jill has but it kind of falls apart when it is not even used much as it could of been used to explain some of the og parts of the game like the clock tower part and so on.

FF7 remake fails as a fact as it is just like RE3 remake, barely half the game however it is worse than RE3 as FF7 was 3 discs so your willing to pay 50 or $/£60 each time for another part of the plot that should of been in the first part and worse of all the plot of said game is nothing to do with the og FF7 game it is not a remake it is a Reimagine of the game and selling it as a remake/ retelling is just flat out bad.

10 hours ago, lostforever77 said:

Yikes

13 was good

Maybe to someone who didn’t have to plat it several times and just stopped at the main story like yourself. As I was forced to, due to circumstances,I was reminded constantly of its failings, so I can, without a shred of remorse, say that the battle system made it a worst experience than Final Fantasy 2, who at least had a competent villain, unlike the usual posadist villains Square seems fond of.

9 hours ago, JD-D2 said:

Hear hear. 13 is unfairly maligned. People whine about it being “too linear” but FFX is structured almost exactly the same way (and has way rougher writing and voice acting). Not at top 5 FF by any means, but absolutely not some grave creative disaster to be wary of. 

Also, FF7R will get a sequel, but it has a complete arc. The entire game is about its creators trying to break free of overwrought fan expectations. It’s one of the only games that even has the opportunity to explore the themes it does and play with the legacy of an existing game the way it does. That’s the whole point of the project: to reimagine a classic work, and explore what it means/takes to actually do that. The PS1 game still exists.

Final Fantasy X is not linear.

Those that say it’s linear just look at it from the lens of wrpgs like Skyrim.

Is playstyle building limited like  in 13, where you’re punished  by having  impossible amount of CPs to fill? No, you’re even encouraged with level keys early on.

Is the battle system suffocating, and forcing you to do an action (stagger) on every single enemies to win? No, you have several ways to win, each character representing a class archetype 

Is the game linear in what you can do, like 13 where it’s only battle and dead cities? No, it’s a colourful world full of life, and several activities to flesh out said world, and also  Blitzball, all activities, except theatre and dictionaries  are also tied to Celestial weapons, so that you can get  an advantage later on in battles.

Look at it this way, X-2 could re-use assets because the world  was fleshed out and memorable, so they brought more ironing out, XIII-2? They had to scrap the entire set, all areas were dead to begin with.

Or are you talking about the map? Do you really think that having some kind of interconnection between Luka and Bevelle  would  have made the world better? Regardless that Sin itself reshapes the geography of the planet,  they’re on a pilgrimage, and require to visit all temples.

Or, it’s the linearity of the story? Because 13 had the entire cast being railroaded to do what the villain wants, and actually end up   destroying Cocoon, they’re saved by a literal Deus ex machina in the form of Etro later on, something that the cast couldn’t have predicted at the time. 10, as soon as you stop the pilgrimage the entire world opens up, and I don’t mean like 13, where there are 5 dead areas interconnected, the entire planet can be visited via airship.

13 is nothing like 10, it’s like asking a kid to imitate 10, everything it does, even something like the level up system, is a bad, simplified, while at the same time oppressive take on what 10 did.

15 may have been an arpg, something inconceivable at the time for FF, but 13 already fucked it up with the stagger system.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

I didn't love it. But I am enjoying playing this. I'm actually taking the time to do the Platinum. Game play is fun, story is very 'meh' and a lot of the changes I'm seeing I don't really care for. Fleshing out of characters seems pointless when somebody like Jessie feels so unlikeable and non-important.

But on the other other hand, even the cringy things (like Cloud's makeover) genuinely made me chuckle, and at the end of the day, being able to laugh is a good thing. *shrugs*. Bottom line, I'm getting more enjoyment than disappointment from this game. 

I'm not a die hard fan of the original (or Final Fantasy in general), so I don't know if that affects my opinion at all. I was more let down by the RE3 remake than this (being a huge RE fan).

Edited by UberniXi

On 1.6.2021 at 7:12 AM, Lonemankane said:

FF7 remake does suck as it is not a full game it is like saying metal gear ground zeroes is great because it is another game to the metal gear games. The problem with FF7remake is that it is not a real remake, it is a completely different game from what it is meant to be a remake of. As people wanted ff7remake to be a remake/ retelling of the past story just look abit better and maybe change some of the plot as in add abit of a better detail to a part of the game. Take the RE1 remake, it is one of the best because it takes the first re game and builds from what it had, it gets rid of some dum parts of the plot like the dumass voice acting and retell the plot in a more better way without so much cheese. As with a bad example I can point out to RE3 remake, it fails due to being basically half of the og game and the added bits to the plot are somewhat cool like the ptsd Jill has but it kind of falls apart when it is not even used much as it could of been used to explain some of the og parts of the game like the clock tower part and so on.

