Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021)

Ghost

Unlike one other phony developer and a certain IP, I respect Insomniac Games even more for being so loyal to the Ratchet & Clank franchise, especially after (the amazing) Spider-Man and its tremendous success.

• Did you guys notice the Jak & Daxter easter egg? I read some YouTube comments where people mentioned the city Ratchet and Clank flew through looked like Haven City from Jak II. I looked again, and it does, indeed. The characters even said something like "Where are we?" - "Beats me". 

Yes, I noticed the nod. I think SIE have had plans to revive the Jak and Daxter series for a while. SIE has been supporting them every generation in some notable way, with the recent being a physical and collector's edition re-release of the four Naughty Dog installments emulated from PS2 on PS4.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Creative Director Discusses PS5 Advantages (credit to Gematsu):

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart creative director Marcus Smith has shared more information about how the newly announced game utilizes the power of PlayStation 5’s SSD, DualSense wireless controller, and 3D spatial audio in a new developer diary published today. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is in development for PlayStation 5. A release date has yet to be announced.

Get the developer diary and transcript below.

Hi, I’m Marcus Smith, and today I’m gonna be showing you a little bit more of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, a brand new game built from the ground up for the PlayStation 5.

This is the first Ratchet & Clank adventure that we’ve done in a long time, and we’re super excited. This is the game that tells the story of an archnemesis coming to town and accidentally damaging the fabric of space time, causing dimensional rifts to erupt all throughout the world.

Ratchet & Clank is a series that prides itself on exploration of exotic worlds and bringing you to places you’ve never been before. And that’s something that we’re really striving for, and that PlayStation 5 has really allowed with just increased horsepower. The number of objects in the world and the things to explore, the enemies around, the effects, everything is more, more, more. This is what we’re trying to do is build worlds that feel real and are bringing you in. You’re exploring these brand new spaces. And this is something that we never could have done on previous generations.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a game that utilizes dimensions and dimensional rifts, and that would not have been possible without the solid-state drive of the PlayStation 5. The SSD is screamingly fast. It allows us to build worlds and project players from one place to another in near instantaneous speeds. It is an unbelievable game changer in terms of, we can now do gameplay where you’re in one world, and the next moment you’re in another. We’re loading up levels that happen so quickly and in the action that you don’t even imagine that this is something we couldn’t do before because it feels so natural. Long gone are loading screens. Now it’s all about bringing exciting, new adventures.

The DualSense Controller of the PlayStation 5 is tailor-made for Ratchet & Clank weaponry. The amount of tactile feedback that you get when you’re using our weapons is it makes them feel way more powerful, and also lets you know how the weapon is behaving. One of the examples of our weapons is The Enforcer. It’s like a double-barreled shotgun and it uses the adaptive triggers to give you tension. As you’re moving your finger down halfway, you can fire one barrel. If you pull it all the way down, you can fire both barrels. But all along the way, you can feel the difference between the tension tightening up, and it just makes all of our weapons much more immersive and powerful feeling.

Another thing we can’t wait for you to experience is 3D spatial audio. This really is a fundamental difference between listening to a television set and going out into the middle of a forest. It brings you into these worlds in a way that you’ve never been able to do before.

We at Insomniac have been working on Ratchet & Clank for almost twenty years. These are characters that we love. And this is really the culmination of all that work and effort that we’ve put in. We can’t wait to show you more about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in the future, but until then, thanks for watching.

SOURCE: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-creative-director-discusses-ps5-advantages

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Ghost said:

The way the game immediately goes into gameplay mode from the start menu - it makes me wonder if the background area will change based on where you're at in the game. The game seems to pick up where the last play session ended and warps them in after pressing the "X" button. It's a further demonstration of the PS5's super fast SSD. 

Edited by PlanetCheat
  • Like 2

In a interview with Famitsu, the developers confirmed the game will have two resolution modes: 30 FPS at 4K and 60 FPS at a lower resolution.

The developers also spoke about the new DualSense controller for the PS5 and how it will be used in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Each gun will have its own feel on the controller, making each weapon truly unique in how they play.

PurePlaystation

Edited by Ghost
typo
  • Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 6:53 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Not 1 second of Qwark, 0/10

Knowing Qwark, he'll show up in the middle of all of this mess since naturally,  he's the one who broke some doohickey, causing the dimension collapse in the first place.

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

Knowing Qwark, he'll show up in the middle of all of this mess since naturally,  he's the one who broke some doohickey, causing the dimension collapse in the first place.

All part of the master plan. You cant understand it because he is playing chess while you are just playing checkers.

4 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

All part of the master plan. You cant understand it because he is playing chess while you are just playing checkers.

i dont always play checkers but when i do,even sofloantonio cant beat me -  The Most Interesting Man In The World | Meme Generator

Seriously though. I'm looking forward to seeing a new installation of R&C. I wonder if this means they won't be going to remake R&C 2 anytime soon.

Edited by dakk55

1 hour ago, dakk55 said:

i dont always play checkers but when i do,even sofloantonio cant beat me -  The Most Interesting Man In The World | Meme Generator

Seriously though. I'm looking forward to seeing a new installation of R&C. I wonder if this means they won't be going to remake R&C 2 anytime soon.

I would love a remake of R&C 2 (my favourite Ratchet). It was actually the first game I ever played on PS2 so I had no idea why that Qwark guy was hiding from everyone. It was years before I ever played the first one :P

But at the end of the day I will always take a new Ratchet game. Even All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault weren't terrible if you played them with friends (and of course I got to play as Qwark so they instantly became better :D)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Playstation website for Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart confirmed the following:

It will run at 60 FPS at performance mode. It will also run at 4K resolution with HDR.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/

3HnjIlD.png 

Edited by Ghost

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Well at least I have a timeframe now of how long I have to find a PS5...

there's no way in hell i'll find out by that date

God help us that Playstation does a HUGE supply and demand by then. I just want to walk into a store and pick up a PS5 like I did with all my consoles. I feel like June we might be able to. They need to hunt down these scalpers and force some type of law so we the gamers can enjoy getting current gens already. 

I really liked the 2016 R&C game. Definitely gonna play this one, but I have to wait for a price drop. $90 (Canadian) is too much money. And if I buy it after July 1, I think I'll also have to pay sales taxes on top of that, so it'll be $101.69. ?

Also I haven't played any other R&C game.. but I'm gonna assume plot isn't the most important feature of this series.

• 2 months later...

Man I hope they never stop making Ratchet and Clank games! Been playing them since I was a kid and I am never gonna stop, also Rivet is a cute name. 

• Like 1

On 19.2.2021 at 5:21 PM, peffsi said:

I really liked the 2016 R&C game. Definitely gonna play this one, but I have to wait for a price drop. $90 (Canadian) is too much money. And if I buy it after July 1, I think I'll also have to pay sales taxes on top of that, so it'll be $101.69. 1f635.png

Also I haven't played any other R&C game.. but I'm gonna assume plot isn't the most important feature of this series.

I think it will follow on from the events of Into the Nexus.

But luckily there's YouTube and you can fill in the gaps in your knowledge.