[POLL] What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

Shenka

What type of trophy do you dislike the most?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. What type of trophy do you dislike the most?

• Collectible Trophies
    • Difficulty Trophies
    • Online Trophies
    • DLC Trophies
    • Speedrun Trophies
    • Grindy Trophies (Of any variety)

I would say Online  trophies but think a lot of the ones I usually end up disliking end up being grindy trophies
like Digimon All Star Rumble- Wanted 110+ Playthroughs
Godzilla-50+ playthroughs
Rayman Legends Truly Awesome trophy- Reach level 11(This one was pretty bad, almost wanted to snap the disc in half mostly because I didn't want to play the game anymore)
Then the current one I am doing being Tom Clancy's hawx which has a lot of grinding in it between getting 200 kills with certain weapons and such.
or fighting games that want 200 victories.
I don't mind grinding some in games, but requiring 200+ victories or 10,000 kills on something seems a bit excessive. 
 Almost kind of wish most games did trophies like the Crash bandicoot games being at least somewhat difficult to get, but doable and nothing too grindy and no online trophies.
 Didn't really mind the time trials in those games too much, aside from having to memorize the entire stage on some stages so I knew what was coming up.

As for other Speedrun trophies kind of hate them in games like God of War, The Last Guardian and such since I don't have a countdown timer of how long I have left.
As for collectible trophies those only become a problem like in Infamous trying to find that last Shard in a massive city.
Overall I still probably go with Grindy trophies so far.

I have three types I hate

1) online trophies, based on ranking or being competitive 

2) online trophies in Sony games (they turn off online features)

3) collectibles without tracking progress

I also do not like if you have to play game, which gives you freedom of choice at every step, some very specific way, because most of its trophies are missable. That does not apply to games like visual novels, which are designed to be finished multiple times.

3 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

My pet peeve trophy type isn't an option on the poll: trophies that force you to play badly, such as Suicidal Tendencies. I can't stand having to repeatedly kill myself after already beating a game, just because I wasn't terrible enough to earn the "die 100 times" trophy (or whatever) naturally.

Of the poll options, it's a tie between collectibles and online (I voted for the former). I actually really enjoy speedrun trophies, though.

Alien Isolation has a trophy like that.  100 Times Too Many, I remember when I was looking at the list.  It's right above the difficulty trophy in rarity so I figured I would've got it naturally going for that, but nope.

Edited by Ilzaki
  • Like 1

Speed runs I am... okay with, I mean, like Kingdom Hearts, completing the game within 15 hours was fine, but then there's one like in God of War (the first one, not the 2018 one) where the game was suppose to be done in a set time.  So that sort of trophy... it's a hit and miss for me.

But online trophies, no thank you.  In particular, multiplayer ones where you have to deal with humans online, those are just not my cup of tea at all (and I don't even drink tea).  So ones in fighting games where you have to win matches, nope.  Only did it once with PlayStation All Stars, and that was forever ago now.

The only time I would really find them acceptable would be where you can just play a match or two, not worry about win or loose, you know, like getting a participation medal, I'll be fine with something like that.

I voted for difficulty trophies because I think games with no death trophies fit into that category and these are the worst imo. Outlast 2, Max Payne 3, Wolfenstein 2, Super Meat Boy and so on, to name just a few examples.

What I hate in addition are trophies starting with „complete all...“ so I guess these fit into the grindy trophies category.

Online trophies specifically multiplayer trophies. They add an expiration date to games and more often that not, the games that have these annoying multiplayer trophies are single player games. So what happens usually is not only do you have to deal with the trophies themselves, but you have to endure and sit through a mind numbing, half baked multiplayer mode that the game's developers clearly didn't even put much effort in. Obviously I don't mind multiplayer trophies on largely multiplayer-focused games like CoD/Battlefield. But man, I'm still bummed about that AC Black Flag plat I didn't get because I was too lazy to get to max level and own/do everything the multiplayer mode had to offer.

Edited by PostGameBlues

Of the available options it's definetly the grind ones, it is somewhat bearable in Vita games since they can be done whenever I can't do anything else, like while on the train, but I do not want to kill the same enemies for forty hours straight just to get an arbitrary amount of money which I'll never use anyway. Other than that there's ones for multiple playthroughs, especially in very long games such as the The Legend of Heroes games. Luck based trophies are absolutely awful as well, since you can't do anything to increase your chances of getting them. And finally trophies related to fishing minigames. I HATE fishing, you literally do nothing other than sitting around and wait until something happens. I don't want that shit in games, especially if there is a trophy involved. Thank fuck Nier Automata allowed you to buy trophies. 