FF7 remake fails as a fact as it is just like RE3 remake, barely half the game however it is worse than RE3 as FF7 was 3 discs so your willing to pay 50 or $/£60 each time for another part of the plot that should of been in the first part and worse of all the plot of said game is nothing to do with the og FF7 game it is not a remake it is a Reimagine of the game and selling it as a remake/ retelling is just flat out bad.

Look up what remake means

On 1.6.2021 at 0:22 PM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Maybe to someone who didn’t have to plat it several times and just stopped at the main story like yourself. As I was forced to, due to circumstances,I was reminded constantly of its failings, so I can, without a shred of remorse, say that the battle system made it a worst experience than Final Fantasy 2, who at least had a competent villain, unlike the usual posadist villains Square seems fond of.

Is playstyle building limited like  in 13, where you’re punished  by having  impossible amount of CPs to fill? No, you’re even encouraged with level keys early on.

Is the battle system suffocating, and forcing you to do an action (stagger) on every single enemies to win? No, you have several ways to win, each character representing a class archetype 

Is the game linear in what you can do, like 13 where it’s only battle and dead cities? No, it’s a colourful world full of life, and several activities to flesh out said world, and also  Blitzball, all activities, except theatre and dictionaries  are also tied to Celestial weapons, so that you can get  an advantage later on in battles.

Look at it this way, X-2 could re-use assets because the world  was fleshed out and memorable, so they brought more ironing out, XIII-2? They had to scrap the entire set, all areas were dead to begin with.

Or are you talking about the map? Do you really think that having some kind of interconnection between Luka and Bevelle  would  have made the world better? Regardless that Sin itself reshapes the geography of the planet,  they’re on a pilgrimage, and require to visit all temples.

Or, it’s the linearity of the story? Because 13 had the entire cast being railroaded to do what the villain wants, and actually end up   destroying Cocoon, they’re saved by a literal Deus ex machina in the form of Etro later on, something that the cast couldn’t have predicted at the time. 10, as soon as you stop the pilgrimage the entire world opens up, and I don’t mean like 13, where there are 5 dead areas interconnected, the entire planet can be visited via airship.

13 is nothing like 10, it’s like asking a kid to imitate 10, everything it does, even something like the level up system, is a bad, simplified, while at the same time oppressive take on what 10 did.

15 may have been an arpg, something inconceivable at the time for FF, but 13 already fucked it up with the stagger system.

I'll platinum it and still say I love it

You just failed, it's fine

1 hour ago, lostforever77 said:

I know what remake means but it still does not justify the bs they are pulling, it is like buying a car that is meant to be how you saw in the store but when you get it, it has two flat wheels and when you do replace the wheels it only goes half the speed it said it can. You failed to see the problems with this so called remake as a shot for shot remake is something like demon souls or the shadow of the colossus remakes this is a reimagining of the ff7 game/ story and is only 25% of the og game. it is not worth the full price it askes and worse it is misleading to the fans of the og game. And trying to defend this, in the manner your doing is completely childish. Your wrong get over it and move along.

Edited by Lonemankane

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2021 at 11:22 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

I have no clue why someone would think ff10 is linear. I mean I hate the game due to the grind and the cringey love story and to 100% it can go right the fuck off but the gameplay itself shines like a god damn sun ray when it comes to it. it is one of the best combat system in the series. it has a lot of flaws but it is by far better than FF13 as that game is just dragging you like a ball in chain from plot beat to plot beat. It is just a boring drag of a game and if you enjoy ff13 great glad you enjoy it but the facts here is that the reason why it fails is due to how crap it is compared to the past games. It is like the silent hill series. I love 4 the most even though people hate it but I can understand why they do as going from 2 and 3 and going to 4 is like waking up on a bed made of just pillows then a real normal bed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lostforever77 said:

I'll platinum it and still say I love it

You just failed, it's fine

Your opinion, as much  as you want to push for it being objective, is subjective,  so I don’t really care.

It’s just that I find funny that you wasted more time defending the game, rather than actually playing it,  it really says it all in my eyes.

• Like 2

I liked the game and think the Story is quite clever.

Because, lets face it, FF7 is one of the well known video games in history. Most people know the Story, and for those who dont the changes dont even matter.

If it were just a 1/1 remake, meaning basically the same game released in 97(?), just with better graphics.. well that would have been a let down. A cash grab, a save bet.

And that would have been boring. Because a RPG lives from the story, and soooo many people know what will happen. 

Been a while since i saw i Video on YT (cant find it now), where a dude explained it pretty good. 

MINOR SPOILER ALERT FOR EVERYONE WHO NEVER PLAYED FF7

In short: the developers made the game knowing the players know the whole story of it beforehand. We knew what will happen to Aerith. And while on one hand, the game gives us now, in the next games parts, the chance to change not only her destiny, but also others.. saving Reds Father? why not! prevent Barrets best buddys suicide? sure!

now we cant change the destiny's of our favorite heroes for the better!!

BUT, and thats the crucial part... we ending we got in FF7 was the BEST possible. Shinra went down, Sephiroth and Jenova too. The world was saved.. everyone but Aerith, one of the first waifu´s before that was even a thing.

My guess is, thats what we will get in the next parts of FF7. We will get the chance to change the whole story, only to realize that everything will go to shit in the end. Hard. So we have to willingly sacrifice Aerith to reestablish the "normal" timeline.

Anyways, i had fun, only downside is we have to wait for the other episodes. Thats the worst part of the game..

I wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks, as I found it to be very enjoyable. The gameplay was fun, the nostalgia was there, and the game actually had a challenging platinum, unlike a lot AAA PS4 games these days.

I do agree with you regarding the two points that really upset you though. On top of those two points, I'm very upset at the very obvious padding in the remake. The expansion of the sewer map is a prime example. I also don't like how the next FF7R entry will not be coming to PS4.

I finished this game in April and it quickly became one of my most favourite games, even though I really don't like anything stereotypical-japanise-anime-etc. (I even bought Original a few minutes ago and will probably make it my 125th plat). Characters, their voices and interactions are great, combat at first bothered me, but I accustomed after some time and the OST is a fckin piece of art, The Airbuster Theme is sooo good. But yes, like many of you said earlier, there were too many stretched segments and sidequests were simply boring as hell. I think I like the whole "Whispers and fate" thing, bcs I'm just into such stories, especially when it comes to Aerith here, we simply can't be sure in which direction we will go and this is good.

Edited by Cerber108
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:37 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

2: In the original I loved the little things like having to give cpr to the kid after the plate crashes. I agree with the OP that the plate smash in this game felt very sugar filled and took away the true horror that it should have depicted. I think a rescue mission on civilians should have been a major part of this game.  

The only time you do CPR in the original is to Priscilla in Junon, which we are nowhere near, had nothing to do with the plate falling.

And I have to disagree with the plate falling part, I think given the technology and way they delivered it, you saw all of the slums that were being impacted..being ravaged by the damage. Did we see a lot of dead bodies? No, but Aerith does go and look for Marlene, and Wedge gathers as many people as possible. There's a way of telling the story without actually telling it or showing it, and leaving it up to the interpretation and imagination of the people playing/watching. Cloud and the gang were pretttyyyy busy up there getting punched and crap by the Turks so it's hard to see how they could've done what they did, plus save a bunch of people. In the end it's just like the original where they chose to fight to protect the people of Midgar, but in the end they were already set up to fail. That's the whole point of the plate breaking, so Avalanche BECOMES the bad guy, it was designed for them to fail, or else they don't have the same reasons to go after Shinra, or at least not as hard. Sure, the remake could've changed that, but then there would have to be some other thing that happens to avalanche to get put the blame on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lonemankane said:

I know what remake means but it still does not justify the bs they are pulling, it is like buying a car that is meant to be how you saw in the store but when you get it, it has two flat wheels and when you do replace the wheels it only goes half the speed it said it can. You failed to see the problems with this so called remake as a shot for shot remake is something like demon souls or the shadow of the colossus remakes this is a reimagining of the ff7 game/ story and is only 25% of the og game. it is not worth the full price it askes and worse it is misleading to the fans of the og game. And trying to defend this, in the manner your doing is completely childish. Your wrong get over it and move along.

No, you don't know

It's an amazing game, seems like you didn't understand

9 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Your opinion, as much  as you want to push for it being objective, is subjective,  so I don’t really care.

It’s just that I find funny that you wasted more time defending the game, rather than actually playing it,  it really says it all in my eyes.

You see that I've finished 13, 7 and 13 2, right? Taken around 200 hours at least and that I've spend like 5 minutes defending the games, right? And that I'm currently on my way to platinum said games, right? Guess not

Then please understand that now, thank you

On 2020-06-01 at 6:38 PM, Bos10George said:

I loved the original, as did many others. I don't think you can play through this game to its ending after playing the original and call it an acceptable remake. The game looks fantastic and feeds on your nostalgia, but at the end of the day it ends up being a sub-par action RPG wearing the skin of the original Final Fantasy VII. I can't say I hated the whole thing. I liked how they expanded upon the story, added depth to characters, and added a few additional characters to make Midgar feel like a place people would actually live. However, those feelings are based on my love for the original and if I didn't have that inner bias and desire to enjoy this more, this game would rank much lower. There are 2 points that upset me most about this reboot.