Collectibles, no question. Only when you need a guide to get them. 

I hate having to have a guide up, following the same: play video, pause video, get collectible, play video, pause video, get collectible over and over and over.

No problem at all with games like Spider-Man’s collectibles, as they aren’t a chore.

Nowadays I like dlc trophies less and less. I like the idea of dlc but getting them all can get expansive, why is the season pass of borderlands 3 still 40 in a sale? Yes it's optional but for a lot of games you miss the added story beats if you don't play them.

Missable trophies in RPGs where one single "mistake" or "incorrect" decision ruins the chance to get the trophy and you have to reply the whole game for 60+ hours. That's beyond stupid and only in way forces people to read guides before playing the game, and I refuse to do so.

• Like 1

Online trophies that require wins. I have no skill(s), ngl. 

Don't like difficulty trophies either. :v 

Also, S-rank trophies. 

Funny thing is: I still go for said trophies. But I despise them, I swear.

I chose online trophies like the majority here but I think speedrun trophies are a close second.  I don't mind multiple runs of a game but if I've got to do it on a time limit then it just adds more annoyance than stress.

RNG trophies are usually a little frustrating especially when it's tied into a pointless grind. I think the example I would use is Dragonball Xenoverse games. Although great games, you have to grind for the moves and only a certain few are worth your time in the big picture especially when some fights are 5minutes+ just to pray the move you need drops. There's many out there but that's what I could think of on the top of my head.

I don't think collectibles are as bad as they used to be. At least from games I've played recently. The collectibles mean something to the story and contribute to the overall bigger picture. I just wish all developers did that going forward. Last of us 2 and Ghost are perfect examples of good collectibles.

Edited by ImmortalFox-
  • Like 1

I find some difficulty trophies in general a huge hassle, since a lot of games just follow the basic "enemies do 10x times more damage and you are 5x more squishy". Although some Online trophies are annoying and the servers getting shutdown after a while makes it even worse. So between the 2 of them I vote the Online ones just because they become unattainable at some point.

Edited by S1nhwaui

Speed trophies - my first impulse is to talk to everyone and look around for secrets. I'd feel really uncomfortable doing it. We'll see how I fair with Tales of Vesperia. I don't think I ever had to do a speed trophy before. The thought sends shivers down my spine.

I picked difficulty trophies for this poll, purely because I don’t like trophies that require you to play the game through multiple times. My biggest bug bear with difficulty trophies would be in Zombi for example where they don’t stack ? 

Though I also really dislike online trophies. I’m very much a solo player and I hate when my chances at a platinum rely on someone else ?

I don’t particularly mind speed run trophies if it’s a game designed to be played that way. I don’t really like “finish game in under x hours” trophies in like RPG or adventure games where the gameplay doesn’t really allow for that. 

I don’t mind collectible trophies. San Andreas is one of my all time favourite games and it has so many collectibles (tags, horseshoes, photo ops etc) that I collect without the trophies so if I’m actually being rewarded for my efforts then even better. That being said, any collectible over 100 is excessive and should not be a thing. 

I also don’t mind a grind as long as the grind leads to something. Like a level grind to take on a boss or grinding for certain parts to craft a rare item. The grind I don’t like are stupid kill counts where you mindlessly one tap rubbish enemies for hours on end as they’re just to inflate the playtime of the game and serve no real purpose. 

I don’t care about dlc trophies at all. If it’s a game I like I’ll buy the dlc, but I’m not a completionist so having trophies outwith the plat that I can’t/don’t want to earn isn’t an issue. Have them, don’t have them, it literally makes no difference to how I play games 

Edited by hittheroadbucky

I hate online trophy!!

The reasons are...

1. Online trophy may include PvP which maybe very difficult.

2. You have to play immediate after the game release, or there will be no people playing online.

3. The server maybe shut down or have problem causing unobtainable trophy.

So playing a game which has online trophy is very high risk.

I want to maintain my 100% profile.

So I will avoid a game if it has online trophy.

Call of duty, Far cry, FIFA etc... a lot of game I wanted to play.

But it has online trophy, so I avoid them.