1) They changed the story.

This is the ultimate sin IMO for any remake and especially this one. Adding content to expand the original storyline is fine, but to outright change the story is unforgivable. Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie were meant to die in the sector 7 collapse. Their deaths would have really driven the point of how horrible Shinra was especially after the character development that was added in the remake. Instead the entire plate collapse seemed like a silly pointless joke with no actual consequences. Shinra dropped a CITY on the sector 7 slums and not only do Biggs, Wedge, and every notable character survive, but you can detour back to the area in a way that makes it seem like the plate above was only a prop made of paper. Also, the ending was an anime dumpster fire meant for people that wanted more Kingdom Hearts. Here is something that didn't happen in the original: Sephiroth kills Barrett, but he is fine now because the ghosts of fate say it's not allowed. Oh and Zack is apparently not dead, which annoys fans of the original and confuses everyone else. With that said, if we are dealing with an alternate reality where everyone is alive and everything is sunshine, how can this still be considered a FFVII Remake?

2) There is no scenario where this game is completed.

Soon they will have to release the next part and then they won't be able to call it just "FFVII Remake" with the exact box art from the original full game. There will be either a DLC expansion or a new game called FF7 Remake Part 2. The uninformed that thought this was the complete original aren't going to drop more money for the next 2+ installments. Those that never played the original and bought this thinking "hey, now I can play this game I heard so much about" will either not finish the game because they were never interested in the first place (only 50% have actually finished the game as per PSN trophy percentage currently) or they will actually finish it and wonder what the hell actually happened because the ending makes little sense. Lastly, the fans that wanted this for so long are presumably the only real market for the remainder of this story. For me personally, I am willing to try one more in the hopes that they get back on track. I know it won't, but I'll begrudgingly do it anyway. Bottom line though, when the next part gets only 25% of the remakes revenue, will SquareEnix even bother with another episode? Not to forget, we don't know if they are going to charge full price for each portion or not. Can we even expect the same (visual) quality down the line? If you read any articles, they did not have an established game plan (no pun intended) for how many episodes this would be and when subsequent parts would release. "We have a general idea of how the story will play out, but we haven't decided exactly [how many parts], nor can we confirm anything," Yoshinore Kitase the freaking executive producer. Even if they start marketing this honestly and call this game FFVII Alternate Dimension, the damage is done and the hype will not be there to carry the project through.

Alright, I got that off my chest. Go ahead and throw me your shade, or surprise me and provide a reasonable discussion about this.

Imagine crying like a bitch that a game wasn’t the exact same as the original with better graphics. If you had any semblance of IQ, you would understand 95% of this game, is FF7 Original with bonus side content and character development, better graphics and awesome combat enhancements. The ending being different, and not understanding the plot and ideas of what they were setting up subtlety through the entire game, is you being nostalgic for something in the past, and lacking the mental awareness to know this is going in a way more interesting direction. Search up some spoiler casts and do a minuscule amount of research into the lore, and you’ll be much more excited for what’s to come :)

On 2021-06-01 at 6:22 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Final fantasy 10 is linear, you just put up with it because the story and characters are great. 10 is also my favorite Final Fantasy game, but to try and say ‘you can go anywhere on the planet’ is a good meme considering you stay on the exact same level of linear as FF13. Don’t be salty, just accept linear games are fine, and storylines/characters can make the difference between good and bad games. :)

• Like 2

I remember finishing Final Fantasy 7 back on the Playstation 1, I completed it over the years since then about 5 times and loved it every time, when I found out the remake was actually happening I was excited. I watched all of the videos that came out and saw that the gameplay was different and I was okay with that and then the game came out.

I will admit while I still enjoyed the ever living hell out of the game and finally getting to see the characters talk and interact with each other, (AND FALLING LOVE WITH HOW AERITH IS DONE IN THIS GAME), I was confused by some of the changes because at that point I didn't know what the game was trying to do, once I understood what was going on it excited me because I can't wait to see what they have in store for all of those characters now! Seeing Cait Sith very early on caused me to fanboy a little... that cute fluffy mother fucker is adorable!

End of the day there is gonna be people who hate the remake and people who love the remake and can't wait for more

Edited by Sylvanticore